The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #151
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
There will be plenty of good options in the draft..

Jones, Oakfor, Moore, Hunt, Tank C, Jenkins... So many prospects to choose from..
I hate the idea of 1) reaching for one of these guys if they feel we have to 2) relying on one. Id still want to sign one of the vets if possible.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #152
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
There will be plenty of good options in the draft..

Jones, Oakfor, Moore, Hunt, Tank C, Jenkins... So many prospects to choose from..
Can any contribute their first year?
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #153
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I hate the idea of 1) reaching for one of these guys if they feel we have to 2) relying on one. Id still want to sign one of the vets if possible.
Me too, I don't see a DE worth drafting that high.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #154
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Lol, **** Elvis. Datone Jones this team up or get another pass rushers. Time to upgrade from a 5'11 gun toting cockroach.
I like Datone Jones but I think he more of LDE in the league then a RDE. Need to find a speed rusher that can rotate in on passing downs.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #155
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
There is no way it is a good idea to draft a pass rusher in round 1 this year - we need someone who can contribute right now and the chances of a pass rusher drafted at the bottom round 1 in a weak draft contributing is very small in deed.

We need to get a veteran in like Abraham, if we can't resign Dumervil, hope he hasn't lost everything.
! You must not be a draft guy!

Without knowing how the board falls, but with free agency and the acquisitions I see only 3 holes...

MLB (I think we roll with Irving).. So the 3 are RB (better value in the second/third round) that leaves S and DE as the other positions of need. Safety is DEEP better value in the second/third. So if a DE falls to #28 don't be shocked!

Last edited by Bmore Manning; 03-15-2013 at 05:48 PM..
Old 03-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #156
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Without knowing how the board falls, but with free agency and the acquisitions I see only 3 holes...

MLB (I think we roll with Irving).. So the 3 are RB (better value in the second/third round) that leaves S and DE as the other positions of need. Safety is DEEP better value in the second/third. So if a DE falls to #28 don't be shocked!
I dont think that's his point. Unless its Jadeaveon Clowney, he's not going to trust any of them to perform. I dont either.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #157
Bmore Manning

Quote:
It's not a reach if one falls.. A veteran will probably play situationally, a rookie DE would probably do the same thing year one.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #158
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
It's not a reach if one falls.. A veteran will probably play situationally, a rookie DE would probably do the same thing year one.
Youre missing the point. We dont want to rely on a rookie to perform. Not saying they aren't capable, just don't want to put our eggs in that basket.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #159
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Can any contribute their first year?
Yeah, a rookie DE would have the same role as a veteran situational pass rusher like Freeney. Ayers would play base downs, Freeney on obvious passing downs. A rookie could do the same thing at a fraction of the price, probably just a little less effective than Freeney..
Old 03-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #160
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Yeah, a rookie DE would have the same role as a veteran situational pass rusher like Freeney. Ayers would play base downs, Freeney on obvious passing downs. A rookie could do the same thing at a fraction of the price, probably just a little less effective than Freeney..
Then lets go with freeney. Cost isnt an issue right now, he's not gonna be that expensive.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #161
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Youre missing the point. We dont want to rely on a rookie to perform. Not saying they aren't capable, just don't want to put our eggs in that basket.
A rookie DE would not need to be a day one starter! Just a situational pass rusher. Ayers can play base downs!

I'd rather take a DE @#28 than Lacey! Can get a value RB in the second or third.. Our team outside of DE, S, RB doesn't have a position where a rookie would upgrade the starter. So take value where value is..

1. DE
2. RB/S
3. S/RB
Old 03-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #162
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Brandon Jenkins in the third round. If his medical checks out, he will do just as much as Elvis has in this league. Denver isn't RELYING on a rookie to take over. Other players we have will get their shot too. It's called loading up. We are now down one pass rusher. We need another. A guy like Abraham (who I wanted before he went to Atlanta) is a patch. This team needs a long-term solution.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #163
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
A rookie DE would not need to be a day one starter! Just a situational pass rusher. Ayers can play base downs!

I'd rather take a DE @#28 than Lacey! Can get a value RB in the second or third.. Our team outside of DE, S, RB doesn't have a position where a rookie would upgrade the starter. So take value where value is..

1. DE
2. RB/S
3. S/RB
I totally get what youre saying, but we dont know if said draft pick can pass rush worth ****. I can give you a laundry list of guys who have failed. Im not saying dont draft one, im saying dont rely on him. I'm still for BPA.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #164
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

1. DE
2. RB/S
3. S/RB
I don't want Ayers to play 500+ snaps, especially not as the primary pass rusher on the defensive line in the base package, and I definitely do not want our passing situation defence to rely on a rookie. We currently have 1 player on the roster who has proven he can get consistent pass pressure, if we add a rookie that number doesn't change.

Ansah, Jordan and Werner are not going to drop to the late 20s, that leaves Damontre Moore, Cornelius Carradine and Alex Okafor as guys who have proven they can rush the passer in college. Damontre Moore wore down over a 12 game schedule in college and showed up in poor shape at the combine, Carradine got most of his production against some truly mediocre teams in the ACC and has only 2 years of NCAA experience, Okafor produced against good teams but is not nearly as athletic as most successful pass rushers tend to be and realistically will probably do better bulking up and playing on the left side as a power end. No other defensive end prospect has been able to crack double digit sacks against NCAA competition, so expecting them to do it in the pros is just lunacy.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #165
Bmore Manning

Quote:
I totally get what youre saying, but we dont know if said draft pick can pass rush worth ****. I can give you a laundry list of guys who have failed. Im not saying dont draft one, im saying dont rely on him. I'm still for BPA.
I don't see Freeney/Abraham/Osi playing in an every down role.. What's the cost $5-$7 million? For what 7-9 sacks partime.. A rookie can get maybe 6-8 part time on passing downs at a fraction of the cost..

It's something to consider..
Old 03-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #166
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

. . . thanks for sharing. Casey Hayward = Alphonso Smith too.

Amirite?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #167
Bmore Manning

Quote:
. . . thanks for sharing. Casey Hayward = Alphonso Smith too.

Amirite?
Whos that Glyden?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #168
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I don't want Ayers to play 500+ snaps, especially not as the primary pass rusher on the defensive line in the base package, and I definitely do not want our passing situation defence to rely on a rookie. We currently have 1 player on the roster who has proven he can get consistent pass pressure, if we add a rookie that number doesn't change.

Ansah, Jordan and Werner are not going to drop to the late 20s, that leaves Damontre Moore, Cornelius Carradine and Alex Okafor as guys who have proven they can rush the passer in college. Damontre Moore wore down over a 12 game schedule in college and showed up in poor shape at the combine, Carradine got most of his production against some truly mediocre teams in the ACC and has only 2 years of NCAA experience, Okafor produced against good teams but is not nearly as athletic as most successful pass rushers tend to be and realistically will probably do better bulking up and playing on the left side as a power end. No other defensive end prospect has been able to crack double digit sacks against NCAA competition, so expecting them to do it in the pros is just lunacy.
i've said it in another thread, werner showing up in the mid 20's and as late as 30 in mock drafts lately. kiper put him at 30, mcshay 25. others too. his stock has slipped. might be within striking distance.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #169
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Whos that Glyden?
Lol yup. And the thing is, not many rookies (even high picks) get double digits their first year. If we can get a guy who can get 5-8 in his first year -- we did well. Von Miller was a surefire bet, someone at #28 isn't. How long did it take for Elvis to grow into the pass rusher he was? Couple years. People whining about replacing Dumervil in the draft don't have a clue.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #170
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Lol yup. And the thing is, not many rookies (even high picks) get double digits their first year. If we can get a guy who can get 5-8 in his first year -- we did well. Von Miller was a surefire bet, someone at #28 isn't. How long did it take for Elvis to grow into the pass rusher he was? Couple years. People whining about replacing Dumervil in the draft don't have a clue.
Exactly! You cannot be afraid of the draft! The future stars on the NFL are in the draft!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #171
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Elvis got 8.5 as a situational pass rusher his rookie year
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #172
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:

Exactly, this team is in better shape going into the draft than it has been in years.

S and RB are two of the easier positions to fill at the bottom of the round. That doesn't even take into consideration the fact that we might fleece some stupid team that gets desperate for a QB and trades back up to 28 to take Barkley (Bills) *cough* (Bills). Cards * cough * Cards. We're in a good position.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #173
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Elvis got 8.5 as a situational pass rusher his rookie year
All the more reason how good he is. Not many can do it but doom did. Shows his value
Old 03-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #174
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
All the more reason how good he is. Not many can do it but doom did. Shows his value
Doom's a free agent, fact.

His value it's $4 and change of dead money on our cap.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #175
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

Quote:
Doom's a free agent, fact.

His value it's $4 and change of dead money on our cap.
BMORE back with more epic flavor.

This board keeps getting dumber and dumber....
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote