The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #26
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
we had the opportunity to draft a QB in the 2nd round with franchise QB potential. that doesn't happen very often. we have a QB who can learn under Manning and be groomed for the starting role. it's not an immediate impact rookie but if the player pans out then it's the future of the franchise for 10-15 years.i would rather gamble on that and have him take over after Manning so that we can partially sustain the success than to go all in for 2-3 years and have to get another QB to take over after he's gone from the team and not able to groom the understudy.
I really want to see some obvious improvement by Twilight from his rook season to his second season. Elway says that he will get more reps because Manning needs to rest his arm, great! I can hardly wait! I want to see what Elway sees because all I see now is a big goofball who throws really hard.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #27
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
The Osweiler thing was just too predictable. It's sad to know that Brian Xanders was advocating for Lavonte David. Woodyard definitely stepped his game up, but it would have been nice to have used a second rounder on a guy who is actually going to do something for the team. If the Broncos really thought that Osweiler was the BPA with that pick, I am calling BS.

I can understand the insurance because of the uncertain nature of Manning's recovery, but good lord. I have high hopes for Hillman, but mortgaging what you got in a trade down was really piss poor value management of resources in the draft. When you have that many picks, you need to get more than ONE GUY (Wolfe) who starts a game as a rookie. That is SIMPLY unacceptable.
I didn't like the Osweiler move last year. I am much happier with it this year when I examine what else is out there and available. It has been debated to death, but had Osweiler had a good 2012 with ASU, then Elway's statement that he would be the #1 QB in this year's draft would likely be correct. So essentially, Osweiller was insurance last year (and for the remainder of Manning's career here), but it also stops some of our divisional opponents with high first round picks from snagging a potentially good-great QB that could give us headaches into the future. The Chiefs had to make a play for Alex Smith, and the Raiders continued to leverage their draft stock for Flynn, because there really isn't a standout QB in this year's draft.

So what appears to have been a reach and a head scratcher last year makes more sense this year in looking at the QB class of 2013. Should we have attempted to get another 2012 impact player last year? Yes... As (I believe) Elway said before his first draft, you always want to get at least 3 guys who can make an impact their rookie year.

That all said, we just won't know until we know on how good Osweiler can be until he is the starter. Hopefully we can all look back and say "Smart move Elway."
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #28
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
The Osweiler thing was just too predictable. It's sad to know that Brian Xanders was advocating for Lavonte David. Woodyard definitely stepped his game up, but it would have been nice to have used a second rounder on a guy who is actually going to do something for the team. If the Broncos really thought that Osweiler was the BPA with that pick, I am calling BS.

I can understand the insurance because of the uncertain nature of Manning's recovery, but good lord. I have high hopes for Hillman, but mortgaging what you got in a trade down was really piss poor value management of resources in the draft. When you have that many picks, you need to get more than ONE GUY (Wolfe) who starts a game as a rookie. That is SIMPLY unacceptable.
Yeah, Elway didn't get much out of that draft so far. New England and Tampa got two good starters from their trades with us. Wolfe looks like a longterm good player, then Hillman is adequate but I'm skeptical he'll be some superduper guy. Blake was Walton's backup at C in college, and probably will be here also. Omar Bolden looks like he could be a decent outside RCB, but his knee got nicked up last year (dunno if it was the same knee as the ACL - or was it his ankle, can't remember). Malik Jackson is a good depth guy, Trevathan looks like he'll be in the League for a long time because of his smarts, speed, versatility.

I didn't mind the Osweiler pick, that guy could be the future of the franchise at QB. He has all the physical tools and apparently Elway knows his mental makeup pretty well.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #29
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Everyone aside from Osweiler and Blake contributed in some way to the team last year, which is a big deal. Only one was a starter, but a damn good one, and guys like Bolden and Trevathan contributed mightily to Special Teams (especially Bolden). The staff seems high on Hillman going into this year, and I thought he actually played really well against the Ravens after Moreno went down. I also have no problem with the Osweiler pick. I like that we have a FO with an eye towards the future as well as the present. It wasn't the 2006 draft, but it was a very solid one.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #30
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I really want to see some obvious improvement by Twilight from his rook season to his second season. Elway says that he will get more reps because Manning needs to rest his arm, great! I can hardly wait! I want to see what Elway sees because all I see now is a big goofball who throws really hard.
the thing of it is though, let's saw we take a player who starts for us instead of Osweiler last season.
we still now this season have to grab a back up QB and Hanie is still on the roster as the back up.
who in this draft would you realistically like to see as the primary back up to Manning?
this is one of the weaker drafts in years at the position.
hell, there are rumors that Geno Smith will slide like Aaron Rodgers did if Nassib or Manuel are the top QB taken.
Glennon or Bray are the only two i really want from this draft pool of QB's(well Smith if he was a 2nd rounder).

so while we may have lost out on production last season we gained potential usage of the picks in this draft.
we're not obligated to select a QB in this draft now, whereas if we passed on Osweiler the only other two QB's who would have been worth spending a pick on last year would have been Wilson and Cousins.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #31
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #32
Drunken.Broncoholic

I have nothing against Brock just think another impact player would've helped us in this 3 yr or so window. Manning seems fine physically and next years draft might be loaded with QB talent.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #33
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I have nothing against Brock just think another impact player would've helped us in this 3 yr or so window. Manning seems fine physically and next years draft might be loaded with QB talent.
that was the assumption for this class. Barkley was supposed to rebound and be the #1 pick, Smith was supposed to be a top 15 guy, Glennon,Bray,Manuel,Thomas,Wilson & Jones were supposed to make the draft depth so deep it would rival the 83 class.

injuries,developmental issues and overrated players killed that dream.
the FO has to deal in the now with a slight glance towards the future.
but passing on a guy like Brock would have been silly since they were convinced of his potential.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #34
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Puppy kick threat level red.

I seriously don't know if I've seen anybody at the high school, college, or pro level misjudge a deep ball that badly.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #35
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Puppy kick threat level red.

I seriously don't know if I've seen anybody at the high school, college, or pro level misjudge a deep ball that badly.
that's why he's a safety and not a WR
Old 04-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #36
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Will Kizla get punched in the throat for slamming Elway like this?

Likely not, but a DB or trading back looks like the most likely option at this point, in reverse order.
Why? Because a reporter who is wrong on a regular basis says so?
Old 04-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #37
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Yeah, Elway didn't get much out of that draft so far. New England and Tampa got two good starters from their trades with us. Wolfe looks like a longterm good player, then Hillman is adequate but I'm skeptical he'll be some superduper guy. Blake was Walton's backup at C in college, and probably will be here also. Omar Bolden looks like he could be a decent outside RCB, but his knee got nicked up last year (dunno if it was the same knee as the ACL - or was it his ankle, can't remember). Malik Jackson is a good depth guy, Trevathan looks like he'll be in the League for a long time because of his smarts, speed, versatility.

I didn't mind the Osweiler pick, that guy could be the future of the franchise at QB. He has all the physical tools and apparently Elway knows his mental makeup pretty well.
Phillip Blake aka "The Governor," was not Walton's backup when Walton was a senior. Blake started at RT as a Sophomore and played every game at that position that year. He moved to C after Walton left.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #38
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
i love it, being a draft nerd has served us well so far.
i just don't buy us drafting a CB in the first with DRC just signed to a potential 2 year deal and Champ still here. we already have Harris at Nickel and they expect Bolden to make a move this year.

a RB or S makes the most sense at 28 unless a DE falls.
if we land Cyprien or Elam @ #28 it's a clear win and addresses who will start next to The Dream.
That might be the best argument against them going corner in the first. If, and only if, Elway/Fox/JDR feel confident that Bolden might have shown enough progress in year one as well as in his durability, that then might be content to go with DRC, Harris and Bolden with 'Sticky' Carter as a nickle/dime back.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #39
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

We're not drafting a CB in the first four rounds of this draft. We have 5 good ones already. And unless we want to cut Tony Carter (whom played very well last year) or Omar Boldin (a 4th round pick and special teams player), then we aren't taking another CB early. We will carry five.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #40
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
We're not drafting a CB in the first four rounds of this draft. We have 5 good ones already. And unless we want to cut Tony Carter (whom played very well last year) or Omar Boldin (a 4th round pick and special teams player), then we aren't taking another CB early. We will carry five.
oh i could see us going CB in round 2 or 3. just not in the first unless someone falls and we just can't pass up that value.
at this point though, there is a better chance of Geno Smith falling to us than a top tier CB.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #41
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

S and RB would give us quickest help no doubt. The question I have is you spend a #1 on S already?

Champ will be a S soon you give up on high pick Moore so fast if your the FO?

If the BPA is a tie between CB/S I'd go CB

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 04-23-2013 at 03:18 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #42
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Carter can be traded, he doesn't have to be cut. He would have way more value then Vaughn did. Also there are quite a few CB's in this draft I would rather have then Carter and Boldin moving forward in the future.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #43
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
S and RB would give us quickest help no doubt. The question I have is you spend a #1 on S already?

Champ will be a S soon you give up on high pick Moore so fast if your the FO?

If the BPA is a tie between CB/S I'd go CB
huh? Moore is fine, we'd be taking a S who would play SS to pair up next to him.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #44
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Carter can be traded, he doesn't have to be cut. He would have way more value then Vaughn did. Also there are quite a few CB's in this draft I would rather have then Carter and Boldin moving forward in the future.
Yes I love this DB class for the first 5 rounds. It's hard to land a great CB but this year there's several targets for a dart to hit.

If they dont go S in the first few rounds I wouldn't mind duke Williams later in the draft. Dude is a playmaker.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:54 PM   #45
Bmore Manning

I called Empire Orange, who called Elway the GM.. And we all agreed Melvin White would be the CB we targeted late in the draft.

It's taken care of guys!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #46
Bacchus

Quote:
Elway also doesn't have just 80-100 players as draftable
I think McD only had 30 on his board!!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #47
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I called Empire Orange, who called Elway the GM.. And we all agreed Melvin White would be the CB we targeted late in the draft.

It's taken care of guys!
Panthers, Jags, and the Bears are the only three teams I have seen linked to him.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #48
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Panthers, Jags, and the Bears are the only three teams I have seen linked to him.
Yeah we're keeping it on the Down Low, could be a UDFA steal!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #49
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
after the Richard Quinn debacle... i believe it
Old 04-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #50
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Then he traded up to get 2 guys who did not spend more than 2 years on the team...

So glad Bowlen fixed his mistake and replaced Canton High's finest with a real HC and a GM who is going to be a star.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote