The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #76
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Yeah, you're right. Listening to McGahee's radio interview today...he sounds like he's ready to go. He is our best RB, hopefully he can stay healthy.

Looks like Knowshon might be the odd man out, if the Broncos pick a high RB. So I guess you keep Ball as your relatively low-cost insurance RB, and cut Knowshon. Sounds good to me. Ride or die with Willis, Hillman and an RB in the draft. I'm down.
The team would be stupid to cut Knowshon even if they draft a running back.

McGahee, Hillman, Moreno, Draft Pick is better than having Lance Ball on the team. You don't cut a guy who performed well when healthy (Moreno) just to save $1 million dollars off the cap. How about getting rid of a turd like Ball or Willis instead?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #77
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post

McGahee, Hillman, Moreno, Draft Pick is better than having Lance Ball on the team. You don't cut a guy who performed well when healthy (Moreno) just to save $1 million dollars off the cap. How about getting rid of a turd like Ball or Willis instead?
I agree.

We know we're going to roll with three active RBs and one inactive RB.

#1 will be the big starter back. This could be Moreno, McGahee, or a rookie.

#2 will be Ronnie Hillman as the change of pace.

#3 will be someone that plays special teams. Either Ball or a rookie.

Our 4th RB will be a gameday inactive.

Possible Scenarios:

1) If Moreno and McGahee both make the team, one of them will be inactive as the 4th RB. That player will only be insurance for the other. I can't imagine McGahee would be a good solider about being inactive, and while Moreno did it last season, I'm not sure he'll want to do it again. Especially after proving himself. It would also be one extremely expensive 4th RB.

2) We draft a rookie early, and cut both McGahee and Moreno, while keeping Lance Ball. Rookie takes the #1 RB slot.

3) We draft a rookie, and cut one of McGahee and Moreno along with Lance Ball. Rookie takes the #3 RB slot.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #78
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Also, Elway is really selling the hell out of this battle to start at MIKE between Irving and Johnson. I thought it was misdirection and that we'll target a MLB in round 1 or 2. Now, I'm starting to believe it because he keeps saying it.

That's going to drastically impact my mock if we don't take a MIKE in the 1st or 2nd round.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #79
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

I would rather have two rookies then Ball and Moreno. Get a good RB in the first 3 rounds and pick up a guy like DJ Harper, Zac Stacy, or Jordan Roberts as a UDFA or late round pick. We need SP teams players too. Hester should take over for Ball next year at SP teams which makes it easier to get rid of that turd.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #80
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:

If I were KM I would ask to try out for a ST position. He is not going to be a feature back and guys like Lance Ball will cost him a job because he can play ST's.

It is not like KM is ever going to go somewhere and be the feature back. He should start picking up skills that prolong his career, he has already made it past the avg lifetime of an RB, unless he is happy with the money he has made and ready to retire he better find ways to hang on rosters like bums like Ball do.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #81
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Also, Elway is really selling the hell out of this battle to start at MIKE between Irving and Johnson. I thought it was misdirection and that we'll target a MLB in round 1 or 2. Now, I'm starting to believe it because he keeps saying it.

That's going to drastically impact my mock if we don't take a MIKE in the 1st or 2nd round.
same with me. i keep starting to post my mock and then i stop myself because it involves a Mike in the 2nd and i just keep hearing Elway's take on the MLB situation in my head. he said close to the same thing about DT last year in FA and was true to his word.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #82
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
"We had that guy from Arizona, what was his last name? Arizona Matt. And Dysert."

Says he is glad they aren't in need in a QB of this draft, but are interested in looking hard at developing a guy.

Believes Osweiler would have been close to the top, if not the top QB in this class.
Elway could be pretending like he doesn't know Arizona Matt's last name.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #83
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:

Quite right, quite right.

But how the hell do you keep an inactive $3M insurance RB? Jesus, that's a ton of scratch to waste. Didn't help us this year either. When we needed Knowshon the most he got hurt.

But when you're on a SB run it's ball in or ball out right? Let's ball the **** out.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #84
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:

I'm telling you, the Broncos have Brooking in their back pocket. He's the ace-in-the-hole if Irving sucks. Draft picks are at a premium this year with the loss of Dumervil. Plus, they have Nickel LB Trevathan who'll definitely improve in year 2.

You can't just make Irving a permanent back-up without seeing if he can play or not. If he can't, get out the oil can, and grease up old man Brooking...Let's ride!!

Last edited by pricejj; 04-22-2013 at 08:19 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #85
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
Elway could be pretending like he doesn't know Arizona Matt's last name.
Please... Elway thinks his own kid's name is Mack Elwes III. He has no idea what Arizona Matt's name is or even where he went to college. He got lucky that Matt offered him a sip of his Arizona iced tea when they met.

Last edited by bowtown; 04-22-2013 at 08:12 PM..
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #86
Bacchus

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. Listening to McGahee's radio interview today...he sounds like he's ready to go. He is our best RB, hopefully he can stay healthy.

But there is one problem...

Cutting Knowshon and drafting a 2nd round RB is revenue neutral. Is Le'veon Bell that much better of a player than Knowshon to spend #58 on? Tough decision. Knowshon is pretty good. Maybe they could wait a year to pick an RB?
Well simply put yes. Any back they draft in the first or second round they expect to be better than Moreno. They expect that back to start or play a close second to Willis.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #87
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
I'm telling you, the Broncos have Brooking in their back pocket. He's the ace-in-the-hole if Irving sucks. Draft picks are at a premium this year with the loss of Dumervil. Plus, they have Nickel LB Trevathan who'll definitely improve in year 2.

You can't just make Irving a permanent back-up without seeing if he can play or not. If he can't, get out the oil can, and grease up old man Brooking...Let's ride!!
This^. Draft picks should be a premium every year. Every time Broncos whiff or waste a draft pick means atleast one place on this team didn't get better. I hate that!
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #88
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:

i'm not sure what it is but something just doesn't sound right...

i do think they're willing to see what they have in Irving. Elway obviously puts a lot of stock in what this staff thinks about a player and they've proven they know how to use players in most cases.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #89
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
i'm not sure what it is but something just doesn't sound right...
Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #90
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Well simply put yes. Any back they draft in the first or second round they expect to be better than Moreno. They expect that back to start or play a close second to Willis.

But...it's not that simple.

This is how we use our top 4 RBs. And it's the reason Moreno was inactive most of all last year because he couldn't play special teams.

1) Starter
2) Hillman
3) Special Teams
4) Inactive

Now, if we draft a RB that doesn't play special teams, like Le'Veon Bell, he's either going to be starting or inactive. If he's starting, that means we've definitely released McGahee and most likely released Moreno as well. So, in that situation we take a bellcow back early and ride him, but Fox has always worked rookie RBs in slowly, usually as a #2, but Hillman is in that role. And in the middle of a Super Bowl run, that's risky, even if we take Lacy in Round 1, to put all our eggs in a rookie RB's basket.

So, what might make more sense is to draft a RB in the middle-late rounds that will play special teams and then we likely cut Lance Ball. Now, figuring out which bigger RBs are good at special teams is something I don't know. But, if you go this route, you're still riding McGahee, and maybe Moreno goes back to his inactive role for insurance (or else he's cut), but you're not depending on a rookie to carry you for your Super Bowl run. Instead you've upgraded your RB depth. This route makes the most sense to me. But it's also the route where you're not drafting Le'Veon Bell or Eddie Lacy, and you're not drafting slow RBs that can't help on special teams like Stepfan Taylor. So, the options are greatly diminished.

So, it's a tricky RB decision we're facing.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #91
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

This is how we use our top 4 RBs. And it's the reason Moreno was inactive most of all last year because he couldn't play special teams.

1) Starter
2) Hillman
3) Special Teams
4) Inactive

Now, if we draft a RB that doesn't play special teams, like Le'Veon Bell, he's either going to be starting or inactive. If he's starting, that means we've definitely released McGahee and most likely released Moreno as well. So, in that situation we take a bellcow back early and ride him, but Fox has always worked rookie RBs in slowly, usually as a #2, but Hillman is in that role. And in the middle of a Super Bowl run, that's risky, even if we take Lacy in Round 1, to put all our eggs in a rookie RB's basket.

So, what might make more sense is to draft a RB in the middle-late rounds that will play special teams and then we likely cut Lance Ball. Now, figuring out which bigger RBs are good at special teams is something I don't know. But, if you go this route, you're still riding McGahee, and maybe Moreno goes back to his inactive role for insurance (or else he's cut), but you're not depending on a rookie to carry you for your Super Bowl run. Instead you've upgraded your RB depth. This route makes the most sense to me. But it's also the route where you're not drafting Le'Veon Bell or Eddie Lacy, and you're not drafting slow RBs that can't help on special teams like Stepfan Taylor. So, the options are greatly diminished.

Winona State RB Rayon Simmons I think he would allow us to keep McGahee, Hillman, Hester(sp teams), and Simmons inactive.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 04-22-2013 at 10:23 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #92
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:

1) Starter
2) Hillman
3) Special Teams
4) Inactive

What about Lattimore?

1) Starter
2) Hillman
3) Special Teams
4) Inactive (Lattimore)
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #93
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I listened to most of it. The 2 biggest things I got from this were that they clearly think it's absolutely crucial to hit on the 1st pick. Yeah it's nice if some of the other players are nice but he clearly expressed that it's mandatory to hit on the 1st pick.

The other thing Elway said was that they didn't feel this draft had a ton of impact players. They think it's decently deep at good players but they don't feel it has many players who are big time impact players.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #94
Paladin
Ring of Famer

I would prefer Datrone Jones @ 1, Big DT @ 2, Jonathan Franklin, UCLA rb in third, Reddick in the fourth.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-22-2013 at 10:53 PM..
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #95
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Last year Elway said "we prefer to trade down". This year he says, "It's fluid", when talking about a trade up. I bet you once Carradine or Moore goes off the board, Elway's trigger finger gets real itchy. That's all I'm saying.

Word is both Falcons, and '49ers want to trade up now. Pass-rusher is the most premium position other than QB. You connect the dots.
Falcons want a CB the niners want Vaccaro or Cyprien
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #96
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Falcons want a CB the niners want Vaccaro or Cyprien
this
Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #97
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
You mean like last year before the draft when he kept saying that defensive tackle wasn't as big of a need as everyone thought it was, and then drafted one with his first pick? Yeah, I'm not buying it either MUG.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #98
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Terrell Davis, Detron Smith, Mike Anderson, etc. could all play special teams. Lance Ball even. The only prereq is: you gotta be sturdy.

Fox likes to take high blue-chip RB's. And you'd think they would be looking for more of an impact RB who could help out immediately. Seems like everything goes back to Le'veon Bell. If he's gone, then they wait for Rayon Simmons in a late round.

As to who is cut, who knows...almost not worth speculating at this point. More interested in adding good players now, and letting the chips fall where they may. Logic says Lance Ball would be cut.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #99
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
You mean like last year before the draft when he kept saying that defensive tackle wasn't as big of a need as everyone thought it was, and then drafted one with his first pick? Yeah, I'm not buying it either MUG.
Plus, Elway's massive interest in Te'o at the combine...
Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #100
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Cyprien is also intriguing. He's a 4 year starter at safety. SS that can cover, bring the wood, and is a vocal and emotional leader. He's another guy that could come in and start from day 1 and be that 10 year starter that Elway was talking about.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote