The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Poll: So, How's the outlook for our species?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
So, How's the outlook for our species?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default How's the Outlook?

Glass half empty or half full kind of question. Not the short term stuff like economics and politics, but how do you think it will turn out for the species? Will we make it? Will we solve all our problems and reach the Promised Land? Will we get beyond our own nature, our mishandling of the environment, our internecine warfare, and all the other ills that beset us, or will we succumb to the darker angels of our nature and spiral down into self-destruction. Or is some kind of global disaster inevitable (asteroid, virus, etc.) so what's the point? Yes, I know the sun will someday expand and consume all the planets, but that's about 4 billion years away. I'm talking the next few thousand years. Maybe ten thousand. Will we get that far?

Last edited by Rohirrim; 03-20-2013 at 08:08 AM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,384
Default

There is nothing short of an earth-destroying asteroid that will knock out every last human being on earth, and the ones who survive over time, whether it be surviving the natural process in a future where humankind gets past war and all that, or one in a post-apocalyptic nightmare straight out of Terminator, the end result will be the same, further evolution of the most intelligent, highly-evolved creature in the solar system.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Yeah. I tend to go with the optimistic outlook. Put it this way, two thousand years ago we would have been sitting in an arena watching beasts literally tearing people apart while we cheered. Now, we just watch that **** on TV. So, we've made a lot of progress. Things can only get better.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,315

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Considering that ~ 99.9% of all past life forms have become extinct, I don't see why humans think they are special and can avoid it. Life span for a species is roughly 10,000,000 years -- and we aren't really close to that, so I think we have some time. However, past hominins have suffered the same fate, so I would suppose that Homo sapiens are going to follow the same route. It is just a matter of time. Couldn't guess when.

There are a variety of huge challenges (which you alluded to) that could do us in. I think it is realistic that at some point down the road, another more intelligent, evolved (likely hominin) form will replace humans. We aren't as special as we think we are. . .
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Considering that ~ 99.9% of all past life forms have become extinct, I don't see why humans think they are special and can avoid it. Life span for a species is roughly 10,000,000 years -- and we aren't really close to that, so I think we have some time. However, past hominins have suffered the same fate, so I would suppose that Homo sapiens are going to follow the same route. It is just a matter of time. Couldn't guess when.

There are a variety of huge challenges (which you alluded to) that could do us in. I think it is realistic that at some point down the road, another more intelligent, evolved (likely hominin) form will replace humans. We aren't as special as we think we are. . .
I figure our ace in the hole is that at some point we will be able to migrate from this planet. That will expand our odds exponentially.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,315

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I figure our ace in the hole is that at some point we will be able to migrate from this planet. That will expand our odds exponentially.
The trouble is finding a planet like ours where life can be sustained. I've read stuff about Gliese 581 and an earth-like planet there which is 120 trillion miles away (roughly 20 light years). Too bad I won't be around to see us make the trek and unfortunately if and when it happens, not everyone will be able to go.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
The trouble is finding a planet like ours where life can be sustained. I've read stuff about Gliese 581 and an earth-like planet there which is 120 trillion miles away (roughly 20 light years). Too bad I won't be around to see us make the trek and unfortunately if and when it happens, not everyone will be able to go.
There have got to be billions of them. We just have to solve the technological issues. I'm sure humans couldn't have imagined a 747 just two hundred years ago. Science has expanded exponentially since then. I can't think of a stronger fantasy I could come up with than the idea of finding an Earth-like planet with no sentient life forms and being the first to explore it.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Arkie
Ring of Famer
 
Arkie's Avatar
 
The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 10,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Yeah. I tend to go with the optimistic outlook. Put it this way, two thousand years ago we would have been sitting in an arena watching beasts literally tearing people apart while we cheered. Now, we just watch that **** on TV. So, we've made a lot of progress. Things can only get better.
The human species will survive and be better off 2000 years from now, but America is on a parallel path to Rome.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
The human species will survive and be better off 2000 years from now, but America is on a parallel path to Rome.
We're making some of the same mistakes.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,267
Default

The lack of a smooth transition of leaders is what doomed the Romans. At one point in a short span after Commodus was killed they had like 20 emperors all murdered in a row lol. Really not much of a comparison to the USA but people like to make it. It's exciting to think we are that important.

Then also one time a very smart person told me that towards the end of the Roman Empire the legions became slow because the failed to build an effective cavalry. Don't know if that is true or not but it sounds good.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The lack of a smooth transition of leaders is what doomed the Romans. At one point in a short span after Commodus was killed they had like 20 emperors all murdered in a row lol. Really not much of a comparison to the USA but people like to make it. It's exciting to think we are that important.

Then also one time a very smart person told me that towards the end of the Roman Empire the legions became slow because the failed to build an effective cavalry. Don't know if that is true or not but it sounds good.
Not being able to handle transition is a much more minor cause than what we're talking about, which is the imperialization and overextension of the empire.

This has happened multiple times in history because ultimately not only is the civilization no longer able to support its vast population, but it also creates a system of rulers and subjects, regardless of how benevolently they tried to rule. The decision to offer citizenship to conquered cultures actually enforced these divisions rather than erased them, and caused irreparable harm and in fighting to the empire, which was still able to survive for a few hundred years because of the infrastructure that they spent untold millions of dollars worth of man hours on...work all done by the military, btw.

The Romans were much better off as a Republic. If anything, look at the military fighting effectiveness of the legion then vs. during the days of the empire.

Youre pretty wrong though, cut. There are scads of comparisons between the Romans and the US. Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it. I'd suggest you pick up a history book or twelve next time before offering your opinion, especially with a smarmy little lol in it like you got some good inside info.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:03 PM.


Denver Broncos