The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler
Default Before & After of the Moore, OK Tornado

Pretty crazy:

http://www.mapbox.com/blog/before-after-moore-tornado/
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
thumpc
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Richard Quinn

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/66626...a-aspen-relief

Latisha Garcia finds her son's favorite truck as she digs through the rubble of her tornado demolished home following Monday's tornado in Moore, Okla. | Sue Ogrocki, AP

Basalt resident Jeff Posey can’t sit by idly while victims of last week’s Oklahoma tornadoes try to reassemble their lives.

On Tuesday, Posey will head to Moore, Okla., where he once lived for four years, to begin relief efforts for a region wiped out by Monday’s deadly twister.

He plans to bring crew members from his company, Skyline Roofing USA, to help the effort. They’ll have trucks loaded with critical items for the tornado victims.

“The next 30 days are so important,” Posey said. “They have nothing. No stores are open. No drive-throughs are open. The power is off. The gas is off. These people have lost everything.”

To that end, Posey is organizing a fund drive that he’s calling Aspen for Oklahoma Relief. His ties to Moore include a friendship with Robert Crain, Moore’s fire marshal.

“It looks like a landfill here,” Crain said Friday. “It’s hard to describe. When a bomb goes off, it has an impact that you see everything slanted to one direction. But with this, everything is twisted up. There’s no rhyme or reason why things look the way they do.”

Hospitals, schools and homes have been destroyed, and 24 lives have been claimed.

The Red Cross is the go-to charity during natural disasters like the one in Oklahoma, but Crain said there are immediate needs that the nonprofit can’t fulfill immediately. That’s where Posey’s efforts come in.

“The Red Cross has done an incredible job, but the people on the outskirts almost starved to death because Red Cross could not get to the outskirts,” Posey said.

Posey was busy Friday establishing an account called Moore Firefighters Santa Express/Aspen Relief. He hopes to have one set up at a local bank by this week. In the meantime, potential contributors can call him at 706-853-0305 to get information on how to donate.

Posey is asking local residents to give to Moore Firefighters Santa Express/Aspen Relief, an offshoot of the Santa Express, which was created more than 30 years ago by Moore’s fire department to provide gifts to children during the holidays, Crain said.

“With this happening, (the fund) has a lot more need,” Crain said. “And Jeff called to see how he (and his company) could help.”

Said Posey: “The mission for the Aspen for Oklahoma Relief effort is to fill the gaps that the big noprofits cannot and to be directly involved.”
thumpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Would anyone live in areas of tornados without a shelter? or a plan better then heading out to the highway to outrun a tornado. Still feel bad for them but it should be a wake up call homes in tornado alley need tornado shelters. Even if they are really small they need something.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Would anyone live in areas of tornados without a shelter? or a plan better then heading out to the highway to outrun a tornado. Still feel bad for them but it should be a wake up call homes in tornado alley need tornado shelters. Even if they are really small they need something.
Hell no! My basement is made from insulating concrete forms and the rest of my walls are foamed. This gives me the best chance to survive a tornado I can.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Hell no! My basement is made from insulating concrete forms and the rest of my walls are foamed. This gives me the best chance to survive a tornado I can.
have people got killed inside the shelter very often? You know family goes into storm shelter tornado kills them anyways? I had no idea they could get you if you were in the ground like that.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

http://www.operationbbqrelief.org/

This group of volunteers left their day jobs and headed down to Moore after the first tornado. As of yesterday they have served over 143,000 hot meals to victims, first responders and volunteers.

Couldn't get the video to embed but here's a link to one of the articles

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...elief.cnn.html
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
have people got killed inside the shelter very often? You know family goes into storm shelter tornado kills them anyways? I had no idea they could get you if you were in the ground like that.
As far as I know insulating concrete forms are the best thing you can do against a tornado. That doesn't mean it is fail proof though.

pretty boring stuff but you get the idea of how strong the wall is.

My issue is warning of the tornado coming. I live 7 or so miles outside of the town and I don't think I will hear any warnings.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
As far as I know insulating concrete forms are the best thing you can do against a tornado. That doesn't mean it is fail proof though.

My issue is warning of the tornado coming. I live 7 or so miles outside of the town and I don't think I will hear any warnings.
Why wouldn't you hear any warning?
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Why wouldn't you hear any warning?
I believe my town has two sirens, neither are loud enough to be heard out where I live on a clear day. They are tested the first Monday of every month and I haven't heard one in the 10 years I've been out here. If I had to guess the nearest siren tower is anywhere from 10 to 12 miles from my house.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
I believe my town has two sirens, neither are loud enough to be heard out where I live on a clear day. They are tested the first Monday of every month and I haven't heard one in the 10 years I've been out here. If I had to guess the nearest siren tower is anywhere from 10 to 12 miles from my house.
If cant believe anyone actually depends on a public siren for a tornado warning. You are asking for trouble if that's the case. There are any number of cell phone apps / text messaging services that are location specific and/or GPS enabled that will send alerts. My Verizon service sends tornado warnings automatically via SMS and I didn't even subscribe to it. Something more simple and likely more reliable is a weather radio programmed to recieve NOAA alerts encoded for your specific county. We have one in our house and the siren goes off only for severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings, and the siren is loud enough to wake everyone in my house. A weather radio is mandatory in Oklahoma IMO.

Here's a link to the radio I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-CL-100...+weather+radio
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
If cant believe anyone actually depends on a public siren for a tornado warning. You are asking for trouble if that's the case. There are any number of cell phone apps / text messaging services that are location specific and/or GPS enabled that will send alerts. My Verizon service sends tornado warnings automatically via SMS and I didn't even subscribe to it. Something more simple and likely more reliable is a weather radio programmed to recieve NOAA alerts encoded for your specific county. We have one in our house and the siren goes off only for severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings, and the siren is loud enough to wake everyone in my house. A weather radio is mandatory in Oklahoma IMO.

Here's a link to the radio I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-CL-100...+weather+radio
I have all that on my phone. Seriously you might as well live in a basement for all the warnings that are alerted to my phone. Sirens go off if there is a confirmed tornado here.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
Bronco Yoda

What compels all these people to live there anyway?

Three epic storms in 14 years in the exact place. Am I missing something here?

This is freak'n O K L A H O M A! Not exactly paradise.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Repped. This was a great tool to use to really illustrate how devastating that disaster was to the kiddo
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
Bronco Yoda

Quote:

This is a great method and material to build with. I would defiantly choose a home built this way if given a choice regardless of location. Fantastic energy efficiency.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Building basements in that clay they have is prohibitively expensive. They're not retarded. If they could build basements they would.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
What compels all these people to live there anyway?

Three epic storms in 14 years in the exact place. Am I missing something here?

This is freak'n O K L A H O M A! Not exactly paradise.

TRUTH...........worked there for years while commuting home to Missouri on weekends.

Nothing there , time to move. Dirt poor republican voting types.

Lots of immigrants and Indians, very poor state.

Right to work republicans..............
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Repped. This was a great tool to use to really illustrate how devastating that disaster was to the kiddo
Yeah I thought so as well. Seeing the narrower path of complete and utter destruction was sobering.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The National Weather Service has now reported that the El Reno tornado was the largest on record - 2.6 miles across.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...on-record?lite
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Holy crap
Old 06-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
TRUTH...........worked there for years while commuting home to Missouri on weekends.

Nothing there , time to move. Dirt poor republican voting types.

Lots of immigrants and Indians, very poor state.

Right to work republicans..............
Sounds like we have the new Drama Llama on the mane.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #21
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
This is a great method and material to build with. I would defiantly choose a home built this way if given a choice regardless of location. Fantastic energy efficiency.
Yes it is
Old 06-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #22
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Sounds like we have the new Drama Llama on the mane.
I guarantee you llama is still here just under a new username.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #23
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Jealousy has got to be at an all time high on some of those streets. A cul de sac on the very right has a few homes gone but all the homes on the other side of the street stand. Now there could be damage but replacing windows and siding is a lot easier than building from the concrete slab. Amazing how perfect some of the path sliced through with precision.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote