The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #26
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,633

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

"We had that guy from Arizona, what was his last name? Arizona Matt. And Dysert."

Says he is glad they aren't in need in a QB of this draft, but are interested in looking hard at developing a guy.

Believes Osweiler would have been close to the top, if not the top QB in this class.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #27
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,756
Default

What about this year's qb class?

Elway: I am just glad we are not in that market

lol

then went on to say they are always looking at guys they feel they can develop
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #28
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,633

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
What about this year's qb class?

Elway: I am just glad we are not in that market

lol

then went on to say they are always looking at guys they feel they can develop
Lol yeah, "Arizona Matt" literally had me squealing like a girl in my office. Couldn't even remember his last name and they brought him in privately.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #29
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,633

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Ryan Clady contingency plan has been discussed in drafts, but they have to ask, "Do you value this LT here now more than this DT or CB, etc." Feels confident they will reach an agreement, so he isn't too worried about that situation.

Then some **** about the ESPN 30/30 -- and it's over.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #30
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,015
Default

1. Question: "Are you taking BPA?"...Elway: "Yes".
2. Definitely willing to move up from #28. "It's a fluid situation."
3. Has faith in Robert Ayers. Likes the Defensive line, "not to say we won't add any players to the DL".
3. Mentioned Shanahan's ability to take low round RB's.
4. He has 21-23 first round grades.
5. Not a ton of impact guys, but a lot of depth in the draft
6. Looks at all the mock drafts...He says it's interesting looking at 28, how some mock drafters have a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round grade on the guy the Broncos are looking at.
7. "McGahee is the big back right now...see what happens in the draft".
8. Doesn't have problems with draft picks with maturity issues, because the core of the team is strong.
9. DE: "A lot of good football players there, it comes down to what flavor you like. If there's a DE there that we feel fits mold, then we'll pick one at #28. Find 10 year guys, and can't make mistakes with the 1st round pick"
10. Mentioned trading up, or trading down again.
11. They have 4 guys to choose from at each pick.
12. They practice a lot of mock drafts.
13. 5-6 guys in the draft room. Elway, Fox, Russell, McGill, and Peters.
14. CB: Lot of good players at Safety and CB. Didn't get into it further.
15. QB: "Glad we're not in that market". Might look late in the draft (Arizona Matt, Dysert)
16: Manning going to limit throws this spring. Brock will get a lot of throws in OTA's.
17. Looking for a couple starters, and some solid contributors
18. Ask priorities from each coordinator. Always more priorities than picks (talking about OL).
19. See how Irving and Johnson do, throughout the spring...then look for a veteran after the spring. Know after OTA's where they sit.
20. called himself 'Elway the GM'.

Last edited by pricejj; 04-22-2013 at 12:24 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #31
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,015
Default

Things that I took from it.

1. "McGahee is our big back right now. That's not to say things won't change in the draft". Seems that they are definitely planning on replacing McGahee with a big back (Bell?), if the situation presents itself...like we have talked about.
2. There are only a couple players that have been mocked at #28, that have a 1st-3rd round grade (which Elway alluded to when talking about #28) (D. Moore?).
3. Might spend a late round pick on a QB.
4. Sounds like he's going with Irving and Bradley...may add veteran (Brooking?) after OTA's, if Irving sucks, which has been alluded to throughout this offseason. This should effectively end the Omane clamor for Dansby.
5. I doubt they are going to add any OL. Elway said, "always more priorities than picks", when talking about the OL.

Last edited by pricejj; 04-22-2013 at 11:56 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #32
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Things that I took from it.

1. "McGahee is our big back right now. That's not to say things won't change in the draft". Seems that they are definitely planning on replacing McGahee with a big back (Bell?), if the situation presents itself...like we have talked about.
2. There are only a couple players that have been mocked at #28, that have a 1st-3rd round grade, and talked a lot about DE's (D. Moore?)
3. Might spend a late round pick on a QB.
4. Sounds like he's going with Irving and Bradley...may add veteran (Brooking?) after OTA's, if Irving sucks, which has been alluded to throughout this offseason.


I think if he can stay healthy (big if) Bradley will be another FA gem and contribute to the team hopefully as the starting MLBer. He has the experience
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #33
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
I think if he can stay healthy (big if) Bradley will be another FA gem and contribute to the team hopefully as the starting MLBer. He has the experience
Have no clue what to think about that dude. At least, he should be major on special teams.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #34
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Let's see how much of this is true verses how much is untrue..

Does anybody have the press conference from last year? These should be kept so we can compare Elway the GM each year.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #35
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,633

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

I think from watching Elway's body language that he is not impressed with who we have at ILB and they are no doubt going to take an RB. I would venture to say they would like to get a DB somewhere and some DL.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #36
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Let's see how much of this is true verses how much is untrue..

Does anybody have the press conference from last year? These should be kept so we can compare Elway the GM each year.
There are transcripts of the 2012 presser online.

2012 Pre-draft presser:
1. On pick #25: "We prefer to trade down", looking for an impact player (picked Wolfe).
2. On picking a QB: "It's fluid" (picked Osweiler).
3. Talked about picking an LB because of DJ Williams situation (picked Trevathan), and said "you can never have enough good CB's" (picked Bolden).
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #37
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I think from watching Elway's body language that he is not impressed with who we have at ILB and they are no doubt going to take an RB. I would venture to say they would like to get a DB somewhere and some DL.
He specifically mentioned the DL (other than DE). I bet he adds a late round DT (Geathers?).

I'm real comfortable with my Broncos mock (1st - D. Moore, 2nd - L Bell, 3rd - TJ McDonald, 5th - K. Geathers, 7th - Best Kicker available) after listening to this presser:


Here's the on-demand radio link for those who want to listen to the whole thing:
http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/E....aspx?PID=1620

Last edited by pricejj; 04-22-2013 at 12:20 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #38
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,888

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

I think our fourth round pick slept with Price's girlfriend.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #39
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,544

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson
Default

I don't know about picking a late round QB. Not saying that won't have a rookie QB. I think for sure we'll sign a UDFA QB. You never know we might get a Tony Romo out of it. (Hope not)
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #40
underrated29
Ahoy
 
You lika da sexy

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,159

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Hey guys,

John Elway will be doing the media pre-draft presser from Dove Valley today at 12:00 PM (MST). Also, here is the link to the team's draft release/publication for 2013. Has some great information!


I want to make love to you.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #41
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I think our fourth round pick slept with Price's girlfriend.
Last year Elway said "we prefer to trade down". This year he says, "It's fluid", when talking about a trade up. I bet you once Carradine or Moore goes off the board, Elway's trigger finger gets real itchy. That's all I'm saying.

Word is both Falcons, and '49ers want to trade up now. Pass-rusher is the most premium position other than QB. You connect the dots.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #42
crush17
orange & blue
 
crush17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,405

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!
Default

Let's all play a game of "jump to conclusions"...

Seriously, though, thanks for the cliffs notes.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #43
underrated29
Ahoy
 
You lika da sexy

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,159

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Last year Elway said "we prefer to trade down". This year he says, "It's fluid", when talking about a trade up. I bet you once Carradine or Moore goes off the board, Elway's trigger finger gets real itchy. That's all I'm saying.

Word is both Falcons, and '49ers want to trade up now. Pass-rusher is the most premium position other than QB. You connect the dots.


xavier rhodes
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #44
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,460

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Two positions the Broncos figure to address within the first three rounds are running back and cornerback.
"With (Willis) McGahee, he's our big back right now," Elway said. "We have Ronnie Hillman who's a 190-pounder change-of-pace type guy. We look at Willis as being that big back for us right now, and then we'll see what happens in the draft."


Read more: John Elway expects Broncos to use pick at No. 28 in NFL draft - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2RE5iq4cb
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

More here: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...nfl-draft-2013

Sounds like KM is an afterthought and is the #3 RB...
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #45
bap454
Ring of Famer
 
bap454's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,063

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
1. Question: "Are you taking BPA?"...Elway: "Yes".
2. Definitely willing to move up from #28. "It's a fluid situation."
3. Has faith in Robert Ayers. Likes the Defensive line, "not to say we won't add any players to the DL".
3. Mentioned Shanahan's ability to take low round RB's.
4. He has 21-23 first round grades.
5. Not a ton of impact guys, but a lot of depth in the draft
6. Looks at all the mock drafts...He says it's interesting looking at 28, how some mock drafters have a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round grade on the guy the Broncos are looking at.
7. "McGahee is the big back right now...see what happens in the draft".
8. Doesn't have problems with draft picks with maturity issues, because the core of the team is strong.
9. DE: "A lot of good football players there, it comes down to what flavor you like. If there's a DE there that we feel fits mold, then we'll pick one at #28. Find 10 year guys, and can't make mistakes with the 1st round pick"
10. Mentioned trading up, or trading down again.
11. They have 4 guys to choose from at each pick.
12. They practice a lot of mock drafts.
13. 5-6 guys in the draft room. Elway, Fox, Russell, McGill, and Peters.
14. CB: Lot of good players at Safety and CB. Didn't get into it further.
15. QB: "Glad we're not in that market". Might look late in the draft (Arizona Matt, Dysert)
16: Manning going to limit throws this spring. Brock will get a lot of throws in OTA's.
17. Looking for a couple starters, and some solid contributors
18. Ask priorities from each coordinator. Always more priorities than picks (talking about OL).
19. See how Irving and Johnson do, throughout the spring...then look for a veteran after the spring. Know after OTA's where they sit.
20. called himself 'Elway the GM'.
#6 to me is pretty interesting. So pretty much we can cross off the list all sure fire first round locks... Then again, after trying to make a list... i can only come up with 12-15 prospects. I guess i Will have to wait.
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #46
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,422

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

How does KM not being mentioned make him a casualty all of a sudden?
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #47
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sun and Beachville
Posts: 14,066

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I think the big question here is how they approach the lack of impact players. I think if they were going to sit in place, he wouldn't make a comment about there not being a ton of impact players then saying you have to hit your first round pick. If the rest of the guys are just depth, you wouldn't lose much by not hitting there.

Thanks for the notes for those that posted.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #48
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap454 View Post
#6 to me is pretty interesting. So pretty much we can cross off the list all sure fire first round locks... Then again, after trying to make a list... i can only come up with 12-15 prospects. I guess i Will have to wait.
I have about 23 guys worthy of a 1st round grade. The list is real small of guys that have anywhere from a 1st to 3rd round grade at #28, though.

What players do you know that scouts are so varied on? heh heh

I think Elway spilled the beans there.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #49
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,460

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
How does KM not being mentioned make him a casualty all of a sudden?
I didn't say that, I said afterthought. I did think it was funny Elway mentioned Hillman over KM.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #50
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,015
Default

I think Moreno will start, Hillman will rotate in...and the draft pick will gradually pick up snaps throughout the course of the year.

Hester rounds it out at FB.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:27 AM.


Denver Broncos