The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #26
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
That is the biggest load of crap. The entire world was dominated by Europeans without the use of cars - but that wouldn't have happened without the train. Look at how the Romans, Mongols and Macedonian empires crumbled because they couldn't transport people and materials in mass over large distances - on the other hand you have the British empire which dwarfed those 3 even if you added them together and it was all built on the back of being able to move men and material via ship and railroad.

The car is an upgrade over the horse, but the car changed nothing.

All of these cities reached at least 1 million citizens before the car was invented:

1. Rome(Italy)-133 B.C.
2. Alexandria(Egypt)-30 B.C.
3. Angkor(Cambodia)-900
4. Hangzhou(China)-1200
5. London(UK)-1810
6. Paris(France)-1850
7. Beijing(China)-1855
8. Guangzhou(China)-1860
9. Berlin(Germany)-1870
10. Manhattan-1874

The car had nothing to do with urbanization.

Missing the point. I'm saying take cars out of the picture TODAY. Life as you know it TODAY would cease to exist. It would be barbaric. It would be chaos for anyone who life is dependent on a car. I don't have to see the value of oil to see that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #27
crush17
orange & blue
 
crush17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,424

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!
Default

Lmfao this freakin guy... Wow.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I love how I'm getting bashed for my opinion.

Typical mane.
Your opinion is naive and short-sighted.

Plenty of modern countries do extremely well and that is without having the # of cars we do.

Of course, when you have a country who feels obligated to bail out the auto industry (who has played a huge role in politics since it's inception) **** is going to hit the fan if something ever stopped.

We are a highly individualistic, me first society. I'm sure most people would but up **** creek without a paddle absent a vehicle, but there are plenty of us who wouldn't be. Myself included. I do just fine without one and always have. If I wanted to go out and buy myself a car today, I could. With the price of gas, insurance, etc. Waste of cash. $40 a month public transit or riding bike or walking does just fine.

And BTW, I don't live in a huge city.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #29
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

How much money does this country make off a car? Someone mentioned public transportation. Who pays for that and how? How much is registration and license fees for one car xs millions? Gas taxes? This country is dependent on that money just as much a person is to a car.


People blasting me yet they drove to work.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #30
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Missing the point. I'm saying take cars out of the picture TODAY. Life as you know it TODAY would cease to exist. It would be barbaric. It would be chaos for anyone who life is dependent on a car. I don't have to see the value of oil to see that.
The choice to shackle ones life with an automobile is their own fault. 90% of the world does fine without cars. Looks like you got rolled.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #31
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Planes allows for a truly global society and have completely altered how wars are fought. They are also the greatest engineering feat humans have ever produced outside of space travel. All three are huge though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #32
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,691

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Missing the point. I'm saying take cars out of the picture TODAY. Life as you know it TODAY would cease to exist. It would be barbaric. It would be chaos for anyone who life is dependent on a car. I don't have to see the value of oil to see that.
Your right life today would be totally different, we would all be fit and healthy because we would be riding bikes or outside taking care of beasts of burden.

Instead the country is fat because we can hop in a car and get a big gulp and something fried from a drive through rather than cook a meal at home and fellowship as a family. We are lazy because we don't have to walk anywhere to meet public transportation and we are dumb because we sit in endless traffic jams.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #33
jerseyboiler120
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Clearly it's the train. Without train, the ability to make cars and planes would never have developed.

It's like asking which is better, 1920s pornographic pictures or modern porn video. Obviously modern porn video is better (especially with all the Latinas), but these would not exist we're it not for the old simple pictures.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #34
Play2win
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,630

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke
Default

Printing Press.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #35
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Your right life today would be totally different, we would all be fit and healthy because we would be riding bikes or outside taking care of beasts of burden.

Instead the country is fat because we can hop in a car and get a big gulp and something fried from a drive through rather than cook a meal at home and fellowship as a family. We are lazy because we don't have to walk anywhere to meet public transportation and we are dumb because we sit in endless traffic jams.
The average commute out here is 25-45 mins. Hardly walking distance
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #36
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,691

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
How much money does this country make off a car? Someone mentioned public transportation. Who pays for that and how? How much is registration and license fees for one car xs millions? Gas taxes? This country is dependent on that money just as much a person is to a car.


People blasting me yet they drove to work.
I didn't drive anywhere today. I work the few hours I can from home.

I am blasting you because you can't see behind the curtain at what truly drives our economy.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #37
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quoydogs kudos for bringing this thread to life.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #38
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I didn't drive anywhere today. I work the few hours I can from home.

I am blasting you because you can't see behind the curtain at what truly drives our economy.
That is neither trains or cars. That's money. And alot of it is generated/made off the auto.

Out here in Cali the govt is crying because not enough money is being brought in by gas taxes. Their claim is more fuel efficient cars on the roads. Therefore they aren't getting money for maintence/revenue. So the taxes on gas are being raised in June.

Money is everything. And the car essential in this country surviving. Would be hilarious seeing people in today's America living in the past. Wouldn't survive.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 03-22-2013 at 12:03 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #39
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Cars is the wrong answer. Over the line. This is how I feel about this conversation right now.

Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #40
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 35,691

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
The average commute out here is 25-45 mins. Hardly walking distance
I live in the suburburbs of Chicago. it is about 7 minutes to drive to the train station down town. I usually take the train when I go downtown as the commute down there is usually 50-80 minutes. At my last job it took me 35 minutes to get to. The job before that I lived 35 miles away but thanks to being close to highways and tollways I could do it in 45 minutes.

I am saying without cars we would be living closer to other options all the car did was spread us out over greater distances. Funny thing is I bet 90% of us live in subdivisions and have access to some sort of bus and rail system for transportation, even in the age of the 2 car garage.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #41
jerseyboiler120
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

This could turn political real fast. The car could easily be considered a huge drain on our economy due to the whole union establishment which bankrupted the American auto-makers and opening up the opportunity for the messiah nobama to extort bazillions of dollars to keep them all in business so he could earn continued union worker votes. We'll all be paying taxes for that until the day we die.

The train earned its keep way back before liberalism aka communism ruined the USA.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #42
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unsettled, NC
Posts: 7,744

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward
Default

I think the Zeppelins are due for a comeback, the airplane is overrated!
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #43
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I live in the suburburbs of Chicago. it is about 7 minutes to drive to the train station down town. I usually take the train when I go downtown as the commute down there is usually 50-80 minutes. At my last job it took me 35 minutes to get to. The job before that I lived 35 miles away but thanks to being close to highways and tollways I could do it in 45 minutes.

I am saying without cars we would be living closer to other options all the car did was spread us out over greater distances. Funny thing is I bet 90% of us live in subdivisions and have access to some sort of bus and rail system for transportation, even in the age of the 2 car garage.

No subways trains where I am. There's a bus option but that falls in the car catagory.


Gotta run. Good talkin with ya Steven.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #44
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,263

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Honestly is there a correct answer, maybe not. Each of those things were and still are important in their own unique way. It's like asking what is more import, plastic or metal. Well both have super important roles in todays world.

But if you held a gun to my head and forced me to give you an answer I would say the Plane. Simply because the other 2 things needs tracks or roads in which to travel, that limits where they can go. A plan can virtually go anywhere it wants to. It doesn't need a road or a set of tracks. It's also the most versatile of the 3. It can be used for wars, you just load up bombs, rockets and bullets. Obviously it can be used for goods and human transportation. Cars and all of their cousins (trucks, etc), trains and all of their cousins (light rail, trolly, metro, subway, etc) also ship goods and transport people. But cars along with planes can be used in wars while trains really are not. They can ship goods and that's it. You don't arm them and attack with them.

So the PLANE wins. There you go.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #45
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unsettled, NC
Posts: 7,744

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Honestly is there a correct answer, maybe not. Each of those things were and still are important in their own unique way. It's like asking what is more import, plastic or metal. Well both have super important roles in todays world.

But if you held a gun to my head and forced me to give you an answer I would say the Plane. Simply because the other 2 things needs tracks or roads in which to travel, that limits where they can go. A plan can virtually go anywhere it wants to. It doesn't need a road or a set of tracks. It's also the most versatile of the 3. It can be used for wars, you just load up bombs, rockets and bullets. Obviously it can be used for goods and human transportation. Cars and all of their cousins (trucks, etc), trains and all of their cousins (light rail, trolly, metro, subway, etc) also ship goods and transport people. But cars along with planes can be used in wars while trains really are not. They can ship goods and that's it. You don't arm them and attack with them.

So the PLANE wins. There you go.
Unless you want to take off or land?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #46
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Lol. Try telling troops in the Civil War that trains didn't matter. Lmfao. Or the Germans. LmfAo.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #47
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,816

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
The choice to shackle ones life with an automobile is their own fault. 90% of the world does fine without cars. Looks like you got rolled.
Calling BS on this. 90 % ? Show me the link.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #48
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,852

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
Calling BS on this. 90 % ? Show me the link.
You go ahead and still think that cars were the most important. You are wrong.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_perce...tion_own_a_car

http://www.econ.nyu.edu/dept/courses...rship_2007.pdf

Go to page 5 on the PDF. Check the numbers out.

812 million people / 7 billion on earth.

11% if you go by that number. (Who have)

The other article did different calculations and came up with a different number.

I know it is hard for you to think outside yourselves and America, but I suggest you try harder. You and the rest of the world will be better off for it.

So yeah, I'm pretty much right. Lololol.

DUH.
As iF.

HollyWooood!

Last edited by Requiem; 03-22-2013 at 12:40 PM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #49
jerseyboiler120
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Honestly is there a correct answer, maybe not. Each of those things were and still are important in their own unique way. It's like asking what is more import, plastic or metal. Well both have super important roles in todays world.

But if you held a gun to my head and forced me to give you an answer I would say the Plane. Simply because the other 2 things needs tracks or roads in which to travel, that limits where they can go. A plan can virtually go anywhere it wants to. It doesn't need a road or a set of tracks. It's also the most versatile of the 3. It can be used for wars, you just load up bombs, rockets and bullets. Obviously it can be used for goods and human transportation. Cars and all of their cousins (trucks, etc), trains and all of their cousins (light rail, trolly, metro, subway, etc) also ship goods and transport people. But cars along with planes can be used in wars while trains really are not. They can ship goods and that's it. You don't arm them and attack with them.

So the PLANE wins. There you go.

Metals moved homo-sapien life ahead in leaps and bounds. Plastics merely enhance the life we have (albeit in large ways, but still not equivalent to metals aka Bronze Age).
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #50
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,816

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
You go ahead and still think that cars were the most important. You are wrong.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_perce...tion_own_a_car

http://www.econ.nyu.edu/dept/courses...rship_2007.pdf

Go to page 5 on the PDF. Check the numbers out.

812 million people / 7 billion on earth.

11% if you go by that number. (Who have)

The other article did different calculations and came up with a different number.

I know it is hard for you to think outside yourselves and America, but I suggest you try harder. You and the rest of the world will be better off for it.

So yeah, I'm pretty much right. Lololol.

DUH.
As iF.

HollyWooood!
So you said 9% but you research came out 11% and you try rubbing in the fact that you were right. Huh.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Denver Broncos