The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default Ranking the NFL's top 90 Running Backs

Unusual insight from bleacherreport:

75 - Lance Ball
66 - Ronnie Hilman
38 - Knowshon Moreno
20 - Willis McGahee

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-backs/page/56

There are 32 teams.

90/32 = 2.8, which means that each team's "fair share" of RB talent would be having 2-3 running backs on this list. The Broncos have four....

I really think CB, MLB, and RDE are higher priorities than RB this draft.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Drunken.Broncoholic

Does it count for 2 of them who can't stay on the field?
Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Does it count for 2 of them who can't stay on the field?

hahahaha. Unfortunately, as true as it funny. Knowshon Moreno starts showing some grit, and bang, gone from the line-up. McGahee is that punishing back the Broncos need. Ah alas, gone with a knee injuy. Hillman just looks scared half the time. He has ability, but he's a change-up guy, not a feature back. Ball is the very definition of mediocre.

I disagree with the idea we're set at RB even in the short term. There are some ideal big backs in this draft and the Broncos need to grab one.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #4
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Mario Fannin, next TD.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post

75 - Lance Ball
66 - Ronnie Hilman
38 - Knowshon Moreno
20 - Willis McGahee

There are 32 teams.

90/32 = 2.8, which means that each team's "fair share" of RB talent would be having 2-3 running backs on this list. The Broncos have four....

I think those positions are a priority too but RB is too as we don't seem to have much consistency there. But I don't understand these positions always being mentioned as our highest priorities when I think safety is. Big question marks in that area, especially if making a SB run. And it has been a question mark since Atwater left. Coincidence that we have not been back to the SB? I don't think so.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post

75 - Lance Ball
66 - Ronnie Hilman
38 - Knowshon Moreno
20 - Willis McGahee

There are 32 teams.

But this drasft you could get another top 20 back and get rid of the #38 RB.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Lance Ball making the list instantly discredits it.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Coincidence that we have not been back to the SB? I don't think so.

We haven't been back to the Super Bowl because we didn't have truly elite QB post-Elway until last season. Safety issues aren't trivial but they sure as **** aren't why we haven't been to a Super Bowl in 15 years. That's just silly...
Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I have the feeling that John will try to go back to the Bobby Turner type one cut uphill RB he can find later in the draft. Even though we aren't running a Zone scheme our power game is all about making one cut and following the pulling lead blocker, something KM hasn't figured out yet, which a guy in the old 90's era mold would be successful in.

I hope we get better impact value in the higher rounds (rather than guys we are just glad to have on the team) and then look for some guys we are glad to have on the team in the later rounds.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

I have little to no faith in our RBs beyond Mcgahee. Even he isn't really a big time threat. Hillman is a change of pace, but hardly one that outs fear into opposing defences! This board seems to rate him a lot higher than they would if he wasn't a bronco; almost every team has a RB stashed somewhere that they think could break out with just a little more experience!

2nd round is where the value is at RB this year, but we certainly need to draft one as badly as we do safery
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
I have little to no faith in our RBs beyond Mcgahee. Even he isn't really a big time threat. Hillman is a change of pace, but hardly one that outs fear into opposing defences! This board seems to rate him a lot higher than they would if he wasn't a bronco; almost every team has a RB stashed somewhere that they think could break out with just a little more experience!

2nd round is where the value is at RB this year, but we certainly need to draft one as badly as we do safery
I think they want the grind it out 10-20 yard guys and make the yardage in the passing game. Maybe this is the draft we get an impact rusher but I think if we do it will be more like a guy like Shanny drafted in Morris than that Martin kid the Buc's got.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post

We haven't been back to the Super Bowl because we didn't have truly elite QB post-Elway until last season. Safety issues aren't trivial but they sure as **** aren't why we haven't been to a Super Bowl in 15 years. That's just silly...
I'm not saying that's the only reason. But it's one thing is that in the past 12 years the SB winners have had a good safety....and most often a good MLB. And not all have had an elite QB. No disrespect to TD but Atwater rivaled him for MVP that year. We had an elite QB last year and although there were a variety of reasons for that playoff loss, don't forget our safety.......
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
BroncosfanGuy

ah come on, bleacher report?
and I think McGahee at 20 is driven by name value at this point
Old 04-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #14
Agamemnon

Quote:
No disrespect to TD but Atwater rivaled him for MVP that year.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I'm not saying that's the only reason. But it's one thing is that in the past 12 years the SB winners have had a good safety....and most often a good MLB. And not all have had an elite QB. No disrespect to TD but Atwater rivaled him for MVP that year. We had an elite QB last year and although there were a variety of reasons for that playoff loss, don't forget our safety.......
Atwater's one of my top 5 favorite Broncos, but you're on ****ing drugs.

1 INT and 43 tackles rivals 2k+ (while sitting many 2nd halves)?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #16
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

I believe she meant for SB XXXII MVP.....TD deserved it but Atwater was very much in the running with his great play.....and might have gotten a few more people to vote for him had he not dropped what looked like a sure INT
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

The shadow of Atwater is large upon the landscape of Dove Valley... I read somewhere that if the Broncos draft that big CB out of Mississippi State, Banks, the Broncos project him as a safety? He's tall but he's skinny, he'd have to add too much weight to be an effective safety IMHO.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Lance Ball making the list instantly discredits it.
This
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #19
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
if she's talking about the Super Bowl I don't necessarily disagree. Atwater was amazing that game and I doubt Denver beats GB without Atwater.

Quote:

I can only assume she means Super Bowl XXXII MVP and not league MVP. If that's what she's saying, I don't think she's really that far out there. If it's league MVP then yeah, does not compute.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 04-24-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
I believe she meant for SB XXXII MVP.....TD deserved it but Atwater was very much in the running with his great play.....and might have gotten a few more people to vote for him had he not dropped what looked like a sure INT
Still not even close.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #21
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Still not even close.
In Super Bowl XXXII -

[] He had six solo tackles, one sack, two passes defensed and a forced fumble.....had he not dropped a sure INT, it would have been hard to argue that he wasn't deserving of SB MVP. Again, that would have put his numbers at 6 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, and 1 INT....pretty good numbers for any defensive player SB or not.

[] His presence near the line of scrimmage kept the Green Bay Packers' running game in check. His sack and forced fumble resulted in three critical points in the second quarter when the Broncos offense had stalled without star running back Terrell Davis.

[] Near the end of the fourth quarter, the game was tied at 24 and Green Bay had the ball on 3rd down & 8. Atwater knocked down a critical pass on a blitz where the receiver was left wide open, forcing the Packers to punt....this was a very key play.

[] Then on Green Bay's final drive, Atwater's vicious hit which practically knocked out two players (one opponent and one teammate) and himself with less than a minute remaining left the Packers in a 4th and 6 situation without any remaining timeouts, due to NFL rules regarding injuries to players in the final two minutes of a game.

Keep in mind nobody is saying TD wasn't deserving, they're just saying if Atwater had been named MVP it wouldn't be met with the contempt you seem to have.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #22
Agamemnon

I remember that Super Bowl vividly. We won it because of TD and that o-line. When TD went out for a quarter we could do absolutely nothing. Atwater was great in that game, but TD was the very definition of what a Super Bowl MVP looks like. Seriously, like Rev said, it's not even close. That was probably one of the top 5 all-time Super Bowl MVP performances people. Stop being dumb.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #23
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I remember that Super Bowl vividly. We won it because of TD and that o-line. When TD went out for a quarter we could do absolutely nothing. Atwater was great in that game, but TD was the very definition of what a Super Bowl MVP looks like. Seriously, like Rev said, it's not even close. That was probably one of the top 5 all-time Super Bowl MVP performances people. Stop being dumb.
So if anyone argued that you could have given the OL the MVP of SB XXXII, would you call it dumb?

When TD went out of the game, what held the team together? Atwater's play....he sacked Favre, caused a fumble and set the offense up for the FG....giving Denver a 10 point lead.

He kept another 7 points off the board by knocking down that pass to Brooks who had gotten open on a blitz late in the 4th qtr with the score tied.....he should have had an INT, but dropped it as well.

Again TD won the award and nobody is b****ing about it....but to say that Atwater didn't play a SB MVP caliber kind of game regardless of winning the award or not is being dumb.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #24
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
I think most of us remember that Super Bowl vividly. Like I said, an argument can be made for Atwater being in the conversation for the game's MVP. I don't think Denver wins that game without Atwater and absent TD, who is the most valuable player that game? That's not dumb. He was absolutely vital to winning that game and I'm having a hard time remembering a defensive player who was as valuable to his team's Super Bowl win aside from James Harrison against the Cards or Bob Lilly way back in a Super Bowl most of us never saw.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 04-24-2013 at 07:35 PM..