The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default 2013 Gardening Thread

Anybody seeded their vegetables? I harvested some of the green onions I seeded last fall. I did a little forking in the rest of the garden, added some compost, but it's a little early to seed. Maybe radish, spinach, peas next week. Last freeze here is expected to be about May 10th, but those crops can withstand a freeze or two.

The peach tree budded already, the apple tree is starting up, the grape vines should start soon, the strawberries are greening up.

I love this time of year, coming out of winter turning the soil over, getting everything prepped for a good crop.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

I looked at starting some strawberries. I moved recently and have to start all over again.
huh?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
ND Bronco Fan
Ring of Famer

And by gardening you mean growing weed right? Haha...we are having a really late spring here in north Dakota soil temps are still 32 and weather just won't break.....will.be a while for us but everything is seeded and sitting in window growing will be a while till transplant.
ND Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh?? View Post
I looked at starting some strawberries. I moved recently and have to start all over again.
I wish you the best of luck.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

I can't decide if I want to dig up some yard and plant a garden, or try one of those "garden in a box" type things from Home Depot. I'd love to plant squash and tomatoes at least.

I have however, mowed twice already, dang grass is growing here in Texas!
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Bronco Fan View Post
And by gardening you mean growing weed right? Haha...we are having a really late spring here in north Dakota soil temps are still 32 and weather just won't break.....will.be a while for us but everything is seeded and sitting in window growing will be a while till transplant.
I actually may have to look into that. I could grow some damn good weed I bet. I'm looking forward to a good year for traditional crops. Kinda funny today I heard something about dogs in Colorado are now ingesting weed at accelerated rates.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
I can't decide if I want to dig up some yard and plant a garden, or try one of those "garden in a box" type things from Home Depot. I'd love to plant squash and tomatoes at least.

I have however, mowed twice already, dang grass is growing here in Texas!
Do you have that buffalo grass in Texas? Dang stuff creeps underground and you can't get rid of the roots.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Do you have that buffalo grass in Texas? Dang stuff creeps underground and you can't get rid of the roots.
Not at this house thanks goodness! Just regular old bermuda.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
MrPeepers
Ring of Famer

Remember Darrent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TBD

I planted late February thru Today...

I'm in Phoenix.

Tomatoes, Horseradish, Strawberries, Lettuce, Arugula, Carrots, Radish, Jalapenos, Spinach, Red Potatoes, Sugar Snap Peas, Red Onions and Cucumbers.

Have a big Grape Vine trellis that's beginning to fruit and Blackberries fruiting.

In addition, herbs blowing up right now. Oregano, Thyme, Cilantro, Sage, Basil, Rosemary, Peppermint, and some Kitty Crack.
MrPeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeepers View Post
I planted late February thru Today...

I'm in Phoenix.

Tomatoes, Horseradish, Strawberries, Lettuce, Arugula, Carrots, Radish, Jalapenos, Spinach, Red Potatoes, Sugar Snap Peas, Red Onions and Cucumbers.

Have a big Grape Vine trellis that's beginning to fruit and Blackberries fruiting.

In addition, herbs blowing up right now. Oregano, Thyme, Cilantro, Sage, Basil, Rosemary, Peppermint, and some Kitty Crack.
I'm jealous. What kind of grapes do you have?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
MrPeepers
Ring of Famer

Remember Darrent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TBD

Thompson seedless grapes.

my next projects are going to be a wine quality grape and hops.

Hops can be done, but the sun forces a lot of watering.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
I actually may have to look into that. I could grow some damn good weed I bet. I'm looking forward to a good year for traditional crops. Kinda funny today I heard something about dogs in Colorado are now ingesting weed at accelerated rates.
It's technically legal to grow up to 6 personal plants in Colorado now. Growing weed is super easy (it's a weed, afterall), but doing it right can be a challenge. You can get 0.5 to 1.0 pounds per plant if you do it right. Just be sure to diagnose and kill any male plants early so they don't rape and impregnate your precious females.

I own a townhouse (being a poor grad student), so I can't really garden outside, but I have started some Oregano, Thyme, and Basil seedlings in the house. We'll see how they do.
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Thompson seedless grapes.

my next projects are going to be a wine quality grape and hops.

Hops can be done, but the sun forces a lot of watering.
I have the same Thompson, and a Concord vine. That Thompson is a monster. It grows at an unbelievable rate, it will send off 50-60 shoots each year that will grow 30 ft in a season without pruning. Is yours that way?

Supposed to get down to 22F tonite, and down to 8F tomorrow night. Tough growing season here.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
MrPeepers
Ring of Famer

Remember Darrent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TBD

Quote:
I have the same Thompson, and a Concord vine. That Thompson is a monster. It grows at an unbelievable rate, it will send off 50-60 shoots each year that will grow 30 ft in a season without pruning. Is yours that way?

Supposed to get down to 22F tonite, and down to 8F tomorrow night. Tough growing season here.
year one likely grew 15 ft for the primary stem. I trimmed the hell out of it, took the healthy one and forced it to 6'. It's got little tiny grapes growing right now, wont get below 54 this week.... and its raining. So, this is the time it'll be nice, come June it will likely get blasted by the sun, and i'll be putting a 40% shade cloth over everything.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
year one likely grew 15 ft for the primary stem. I trimmed the hell out of it, took the healthy one and forced it to 6'. It's got little tiny grapes growing right now, wont get below 54 this week.... and its raining. So, this is the time it'll be nice, come June it will likely get blasted by the sun, and i'll be putting a 40% shade cloth over everything.
The Thompson is only one year old? You should get many years of productivity from it. Mine is from when the house was built in 1987. If your Thompson is like mine you can groom it the way you want to since it throws off so many shoots. Mine has a main stem about 8" in diameter, and no signs of slowing down. The main offshoots are about 3-5" in diameter, extend 15 feet along the fence, and could a lot further if I let them. Dang thing could take over the neighborhood if I let it.

Last edited by Cito Pelon; 04-08-2013 at 08:15 PM..
Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

I am actually in the coming weeks going to harvest a nice amount of crops.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote