The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
ScottXray
Opinionated A******
 
ScottXray's Avatar
 
We will NOT lose!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PDX (Portland OR)
Posts: 5,491

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER
Default Assume Doom Gone. what now?

Assuming that Doom now signs elsewhere where do the Broncos go from here?

Dooms cap hit is 4.9 mill, so that leaves us about 7 mill under. We need 4 for
rookies. So 3 million is left.
If the Broncos reach injury settlements with Mays and possibly Kuper ( rather see some renogiated contract there that retains him at a lower hit equal to his dead space) that should free up another 4-5 million.
So lets say we have 7.5 million cap available for FA.

Carlos Dansby is out there , so is Pollard. And Freeney and Abraham.

We will probably spend a high pick on a DE or OLB to try to replace doom.

LB is pretty poor draft pickings, but a pick needs to go there for future. 3rd or 4th round?

Frankly I think that Dansby may be our best choice now, at maybe 4-5 mill per, short term deal Fix the MLB position for this year and look to future draft for a true 3 down guy.

Any thoughts?
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Play2win
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,630

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke
Default

Might want to play the waiting game now. We made our splash, now gear up for the draft, and we will still have some cap room for late signing/good bargains over the summer.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
B-Large
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Panic, or threads about how Doom was terrible anyway....
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,239
Default

The whole fax fiasco aside, we knew we might lose Doom all along. My plan would to bring in Abraham or Freeney on a one year deal to be a pass rush specialist, with Ayers the starter. Then, depending on who's available, I'd look at pass rushers in the 1st or 2nd round for the long term fix (i.e. Bjoern Werner, Demontre Moore, Datone Jones, Alex Okafor, Tank Carradine, etc). Use the new cap space to look at safeties.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Mouth
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Freeny would be too expensive as a specialist. He'll want similar money to doom, but doom is a 3 down player. I say we switch to 3-4 and try for better MLBs. Mantai imaginary gf teo would probably be available close to where we draft in the first.
That being said, I would rather we make a deal with doom.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 20,210
Default

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,904

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Seems to me like all the teams are now sitting back waiting for values to drop in the market. Broncos should probably do the same.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
MABroncoFan
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,222

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker
Default

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...r-teams/18941/
MABroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,754
Default

I would love if Beal could step in and gain a bigger role
Dude was a stud at OU

As far as Freeney, I dont see why he couldnt come relatively cheap
Very little interest in him now because he is old and sucks

I wouldnt be surprised if we signed him and used him in nickel downs with Ayers on rushing downs

Also this opens up the option for DE via draft
Several good prospects in the first round

With Doom's cap hit I dont think you will see much more FA action out of us except for Freeney
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,867

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
I would love if Beal could step in and gain a bigger role
Dude was a stud at OU

As far as Freeney, I dont see why he couldnt come relatively cheap
Very little interest in him now because he is old and sucks

I wouldnt be surprised if we signed him and used him in nickel downs with Ayers on rushing downs

Also this opens up the option for DE via draft
Several good prospects in the first round

With Doom's cap hit I dont think you will see much more FA action out of us except for Freeney
They have room and they'll have more once they ax mays/kuper/anyone else expendable
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
They have room and they'll have more once they ax mays/kuper/anyone else expendable
No they don't. They already have $130M in active contracts including cutting Mays/Kuper. They could add a player on a 1 year rental, but I see that as highly unlikely. They would be wise to save $7M of their rollover for 2014.


They will have to address DE in the draft. I suggest either Okafor or Montgomery.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
SlyEli
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I doubt they make another move until them doom situation is resolved
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,643

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
Assuming that Doom now signs elsewhere where do the Broncos go from here?

Dooms cap hit is 4.9 mill, so that leaves us about 7 mill under. We need 4 for
rookies. So 3 million is left.
If the Broncos reach injury settlements with Mays and possibly Kuper ( rather see some renogiated contract there that retains him at a lower hit equal to his dead space) that should free up another 4-5 million.
So lets say we have 7.5 million cap available for FA.

Carlos Dansby is out there , so is Pollard. And Freeney and Abraham.

We will probably spend a high pick on a DE or OLB to try to replace doom.

Only if this player is BPA when we pick, Denver does not reach for players of need very often

LB is pretty poor draft pickings, but a pick needs to go there for future. 3rd or 4th round?

LB position sucks, So you want us to waste a low/middle round pick on crap

Frankly I think that Dansby may be our best choice now, at maybe 4-5 mill per, short term deal Fix the MLB position for this year and look to future draft for a true 3 down guy.

Let me get this straight, You want to waste a 3rd-4th round pick this year.... Over pay Dansby this year AND look to the future to replace what you are recommending wasting a pick this year and 4-5 million on?
Any thoughts?

Like another poster stated, You have jumped the gun in panic, I am very glad Elway is in charge. The sky has not fallen, Doom is not gone yet as there is a chance he might still be in a Denver uniform come this month.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,954
Default

Signing Welker (instead of Stokley) seriously decreased the Broncos flexibility.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,055
Default

You depend on Ayers and Wolfe to take the next step.

Ayers already has developed good pass rushing moves and has a really good step.

Unless someone like Osi, or even Shaun Phillips is willing to take a very cheap deal, I say you go into the draft with an eye towards DT/DE.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #16
ScottXray
Opinionated A******
 
ScottXray's Avatar
 
We will NOT lose!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PDX (Portland OR)
Posts: 5,491

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Like another poster stated, You have jumped the gun in panic, I am very glad Elway is in charge. The sky has not fallen, Doom is not gone yet as there is a chance he might still be in a Denver uniform come this month.
As stated at the start....Assuming Doom signs elsewhere.

If they can get Doom back then all this is not needed. I think it is unlikely, unless Dumervil tells his agent to "make it so".

I fully agree that we should pick best player available in the Draft ...but since there are so many good DE/DT players in the draft we probably will spend a high pick there...depends on how things fall.

Also assume that we are in win NOW mode, and the MLB in this draft iare Mehhh at best. If we sign Dansby to a 1 or two year deal we can wait for the future years for MLB . I don't know what he would cost, but 3-4 mill is probably in the ballpark.

As to taking another LB, I mean outside pass rush type ( to replace Doom). Again best player will come into play , but if we don't sign Freeney or Abraham, then we will be looking for one in the draft this year also. Doom was a 4th himself, no?

I'm as pissed as anyone at this mess, just postulating thoughts as to where the team should go/look. And I think, if there is more FA money to be spent perhaps a decent MLB is a better direction to go, if we lose doom.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,904

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

We take Jesse Williams at 28 and line up Ayers/Williams, Vickerson/Knighton and Wolfe. I'd go into battle all day long with a line like that. Both Williams and Wolfe can move around. Vickerson and Knighton are your run stuffers. And you have the added benefit of putting Von wherever you want. That would **** with some OC's mind. Who knows, Malik Jackson might turn into something as well.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 03-16-2013 at 11:01 AM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,867

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
No they don't. They already have $130M in active contracts including cutting Mays/Kuper. They could add a player on a 1 year rental, but I see that as highly unlikely. They would be wise to save $7M of their rollover for 2014.


They will have to address DE in the draft. I suggest either Okafor or Montgomery.
You have zero clue what you're talking about. Stop going on that website. You're like the guy who diagnoses ailments on webmd
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #19
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
We take Jesse Williams at 28 and line up Ayers/Williams, Vickerson/Knighton and Wolfe. I'd go into battle all day long with a line like that. Both Williams and Wolfe can move around. Vickerson and Knighton are your run stuffers. And you have the added benefit of putting Von wherever you want. That would **** with some OC's mind. Who knows, Malik Jackson might turn into something as well.
Williams is DT and won't be able to flex to the defense end spot. They very well could select him but it will to rotate inside with Vickerson and Knighton.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #20
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
We take Jesse Williams at 28 and line up Ayers/Williams, Vickerson/Knighton and Wolfe. I'd go into battle all day long with a line like that. Both Williams and Wolfe can move around. Vickerson and Knighton are your run stuffers. And you have the added benefit of putting Von wherever you want. That would **** with some OC's mind. Who knows, Malik Jackson might turn into something as well.
Williams is not worth the 28th overall pick
FO has already shown that they dont put a premium value on pure run stuffers

If we go Dlinein Rd1 they need to have some pass rush ability
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #21
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
Assuming that Doom now signs elsewhere where do the Broncos go from here?

Dooms cap hit is 4.9 mill, so that leaves us about 7 mill under. We need 4 for
rookies. So 3 million is left.
If the Broncos reach injury settlements with Mays and possibly Kuper ( rather see some renogiated contract there that retains him at a lower hit equal to his dead space) that should free up another 4-5 million.
So lets say we have 7.5 million cap available for FA.

Carlos Dansby is out there , so is Pollard. And Freeney and Abraham.

We will probably spend a high pick on a DE or OLB to try to replace doom.

LB is pretty poor draft pickings, but a pick needs to go there for future. 3rd or 4th round?

Frankly I think that Dansby may be our best choice now, at maybe 4-5 mill per, short term deal Fix the MLB position for this year and look to future draft for a true 3 down guy.

Any thoughts?
What's funny is that there is a $4.9 million cap hit thus they only save $7 million by cutting Doom. Isn't Doom worth $7 million. Elway ****ed this up. THE ONLY WAY THE BRONCOS COME OUT AHEAD IS IF DOOM ACCEPTED THE PAY CUT AND CAME BACK. They scerwed the pooch on this one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,904

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Williams is DT and won't be able to flex to the defense end spot. They very well could select him but it will to rotate inside with Vickerson and Knighton.
Saban was moving Williams inside and outside his whole career at Alabama, even putting him at fullback. He played DE his junior year and NT his senior year. Wherever you put him, he takes a double team to stop on every down and was kicking ass at tackles for loss. He ran a 4.84 on his pro day, which puts him right there with Werner, speed wise.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #23
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Saban was moving Williams inside and outside his whole career at Alabama, even putting him at fullback. He played DE his junior year and NT his senior year. Wherever you put him, he takes a double team to stop on every down and was kicking ass at tackles for loss. He ran a 4.84 on his pro day, which puts him right there with Werner, speed wise.
I like him as player, but I don't think he the sudden edge speed to turn the corner to play DE in the NFL. Though I will admit I was surprised he had 7.69 in the 3 cone drill, which is really good for a guy his size, it a lot slower then 7.30 that Werner ran or Datone Jones's (UCLA DE) 7.32. 40 times for DL don't mean much it about the 3 cone drill and the 20 yard shuttle.

Edit: Just for comparison Von Miller ran 6.70 3 cone drill

Last edited by elsid13; 03-16-2013 at 01:25 PM..
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #24
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,904

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I like him as player, but I don't think he the sudden edge speed to turn the corner to play DE in the NFL. Though I will admit I was surprised he had 7.69 in the 3 cone drill, which is really good for a guy his size, it a lot slower then 7.30 that Werner ran or Datone Jones's (UCLA DE) 7.32. 40 times for DL don't mean much it about the 3 cone drill and the 20 yard shuttle.

Edit: Just for comparison Von Miller ran 6.70 3 cone drill
Do you really think any NFL team can afford the optimum player at every position? Like I keep trying to say, Jesse is a monster. In fact, that was his nickname at Alabama. He has a non-stop motor and requires a double team on every down. I'm frankly not worried about him rushing the QB on every passing down, although he's not bad at that either. Plus, he kicked ass as a guy getting RBs in tackles for loss. What he does in the pass rush is free up people around him, wherever you put him. He drives the pocket forward. That's always a benefit. He's going to cause some lane to be open. Put Von in that lane.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #25
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,999

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

I will predict the Broncos and Doom will work something out and he will stay a Bronco. Time to get creative.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:10 PM.


Denver Broncos