The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #26
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I like the pick..

But if you had two picks in the third and fourth.. You could package both and move up into the second twice, and have 4 second rounders....

2. Lacy RB
2. Te'o/Brown/Minter MLB
2. Moore/Tank DE
2. Short DT

Just saying..
Denver has 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7.

Move the 3 and 5 and get another 2nd. (Might take the fourth, or just move up and get an early third.)

Sylvester Williams, _______ and ________ as starters.

Use the fourth and seventh on guys who can play special teams. Fourth round guy will still make the team. Who knows about the seventh.

Still players in FA who can help contribute. I am guessing the Broncos go for secondary and RB help. I would like to see a LB as well. Do that and I'll be pleased.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #27
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Could go either way here.... I'm a pretty big proponent of converting 1st-round picks into multiple 2nd and 3rds, but I love the value and the position. Having del Rio and Fox on staff makes me confident that we know what we're doing when we pick defensive linemen.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #28
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I don't care if the Pats get twenty picks. Not one of those picks is going to replace Tom Brady. They're living on borrowed time. I would have stood pat. Williams will bring immediate impact. I think the effect on Von's game will be instantly noticed. Payton Manning has a short shelf life and the Broncos have to strike now. I hope they trade up in the second and grab another impact player, hopefully Minter, even if it takes trading next year's first rounder. I also think the loss of Welker is going to hurt the Pats more than they probably think right now and they're not going to find another Welker even with all those picks. They'll be lucky if Amendola lasts five games. And where is Welker playing now? **** the Patsies.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #29
Drunken.Broncoholic

That would mean their first pick would be at 52? They would have to trade back up into the top portion of 2nd to get an impact type player. Pass on that. I wouldn't want them waiting until 52 players were off the board before making their first pick
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #30
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Is it just me or is Lacy plain overrated

Running behind a line with 2 high first rounders and another lineman likely taken today. I'd rather take a chance on a RB later. RBs aren't of high value anymore anyway and if we can get a Stephan Taylor or the likes in the 4th I'd rather do that than waste a 2nd rounder on one.
Harvitz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #31
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

John did the right thing. He took the top player on the board, and it is a position that needs help. Williams went at least 10 spots later than where he was projected going into last night. There's no arguing with the decision IMO.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #32
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Hell no.

Picks mean nothing without the right players. the Broncos got one of the top 5 d-lineman available in this years draft- a deep d-line draft- at the end of the 1st round. Good value.

The Patriots squander picks yearly. Picks mean literally zero. Elway has proven himself capable of picking, and he deserves more than the benefit of the doubt after the Wolfe pick last year.

Like the pick. Love the front office.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #33
RocBronc
Pro Bowler

It would have been close but I wouldn't have made the trade... I really like Williams and I think DT is a huge need for us and we needed at least one high value player out of this draft that was going to be a big contributor on the field this year.
RocBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #34
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Any thoughts on taking a similar player to Von (hybrid joker type) to effectively be a situational pass rusher

He can come in on 3rd down and play Von's spot while sliding Von to RDE to rush. Would Sio Moore be able to do this? Collins maybe? Will they last to 58?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #35
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

My only issue is the immediacy of a DT isn't very good. It takes them some time to learn the speed of the game and sometimes it doesn't payoff until years two or three, which doesn't bode well for where our team is right now. If he can play and contribute right away - and every first round pick this front office has taken has been able to do that to this point - then it will be really positive.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #36
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvitz81 View Post
Is it just me or is Lacy plain overrated

Running behind a line with 2 high first rounders and another lineman likely taken today. I'd rather take a chance on a RB later. RBs aren't of high value anymore anyway and if we can get a Stephan Taylor or the likes in the 4th I'd rather do that than waste a 2nd rounder on one.
He was overrated as a first rounder for sure!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #37
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
My only issue is the immediacy of a DT isn't very good. It takes them some time to learn the speed of the game and sometimes it doesn't payoff until years two or three, which doesn't bode well for where our team is right now. If he can play and contribute right away - and every first round pick this front office has taken has been able to do that to this point - then it will be really positive.
I think the way we rotate our DTs, especially with the altitude then I can't imagine him not getting good playing time.

Really, none of our DTs will probably ever see more than 65% of the defensive snaps this season. Keep him fresh and make sure he is on the field in obvious passing downs to collapse the pocket.

I agree that DTs take time, but Wolfe came in and contributed pretty well as a rookie (admittedly playing a lot of DE).
Old 04-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #38
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Let me put it this way--Williams is a hellava lot better than Wolfe.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #39
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
I think he will see at least 35% of the defensive snaps if not more due DT rotations.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #40
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I doubt they expect him to carry the full load at DT. His strength is reaction time and quickness. Put him in on third downs and tell him to rush. Let Von pick up the pieces. It won't take him time to learn that role. It takes a while to become a complete DT, but I expect he will be able to contribute from game one. JDR is a pretty sharp DC.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #41
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Any thoughts on taking a similar player to Von (hybrid joker type) to effectively be a situational pass rusher

He can come in on 3rd down and play Von's spot while sliding Von to RDE to rush. Would Sio Moore be able to do this? Collins maybe? Will they last to 58?
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110622
Old 04-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #42
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

Corey Lemonier...
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #43
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

At the time of the pick, I was yelling at the tv for Elway to get on the phone and trade out. Floyd & Werner had already came off the board, and all I knew about Sly was what Alfred Williams was saying about him, which was not good. He hates the pick. But at the end of the day, I trust Fox/JDR/Elway waaaay more on this than I do Big Al.

So, the more I learn about him, the more I love this pick, and can fully understand why the Broncos turned downed a trade to take a guy they think will be a day one contributor and possible 10 year stud in the trenches.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #44
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Another reason why I wouldn't have made the deal.

Picking somebody in the first gives the Broncos a team option for an additional year. That is huge.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #45
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

we needed a DT to pair with Knighton as a starter. i'd rather have Sly than trade back.
besides, it would have been ****ty to have to wait til day 2 for a second straight yet before picking.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #46
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
we needed a DT to pair with Knighton as a starter. i'd rather have Sly than trade back.
besides, it would have been ****ty to have to wait til day 2 for a second straight yet before picking.
I assume the other starter is still Vickerson. I think Williams can help immediately on passing downs.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #47
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Williams will come in and light it up on the nickel defense. Given the amount we rotate our guys, nobody should be hung up on the "starter label." I'm sure he will get his fair share of snaps and be put in a position succeed early where his strengths translate best.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #48
Drek
Ring of Famer

Stay put and take Williams.

With all the FA signings, the rest of our draft picks, and the futures signings from last season we're likely cutting some good players this pre-season. Because of that quality means more than quantity.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #49
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
The trick is that he is not supposed to play 500 snaps in year 1. He will rotate with Knighton and Vickerson, probably see time next to Wolfe in nickel and dime situations mostly. I am putting him at about 250 snaps. The Osweiler pick last year is proof that Elway is not in this just to win this year, he is in it to win every year and do that you have to take the best players you can.

Rookie DTs have been producing lately, last year Fletcher Cox was in the top 10 for sacks for all DTs and Michael Brockers cracked the top 20. Marcel Dareus went ham both his first years, Fairley was a boss last year in his sophomore season. Karl Klug has 10 sacks in his first 2 years including 7 in his rookie year.

I don't even want to bring up Suh as an example because of his freakish of an athlete he was.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #50
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Williams will come in and light it up on the nickel defense. Given the amount we rotate our guys, nobody should be hung up on the "starter label."
Yeah, I think I read that Vickerson played only 40% of the snaps last season, so there will be plenty of snaps for Williams.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote