The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #101
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
What he's saying Kaylore is that Dumervil and his agent were hoping the Broncos wouldn't release him while waiting on the new contract to be sent over, thus guaranteeing his 12 million for this year. If the Broncos didn't cut him at 1:59, but instead waited in good faith, the 12 million would be guaranteed.

The new faxed contract, arriving at 4:07, no longer would have replaced the old contract because the meeting of the minds for the entire purpose of the new contract would no longer have effect, that being to avoid the deadline and the 12 million guaranteed. The consideration and parameters have materially changed. Meaning both parties go back to the drawing board, but now Dumervil has all the leverage.

The Broncos were aware of this and had made it known to release him at 1:59 if no contract had been received.

Now, if that's what the plan really was, who knows. But, that's the point Enjolras is trying to make I believe.
I just cant imagine this would happen. it would be the most unprofessional move in the history of them.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #102
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
They absolutely can but the contract they had in place managed the 4.8Mill cap hit over a new deal. When Elvis got cut the 4.8 became a solid number, unmanageble under any new deal going forward.

If I was John I'd call Elvis tell him if he wants a new deal to stay a Bronco get a new agent.
Got it! There has to be some accountability to the agent because its definitely his screw-up.
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #103
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusPontmercy View Post
That's IF this was just all a colossal blunder by his agent.
Agreed, who knows but Elvis was texting friends telling them he was staying so his heart seems solid.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #104
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos-rock View Post
Got it! There has to be some accountability to the agent because its definitely his screw-up.
I agree the agent is very questionable in this scenario.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #105
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I just cant imagine this would happen. it would be the most unprofessional move in the history of them.
I tend to agree. The only way I can see this being the case is if Dumervil was really mad about being strong-armed and decided he was either going to get his 12 million one way or the other from Denver, or that he wanted to be released due to the treatment.

If that was his mindset, then this particular play by his agent allowed him the chance at 12 million, with the worst being the release which was also fine.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #106
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Vic Lombardi has it from several friends of Elvis that he'd told them personally he was going to remain a Bronco.

But then he told his agent not to send the fax?

Yeah. Not buying that.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #107
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
I tend to agree. The only way I can see this being the case is if Dumervil was really mad about being strong-armed and decided he was either going to get his 12 million one way or the other from Denver, or that he wanted to be released due to the treatment.

If that was his mindset, then this particular play by his agent allowed him the chance at 12 million, with the worst being the release which was also fine.
yeah, i guess. but this isn't trying to trick your friend into trading you a worthless baseball card. its a multimillion dollar contract
Old 03-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #108
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Vic Lombardi has it from several friends of Elvis that he'd told them personally he was going to remain a Bronco.

But then he told his agent not to send the fax?

Yeah. Not buying that.
Yeah I don't buy it either.

Radio guys said, they had heard the Broncos told the Dumervil camp to shop the offer this week, and they ended up realizing we offered the most. This was pure and simple agent incompetence it looks like.

It's a shame.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #109
DaFace
Resident Chiefs Lurker

Yep.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt

Talked to another team exec who talked to agent, who says Denver didn't send to new contract to him until 8 mins before deadline.

Guess we'll see who's at fault eventually. What a bizarre situation.
DaFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #110
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Just spoke Elvis Dumervil's agent. He's pointing the finger back at the Broncos. Writing it up now.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #111
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

If the Broncos and Dumervil want to honor the original terms of the renegotiation, it can be easily done. All they have to do is instead of giving him $8M guaranteed in 2013, is give him $3.2M in guaranteed salary plus a $4.8M signing bonus. Then just add whatever the 2014 and 15 terms were and this while CF becomes completely cap neutral.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #112
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Of course he will say that, he likes getting paid and would like other players. **** it, let's just move on. Sucks that we eat that dead money, and now will have a cascading effect on draft plans, etc.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #113
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
You seem like a pretty intelligent guy too. Why would Elvis pull this, rather than just decline the extension and go elsewhere?

It makes him look bad. Makes his agent look bad.

What's more likely: that Elvis helped hatch this diabolical scheme? Or that his agent -- who has only one big time client and works out of that hotbed of contract negotiations middle Pennsylvania -- is a ****ing moron?
My contention is that the Pennsylvania ****ing moron agent in the middle of nowhere tried to pull a fast one by allowing the deadline to lapse, thus ensuring his only big time client would retain his bloated NFL contract. He didn't realize (because he's a moron) that he was dealing with a room full of Ivy League MBA peanut counters and a Stanford graduate who know how to tell accurate time. Whether or not Doom was aware of that remains to be seen. Either way it makes him and his agent look terrible. Do you really believe that even a ****ty NFL agent and his people can't scan a document into a PDF file and email it as an attachment? My guess is there were probably a dozen or more texts sent by the FO to the agent in the minutes leading up to the deadline. I'd love to read them .

This basically the agent equivalent of trying to throw an extra chip on the craps table when you think nobody is looking.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #114
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

A finger pointing game. GREAT! This is why you sign with a real agent, Elvis.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #115
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
Of course he will say that, he likes getting paid and would like other players. **** it, let's just move on. Sucks that we eat that dead money, and now will have a cascading effect on draft plans, etc.
It was what we were planning to do anyway. Elvis needs to fire this guy and renogotiate a decent longer term deal if he wants to stay.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #116
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yep this agent is now officially done in the NFL.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #117
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Yeah, a team full of high level NFL contract attornies, professional legal secretaries, front officer executives with the best technology money can buy

OR

A nobody agent in the middle of Pennsylvania whose website hasn't been updated since 2008.

I wonder who I'm going to believe?
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #118
DaFace
Resident Chiefs Lurker

Yep.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilentRunDeep View Post
If the Broncos and Dumervil want to honor the original terms of the renegotiation, it can be easily done. All they have to do is instead of giving him $8M guaranteed in 2013, is give him $3.2M in guaranteed salary plus a $4.8M signing bonus. Then just add whatever the 2014 and 15 terms were and this while CF becomes completely cap neutral.
Signing bonuses are prorated across the length of the contract. Your scenario would spread the impact out a bit so that it's not as big of a deal this year, but it'll then have a minor impact on each of the future years. You can't just call something a salary bonus and ignore it for cap purposes.

Last edited by DaFace; 03-15-2013 at 03:17 PM..
DaFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #119
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #120
Rolandftw

Course the agent isn't going to admit blame. Would never have a chance of getting a client again. Hard to believe the Broncos are that stupid to where they are at blame here though.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #121
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The really annoying thing to me is that there are these things called cell phones... And they don't use the same lines as faxes anymore... So, at any point during that 35 minutes, either frigging side could have called the other and said, "What the hell are you doing" They are making it sound like they just hung up the phone, and then stood staring at the fax machine completely helpless.
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #122
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi

I'm told Elvis is irate. He thought he was a Bronco a 1:55.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #123
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

At least he's still got those Travis Henry residuals rolling in. This guy will certainly get decertified for this, the NFLPA doesn't **** around with this stuff
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #124
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
‏@ClaytonESPN
What a mess in Denver. They must have filed the Welker contract and gone over the cap. So Elvis has left the roster.
I know this isn't really the issue of the thread, but this is absolutely terrible reporting by Clayton.

The League wouldnt have cleared Welker's contract if it took the Broncos over the cap. Teams can't be over the cap when the new league year starts until after the season is over. If a team somehow goes over the cap, the League voids the most recent contract filed and keeps going until a team is back under the cap.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #125
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

It sounds like the agent is now pointing the finger back at the Broncos. I think we can easily find out who is lying by what Elvis does next.
If he (Elvis) really is irate at his agent for playing games, then he will immediately fire his agent and sign a replacement contract with the Broncos that makes everyone happy.

If his agent is still employed over the weekend and shopping Elvis to the highest bidder, then either Elvis is complicent in the ruse, or the Broncos are ****ing liers. Hard to believe the latter. I beleive Elway is a man of integrity, but I can't say the same for Elvis' agent.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote