The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default Req is this you? (Wheaton love) / What WR does the OM want?

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/04/14.../#ver=20130404

Another blogger liking Mr. Wheaton.

Besides this who does the om want if we draft a WR?
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Nope! Not me. But that article is FANTASTIC and outlines a lot of the reasons why he is my FAVORITE WR in the draft. Not my highest rated prospect, but I think he is going to be a boss hogger in the NFL. Game is impeccable.

Wheaton is the dimension this offense needs.

I am also very high on Aaron Dobson out of Marshall. I love his ball skills and his hands are top notch.

A few others, but those are my dream receivers.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

I do not want Denver to spend a pick on WR this year. We already up graded with Welker. I would much rather us use a pick on a top running back. The addition of an all around RB would do a lot more to improve this offense.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
I do not want Denver to spend a pick on WR this year. We already up graded with Welker. I would much rather us use a pick on a top running back. The addition of an all around RB would do a lot more to improve this offense.
I really think it would be wise to add a WR this year (or next). Can we possibly resign Decker and Thomas at the rate we are going? Might need a new #2 coming up, and Welker is on his last legs. Time to add some depth (when DT goes down for a game or 2 inevitably, or Decker) and also youth to replace Welker down the road (2 years?).
Old 04-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Denver needs to upgrade Willis and Caldwell. Besides the top guys I'm a huge fan of Josh Boyce. Both Tavarres King and Chris Harper impressed me during the senior bowl week. So they would be on my list of later round guy to look at. Still I can't help but think Conner Vernon gets drafted by us. Manning has to have a good relationship with him by now.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Wide Receiver Situation:

Demaryius has two years on his contract.

Decker is in his final year.

Welker has two years.

Caldwell and Willis can be upgraded.

History of Demaryius getting knicked up and the fact anyone can get injured.

Considering the depth of this WR class (and the chance to develop talent and keep it going for Manning and Brock or QBOTF) it would be wise to add a selection. We don't necessarily need a top three round guy, but there are going to be good players who profile as #2 or #3 guys in the NFL available in the fourth round.

The front office would be absolutely to ignore one of the best WR drafts depth wise in a long, long time. Next man up, suckas.

Last edited by Requiem; 04-15-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Old 04-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Wide Receiver Situation:

Demaryius has two years on his contract.

Decker is in his final year.

Welker has two years.

Caldwell and Willis can be upgraded.

Considering the depth of this WR class (and the chance to develop talent and keep it going for Manning and Brock or QBOTF) it would be wise to add a selection. We don't necessarily need a top three round guy, but there are going to be good players who profile as #2 or #3 guys in the NFL available in the fourth round.

The front office would be absolutely to ignore one of the best WR drafts depth wise in a long, long time.
This is exactly why I would prefer us to just sign Bradshaw instead of drafting a RB. We can focus on MLB, DE, and S in the first three rounds that way. I guess if we move back from 28 and pick up another 3rd rounder we could still do that though.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
SlyEli

I think they'd like to develop a guy to give them leverage against decker in contract talks next offseason.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I like all the above mentioned as well.

Also really like Robert Woods to be a steady pro as well.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
This is exactly why I would prefer us to just sign Bradshaw instead of drafting a RB. We can focus on MLB, DE, and S in the first three rounds that way. I guess if we move back from 28 and pick up another 3rd rounder we could still do that though.
I think we should still draft a running back. I agree with those positions. I would also like to see us get a DT as well, because Knighton and Vickerson aren't here past a few years (as of now) and we need to groom our own stud on the interior. I would like to see us get a MIKE, DB, DE, DT and RB with our first four selections. I hope we can trade down to do that and get an extra third or fourth. Then get depth at OL/WR, etc. with our 4th, 5 and 7th rounder.

Here is a trade down netting us an extra second and fifth round pick. (Don't wanna be too greedy)

(2a) Best DL Available
(2b) Le'Veon Bell, RB
(3a) DJ Swearinger, DB
(3b) Kevin Reddick, MIKE
(4) WR/PRS/CB/OL Depth
(5a) WR/PRS/CB/OL Depth
(5b) WR/PRS/CB/OL Depth
(7) QB/SPECIAL TEAMS DEPTH

I still think we can add a CB and WR to this roster. I want to have the best depth in the league. Lets get it done.

Last edited by Requiem; 04-15-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
I like all the above mentioned as well.

Also really like Robert Woods to be a steady pro as well.
Definitely. I think he'd be a good insurance policy for Decker.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I think we should still draft a running back. I agree with those positions. I would also like to see us get a DT as well, because Knighton and Vickerson aren't here past a few years (as of now) and we need to groom our own stud on the interior. I would like to see us get a MIKE, DB, DE, DT and RB with our first four selections. I hope we can trade down to do that and get an extra third or fourth. Then get depth at OL/WR, etc. with our 4th, 5 and 7th rounder.

Here is a trade down netting us an extra second and fifth round pick. (Don't wanna be too greedy)

(2a) Best DL Available
(2b) Le'Veon Bell, RB
(3a) DJ Swearinger, DB
(3b) Kevin Reddick, MIKE
(4) WR/PRS/CB/OL Depth
(5a) WR/PRS/CB/OL Depth
(5b) WR/PRS/CB/OL Depth

I still think we can add a CB and WR to this roster. I want to have the best depth in the league. Lets get it done.
If the DL is Corey Lemonier then I will be happy. I believe he is going to match Bruce Irvin sack totals from last season. I don't like Bell though. I don't think he runs as big as he is, but I don't want to get into that in this thread
Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

I do not think we can have it both ways guys.

We are either building for win now or building for the future. Everyone keeps saying we are in a 2 year window with Peyton Manning, if this is the case we need to maximize the chances of winning a superbowl now... Drafting another QB does not accomplish this, and let's be real, wasting a pick on a QB in the 7th round is useless. We spent a 2nd round pick last year on a QB of the future and if Brock is not our future QB, I doubt that this regime can find one in the 7th round this year.

If we are going all out to win now, we should look at QUALITY players that not only provide depth, but have a real shot at starting for our team. I would prefer we draft 2, maybe 3 studs that will step up and improve our team now, than draft a bunch of crap with the hope they fit in 3-4 years from now.

Running back, Middle linebacker, Defensive end (replacing Doom) and a safety is what I feel we need to concentrate on this year. Trade back in the first and use our latter picks to move up to get the key players we need that can make a difference now.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:

(2a) Best DL Available
(2b) Le'Veon Bell, RB
(3a) DJ Swearinger, DB
(3b) Kevin Reddick, MIKE
(4) WR/PRS/CB/OL Depth
(5a) WR/PRS/CB/OL Depth
(5b) WR/PRS/CB/OL Depth

I just cannot get on board with Bell.....

No matter how much highlight film I see and from the 2 games I saw of him last year. He just does not excite me like Franklin does.

I might end up being wrong, but I am going to say Franklin will be a better pro.

What do you like about Swearinger btw? just curious
Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Whichever is the best available WR in the 5th or 7th Round. I'm good with that.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
Drunken.Broncoholic

Lmao that welker is on his last legs. Nothing about his career shows me he's injury prone or not healthy. 118 catches last year doesn't compute to on his last legs. Dude is a machine at slot.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
I just cannot get on board with Bell.....

No matter how much highlight film I see and from the 2 games I saw of him last year. He just does not excite me like Franklin does.

I might end up being wrong, but I am going to say Franklin will be a better pro.

What do you like about Swearinger btw? just curious
DJ Swearinger has started two and a half years and played all his college games since he was a freshman. Great in the box. Effective against the run. Great blitzing skills. Good enough speed and agility to play in two deep coverage. Fearless leader. Doesn't drop the easy interceptions and makes a maximum effort to go for low and tipped balls that might be out of his range. Also played cornerback when SC had a lot of injuries to their top players at the position. Versatile. Can play in a lot of sets. Gives us depth at various DB positions.

This dude is a baller.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

I think you're panicking over nothing regarding the contract status of any Broncos of note. Let's be realistic here. Who have we let walk in the last 10 years who was a very good player on our roster, answer = Shannon Sharpe.

I cannot recall another notable free agent we let walk. Gold went one year and we got a 3rd rd comp pick. He was back within 1 season, Sharpe came back after 1-2 years.

Denver, never ever let it's best players walk unless some **** like McDaniels is pulling the strings.

Now some may off course point to the Elvis Dumervil situation but it was off course 1 in a million occurence with that ****ed up fax fiasco.

Then again Dumervil wasn't a free agent, he was a player who was earning far more than he was worth and if Elway didn't keep that in check there's no way we could afford to re-sign our own free agents, which is what we will do if the Broncos Front office think they are worth it and afterall they are the ones who put their money and balls on the line every season.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #19
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I am not panicking. Regardless of the contract status of our receivers, I do believe that adding another WR to upgrade over who we have in Caldwell and Willis would be a smart idea. We have those five guys, plus a few street free agents. I welcome competition, and believe that having a guy who can be locked in for Osweiler or whomever comes in after Manning would be a blessing for the team.

As I stated, we don't have to burn a top choice on one. However, I think we would be short-sighted and foolish not to use one of our selections in the fourth or fifth rounds on a guy who is there. We will see. I hope we do it.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

If you had the choice of taking a guy like Brandon Jenkins, Bennie Logan or Tharold Simon in the late 4th, would you pass that up to draft a Harper, Stills, Marques Wilson or King

I certainly wouldn't. It all depends though on how the draft falls and whether Denver can get the guys they want at DL/RB/CB or even OL in the first 3 rounds.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #21
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

As you said, it would be dependent on who is available. I think we should draft a wide receiver at some point in time for the reasons stated.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #22
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Justin Hunter, big 6-3+ 210 lb WR from Tennessee.
i think he has the potential to be the top WR to come from this draft.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
If you had the choice of taking a guy like Brandon Jenkins, Bennie Logan or Tharold Simon in the late 4th, would you pass that up to draft a Harper, Stills, Marques Wilson or King

I certainly wouldn't. It all depends though on how the draft falls and whether Denver can get the guys they want at DL/RB/CB or even OL in the first 3 rounds.
It all depends on everything that happens before it eddie. It depends on who we have taken, and who everyone else has taken, and what is BPA at that point.

All too often, we try to make this a simple comparison of player to player, when it is never that easy on draft day. Plus, we all have these guys graded differently than DEN or the other teams. I would take King and Harper over all those guys mentioned above, not just on talent but scheme fit. Jenkins concerns on injury being more than a year with a lisfranc, Logan is not a Del Rio big body type, even though i think he could two gap pretty well and be a solid Pass rushing NT in the Nickel, and I am NOT as high on Simon as most. Simon is a boom or bust pick to me.

King, Harper, Wheaton, and Dobson are the most undervalued WR's in this draft to me. I would love to get any one of them for the short and long term.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #24
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

On a related WR note, Keenan Allen failed a drug test.

Does he fall out of the first round? He's my 2nd WR off of the board.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/sto...st-sources-say
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #25
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
On a related WR note, Keenan Allen failed a drug test.

Does he fall out of the first round? He's my 2nd WR off of the board.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/sto...st-sources-say
if that lingers he likely falls to the surefire bottom of the first.
i'd say he's likely the 3rd WR off the board either way.
Austin probably goes first due to the Harvin comparisons. Patterson,Hopkins and sadly Hunter are likely the #2 guy off the board and then Allen.
he could fall to the 2nd and be the 4th or 5th if the thing lingers though.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: