The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default OT--Bigger invention

what was the Bigger invention ?

Train

Plane

or

car.

Little board and arguing with the wife. Help a fella out.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
what was the Bigger invention ?

Train

Plane

or

car.

Little board and arguing with the wife. Help a fella out.
I would say the plane.

All 3 use wheels, which were invented LONG, LONG ago.......but the plane defies gravity. To get a multi-ton vehicle up into the sky......I belive that is the biggest FEAT.

JMO.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Train started the industrial revolution as goods could be shipped. It also helped settle the west. We still ship the majority of our goods on trains.

Planes are cool but not as earth shattering. We can do everything with trains, trucks and boats that a plane can do only slower.

Car's didn't do anything other than allow suburbs to grow along with pollution and a reliance on oil.

Hope for your sake the wife wins
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Train definitely, the only reason Europeans took over all of North America so quickly was the train, it allowed distant regions to be connected and huge quantities of goods to be moved without relying on rivers and oceans.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Drunken.Broncoholic

I would say car. A car directly affects families worldwide. It's a basic necessity for their daily routines. Not only for an individual but for economies around the world. You take a car away from someone in today's world and their lives are turned upside down. You take a train away today and people would ship by semi or plane. You take a plane away today and people drive. You take the car away and it would be mayhem.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 03-22-2013 at 11:06 AM..
Old 03-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Trains changed the entire world. Planes and cars are just modifications to the original idea.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Bigger and more important invention for whom? If we are talking about impacts on the American dynamic, it is undoubtedly the train. If it weren't for the railway system being developed in the United States, Westward expansion would not have even been remotely possible or journeys that way sustainable. Towns that had railway systems back when they developed prospered, those that didn't faded away. Trains could carry a ridiculous amount more than wagons, whether it be farming resources or water, as well as materials and creature comforts to help build a foundation in the West. Even though they were still subject to attack, they weren't nearly as vulnerable as horse drawn wagons, etc. It also made economic expansion absolutely boom. Trains allowed for us to ship agricultural products on the Western Front that weren't readily available out east with relative ease. It literally connected everything in this country and they still play an important role in the aforementioned today. Trains are ****ing AWESOME. TRAINS WIN.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I would say car. A car directly affects families worldwide. It's a basic necessity for their daily routines. Not only for an individual but for economies around the world. You take a car away from someone in today's world and their lives are turned upside down.
Until we all rode bikes or mopeds or...wait for it...THE TRAIN!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
I would say car. A car directly affects families worldwide. It's a basic necessity for their daily routines. Not only for an individual but for economies around the world. You take a car away from someone in today's world and their lives are turned upside down. You take a train away today and people would ship by semi or plane. You take a plane away today and people drive. You take the car away and it would be mayhem.
Yeah. . . most people in the world don't have cars. .
Old 03-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

See I think it was the car. I understand that train started it but you can live without those. Use diesels if need be for transportation.

Planes are fast and fly but you can live without them too.

Cars and trucks though, you just can't live without them anymore.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Bigger and more important invention for whom? If we are talking about impacts on the American dynamic, it is undoubtedly the train. If it weren't for the railway system being developed in the United States, Westward expansion would not have even been remotely possible or journeys that way sustainable. Towns that had railway systems back when they developed prospered, those that didn't faded away. Trains could carry a ridiculous amount more than wagons, whether it be farming resources or water, as well as materials and creature comforts to help build a foundation in the West. Even though they were still subject to attack, they weren't nearly as vulnerable as horse drawn wagons, etc. It also made economic expansion absolutely boom. Trains allowed for us to ship agricultural products on the Western Front that weren't readily available out east with relative ease. It literally connected everything in this country and they still play an important role in the aforementioned today. Trains are ****ing AWESOME. TRAINS WIN.
There was just as big an impact in England and Ireland as trains allowed coal fields to get their product to ports in larger quantities as well as fuel the industrial revolution with manufacturing and textile mills.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Yeah. . . most people in the world don't have cars. .
There are countries around the world that wouldn't exist without oil.

I see alot of railroad tracks but I see even more roads. City landscapes built around the use of cars.

If a train was never invented but a car was life would still go on.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Horse drawn carriage or GTFO
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
Drunken.Broncoholic

A car can do what a train can. But a train cannot do what a car can.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
See I think it was the car. I understand that train started it but you can live without those. Use diesels if need be for transportation.

Planes are fast and fly but you can live without them too.

Cars and trucks though, you just can't live without them anymore.
Tell that to people who live in big cities and have no need for them. Less than 10% of the world owns an automobile, with 1/4 of the total cars in the world being here in the United States.

Do you think that cars are able to ship all the products we consume on a daily basis at the same effective rate as trains, etc.? No way.

I would rank cars dead last out of the three and would even rate the advent of the canal and naval systems higher.

On a personal level, now some, yeah a car would probably be the most "important" to the individual. Holistically, on the grand scheme of things, not even close.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Lol at not living without cars. I would like to introduce you to 2/3 of the planet.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
There are countries around the world that wouldn't exist without oil.

I see alot of railroad tracks but I see even more roads. City landscapes built around the use of cars.

If a train was never invented but a car was life would still go on.
Are you even serious?

Yeah, because you are going to be able to carry fifteen tons of produce to help feed consumers across the country in the back of one Volkswagon.

We wouldn't have cars without trains. Do you even understand how the advent of engines in trains/caboose helped bring forth the automobile boom?

How efficient do you think the transportation of goods that we all use on a daily basis would be if we were shipping them in automobiles.

Good grief this is some of the silliest diatribe I've ever read.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Lol at not living without cars. I would like to introduce you to 2/3 of the planet.
Put your car in the garage for 2 weeks. Do not use it one time. See how fast you'll miss it.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
A car can do what a train can. But a train cannot do what a car can.
You understand how products are moved around the country and the world right? It is cheaper, easier and cleaner to put shipping containers on flat beds and haul them by train to the local area and have trucks get the product to the last mile.

The reason there are less rail lines is because it is more efficent, you can haul more people and product on a set of rails than can be moved on a highway.

Most of us could do without cars, especially in the urban/suburban areas.

Cars are a luxury that serves a purpose.

Rail lines are the backbone of the country. There is a reason Berkshire Hathaway is one of the biggest companies in the world.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #20
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Are you even serious?

Yeah, because you are going to be able to carry fifteen tons of produce to help feed consumers across the country in the back of one Volkswagon.

We wouldn't have cars without trains. Do you even understand how the advent of engines in trains/caboose helped bring forth the automobile boom?

How efficient do you think the transportation of goods that we all use on a daily basis would be if we were shipping them in automobiles.

Good grief this is some of the silliest diatribe I've ever read.

It still wouldve been built, albeit slower. No one is debating a train was the foundation of building this country. But without a car this country today as you know it would cease to exist. Would be a FAR different place.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #21
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
You understand how products are moved around the country and the world right? It is cheaper, easier and cleaner to put shipping containers on flat beds and haul them by train to the local area and have trucks get the product to the last mile.

The reason there are less rail lines is because it is more efficent, you can haul more people and product on a set of rails than can be moved on a highway.

Most of us could do without cars, especially in the urban/suburban areas.

Cars are a luxury that serves a purpose.

Rail lines are the backbone of the country. There is a reason Berkshire Hathaway is one of the biggest companies in the world.

A train does not give a human freedom to go anywhere they want like a car does. You call that a luxury I call that a necessity.

All I'm saying is you take the car away from society today and its armaggedon. There's a reason wars are started because of oil. Think about it. Take every car off the road in America. How long does it survive.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 03-22-2013 at 11:37 AM..
Old 03-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
A train does not give a human freedom to go anywhere they want like a car does. You call that a luxury I call that a necessity.
How many times do you get in the car and go anyplace but work, stores, friends then home? Maybe a vacation car trip here and there.

Thing is we were able to do that with wagons and horses.

Cars are nice haves but with better public transportation you could really do with out it if you wanted to. I know people who do not own cars and they still make it. They also live in the city where they are near everything, including an EL line that gets them to places faster than using surface streets.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #23
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
That is the biggest load of crap. The entire world was dominated by Europeans without the use of cars - but that wouldn't have happened without the train. Look at how the Romans, Mongols and Macedonian empires crumbled because they couldn't transport people and materials in mass over large distances - on the other hand you have the British empire which dwarfed those 3 even if you added them together and it was all built on the back of being able to move men and material via ship and railroad.

The car is an upgrade over the horse, but the car changed nothing.

All of these cities reached at least 1 million citizens before the car was invented:

1. Rome(Italy)-133 B.C.
2. Alexandria(Egypt)-30 B.C.
3. Angkor(Cambodia)-900
4. Hangzhou(China)-1200
5. London(UK)-1810
6. Paris(France)-1850
7. Beijing(China)-1855
8. Guangzhou(China)-1860
9. Berlin(Germany)-1870
10. Manhattan-1874

The car had nothing to do with urbanization.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
Drunken.Broncoholic

I love how I'm getting bashed for my opinion.

Typical mane.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #25
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Please stop. Your replies are inaccurate and uninformed.

Oh, and just FYI- I've gone months without using my vehicle for any reason and been perfectly content. I live in downtown Denver and work in Highlands Ranch, and I can get wherever I need to with public transportation and a bike.