The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #276
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I don't think playing the run is a strength for Doom but I will say also that it's not a weakness. I'd say he's average in that dept.
Id take average if it meant 12-15 sacks 6 FFs and a slew of QBs rushed into mistakes/incompletes.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #277
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Wait wait wait...

So this dead money that the Broncos are now being penalized... this isn't money that was guaranteed to Dumervil? I was under the assumption this whole time that the reason it was dead was because it was paid to Dumervil as part of some guaranteed money he had coming in his contract. Is this not the case?

If it is the case, then why can't we just offer the same contract, less the money we are already paying him?

If this isn't the case, I don't see how we have any chance at all of re-signing him.

Can someone please clear this up?
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #278
TonyR
Franchise Poster

The "dead money" was already paid. The Broncos currently owe Doom $0.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #279
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Lets go Broncos!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Yep not too bright but there were people on this board who had the same thoughts. Look man I agree with you and can't understand it but it is what it is. He just wasted an 8 mill offer from us and now has one for 6 mill according to Dmac and al yesterday.
My theory is that Doom was never the driver in thisgame of chicken against elway. It was really the agent. Excluding to agreeing to take the pay cut the agent wanted to drag this out as long as possible to get the Broncos to pay as much as possible. The agent didn't think that Elway was willing to cut Doom. Wrong call.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #280
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
Wait wait wait...

So this dead money that the Broncos are now being penalized... this isn't money that was guaranteed to Dumervil? I was under the assumption this whole time that the reason it was dead was because it was paid to Dumervil as part of some guaranteed money he had coming in his contract. Is this not the case?

If it is the case, then why can't we just offer the same contract, less the money we are already paying him?

If this isn't the case, I don't see how we have any chance at all of re-signing him.

Can someone please clear this up?
the signing bonus Doom received in 2010 is prorated over the life of the contract. When he was cut the remainder of the prorated bonus counts towards this years cap and is called "dead money".
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #281
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

And, given that Den (aka donks) had a little over 8 mil in 2013 cap to pay Doom, and the dead money reduces that cap to somewhere around 3.5 mil, that's about the most they can offer in base salary plus any prorated bonus money they offer in a more than one year deal.

And, to whoever asked the questions about rookies and cap, the League has some forumla by which they hold back some of the 2013 cap available in FA based upon what draft picks a team has. So, when Den traded out of the first round last year, they actually saved some cap that became available in this year's free agency period.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #282
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
And, given that Den (aka donks) had a little over 8 mil in 2013 cap to pay Doom, and the dead money reduces that cap to somewhere around 3.5 mil, that's about the most they can offer in base salary plus any prorated bonus money they offer in a more than one year deal.

And, to whoever asked the questions about rookies and cap, the League has some forumla by which they hold back some of the 2013 cap available in FA based upon what draft picks a team has. So, when Den traded out of the first round last year, they actually saved some cap that became available in this year's free agency period.
wait, how would it be only 3.5 mil in cap space when we also saved 7 mil by cutting Doom?
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #283
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Essentially,

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/3/1...contract-wtfax

The exact numbers of what Den's got left in cap, and what Den's current offer to Doom is, aren't something I've seen.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #284
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

So I guess this should kill the idea that Doom would make 12 million with ease as a FA right?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #285
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
So I guess this should kill the idea that Doom would make 12 million with ease as a FA right?
Maybe in 2010 but ain't gonna happen in 2013.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #286
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Maybe in 2010 but ain't gonna happen in 2013.
I can dig that.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #287
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
the only people who thought that nonsense were people feeling that Elway was a jackass for demanding Doom take a pay cut.
there weren't many teams with a ton of cap space and the ones that did already used a good chunk of it. then there's the market only churning out 1 10+ mil per player in Mike Wallace.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #288
bendog
Marginally Continent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Yeah, Elway was a real jackass trying to pay a guy 8 million when the market value is more like 4 or 5 max. I'm sure glad I don't have him for a boss.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #289
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
Yeah, Elway was a real jackass trying to pay a guy 8 million when the market value is more like 4 or 5 max. I'm sure glad I don't have him for a boss.
well he did trade Tebow. that makes him the devil in some peoples eyes.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #290
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
So instead of being 3rd in the league against the run, there's a chance they can be 1st? It's amazing they ranked 3rd best with such a horrendous DE against the rush. That must mean the rest of the line are some of the best run stoppers in the league. Or just means dumervils horrible against the run is an over blown myth.
don't forget Rahim Moore and Adams also sucked.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #291
pricejj
jungle

DMac reported that the Broncos offered Elvis a 3-year $18M deal ($6M, $6M, $6M). There is no way he'll take that that after dragging his feet on a backloaded 3-year $30M contract.

Last edited by pricejj; 03-21-2013 at 07:36 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #292
pricejj
jungle

Elvis WAS worth $8M per year to the Broncos (that's what they would have paid him this year).

Guess what? That $5M cap hit Dumervil cost the Broncos? They dropped the $8M offer to $6M over three years. Maybe Elvis will call, and give the Broncos an opportunity to match...maybe not.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #293
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Yeah 3/18 is not realistic. He is not going to do less than the 8 he had agreed to kicking and screaming. The cap hit changes it from Denver's standpoint but not his. The market will bear more than 6...if it didn't DEN would have asked for more than a reduction to 8 initially.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #294
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Yeah 3/18 is not realistic. He is not going to do less than the 8 he had agreed to kicking and screaming. The cap hit changes it from Denver's standpoint but not his. The market will bear more than 6...if it didn't DEN would have asked for more than a reduction to 8 initially.
I thought Denver asked at 6.5 initially then the two sides met somewhat in the middle.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #295
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I thought Denver asked at 6.5 initially then the two sides met somewhat in the middle.
I don't remember seeing 6.5 but you might be right.....dunno. In any event I'm almost certain the market would give him something better than that.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #296
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Bottom line is Doom is replaceable without serious drop off and with the savings the Broncos realize with his replacement they will be able to afford another player at a position of need or be able to afford a better player than they otherwise would have .
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #297
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Bottom line is Doom is replaceable without serious drop off and with the savings the Broncos realize with his replacement they will be able to afford another player at a position of need or be able to afford a better player than they otherwise would have .
Maybe hez repkaceable against the.run ... Quick name the last de in denver.with more.sacks then him in a careef
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #298
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

JDR will be able to scheme around the loss of Doom's skill set
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #299
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

I think we are all headed to full on rationalization mode.. Either way you slice it, his departure is not a good thing. This whole thing is bad.

It helps to pretend that we just released him. At least in that case you could assume that the front office knew from the start that we didn't need him and felt confident moving on. If it's going to be anyone, please sign Abraham. I have no faith in Freeney.. But i'm sure those guys know who their man is.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #300
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
I think we are all headed to full on rationalization mode.. Either way you slice it, his departure is not a good thing. This whole thing is bad.

It helps to pretend that we just released him. At least in that case you could assume that the front office knew from the start that we didn't need him and felt confident moving on. If it's going to be anyone, please sign Abraham. I have no faith in Freeney.. But i'm sure those guys know who their man is.
Amen Brotha.