The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Poll: Should companies in Colorado be allowed to test and fire their employees for off duty pot use?
Poll Options
Should companies in Colorado be allowed to test and fire their employees for off duty pot use?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default This is interesting

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...duty-marijuana

Cops and Courts
Colorado appeals court OKs firing for off-duty marijuana use
Posted: 04/25/2013 09:05:15 AM MDT
Updated: 04/25/2013 09:14:10 AM MDT
By John Ingold

A divided Colorado Court of Appeals panel on Thursday upheld the firing of a man for off-the-job medical-marijuana use, concluding that, because marijuana is illegal under federal law, employees have no protection to use it anytime.

The decision — which is precedent-setting — has broad implications not just for medical-marijuana patients but for any adult using marijuana in Colorado since voters legalized the substance in November.

Read more: Colorado appeals court OKs firing for off-duty marijuana use - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...#ixzz2RUSJAeVv
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

Should companies in Colorado be allowed to test and fire their employees for off duty pot use? And if yes, a follow up would be should a company be allowed to fire an employee if they can prove the employee abuses alcohol?

Last edited by spdirty; 04-25-2013 at 08:47 AM..
spdirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Brandon Coats — a quadriplegic medical-marijuana patient who was fired from his job as a telephone operator at Dish Network after testing positive for marijuana — said the statute should apply in his case, since there is no evidence he was impaired on the job.
Unreal!! Ditch Dish!
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I know this for a fact if you are a driver for UPS and FedEx in Colorado you will be drug tested and if you test positive for marijuana you will be fired.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I tell people all the time. Legal weed will be theo worst thing for older smokers. Young ones in HS/College who dont yet care about jobs no big deal, its better. They will be able to buy weed and even 6th and 7th graders will have no problem buying it from SR's that turn 18. My nephew just graduated and told me he knew a couple kids at his HS that got med lic, already 18, and would buy the weed then sell it at school to the kids not yet old enough to go to the shops.

But for adults they will make it .5 nanograms to be DUI which means most regular smokers will test positive even without smoking. They will let companies say no job for pot smokers so you won't be able to get good work.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I know this for a fact if you are a driver for UPS and FedEx in Colorado you will be drug tested and if you test positive for marijuana you will be fired.
yep my friends works for UPS any little accident he says you get tested.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Well a workplace can choose not to hire you if you smoke tobacco, why not weed?
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
nyuk nyuk

At least SOMEONE is enforcing federal law.

There's nothing wrong with this, unless you don't mind the idea of a hospital allowing its surgeons to toke up.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
yep my friends works for UPS any little accident he says you get tested.
I think one reason for this is that people who use drugs are more likely to be in financial straits to get more drugs which means they're more likely to steal parcels.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

the process by which drugs are declared illegal is completely bogus.

think of the credit default swaps JPMorgan could issue on meth.

talk about a boost to the economy.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
the process by which drugs are declared illegal is completely bogus.

think of the credit default swaps JPMorgan could issue on meth.

talk about a boost to the economy.
Cry all you want, it's federal law.

If you're willing to toss common sense and morality out of the window for money, then why not push to bring back slavery and child labor?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
I think one reason for this is that people who use drugs are more likely to be in financial straits to get more drugs which means they're more likely to steal parcels.
Ummmm...no, it's because UPS, FedEx, all jobs like that require a large portion of their workforce to work on or near heavy machinery and/or trucks. Also nearly every job that requires a large amount of driving requires a drug test. Yellow Cab, for example...drug tests. Best Buy drug tests. Why? Because every employee is required to learn how to use the hi-lo. This is because insurance companies will not insure (or will do so but only at higher rates) companies that do not drug test employees who do potentially dangerous work. For companies which have a large portion of their workforce doing jobs which require drug tests, a lot of times it's more efficient to test every employee than it is to only test those to whom it applies. This is particularly the case in smaller businesses where, like I said, people work around heavy machinery, etc.

Quote:
At least SOMEONE is enforcing federal law.

There's nothing wrong with this, unless you don't mind the idea of a hospital allowing its surgeons to toke up.
Companies choosing to do drug tests are definitely not doing so to enforce federal laws. It would be a complete waste of time and money to do so based on ideology.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with companies choosing to do drug tests. The unfortunate thing about it though is that unless you do random testing after the initial test, there's about zero effect on the number of people you hire who do drugs. The Best Buy I worked at several years ago tested every employee before they were hired. I took the test and passed, even though I had smoked 10 days earlier. Two weeks after I was hired, I attended a party where there was a LOT of illegal substances, and the entire management staff from BOTH stores in town were there.

Pre-employment drug screenings are pretty much useless.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

Quote:
Cry all you want, it's federal law.

If you're willing to toss common sense and morality out of the window for money, then why not push to bring back slavery and child labor?
oops. sarcasm off.

still, what is an illegal drug and what is a legal drug is dependent upon nefarious deciders.

drugs are immoral? please.

related to slavery and child labor? seriously?

only the rich get to play with drugs. the poor are incarcerated.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote