The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default Matt Scott, QB -- Arizona and Sean Porter, LB -- Texas A&M (Receiving Interest)

My buddy at MHR recently tossed up an article stating that Matt Scott, QB -- Arizona will be coming to Denver for a private meeting this next week and that the Broncos have interest in Aggies LB Sean Porter.

And FWIW, I've heard through numerous people involved at MHR and elsewhere that even though the Broncos selected Osweiler, they have an interest in getting another mid-to-late round QB in this draft to groom as well. Just passing along the draft news.

Thanks to the guys who said that Bell was a high interest prospect for the Broncos according to the Denver Post too. Not sure if they really know that since the draft meetings and board formulations just started this past Wednesday per Elway, but it is what it is.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Porter has some similarities to Miller, even though they didn't use him that way this year. He'd be a direct backup for Miller. I like him. If we don't get Eric Martin, Porter would be sweet. Having Miller and nobody that can play his style of game backing him up makes me so nervous for the event of injury.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Scott would be a solid addition. a Russell Wilson type, can run, pass, play from the pocket and outside of it.
the real question is how quickly can you develop him? he only started one season and he was playing in a modified version of Rich Rodriguez's offense.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I think he gives us good versatility at SAM or WILL. He just needs to play a lot stronger and use his hands better. I don't question his athleticism or ability to diagnose plays, but sometimes it just seems like he gives up after the first couple of blocks and really struggles to shed and maneuver bigger lineman. I didn't have him in my Top 100 because of that sort of effort, but if he is there in the fourth round, sure. He plays out of his mind sometimes, just would like to see more consistency.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Scott would be a solid addition. a Russell Wilson type, can run, pass, play from the pocket and outside of it.
the real question is how quickly can you develop him? he only started one season and he was playing in a modified version of Rich Rodriguez's offense.
Not sure, but a clip from NFP said this about him today:

Quote:
*One quarterback who quietly is gaining momentum and moving up the draft boards is Arizona’s Matt Scott. As one regional scout put it, “I think he is a better prospect than Nick Foles. He has all the tools, throws a beautiful ball and has a lot of upside.”
When he came in when Foles was injured a few times a few years ago, he led the Wildcats to impressive wins. He also is a competitive dude who doesn't like to sit around. Wants to take the bull by the horns. Not a lot of game tape on him, but he has sat around, had some experience and developed quite nicely this year.

This seems like the kind of guy the Broncos would like to have compete with Brock for the future. I honestly can't blame them having interest on another guy. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Elway keep looking for guys at QB as long as he is around -- plus we have Manning to mentor him too.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

do we really need more WILL help though? Woodyard and Trevathan are pretty nice depth. the issues are at MIKE and SAM.
i like Porter but he seems more likely to be a WILL or Chukwurah(when we brought him in to rush) type than a SAM.
now if the idea is to use him like Von then it makes sense to bulk him up a bit and use him in a rover type of role.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Not sure, but a clip from NFP said this about him today:

When he came in when Foles was injured a few times a few years ago, he led the Wildcats to impressive wins. He also is a competitive dude who doesn't like to sit around. Wants to take the bull by the horns. Not a lot of game tape on him, but he has sat around, had some experience and developed quite nicely this year.

This seems like the kind of guy the Broncos would like to have compete with Brock for the future. I honestly can't blame them having interest on another guy. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Elway keep looking for guys at QB as long as he is around -- plus we have Manning to mentor him too.
i'm not a big Nick Foles fan so while i understand what you mean, that isn't a ringing endorsement to me.
i watched a lot of Scott's games this season(big Rich Rod fan, even though i'm a Michigan fan first and foremost).
he reminds me of Russell Wilson, he just worries me in terms of when will it click for him and he will fully develop into a starter.

me personally i think it will take him 2-3 years sitting before he'd be ready.
he's probably gonna need to bulk up a bit. the kid is fearless but he at times takes unnecessary shots to lead his team. that caused him to suffer some injuries that could have cost his team, including one game where he had a concussion and remained in the game. he was cleared by the doctors on the field but he looked out of it.

i greatly dislike when teams have a great player at one position and don't continue to fortify the position. i'm not saying if you have Aaron Rodgers,Peyton Manning or Drew Brees that you need to draft a QB in the first round. but continuing to bypass a QB and take a flier on a guy in the 6th round & later is foolish.
you want a guy who can step in just in case.

Last edited by Lestat; 04-05-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Old 04-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I've also read that Scott is flying up draft boards after his pro day workout. He's not going unoticed. As for Sean Porter, sounds like he's right up Elway's alley, that is, a late round LBer who is a bit on the smallish side.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
do we really need more WILL help though? Woodyard and Trevathan are pretty nice depth. the issues are at MIKE and SAM.
i like Porter but he seems more likely to be a WILL or Chukwurah(when we brought him in to rush) type than a SAM.
now if the idea is to use him like Von then it makes sense to bulk him up a bit and use him in a rover type of role.
The thing about Porter is he has the versatility and ability to play WILL or SAM for us -- and very effectively. He's a poor man's Von in terms of that ability and can certainly get after the pass rusher. I trust that if the Broncos are interested (with JDR and Fox at the helm -- who have gotten some good LBers) they would know what to do with them. I try not to get caught up in limiting guys to certain positions, but I think Porter is a kind of guy who fits this defense VERY WELL and can do a lot for us. It never hurts to have protection and depth -- and I do believe he can be a quality NFL starter.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
The thing about Porter is he has the versatility and ability to play WILL or SAM for us -- and very effectively. He's a poor man's Von in terms of that ability and can certainly get after the pass rusher. I trust that if the Broncos are interested (with JDR and Fox at the helm -- who have gotten some good LBers) they would know what to do with them. I try not to get caught up in limiting guys to certain positions, but I think Porter is a kind of guy who fits this defense VERY WELL and can do a lot for us. It never hurts to have protection and depth -- and I do believe he can be a quality NFL starter.
not saying i disagree but seeing 3 really good WLB's on the roster and no MLB to speak of last season kinda chapped my hide where i want to see certain positions fortified before others.

of course, being an Avs fan has cause me to think this way too considering they won't fix the ****ing defense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I've also read that Scott is flying up draft boards after his pro day workout. He's not going unoticed. As for Sean Porter, sounds like he's right up Elway's alley, that is, a late round LBer who is a bit on the smallish side.
i've heard some people feel he could rise up to the late 2nd to early 3rd.
in which case we do not need to be taking a QB unless a guy like Glennon or Bray fell that far.

personally i want Bray or Glennon anyways to compete but i'm cool with it if we don't get a guy before the 4th.

Last edited by Lestat; 04-05-2013 at 03:53 PM..
Old 04-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
My buddy at MHR recently tossed up an article stating that Matt Scott, QB -- Arizona will be coming to Denver for a private meeting this next week and that the Broncos have interest in Aggies LB Sean Porter.

And FWIW, I've heard through numerous people involved at MHR and elsewhere that even though the Broncos selected Osweiler, they have an interest in getting another mid-to-late round QB in this draft to groom as well. Just passing along the draft news.

Thanks to the guys who said that Bell was a high interest prospect for the Broncos according to the Denver Post too. Not sure if they really know that since the draft meetings and board formulations just started this past Wednesday per Elway, but it is what it is.
i like that they aren't just done after the selection of Oz last season. bring in another QB with ability, let him learn and when Peyton leaves, may the best man win and the other get flipped for picks or be our new Kubiak
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Porter, Sean Texas A&M 6012 229 4.78 40
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: