The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #26
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
I grewup at the end of the 70's impressive Detroit muscle with 455 engines from three different manufactures and so on. Then came the late 70s and 80s where everyhting was detuned and sized down as in 305 being the only engine you could get in a Camaro for a while.

While I am still a Trans Am guy you gotta love 400-525hp stock with a 6 speed and killer brakes and suspension from the factory. Even in the 70s with killer hp ratings they weren't this high and had ****ty brakes and suspension and maybe a 4 speed.

Whats not to like............even I would not want to modify a new Camaro or Mustang except for the ugly looks of the things............lol

Had a 79 TA as a teen with the long front end and huge bird with shaker hood...........real looker in the day but it had 2.73 gears, auto and the OLDS 403 pathetic 185 hp.

But for the day it was adequate and it was a chick magnet.

These days I roll a 89 Pontiac Trans Am GTA....red with gold wheels, leather, 350, t-tops, perfect condition with 9,000 miles.

Only 250hp but I keep convincing myself not to mod her with the low miles..............

Second TA is an 87 with the lowly 305 with 37,000 on it.

Its been modded just a bit.........with the TPI and 3.73 gears she is quick light to light.

Love to have the looks of yesterday with the power and suspension of today.
Man the only thing missing from your post is a jpg of Huggy Bear from Starsky and Hutch.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #27
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

the latest Shelby GT500 is an amazing Mustang and really stole the Thunder from this pig of a Camaro. The new Z28 looks like it will compete will against the GT500 and Boss but Ford will finally add an IRS in 2015 to the next Mustang. I've read it's a smaller body so the engine sizes will have to come down.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #28
Ironlung
Terminator

Snake Bitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
the latest Shelby GT500 is an amazing Mustang and really stole the Thunder from this pig of a Camaro.
This. 650hp & 200 mph...Bone stock.
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
So, A guy posted a youtube video from the local races last night and it has my brothers 67 Camaro racing a new Gen Camaro SS. After watching the video, I have lost all respect for the new generation Camaro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgf7E...ature=youtu.be

For reference my bothers Camaro is running a 565 ci naturally aspirated motor.
I love 60's Camaros. Sounds like your brother's car is really cool. But it's not really an apples to apples comparison. A heavily modded 60's Camaro like that should crush an emissions compliant, street legal, daily driver new Camaro in the 1/4 mile. Even a new one.

You can make anything fast with money and power. I've seen guys do LS2 Vette engine swaps in Jeep Wranglers and supercharge the engine. One guy had a one that would run a 12 second quarter mile on 36" tires.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #30
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
What gets me is that it is naturally aspirated and just totally ran through, over and around the other car.
I'm gonna guess the new Camaro had street tires, not slicks. Your Brother probably pulled a low 1 second 60 foot time, the new one, I'd guess in the low 2's. The new Camaro would probably be lucky to run that same ET in the 1/8th mile, not a 1/4 mile.

Here's a Bugatti Veyron's times...

Quick summary of the test results: 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, 1/4 mile in 10.4 seconds @ 139.9 mph, 60-0 in 104 feet (better than Ferrari Enzo and the Ford GT, trails the much lighter Porsche Carrera GT by only 3 feet) and a curb weight of 4,530 pounds. The numbers were generated with the "idiot-proof" launch control working, it basically keeps the RPMs below 4,000 for the first 2 seconds, shows just how powerful the engine is as it doesn't even need full power for such an amazing 0-60 time. Check out the video for the full Bugatti Veyron experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
You can make anything fast with money and power. I've seen guys do LS2 Vette engine swaps in Jeep Wranglers and supercharge the engine. One guy had a one that would run a 12 second quarter mile on 36" tires.
I remember seeing a Youtube video of some 4 door Saturn with a big turbo, kid was whipping the crap outa anything he ran up against.

Last edited by hades; 04-13-2013 at 06:28 PM..
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #31
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
I'm gonna guess the new Camaro had street tires, not slicks. Your Brother probably pulled a low 1 second 60 foot time, the new one, I'd guess in the low 2's. The new Camaro would probably be lucky to run that same ET in the 1/8th mile, not a 1/4 mile.

Here's a Bugatti Veyron's times...

Quick summary of the test results: 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, 1/4 mile in 10.4 seconds @ 139.9 mph, 60-0 in 104 feet (better than Ferrari Enzo and the Ford GT, trails the much lighter Porsche Carrera GT by only 3 feet) and a curb weight of 4,530 pounds. The numbers were generated with the "idiot-proof" launch control working, it basically keeps the RPMs below 4,000 for the first 2 seconds, shows just how powerful the engine is as it doesn't even need full power for such an amazing 0-60 time. Check out the video for the full Bugatti Veyron experience.

I remember seeing a Youtube video of some 4 door Saturn with a big turbo, kid was whipping the crap outa anything he ran up against.
How did we get from a Camaro thread to taking about Bugattis? That's like 1.5 million more than the Camaro.

Lots of platforms will accept turbocharging and supercharging with extremely good results (in reference to the Saturn). Look up Pontiac G6 Lingenfelter if you want to see another platform that can get extreme results (drag racing), from "maxing out" the base engine with heavy modifications
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #32
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I am not surprised that he beat the other car, I just thought they were faster than that. After seeing his car the last couple of seasons with the smaller motor beating all the guys on their 1000 and 1100 street bikes. All I can figure is that I never seen him run against a plain old stock street car and that does make one hell of a difference.
Modern Cameros and Mustangs, etc. are wicked fast even stock (the higher trim levels anyway). Even with higher curb weight they would beat the tar out of their older stock brethren.

It just so happens your brothers car is insanely fast! =)

Last edited by Fedaykin; 04-13-2013 at 07:17 PM..
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #33
hades

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
How did we get from a Camaro thread to taking about Bugattis? That's like 1.5 million more than the Camaro.

Lots of platforms will accept turbocharging and supercharging with extremely good results (in reference to the Saturn). Look up Pontiac G6 Lingenfelter if you want to see another platform that can get extreme results (drag racing), from "maxing out" the base engine with heavy modifications
Yeah, it's not a fair comparison, but neither is a race car to a street car. But, your Brothers car compares to that on a more even basis, based on HP alone, but still weighs a lot less, and has no A/C. L O L

I mean, compare Usain Bolt to me in a 100 meter dash, he'd look like your brothers Camaro!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #34
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

A drag racing thread? Count me in!

The newer stuff is pretty cool, i'm currently in the end stages of transplanting a GM 6.0 into my 86 Mustang. Can't beat the technology that todays engines offer, add a turbo and you have an instant monster.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #35
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Couple years back my buddies new Camaro ran an upper 12, 2 days after picking it up from the dealer 100% bone stock.

The new Mustangs are running crazy times with very simple bolt ons.

For reference my old combo (67mm 306" SBF) ran 10.30's@130 and was a daily driver during good weather months. That combo made 525/626 (hp/tq) and weighed 3140lbs with me and a full tank of gas.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #36
hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
The exhaust is an MRT Interceptor. If you haven't heard it, holy ****! It is one of the deepest, best sounding axle-backs I have ever heard. Very low tone on startup, very beefy sound through the RPM band, but almost silent in 5th and 6th gear on the highway. I heard it in another 2013 GT then bought it on the spot.
Just found some Youtube clips with that exhaust, sounds great! I love a deep rumble on a V8 car.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #37
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
A drag racing thread? Count me in!

The newer stuff is pretty cool, i'm currently in the end stages of transplanting a GM 6.0 into my 86 Mustang. Can't beat the technology that todays engines offer, add a turbo and you have an instant monster.
We had a drag race event in Tulsa a coupe of weeks ago. I've never been to one before, and my family and I had nothing going on so we went spur of the moment. I think they were running 1/8 mile but not sure... they were running 3.7 / 200 mph type numbers. Having never seen anything like that it was pretty incredible. The kids loved it. I think we'll be back.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #38
hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
We had a drag race event in Tulsa a coupe of weeks ago. I've never been to one before, and my family and I had nothing going on so we went spur of the moment. I think they were running 1/8 mile but not sure... they were running 3.7 / 200 mph type numbers. Having never seen anything like that it was pretty incredible. The kids loved it. I think we'll be back.
There is an 1/8 mile track near here in Kenedale we used to go to on weekends. On Sundays it was open to the public to run down the track. A Mom and her 3 kids went down in her 4 door Chevy car, probably 60 MPH in 15 seconds, but those kids were having the time of their lives! As far as they were concerned, they were hauling ass down a race track, L O L
Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #39
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
There is an 1/8 mile track near here in Kenedale we used to go to on weekends. On Sundays it was open to the public to run down the track. A Mom and her 3 kids went down in her 4 door Chevy car, probably 60 MPH in 15 seconds, but those kids were having the time of their lives! As far as they were concerned, they were hauling ass down a race track, L O L
That's awesome.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #40
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Yeah 3 things.

1) Older Camero was not even close to stock.
2) The driver of the newer Camero was terrible.
3) Anything other then a straight sprint the newer Camero would have slaughtered the other.

If you want to lose respect for the newer one base on that video, that's your decision but it's a poor one.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #41
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Well thank you for straightening out my opinion for me... I will sleep better tonight thanks to you.

"1) Older Camero was not even close to stock."

That is the understatement of the year, I can not think of 1 part on the car that is stock. With NHRA rules and regulations, I do not think you can run the 8:35 class with anything remotely resembling stock.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #42
hades

Quote:
Well thank you for straightening out my opinion for me... I will sleep better tonight thanks to you.
I actually L O L when I read that!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #43
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
You just gave every lawyer on the OM a chubby ........
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #44
hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
You just gave every lawyer on the OM a chubby ........
, it was a few years ago, like in 2002/2003 probably. I think they let you take passengers if you ran slower than a 9 sec 1/8th mile. Plus, this is Texas, we drive fast and all have guns