The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default Beware, The Mock of March.

Shameless plug on my first article at MHR.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

My biggest complaint is the value on Carradine and Bell. If Carradine can't work out pre-draft I don't think he will be a 1st round guy and could probably be had in the top of the 2nd round. Bell doesn't look at all like good value in the 2nd, put him in the 3rd and get a DT in the 2nd and things look much better value wise.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Bmore Manning

I should have known that was you when I read it earlier. I read the Michael Bush comparison and thought I have only heard that from one person! I would be very content with that draft minus taking a kicker in the seventh and I don't think we need a NT right now.. Especially with Knighton and Vickerson. There's still Unrein, Silga, and other tweeners/Wolfe who can play inside.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Drafting Bell to me is like going to the car lot to buy a new car only to walk out of there with a high mileage European super car because it reminded you of that one movie you watched as a kid.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Drafting Bell to me is like going to the car lot to buy a new car only to walk out of there with a high mileage European super car because it reminded you of that one movie you watched as a kid.
And what back do you like?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
My biggest complaint is the value on Carradine and Bell. If Carradine can't work out pre-draft I don't think he will be a 1st round guy and could probably be had in the top of the 2nd round. Bell doesn't look at all like good value in the 2nd, put him in the 3rd and get a DT in the 2nd and things look much better value wise.
Bell is the best back in this draft. He has experience in a pro style offense, has been a solid contributor for a few seasons and is a perfect fit for Denver. Also Denver needs a guy like him. as deep as this draft is in DL talent i think it would be smart to get the best back in the draft and comparable DL talent later in the draft.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
And what back do you like?
Pretty sure I've been clear that I want Lacy.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Pretty sure I've been clear that I want Lacy.
Not a fan of taking Lacy in the first round. I don't think he's as good as Ingram and Richardson..
Old 03-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I think a lot of people are underestimating Bell's value. I think he is right in mix as a 2(B) - 3 (B) value (selections 50 - 75). There are already several teams (including Pittsburgh) who have worked him out privately. I forget the others, but they were AHEAD of us as far as draft position. With the Giants releashing Bradshaw, I believe it is a distinct possibility for them as well. The Packers and the Bengals will all be looking for runners as well.

I don't think Bell makes it to #90. But of course, I could switch the value and give us a higher rated DB and another back in the third, but I am not sure I like my power options at that position.

I went with positions Denver needs and obviously areas they wanted or need to target given how free agency played out. This is also fluid and very likely to change as the weeks roll by. I am waiting for PFW to release their draft board based on what they see from scouts and teams and will be doing slot placement revamping when that happens.

As always, thanks for reading. I do appreciate it. BT merged into MHR and I'm very pleased with the opportunity to be asked to write there. Hopefully it leads to bigger and better things for me at some point in time. I'm trying to focus on original content than re-tweets/re-blurts of news already reported elsewhere.

If anyone has ideas of articles or things they would like to see me address, send me a PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Not a fan of taking Lacy in the first round. I don't think he's as good as Ingram and Richardson..
Not as good as Ingram? You are nuts. I don't think Richardson and Lacy are the same type of back. Richardson runs with more power then Lacy, but Lacy runs with more speed. Richardson might be the better back, but he was drafted 3rd overall for a reason. We are talking about a RB taken 28th or after man. As for Ingram I'm willing to bet Lacy will out rush Ingram's career totals in his first year in the NFL.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

I approve of all draft picks at least the positions, but at least its a 7th rounder. Kickers are like cats. Your wife won't let you kill them, therefore you have to have them regardless of your hatred.

Frankly, I'm concerned with Tank Carradine. He was owned by the Florida LT and even TE on stretch running plays all game.

Last edited by Rascal; 03-26-2013 at 07:26 PM..
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Hopkins was the obligatory Nole pick and because I honestly wasn't sure who else to put there at that time. I wasn't going to name some random guy I've never watched. I will only write about players I have personally seen and cannot EVER give an opinion if it is less than 3-4 games. That's why I'm thankful DraftBreakdown is now around. They have been a great help the past two years.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Not as good as Ingram? You are nuts. I don't think Richardson and Lacy are the same type of back. Richardson runs with more power then Lacy, but Lacy runs with more speed. Richardson might be the better back, but he was drafted 3rd overall for a reason. We are talking about a RB taken 28th or after man. As for Ingram I'm willing to bet Lacy will out rush Ingram's career totals in his first year in the NFL.
Thats circumstantial to the team and system that Lacey ends up. Ingram is in a platoon back field on a throw first offense. Lacy may get stuck in a similar situation, or he may end up somewhere and given more opportunities.

On just skill I prefer Richardson, Ingram, Lacy in that order. Both were much more complete coming out than Lacy. Lacy cannot pass protect well and doesn't have great hands out of the backfield. Lacy would be a good complimentary RB to Hillman, but given his limitations, I don't value him in the first round..
Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Thats circumstantial to the team and system that Lacey ends up. Ingram is in a platoon back field on a throw first offense. Lacy may get stuck in a similar situation, or he may end up somewhere and given more opportunities.

On just skill I prefer Richardson, Ingram, Lacy in that order. Both were much more complete coming out than Lacy. Lacy cannot pass protect well and doesn't have great hands out of the backfield. Lacy would be a good complimentary RB to Hillman, but given his limitations, I don't value him in the first round..
Dude ask any Saints fan and they will tell you Ingram can't catch or block. So I don't know how you can say he is more complete then Lacy coming out of college. The fact that Ingram has 23 targets in the last two seasons on a team that has thrown the ball 1,333 times during that span should tell you all you need to know right there.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #15
goldengopher1976
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

FWIW, and this is nitpicking to be sure, there we a few grammatical/style errors that detracted, but otherwise a nice article. Well done and good luck in the future with others.
goldengopher1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:02 AM   #16
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Dude ask any Saints fan and they will tell you Ingram can't catch or block. So I don't know how you can say he is more complete then Lacy coming out of college. The fact that Ingram has 23 targets in the last two seasons on a team that has thrown the ball 1,333 times during that span should tell you all you need to know right there.
I don't need to ask any Saints fan. I followed his college career and watch almost every if not every NFL game, especially this season. His hands are better than Lacy's and he surely pass blocks better. That's not saying he's got baby soft hands or pass protects like Brian Westbrook, but he does both better than Lacy in my opinion.

I don't normally like first round RBs unless they are complete and dominate prospects.. We are having a pissing contest about Ingram instead of focusing on this years RB prospects. And to me Lacy's incompleteness in his game takes him out of the first round in my book.

Last edited by Bmore Manning; 03-27-2013 at 04:05 AM..
Old 03-27-2013, 04:23 AM   #17
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I think a lot of people are underestimating Bell's value. I think he is right in mix as a 2(B) - 3 (B) value (selections 50 - 75). There are already several teams (including Pittsburgh) who have worked him out privately. I forget the others, but they were AHEAD of us as far as draft position. With the Giants releashing Bradshaw, I believe it is a distinct possibility for them as well. The Packers and the Bengals will all be looking for runners as well.

I don't think Bell makes it to #90. But of course, I could switch the value and give us a higher rated DB and another back in the third, but I am not sure I like my power options at that position.

I went with positions Denver needs and obviously areas they wanted or need to target given how free agency played out. This is also fluid and very likely to change as the weeks roll by. I am waiting for PFW to release their draft board based on what they see from scouts and teams and will be doing slot placement revamping when that happens.

As always, thanks for reading. I do appreciate it. BT merged into MHR and I'm very pleased with the opportunity to be asked to write there. Hopefully it leads to bigger and better things for me at some point in time. I'm trying to focus on original content than re-tweets/re-blurts of news already reported elsewhere.

If anyone has ideas of articles or things they would like to see me address, send me a PM.

Good to see you writing. I thought you did a great job. I'll give you some critiques.

One of the best things about you is that you kind of have a zany personality. It does not show up in the writing, it's too wooden. Too many people write like that. I love how creative and off-the-wall Woody Paige writes. The one guy, Ted, from IAOFM writes like a conceited prick, but I enjoy that he puts his personality out there, and I enjoy even more all the comments from posters that react to his trolling. I'd like to see more personality. You can't force it too much, but there's a nice balance to seek out. I think your sweet spot is closer to Paige than Ted. If you don't find it, you just kind of blend in to the monotone wall of factual text found everywhere.

As for format, I feel like you needed a tad more spacing between the selections.

The draft itself is pretty well thought out, and the analysis is quality, if a little wooden. I do understand you were going for a serious, intellectual tone here. I just don't find that overly fun to read.

I'm not entirely sure what MHR is, I haven't spent time there, ever, but I'd like to keep track of your articles. Is there an easy way to do so?
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #18
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

On the Ingram v. Lacy debate going on here:

Alabama RBs:

Glen Coffee - 233A, 1383Y, 5.9YPC, 10TD, 16R, 118Y.
Mark Ingram - 143A, 728Y, 5.09YPC, 12TD, 7R, 54Y.

Mark Ingram - 271A, 1658Y, 6.1YPC, 17TD, 32R, 334Y.
Trent Richardson - 144A, 749Y, 5.2YPC, 8TD, 16R, 126Y.

Mark Ingram - 158A, 875Y, 5.5YPC, 13TD, 21R, 282Y.
Trent Richardson - 112A, 700Y, 6.2YPC, 6TD, 23R, 266Y.
Eddie Lacy - 56A, 406Y, 7.2YPC, 6TD, 2R, 18Y.

Trent Richardson - 283A, 1679Y, 5.9YPC, 21TD, 29R, 338Y.
Eddie Lacy - 95A, 674Y, 7.1YPC, 7TD, 11R, 131Y.

Eddie Lacy - 204A, 1322Y, 6.5YPC, 17TD, 22R, 189Y.
TJ Yeldon - 175A, 1108Y, 6.3YPC, 12TD, 11R, 131Y.

Lacy outperformed Richardson and Ingram when he was given a chance in the same seasons. He was the most productive RB on a per play basis in Alabama history. He's also much more physically gifted than Ingram or Richardson. He's bigger and much faster. Lacy runs in the low 4.4s. The other guys are in the mid-high 4.5s. If Lacy runs a 4.38-4.45 at his workout, he's going in the top half of the draft. He's a far better prospect than Richardson or Ingram. I think that's fact. Too bad for him none of the top drafting teams have a massive need for a RB until Pittsburgh, whom will likely draft him.

Also, Mark Ingram can catch short passes just fine. Saints just don't use him in that role. Eddie Lacy is a very good blocker, not sure where that came from. There's tape out there of him blowing people up consistently.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #19
Elway 4 Life
Pass rushers apply here!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
On the Ingram v. Lacy debate going on here:

Alabama RBs:

Glen Coffee - 233A, 1383Y, 5.9YPC, 10TD, 16R, 118Y.
Mark Ingram - 143A, 728Y, 5.09YPC, 12TD, 7R, 54Y.

Mark Ingram - 271A, 1658Y, 6.1YPC, 17TD, 32R, 334Y.
Trent Richardson - 144A, 749Y, 5.2YPC, 8TD, 16R, 126Y.

Mark Ingram - 158A, 875Y, 5.5YPC, 13TD, 21R, 282Y.
Trent Richardson - 112A, 700Y, 6.2YPC, 6TD, 23R, 266Y.
Eddie Lacy - 56A, 406Y, 7.2YPC, 6TD, 2R, 18Y.

Trent Richardson - 283A, 1679Y, 5.9YPC, 21TD, 29R, 338Y.
Eddie Lacy - 95A, 674Y, 7.1YPC, 7TD, 11R, 131Y.

Eddie Lacy - 204A, 1322Y, 6.5YPC, 17TD, 22R, 189Y.
TJ Yeldon - 175A, 1108Y, 6.3YPC, 12TD, 11R, 131Y.

Lacy outperformed Richardson and Ingram when he was given a chance in the same seasons. He was the most productive RB on a per play basis in Alabama history. He's also much more physically gifted than Ingram or Richardson. He's bigger and much faster. Lacy runs in the low 4.4s. The other guys are in the mid-high 4.5s. If Lacy runs a 4.38-4.45 at his workout, he's going in the top half of the draft. He's a far better prospect than Richardson or Ingram. I think that's fact. Too bad for him none of the top drafting teams have a massive need for a RB until Pittsburgh, whom will likely draft him.

Also, Mark Ingram can catch short passes just fine. Saints just don't use him in that role. Eddie Lacy is a very good blocker, not sure where that came from. There's tape out there of him blowing people up consistently.
Great post. I think Yeldon may turn out to be better than all 3 of them. Excited to see him as the featured guy next year.
Elway 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #20
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Good to see you writing. I thought you did a great job. I'll give you some critiques.

One of the best things about you is that you kind of have a zany personality. It does not show up in the writing, it's too wooden. Too many people write like that. I love how creative and off-the-wall Woody Paige writes. The one guy, Ted, from IAOFM writes like a conceited prick, but I enjoy that he puts his personality out there, and I enjoy even more all the comments from posters that react to his trolling. I'd like to see more personality. You can't force it too much, but there's a nice balance to seek out. I think your sweet spot is closer to Paige than Ted. If you don't find it, you just kind of blend in to the monotone wall of factual text found everywhere.

As for format, I feel like you needed a tad more spacing between the selections.

The draft itself is pretty well thought out, and the analysis is quality, if a little wooden. I do understand you were going for a serious, intellectual tone here. I just don't find that overly fun to read.

I'm not entirely sure what MHR is, I haven't spent time there, ever, but I'd like to keep track of your articles. Is there an easy way to do so?
First of all, thanks a lot! This is the type of criticism I like to see. It makes me happy that a few of you have reached out to me via this or PM to let me know what's up. It does mean a lot.

After reading my stuff over, it was too wooden. I didn't want to have my zany personality (which made me , but I agree) come through on my first article from them. I could have went loony with some stuff, but I figured I'd let my red carpet introduction be a little more sane.

I used to be over at BT, but then took a hiatus when I moved, had health problems and had three people in my family die, but now I'm back together again and started to write. Thanks for the suggestions. I've been fiddling around with a few more tentative articles. I don't want them to come off as over-factual and dry, but I guess with a mock draft it is maybe hard not to? I definitely see what you are saying and I'm glad you brought it up.

On the formatting: I'm new to the interface that is used at MHR and for the life of me I couldn't find how to edit some of the spacing or colors of text. I might have to do a little bit more digging, but regardless if I was on my Mac or PC and different browsers, nothing showed up to let me change that. The format was the thing that concerned me the most. SBNation pretty much has the same format for all their NFL blogs so I'm not sure I will be able to do much, but if I fiddle with the HTML (I was at work when I uploaded the draft) I'm sure I can make some adjustments.

I think there is a way where I can link you to my MHR profile that will have a feed of all the articles I right, you might be able to subscribe to that feed and get an e-mail update or something on when I do updates. I'm still going through all the motions on it and tutorials because it is a lot more complex than the WordPress engine we had at BroncoTalk. With my work schedule, I'm aiming for TUE, THUR, SAT AND SUN posts -- perhaps something shorter on Friday's.

I'll shoot you off a PM with some more details when they become available. It's sort of an adjustment period for Kyle, myself and other BT faithful that crossed over. There was a pretty big exodus of former MHR reporters after the switch was made so we are kind of playing things by ear. MHR already has a huge community of support and a great interface for discussion. I think that is what puts it above IAOFM (the community aspect) -- I can only hope that us writers can come together and come up with the quality of articles Ted and his crew push out. Regardless of what people think of their personalities, they do a tremendous job on the analysis they bring there and it's nice to see a blog like that in the Broncos community.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #21
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Great write up. Nice work Req.
And i agree with Mug. In time, let more of your personality, show through
in your work. You have it, and we know it, so let it shine man!
Love the draft too! Love it! Could do without the K in the 7th, but i get
the idea.
Love Carradine, Bell, Swearinger, and then still be able to get a
really solid prospect at ILB with Reddick in the 4th.
Great job. Keep posting your stuff.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #22
Bmore Manning

@Mug, Lacy is the better prospect? No. He is not as complete a RB as the other two. And for you, who's opinion I respect tremendously to say he made better of his opportunities, and not dive deeper into why that may be is a very basic approach.

Compare the OLines over the years for starters, and when Lacy was given opportunity was after the others had battered down the opposing defense until he took over as the starter.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #23
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
@Mug, Lacy is the better prospect? No. He is not as complete a RB as the other two. And for you, who's opinion I respect tremendously to say he made better of his opportunities, and not dive deeper into why that may be is a very basic approach.

Compare the OLines over the years for starters, and when Lacy was given opportunity was after the others had battered down the opposing defense until he took over as the starter.

It's normal not to agree all the time. I *really* like Eddie Lacy. I think he's superior to both Richardson and Ingram. I believe if they all came out in the same draft, Lacy would go first. Of course, a lot of that is believing he runs a 4.4. I already know I love his burst, his agility, his toughness, and his overall game. And I get a kick out of him the person as well.

I honestly don't see any flaws in Lacy. He's a dream RB prospect for me.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #24
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I am on the Lacy train as welll.

His YPC is rediculous, even when he had to share carries with those other ALA studs.

Good job Req! I still have a hard time with Tank...not real sure why, you know more about him than I but not "feeling" him as Bronco...
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #25
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
It's normal not to agree all the time. I *really* like Eddie Lacy. I think he's superior to both Richardson and Ingram. I believe if they all came out in the same draft, Lacy would go first. Of course, a lot of that is believing he runs a 4.4. I already know I love his burst, his agility, his toughness, and his overall game. And I get a kick out of him the person as well.

I honestly don't see any flaws in Lacy. He's a dream RB prospect for me.
I think Ingram was overrated as a prospect, he does not run with authority and of the 3 he definitely looked the most like a guy who benefited from a mauling offensive line. He can catch the little dump passes but New Orleans was trying to replace Reggie Bush who ran routes and caught the ball 5-10 yards down field pretty regularly which is not Ingrams game. Richardson looks the most like a bellcow of the 3, someone you give the ball to 30 times in a game and expect 100 yards and a score. Richardson looks like a guy who can do most things but doesn't truly excel at anything, he doesn't have the speed of Adrian Peterson or elusiveness of a Ray Rice or the explosive quickness of Jones-Drew.

Lacy looks more like a 15-20 carry type of back, he is fast and powerful. He is not sudden in changing direction and doesn't cut tightly, he relies a ton of the stutter step which is great against DBs and when your offensive line has created space but is a real liability when you have to create your own yards against linebackers and defensive linemen in tight quarters. I like his body type and his size and speed combination but I worry about his tendency to stutter step especially in the backfield, he could be a Laurence Maroney type runner who never hits the gap in stride, always stops before the line and checks if there is traffic and then tries to get moving again. If he pans out he is going to be a Steven Jackson type runner with power and speed.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: