The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Drafting a RB

Now that we have filled many holes with FA's, and none so far have been RB's, I think the draft is where the Broncos will be looking to pick up their starting RB this coming season.

It looks like Lacy on most mock drafts is going in the mid-second round, and Ball is not that far behind him, mid-second or late second.

I think you clearly go after Lacy. You've got to find somewhat to move up in the 2nd round. I still think you use that 1st rounder for BPA (probably either DT or CB). Would you trade your 3rd rounder to move up and get Lacy in the 2nd? Or do you hope that Ball is there when we pick round 2?

You're not gonna find a MLB that's any good in this draft, well not worth drafting in rounds 1-3. You just signed Welker so you don't have a big time need at WR. I think you make a move for Lacy. If we landed Lacy in the 2nd by giving up a 3rd and got a quality CB or DT in the 1st, no matter who we get later in the draft, with all the nice FA's we signed, wow - what an offseason. Primed for a big time run.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I would still take Jesse Williams in the first if he's still on the board.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Now with DRC signed. I really don't know who we are going to draft in the first round. Maybe, a MLB like T'eo or Minter, but I really want us to draft a Safety.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Pass on Lacy. Get Le'Veon Bell.

Betting RB/LB/DB/Pass Rusher are our top four selections.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

I just want them to get their #1 runningback of choice in the draft!! Trade whatever picks move what you have to but get him and this team will rock!!
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The most successful teams in the draft year after year stick to the BPA left on their board and do not look at position so much which tends to make teams reach and make poor decisions. The Broncos have more than one position where they could use a young talent, so focusing on one position or 2 would be a mistake. There's also a chance someone they like but figure will be gone by their pick could drop too. Seeing how so many good RB's there are out there who were not 1st rounders makes me believe it is a mistake to draft one unless that RB is deemed an all-world type back or something who can dominate. Otherwise, draft one later in the draft.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

RB is where I wanted the Broncos to go all along with the #1 or #2 pick. Make it happen John.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

The other guy I would be fine with at 28 would be Jamar Taylor at FS.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Pass on Lacy. Get Le'Veon Bell.

Betting RB/LB/DB/Pass Rusher are our top four selections.
I'd be happy with either, but Bell is almost certainly going to be there later than Lacy so he may end up being better value. All I know is that this offense needs a big, powerful back to move the chains and eat up the clock (because we all know Fox is going to try to do that every game once we have a decent lead, no matter who our back is).
Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
The most successful teams in the draft year after year stick to the BPA left on their board and do not look at position so much which tends to make teams reach and make poor decisions. The Broncos have more than one position where they could use a young talent, so focusing on one position or 2 would be a mistake. There's also a chance someone they like but figure will be gone by their pick could drop too. Seeing how so many good RB's there are out there who were not 1st rounders makes me believe it is a mistake to draft one unless that RB is deemed an all-world type back or something who can dominate. Otherwise, draft one later in the draft.
The Broncos are trying to complete their roster so they can win a Super Bowl now. Drafting strictly based on BPA is likely to be counter-productive to that. That said they should definitely try to get the best value in the process of getting the guys they feel they need, so if they are targeting Lacy, for instance, they might be well-advised to trade down from the late 1st to the early or mid 2nd (wherever they are relatively confident he will fall).
Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Now that we have filled many holes with FA's, and none so far have been RB's, I think the draft is where the Broncos will be looking to pick up their starting RB this coming season.

It looks like Lacy on most mock drafts is going in the mid-second round, and Ball is not that far behind him, mid-second or late second.

I think you clearly go after Lacy. You've got to find somewhat to move up in the 2nd round. I still think you use that 1st rounder for BPA (probably either DT or CB). Would you trade your 3rd rounder to move up and get Lacy in the 2nd? Or do you hope that Ball is there when we pick round 2?

You're not gonna find a MLB that's any good in this draft, well not worth drafting in rounds 1-3. You just signed Welker so you don't have a big time need at WR. I think you make a move for Lacy. If we landed Lacy in the 2nd by giving up a 3rd and got a quality CB or DT in the 1st, no matter who we get later in the draft, with all the nice FA's we signed, wow - what an offseason. Primed for a big time run.
Forget Lacy and Ball and giving up picks to get them. Get Le'Veon Bell at the end of the 2nd and enjoy the best back in this draft.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The Broncos are trying to complete their roster so they can win a Super Bowl now. Drafting strictly based on BPA is likely to be counter-productive to that. That said they should definitely try to get the best value in the process of getting the guys they feel they need, so if they are targeting Lacy, for instance, they might be well-advised to trade down from the late 1st to the early or mid 2nd (wherever they are relatively confident he will fall).
I just don't want them to dance around and lose their guy. Got the feeling last year they got too cute and missed Martin. We don't have that luxury this year. get the impact guy or two and be done...hell with the RB rotation they have maybe Lacy and Leveon should be targets.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
Agamemnon

Here's a question regarding Lacy vs Bell that I'm hoping someone can answer. I've seen enough of their running to feel that Lacy is the better all-around runner while Bell has the edge in power, but does anyone know who is better in pass protection? I really haven't seen much from either in that department. Whatever rookie back we draft needs to be able to protect Manning or he won't be able to get on the field consistently.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

They both need work in pass protection. Bell had a podcast with Scott Wright the other day and said that is what he knows he needs to improve upon to get to the next level and be an every down guy, but thinks his experience in a pro-style system will help translate to the next level. I would say that Bell is better than Lacy.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
They both need work in pass protection. Bell had a podcast with Scott Wright the other day and said that is what he knows he needs to improve upon to get to the next level and be an every down guy, but thinks his experience in a pro-style system will help translate to the next level. I would say that Bell is better than Lacy.
Do you think Bell is good enough that he'll be able to figure it out by the time the playoffs come around? Having a big all-around back who isn't a liability in pass protection is key for us once the playoffs start.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #16
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Here's a question regarding Lacy vs Bell that I'm hoping someone can answer. I've seen enough of their running to feel that Lacy is the better all-around runner while Bell has the edge in power, but does anyone know who is better in pass protection? I really haven't seen much from either in that department. Whatever rookie back we draft needs to be able to protect Manning or he won't be able to get on the field consistently.
I watched every Michigan State game and Bell this last year. He has the ability to make holes when none exist and thrived with a subpar offensive line. He's a very solid guy and doesn't get moved off blocks. Michigan State seems to throw the ball more than Alabama so I'm sure he's got experience over lacy in that regard. We had a horrid underclassman as a QB this year so I'm not sure if you can judge too much on some of the sacks that were given up.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I hate drafting running backs in the first round.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

No RB in the first round when you have a bunch you u can get in the 2-4th round!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
KevinJames
DT

take a chance on Lattimore in the 4th or 3rd round?
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusPontmercy View Post
I hate drafting running backs in the first round.
Well be happy then, because we probably won't have to. Lacy is probably going to fall into the 2nd round due to missing the combine and his pro day, so most likely we can trade down or up if we want him in the 2nd. Meanwhile Le'veon Bell is probably going to be there at our second rounder, and if we are really lucky we might even be able to get him in the 3rd (not holding my breath).
Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #21
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Klis said that RB, S, and 3rd QB is on our FA wish list. Looking at the scrubs left for RB, one would think RB is higher on the draft list now.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

Top RB Deals of the 2013 Draft:

1) Stephon Jefferson - Nevada. #2 leading rusher in the nation. 24 TD's 1800+ rush yds
2) Kenjon Barner - Oregon. #4 overall rusher in the nation. Undersize, but looking great in combines
3) Jonathan Franklin - UCLA. 6.15 yds per rush. Impressive in combines and Senior Bowl
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #23
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
take a chance on Lattimore in the 4th or 3rd round?
In the 3rd? No thanks. In the 4th? Maybe, but he better be the second back we pick or we better have signed a meaningful free agent prior to the draft.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #24
Cache Glades
Just Drafted

How about our 2nd for Fred Jackson? Boom. Splash.
Cache Glades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #25
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cache Glades View Post
How about our 2nd for Fred Jackson? Boom. Splash.
Not sure he's any better than Mcgahee and not for a 2nd.

I really like Franklin. He seems like an all round, 20 carries type of guy.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote