The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Jordan Gross

Among the trade ideas proposed in this article:

Quote:
Panthers trade LT Jordan Gross to Broncos for fifth-round pick

Why the Panthers would do it: Gross is 33, and his contract restructuring from the offseason means that his deal is set to expire on the fifth day of the 2014 league year. He’s more or less in the last year of his contract, and unless Carolina thinks it's a year away, getting something for a player on the verge of retirement doesn’t seem like a bad return.

Why the Panthers wouldn’t do it: Gross is still playing very well, and he’s said the only team he’d be willing to sign with after his deal is up is Carolina. The Panthers could probably keep him for a great price, pick a tackle in the next two years, and spend the next couple seasons easing into the transition.

Why the Broncos should pick up the phone: With Ryan Clady done for the year, Denver’s only real weakness appears to be at left tackle. Replacement Chris Clark played very well against Lamarr Houston on Monday night, but Gross is a proven commodity. Denver has the inside track to the Super Bowl right now, and bringing in a proven left tackle as a one-year rental would be a perfect way to keep it. You can replace “Denver” with “Seattle” in that last sentence, and the point stands.
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...l-trade-market
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

These mid season trades rarely happen and even more rarely work out. In the NFL you're stuck with who you have and must make due.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
BroncsCheer
Scrappy, cerebral poster

There is no dark side on the moon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny T

NFGH
BroncsCheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I liked what Clark did during the Oakland game, he gave up a strip sack to the lone rush threat that Oakland had.

The thing that scares me is that he gave up a strip sack to the lone rush threat Oakland has.

I am guessing teams will pressure him until PM makes them pay or Clark proves he can handle it, I am thinking pass rush centric teams like kFc.

A 5th round pick on the way to a SB is nothing to give up for a quality LT but they seem to have faith in Clark to lock him up. He knows the system, and played well during the PS. There is a big difference between Clady and Clark, it depends on how confident the FO feels. I don't think Winston Justice is anything more than insurance like KM was last year. They must feel in a pinch (should Clark get dinged) they can shuffle the OL during the game or they would have Justice active.

It is hard to tell how good Gross is because Cam moves around so much. I would rather shuffle the OL around than give up the pick at this time.

Thank god for our staff and John Elway! This team has quality depth just about everywhere and they make sure just about everyone plays, esp on D.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I agree Clark played very well on MNF but to get Gross for a 5th would be great
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
TerrElway
Pro Bowler

Watch that strip sack again. I think at least some blame for that sack rests with PFM (Gasp! Heresy!). He had a clean pocket, he never stepped up.

I think that shows how much confidence PFM has in his line.
TerrElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrElway View Post
Watch that strip sack again. I think at least some blame for that sack rests with PFM (Gasp! Heresy!). He had a clean pocket, he never stepped up.

I think that shows how much confidence PFM has in his line.
Gase said it was his fault

Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Clark was singled up most of the night and more than held his own. He'll only get better.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

i am still in the camp that Clark was a liability vs the Raiders. I didn't see a 'good' game from him. He was serviceable at best. All that said, I am a huge fan of his and his desire to do well...and I'm rooting for him to get better throughout the season.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

might work in Madden
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
i am still in the camp that Clark was a liability vs the Raiders. I didn't see a 'good' game from him. He was serviceable at best. All that said, I am a huge fan of his and his desire to do well...and I'm rooting for him to get better throughout the season.
Population 1.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

*checks fatblog*

Lol.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #13
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I like it. There's no guarantee Clady comes back, period. It's the worst type of injury Clady could have. Gross would be real nice insurance.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

We're not going to get anybody better than Chris Clark at this point. And I'm surprisingly OK with that. Dude was better than solid against Oakland.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Give up on Justice
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
We're not going to get anybody better than Chris Clark at this point. And I'm surprisingly OK with that. Dude was better than solid against Oakland.
Clark is a back up for a reason and yep, Gross is better. I really don't think Clady will come back and if that is the case then if the Broncos bring Gross in now and give him a year in the system, they might be able to sign him again if Clady is indeed, finished.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
yerner
Ring of Famer

no, you got to give the guy that's been working the chance. what does it say to other backups on the broncos that are working for their chance if you just trade for something outside anytime theirs a spot open.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
no, you got to give the guy that's been working the chance. what does it say to other backups on the broncos that are working for their chance if you just trade for something outside anytime theirs a spot open.
backups are backups dude. Again, there's a reason Clark is a backup. People here seem to think he's some kind of great LT and he's not. He's a backup. Clady has never been injury prone and the Broncos probably thought that if Clady went down, it may be for a few games or so and that Clark would fill in during that time. Clady is gone for the year, or longer, maybe even permanently. I guarantee you the Broncos never thought of Clark as a replacement LT. The Broncos most likely thought of Clark as a real nice backup plan.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Clark is a back up for a reason and yep, Gross is better. I really don't think Clady will come back and if that is the case then if the Broncos bring Gross in now and give him a year in the system, they might be able to sign him again if Clady is indeed, finished.
Better in a Madden overall number sense, but could you plug him right in with the flurry of activity, audibles, line call changes and motion that Peyton uses in this offense and have him perform as well as Clark? Doubt it. People forget that Clark got a ton of reps when Clady was rehabbing.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Better in a Madden overall number sense, but could you plug him right in with the flurry of activity, audibles, line call changes and motion that Peyton uses in this offense and have him perform as well as Clark? Doubt it. People forget that Clark got a ton of reps when Clady was rehabbing.
Gross will have to learn the system but Clark can start until Gross is ready. Backups are backups. Starters are starters. It's good to know the difference.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #21
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Clark was singled up most of the night and more than held his own. He'll only get better.
I think I've been the forum's biggest Clark supporter since he was used as a TE to block in certain packages in the Tebow era.

I say that to properly preface that "I'm not sure how much better he gets considering he was pretty darn ready to play thanks to Clady's offseason issues". Speed of the game isn't a thing either... he's used to that. Obviously a lot comes from OJT and doing what you do, but I think what we saw vs Oakland is pretty close to the ceiling.

...and that's plenty for a SB in NYC, imo.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #22
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
it's LT. there isn't much to learn, especially not when he's been around for a decade or so.

also lol at "all the motion peyton uses in this offense"

not that any of this matters. no one is getting traded.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #23
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Quote:
Gross will have to learn the system but Clark can start until Gross is ready. Backups are backups. Starters are starters. It's good to know the difference.
There are backups and there are disasters. Clark is a backup, Russ Hochstein was a disaster. The important thing is that Clark looks like the kind of player that can hold his own against most DE's and can probably manage good DE's with TE or RB support.
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #24
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
it's LT. there isn't much to learn, especially not when he's been around for a decade or so.

also lol at "all the motion peyton uses in this offense"

not that any of this matters. no one is getting traded.
You're right, nobody is getting traded so its a moot point, but if you don't think that the tempo of the offense at altitude, varying snap count and cadence and how Peyton works the clock would have an impact on a new LT (even a veteran), than I don't know what to tell you.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #25
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
backups are backups dude. Again, there's a reason Clark is a backup. People here seem to think he's some kind of great LT and he's not. He's a backup. Clady has never been injury prone and the Broncos probably thought that if Clady went down, it may be for a few games or so and that Clark would fill in during that time. Clady is gone for the year, or longer, maybe even permanently. I guarantee you the Broncos never thought of Clark as a replacement LT. The Broncos most likely thought of Clark as a real nice backup plan.
I don't know how good Clark can be, but the whole 'backups are backups' and 'there's a reason that they are backups' argument holds no water. Woodyard was a backup for 3 years. He's a solid NFL starter now. James Harrison was a backup for 4 years. Tom Brady was a backup, Eddie McCaffery was a backup, Kurt Warner was a backup....the list goes on and on. I'll wait and see what Clark does with his chance before I write him off as strictly backup material. He's was playing behind the best LT in the NFL.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote