The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #51
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
"Did you sell your fax machines?"

Elway: "Yeah, uh. . . I'm not going to get into that."

That would be precisely the kind of question an OM reporter would ask...
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #52
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I think Moreno will start, Hillman will rotate in...and the draft pick will gradually pick up snaps throughout the course of the year.

Hester rounds it out at FB.
Waa huh?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #53
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Waa huh?
You think Fox is going to throw a late 2nd or 3rd rounder in as a starter from day one? That ain't his style.

The rookie will have to earn his stripes just like anyone else. That takes time. I'm thinking the draft pick will get ramped up about halfway through the season, or when Knowshon get's hurt...whichever happens first.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #54
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
I want to make love to you.
Back off skank, he is mine!
Old 04-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #55
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
You think Fox is going to throw a late 2nd or 3rd rounder in as a starter from day one? That ain't his style.

The rookie will have to earn his stripes just like anyone else. That takes time. I'm thinking the draft pick will get ramped up about halfway through the season, or when Knowshon get's hurt...whichever happens first.
Nope, I think Willis will start over KM. Willis is healthy now and still on the team right or did I miss something?

I think if KM is still on the team when the season starts he will be the #3 RB or sit inactive until Willis goes down.

Hillman played a lot as a rookie, I bet if they grab a guy who progresses through out the season he has a chance to win the job should Willis not perform or get hurt again.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #56
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Nope, I think Willis will start over KM. Willis is healthy now and still on the team right or did I miss something?

I think if KM is still on the team when the season starts he will be the #3 RB or sit inactive until Willis goes down.

Hillman played a lot as a rookie, I bet if they grab a guy who progresses through out the season he has a chance to win the job should Willis not perform or get hurt again.
Haven't heard hide nor hair about Willis all offseason. That dude is a true soldier. However, he costs fairly large coin, is old, and fumbles a lot. Judging by Elway's comments...they might be looking to replace him.

But if the Broncos miss out on Bell, it's up in the air.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #57
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Sorry guys, had a co-worker bother me and I just lost the last few questions. Just was asked about taking a running back early. Elway says the trend has bumped guys down, but references Richardson going high last year, but talked about Shanahan getting success with late-round guys. Says it's all about finding the right player to fit your scheme. Didn't really give a hint on if they'd take one early.
Lol, pesky colleagues interrupting you during an important Bronco moment. Elway was on the radio with Nalen, about the only important thing he said was "You can't have too many good CB's, and you can't have too many good D linemen."

He talked a little bit about Ayers coming on strong late last year, mentioned Irving and Johnson as competing at MLB, mentioned bringing in some vets after the draft for leadership. Just general stuff, said he wasn't happy with the one and done in response to a question about what Manning said about being a little tougher this year. Said had a good "regular season, great year", but that's not good enough. Said he's open to anything at #28, called it a "fluid" situation. Said he would "absolutely" draft Geno Smith if he fell to #28, that was kind of a head-scratcher, maybe I heard it wrong.

He talked about drafting a QB as a possibility since "it's the most important position." He said they are not currently talking to Abraham or Freeney, "we're all about the draft right now."
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #58
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken both Stwart and Williams saw significant time as rookies. Granted they were both first round picks, I don't see why he wouldn't start the best back on the roster. The only thing that could hold up the process would be if the prospect in question couldn't block. Though Hillman had his blocking issues, and still saw a fair amount of plying time late in the season.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #59
Bacchus

Quote:
Haven't heard hide nor hair about Willis all offseason. That dude is a true soldier. However, he costs fairly large coin, is old, and fumbles a lot. Judging by Elway's comments...they might be looking to replace him.

But if the Broncos miss out on Bell, it's up in the air.
I disagree, $2.5 million is not a lot of money for your starting RB. I look for Willis to be on the team this year and split carries with another RB. Hillman will be the third down back and Moreno will be cut. He is in the last year of his contract and Denver sees little reason to bring him back.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #60
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Man this year, the broncos didn't leave any clue to where they are targeting. Last year, EVERYBODY knew they were going to get Brock as the "QB of the future", and the year before Pizza boy gave up Julius Thomas.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #61
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
I have about 23 guys worthy of a 1st round grade. The list is real small of guys that have anywhere from a 1st to 3rd round grade at #28, though.

What players do you know that scouts are so varied on? heh heh

I think Elway spilled the beans there.
I think he was talking in generalities, not about a specific player that the Broncos are set to take at 28 right now.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #62
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Knowshon wont be cut, but they did say earlier this year (after the season was over) that they view knowshon as a backup and not a starter.

Knowshon in my boy too, but unless we dont get the backs we want in this draft, and willis gets hurt again- knowshon is the backup. They also really really like ronnie. Which to me is bizarre because I do not see him as an every down back at all. But he will be getting a lot of reps this season.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #63
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Lol, pesky colleagues interrupting you during an important Bronco moment. Elway was on the radio with Nalen, about the only important thing he said was "You can't have too many good CB's, and you can't have too many good D linemen."

He talked a little bit about Ayers coming on strong late last year, mentioned Irving and Johnson as competing at MLB, mentioned bringing in some vets after the draft for leadership. Just general stuff, said he wasn't happy with the one and done in response to a question about what Manning said about being a little tougher this year. Said had a good "regular season, great year", but that's not good enough. Said he's open to anything at #28, called it a "fluid" situation. Said he would "absolutely" draft Geno Smith if he fell to #28, that was kind of a head-scratcher, maybe I heard it wrong.
He talked about drafting a QB as a possibility since "it's the most important position." He said they are not currently talking to Abraham or Freeney, "we're all about the draft right now."
I think that its a faint to other teams. If Smith, Barkley or Manual fall to #28 team in the early part of second might be temped to trade up to grab their guy.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #64
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Moreno and McGahee are both coming off knee injuries and by all reports Denver is higher on Bell (then any other prospect) a running back yet you some of you think that either one of those two are safe.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #65
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...5-096725934b99

Quote:
Any NFL-related website fans visit boasts several editions of mock drafts during the lead-up to the 2013 NFL Draft.
Here on DenverBroncos.com, we compile several of those opinions every few weeks and even ventured as far as to do our own AFC West first-round mock.
As it turns out, fans arenít the only ones who get a kick out of seeing who people think the Broncos will select. Executive Vice President of Football Operations John Elway said that he uses them as well in his pre-draft preparation.
Video of presser there also.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #66
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
If I'm not mistaken both Stwart and Williams saw significant time as rookies. Granted they were both first round picks, I don't see why he wouldn't start the best back on the roster. The only thing that could hold up the process would be if the prospect in question couldn't block. Though Hillman had his blocking issues, and still saw a fair amount of plying time late in the season.
If the Broncos take Lacy, he'll start...no doubt about it. I don't think a guy at #58 would start immediately, but could take over as the season wears on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I disagree, $2.5 million is not a lot of money for your starting RB. I look for Willis to be on the team this year and split carries with another RB. Hillman will be the third down back and Moreno will be cut. He is in the last year of his contract and Denver sees little reason to bring him back.
It would cost the Broncos $2.3M to cut Moreno, and $3.3M to keep him. He showed me something last year, as he performed just as well as McGahee

Behind DE, I view RB as the next priority. They need to find a guy who can be the bell cow. I don't know if McGahee or Moreno is the closest one to the door, it all depends on their injury situation. Keep in mind that McGahee is an old 31.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #67
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I'll be shocked if they don't draft an RB or two. Going into camp and through the season with Willis, Moreno, Hillman, Ball, Jeremiah Johnson, Fannin, Hester just doesn't look good on paper. Like Elway said, the RB position has been devalued a bit lately, but they need a better stable of backs than what they currently have.

No mention of WR, and this is supposed to be a deep draft for WR. And with DThomas and Decker coming up for new contracts, Welker also, Matt Willis gone, Caldwell barely seeing the field, they have Gerell Robinson and Greg Orton filling out the crew. Maybe WR is not a priority this year, but apparently it would be a good draft to get one on day three.

This would be a good year to have 9-10 draft picks.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #68
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
Man this year, the broncos didn't leave any clue to where they are targeting. Last year, EVERYBODY knew they were going to get Brock as the "QB of the future", and the year before Pizza boy gave up Julius Thomas.
Elway did seem to be talking up CB and DL, though. Whether that's worth a hill of beans I don't know.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #69
Bmore Manning

Quote:
I have about 23 guys worthy of a 1st round grade. The list is real small of guys that have anywhere from a 1st to 3rd round grade at #28, though.

What players do you know that scouts are so varied on? heh heh

I think Elway spilled the beans there.
Of course you have 23 first round graded players now..
Old 04-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #70
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

The Broncos want to go faster and run more plays on O. I can't think of a RB that slows this down more then Moreno. Always having to run of the field for one thing or another (mostly shoes). I doubt Manning likes the flow of the game changing because his RB has to leave the field because his damn shoe can't stay on. Get someone that can build momentum and keep it.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #71
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
Knowshon wont be cut, but they did say earlier this year (after the season was over) that they view knowshon as a backup and not a starter.

Knowshon in my boy too, but unless we dont get the backs we want in this draft, and willis gets hurt again- knowshon is the backup. They also really really like ronnie. Which to me is bizarre because I do not see him as an every down back at all. But he will be getting a lot of reps this season.
I could see them try to trade him around TC/PS time, if they can't I bet he spends as much time inactive as he does active unless he starts playing ST's.

I like Hillman as the Change of pace back who can carry the ball 15-20 times a game. He is not going to get short yardage conversions but he is effective on early downs and he can catch.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #72
Bacchus

Quote:
If the Broncos take Lacy, he'll start...no doubt about it. I don't think a guy at #58 would start immediately, but could take over as the season wears on.

It would cost the Broncos $2.3M to cut Moreno, and $3.3M to keep him. He showed me something last year, as he performed just as well as McGahee

Behind DE, I view RB as the next priority. They need to find a guy who can be the bell cow. I don't know if McGahee or Moreno is the closest one to the door, it all depends on their injury situation. Keep in mind that McGahee is an old 31.
So they save a $1 million by cutting him. I mean they could keep him on the roster, but I doubt they want to sign him to a new contract so if another RB is camp shows something Johnson or Fannin than I think Moreno will get cut. If they have no confidence in any other back than I would have no problem keeping Moreno as a third back. If they did that than I imagine Ball would be cut. That is the sticky part because Ball plays many special teams and Moreno doesn't. Your 3rd RB should play special teams IMO.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #73
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
So they save a $1 million by cutting him. I mean they could keep him on the roster, but I doubt they want to sign him to a new contract so if another RB is camp shows something Johnson or Fannin than I think Moreno will get cut. If they have no confidence in any other back than I would have no problem keeping Moreno as a third back. If they did that than I imagine Ball would be cut. That is the sticky part because Ball plays many special teams and Moreno doesn't. Your 3rd RB should play special teams IMO.
Yeah, you're right. Listening to McGahee's radio interview today...he sounds like he's ready to go. He is our best RB, hopefully he can stay healthy.

But there is one problem...

Cutting Knowshon and drafting a 2nd round RB is revenue neutral. Is Le'veon Bell that much better of a player than Knowshon to spend #58 on? Tough decision. Knowshon is pretty good. Maybe they could wait a year to pick an RB?

Last edited by pricejj; 04-22-2013 at 06:42 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #74
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
I think that its a faint to other teams. If Smith, Barkley or Manual fall to #28 team in the early part of second might be temped to trade up to grab their guy.
Ah, yeah. That 28 spot could be appealing, I think it always is for somebody. 25 and 31 sure got a lot of interest last year. Might be nice to get another 3rd rounder. Maybe get some better value for the 28 this year, I don't think they got much value with the trade downs last year.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #75
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Everybody seems to think they need to upgrade at RB. Johnson and Fannin haven't done jack their entire time on the team, and I doubt they do in the future. It's just not a good situation at RB with Moreno and McGahee injured for parts of the past two seasons and probably will be again this season. Hillman is the only young guy worth a damn on the roster, and he doesn't seem like a bell cow guy unless he turns into Warrick Dunn. It's just not a good situation for the team at RB right now and has to be addressed in the draft to the tune of one guy on day two and another on day three. Hester is just a guy, good for depth nothing special. Ball is a valuable guy for ST's but not much of a gamer really.

The way things are shaping up it would be nice to have a decent running attack, and this current bunch don't look too solid.