The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #226
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBronco7 View Post
DT makes a lot more sense then CB though. Unrein is decent but Im not sure hes ready to be the 3rd DT. I can see the Broncos adding a DT in the mid-later rounds. But your right, Im be shocked if the took a DT in the first. Not so much in the second.
Those guys are looking at Bailey's performance in the playoffs, and finding a replacement. In a perfect world, the Broncos would be drafting a #1 CB now...let the guy develop for a year, then put him at LCB in 2014 (moving Champ to Safety). The Broncos have bigger fish to fry now, and always seem to be "one player away".
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #227
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

And FWIW, pricejj knocked it out of the park on Wolfe and was right. He was easily one of the best defensive rookies in the league last year and is a quality player. Damn proud he is a Bronco. I'm eating crow on that and loving it.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #228
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I think if he wants to stick at corner in the NFL his best shot to become the kind of player he was in 2011 is in a heavy zone scheme. He has the tools to obviously pick up technique and learn the trade of a press man corner, but I just don't see him panning out that way. That isn't his strength. If a team wants to utilize him right away as a cornerback, he needs to be in a defensive system where he can do what he has always done at NC State.

Considering how negative of an attitude the guy has and thinks he **** doesn't stink, I don't think he is going to be able to mentally handle it if he gets owned in man coverage in the NFL. He has a huge chip on his shoulder. Maybe that will be a good thing for him. Look at what Dre Bly did in college and has a zone corner in the NFL. He had some great years, broke some records, then he **** out of the league. Why do you think that is?

I think he can become a VERY GOOD player in the NFL. He might even be a standout, but I am adamant he needs to be in the right scheme. I just don't see him being a guy the Broncos are taking @ #28. I hope not. MUG is right. I would meltdown. We could do a lot worse though.

BTW, I found the Derek Wolfe picture I drew the other day.
I didn't know he had character issues. I just was curious your take on attributes and skill set. I didn't know you hated Wolfe like I hated Worthy!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #229
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Well, he got called out by his own coaches several times for trying to improvise too much on the field. He has had some good interviews since then clearing some of that stuff up.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fut...-david-amerson

http://www.ourlads.com/chris-steuber...david-amerson/

Etc.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #230
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
That's actually what the IAOFM article is promoting, if you bothered reading it...using Amerson to replace Mike Adams as the SS who guards TE's.

Like I said, I have considered drafting Banks to replace Mike Adams, as a big physical DB presence close to the LOS who can stick to TE's like glue...then faxgate happened.
Price I didn't read the article, again I make my own observations and opinions.. Amerson is not physical enough to play SS on base downs.. A college DB would be better at FS than SS.. Do you not know the roles of the positions? If you want a hybrid SS which I have mentioned for quiet some time, you want a player like Cooper Taylor.. Not Amerson.. Unless you use Amerson in a big nickel role he could cover a TE, but that's it.. He's not a base SS.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #231
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
We should pick up Matt Furstenburg and move him to DE.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...urg?id=2539983
!! Bahahaha! That's great! I saw the kid play too. I'm glad you picked a Maryland kid so I could get the joke!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #232
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
I'm kind of with you on this one. No reason at all why Amerson couldn't work hard to become a great press corner, all the athleticism and size is there to do so.

Requiem has certain prospects he hates each year. It's part of his charm. Last year was Derrick Wolfe, and it was the same kind of thing pre-draft. And it was absolutely glorious when we drafted him and got to experience Req's meltdown.

I hope this happens again. I like the guy a lot, and he's very knowledgable, but the meltdown was epic.

So, I guess I'm cheering for Amerson now, though I'd rather it be late in Round 2.

I would have a meltdown if we took Worthy last year.. I remember each time we were on the click before GB took him, I said "anybody but Worthy!" and Req loved him some Worthy!

I really wanted Janoris Jenkins or Hightower, and was hoping DeCastro fell one more pick!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #233
Bmore Manning

Quote:
And FWIW, pricejj knocked it out of the park on Wolfe and was right. He was easily one of the best defensive rookies in the league last year and is a quality player. Damn proud he is a Bronco. I'm eating crow on that and loving it.
So Price was like what 1 out of 5..

I liked Wolfe too, liked him better outside of the first. It's interesting I wanted Thompson and Chapman. Both are the exact type of DT we use here, where Thimpson two gaps but has some athleticism like Vickerson and Chapman is your pure NT. I figured last year given Denver's personnel and JDRs history he would use two big DTs!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #234
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Price I didn't read the article, again I make my own observations and opinions.. Amerson is not physical enough to play SS on base downs.. A college DB would be better at FS than SS.. Do you not know the roles of the positions? If you want a hybrid SS which I have mentioned for quiet some time, you want a player like Cooper Taylor.. Not Amerson.. Unless you use Amerson in a big nickel role he could cover a TE, but that's it.. He's not a base SS.
How would reading an article prevent you from forming your own thoughts?

No matter. Both Amerson and Banks are just as much (if not more) of a physical presence than Mike Adams, can cover much better, and are better ballhawks too. Trying to find a big, fast, cover-safety, who can provide run support is pretty tricky. Using a CB to do the trick is an interesting concept.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #235
Bmore Manning

Quote:

No matter. Both Amerson and Banks are just as much (if not more) of a physical presence than Mike Adams, can cover much better, and are better ballhawks too. Trying to find a big, fast, cover-safety, who can provide run support is pretty tricky. Your boy Taylor is interesting.
They are not physical enough to play SS.. They could not last in run support.. CBs will sometimes transition to FS not SS..See Jenkins and Role as well as others.. They played FS FWIW..
Old 04-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #236
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:

No matter. Both Amerson and Banks are just as much (if not more) of a physical presence than Mike Adams, can cover much better, and are better ballhawks too. Trying to find a big, fast, cover-safety, who can provide run support is pretty tricky. Using a CB to do the trick is an interesting concept.
Amerson would be an absolute waste at strong safety. It is either zone CB for him or move him to FS to where he can do what he does best and become another Ed Reed. He isn't going to get to be able to roam around if he is put in Adams position. JMHO.

If the Broncos want to look for a strong safety and not use a first or second round pick, I think a guys like Shawn Williams or Duke Williams would be great fits there in the third or fourth round if that is the route they want to go. There are some other guys there too and I think Iowa has a DB or two who could flip the switch over from CB to play there (like some have in the NFL) and I would rather see that.

I think the Broncos actually have met with quite a few safeties throughout the process. Have you found any updated resources on who they have brought in or who they might bring in? I think we are hosting Zac Dysert at QB. Another mid-round guy at that position. Almost starting to buy into what we are hearing at MHR about the Broncos gearing up to draft another QB.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #237
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I didn't know he had character issues. I just was curious your take on attributes and skill set. I didn't know you hated Wolfe like I hated Worthy!
I liked Worthy and Wolfe. Not quite sure what that means.

This was my Top 10 DT list from last pre-draft:

Quote:
I like Bartlet as the more entertaining writer at that blog, and I actually agree with Wolfe as the #3 DT prospect, but the rest of the list is a little off to me.

If we're ranking personal favorites, mine would go:

1. Fletcher Cox
2. Jerel Worthy
3. Derek Wolfe
4. Quinton Coples (as a 3)
5. Devon Still
6. Dontari Poe
7. Michael Brockers
8. Kendall Reyes
9. Brandon Thompson
10. Mike Martin
from this thread:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105096
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #238
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Amerson would be an absolute waste at strong safety. It is either zone CB for him or move him to FS to where he can do what he does best and become another Ed Reed. He isn't going to get to be able to roam around if he is put in Adams position. JMHO.

If the Broncos want to look for a strong safety and not use a first or second round pick, I think a guys like Shawn Williams or Duke Williams would be great fits there in the third or fourth round if that is the route they want to go. There are some other guys there too and I think Iowa has a DB or two who could flip the switch over from CB to play there (like some have in the NFL) and I would rather see that.

I think the Broncos actually have met with quite a few safeties throughout the process. Have you found any updated resources on who they have brought in or who they might bring in? I think we are hosting Zac Dysert at QB. Another mid-round guy at that position. Almost starting to buy into what we are hearing at MHR about the Broncos gearing up to draft another QB.
Sounds fair about Amerson, best as a roamer and a closer. A lot better in the open-field than Rahim Moore. Maybe move Rahim to SS? A high Safety is probably a luxury at this point. Oh well.

Updated draft visits: Christine Michael on Wednesday. Jamar Taylor has also visited Denver.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:35 AM   #239
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
I liked Worthy and Wolfe. Not quite sure what that means.

This was my Top 10 DT list from last pre-draft:

from this thread:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105096
That was a reply to Req.. My reply to you was a couple below that..
Old 04-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #240
Bacchus

I can't keep up with this thread. What's going on?