The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #51
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
So you said 9% but you research came out 11% and you try rubbing in the fact that you were right. Huh.
I said 90% of the world doesn't have an automobile. The Earth's population is over 7 billion people, so I used that number as a flat estimate. One study showed less than 10% for having -- the other a percentage above. So yeah, I'd say my statement is more or less right. If you are going to quibble over a percentage point, be my guest.

Continue to think that the automobile was the most important invention, though a majority of the world doesn't even use them. Sounds like you got things figured out. .
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #52
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

In all fairness to the OP.....the question was what was the "biggest invention"?

I answered in terms of a "technological feat"......and my answer was plane. We get multi-ton behemoths to fly.

Now, if your answer is along the lines of IMPORTANCE (to the economy, for example).....well, then I agree with the train.

Bottom line.......it depends on HOW you answer his question.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #53
jerseyboiler120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
You go ahead and still think that cars were the most important. You are wrong.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_perce...tion_own_a_car

http://www.econ.nyu.edu/dept/courses...rship_2007.pdf

Go to page 5 on the PDF. Check the numbers out.

812 million people / 7 billion on earth.

11% if you go by that number. (Who have)

The other article did different calculations and came up with a different number.

I know it is hard for you to think outside yourselves and America, but I suggest you try harder. You and the rest of the world will be better off for it.

So yeah, I'm pretty much right. Lololol.

DUH.
As iF.

HollyWooood!

Please tell me you're not using wiki as a "credible source" for facts.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #54
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Personally I feel that the motorboat is best of all

BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #55
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboiler120 View Post
Please tell me you're not using wiki as a "credible source" for facts.
Is the NYU School of Economics and the PDF they published on the matter not a good enough source? Get a life.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #56
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
what was the Bigger invention ?

Train

Plane

or

car.

Little board and arguing with the wife. Help a fella out.
define "bigger". All three, very important and had major impact on the world, especially in the free markets. But you can't really say one has had a bigger overall effect on today's world than the other, it's too complicated to boil it down to one argument.

The train had a huge effect on the growth of the west post industrialization. The train's past effect on economic growth, urbanization and prosperity is much greater than it is today, although today it's still very effective for transporting goods across terra.

The car has profoundly affected the economic growth of western society, especially in 'merica. It can be argued that it helped build the entire middle class in American into the economic force that it now is. The car really changed the American dynamic.

The plane is huge too. It has allowed the mass transportation of people over the entire planet. What used to take days or weeks now takes hours when traveling. This is huge. The plane shrunk the world.

All different, all extremely profound in their overall affect on modern society.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #57
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Personally I feel that the motorboat is best of all

Motor boats are but a complete waste of money. Man are they fun to play on.
Quoydogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #58
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
define "bigger". All three, very important and had major impact on the world, especially in the free markets. But you can't really say one has had a bigger overall effect on today's world than the other, it's too complicated to boil it down to one argument.

The train had a huge effect on the growth of the west post industrialization. The train's past effect on economic growth, urbanization and prosperity is much greater than it is today, although today it's still very effective for transporting goods across terra.

The car has profoundly affected the economic growth of western society, especially in 'merica. It can be argued that it helped build the entire middle class in American into the economic force that it now is. The car really changed the American dynamic.

The plane is huge too. It has allowed the mass transportation of people over the entire planet. What used to take days or weeks now takes hours when traveling. This is huge. The plane shrunk the world.

All different, all extremely profound in their overall affect on modern society.
Maybe I should replace bigger with impact on then.

If you erased one of these from history which would have effected us the most.
Quoydogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #59
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
You go ahead and still think that cars were the most important. You are wrong.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_perce...tion_own_a_car

http://www.econ.nyu.edu/dept/courses...rship_2007.pdf

Go to page 5 on the PDF. Check the numbers out.

812 million people / 7 billion on earth.

11% if you go by that number. (Who have)

The other article did different calculations and came up with a different number.

I know it is hard for you to think outside yourselves and America, but I suggest you try harder. You and the rest of the world will be better off for it.

So yeah, I'm pretty much right. Lololol.

DUH.
As iF.

HollyWooood!
Where's the stat of people who have no car but their countries economy and basic way of life is dependent on selling oil? Pretty sure your population percentage includes children.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 03-22-2013 at 03:52 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #60
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I'd think you would have to go with trains as far as biggest impact. 6,000 years of human history before that the fastest thing we came up with was horse riding.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #61
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Where's the stat of people who have no car but their countries economy and basic way of life is dependent on selling oil? Pretty sure your population percentage includes children.
Well the OPEC member states currently have 370 million citizens, so that is about 5% of the worlds population.....
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #62
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

One could add ships to the argument as well if people want to go back.

Imagine humanity without ever having ships.

UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #63
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Honestly is there a correct answer, maybe not. Each of those things were and still are important in their own unique way. It's like asking what is more import, plastic or metal. Well both have super important roles in todays world.

But if you held a gun to my head and forced me to give you an answer I would say the Plane. Simply because the other 2 things needs tracks or roads in which to travel, that limits where they can go. A plan can virtually go anywhere it wants to. It doesn't need a road or a set of tracks. It's also the most versatile of the 3. It can be used for wars, you just load up bombs, rockets and bullets. Obviously it can be used for goods and human transportation. Cars and all of their cousins (trucks, etc), trains and all of their cousins (light rail, trolly, metro, subway, etc) also ship goods and transport people. But cars along with planes can be used in wars while trains really are not. They can ship goods and that's it. You don't arm them and attack with them.

So the PLANE wins. There you go.
I freaking love planes and rockets and **** but if you wanted to move tonage of coal, steel, products like cars, or even hundreds of people from one point to another efficiently and cost effectively what of the 3 are you going to use?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #64
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

The train was more important in making the American Republic expand and prosper. The plane is more important to the American Empire conquering the entire planet and outer space.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #65
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Maybe I should replace bigger with impact on then.

If you erased one of these from history which would have effected us the most.
they all rely on the internal combustion engine, as did and do boats. They just are variants of this form of engine. They also all rely on steel and the industrial revolution. Without steel, no trains or tracks, no cars and no modern airplanes.

Meh, if you put a gun to my head I'd say the most important of the 3 is the car as it's accessed by the most people the most amount of time. China is just now going heavy into the car and you have to ask why. Well, it's because of the growing middle class in China needing to be more mobile. A good barometer of how modern a society is can be the car, I'm not saying it's the end all be all, but a way to chart the progress of the society.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote