The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #51
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamChowdah View Post
Yes they did he had just won a Super Bowl MVP, what would you know anyway about the Boston media 7 years ago?

Do you remember 7 year old articles from the Boston Herald?
the Herald said Branch caught 672 passes in 6 years in Foxboro?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #52
Bacchus

1. Peyton Manning and Wes Welker. If you can't play for Tom Brady, why not team up with another quarterback headed to Canton? Welker will, and pity poor San Diego. The Bolts get to be reminded twice every year that gave Welker his start by cutting him in 2004.

Brady without Welker. He just subtracted 72 first-down catches from his game plan.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...slot-receivers
Old 03-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #53
Bacchus

Welker deal among signs Broncos are in Super Bowl-or-bust mode

By Jason La Canfora | CBS Sports NFL Insider

Welker deal among signs Broncos are in Super Bowl-or-bust mode
By Jason La Canfora | CBS Sports NFL Insider
March 14, 2013 12:54 pm ET

The Broncos have already made another splash in free agency, adding Wes Welker to a big free agent class a year after securing Peyton Manning. However, knowing Manning's window is brief given his age and neck situation, they are all-in trying to win now.

Several league sources said the Broncos realize they may have to dismantle a good chunk of their roster within the next few years, and the big contracts could eventually lead to a purge the likes of which the Ravens and Steelers are going through now. But Denver is not done adding players even after the addition of Welker, Terrance Knighton and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and the franchising of left tackle Ryan Clady.

They still want to address pass rusher and will release Elvis Dumervil if he does not take a reduced salary rather than pay him $12 million, with Connor Barwin, Dwight Freeney and Richard Seymour among the potential targets. They still could add depth in the secondary as well, according to a league source.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #54
B-Large

An interesting post from screen name Marino on the King Article... food for thought, although I think the Pats screwed to dog on this.... but its was at least a well thoughout reasoning....

Give the Pats credit for this: They recognized that running the same offense they've been running with Welker as the focal point wasn't getting them where the want to be. At a certain point, getting the band back together year after year is pointless if the band isn't getting the job done.

Some franchises that come close but fall short keep trying the same thing over and over, thinking next year it'll work. It rarely works. The Pats have tried this offense for six years. It wins a lot of regular season games and then it has a bad day in the playoffs and that's it. Look at the point totals in their recent playoff losses: 14, 21, 17, 13. Welker wasn't the problem, but an offense based on him catching a ton of short balls clearly wasn't the solution, either. Teams that have won it all recently have all had effective vertical passing games.

They'll miss him at plenty of times, and they might not find whatever it is they do need, but they're not wrong to try something else and try to get more dynamic.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2NXYqhEe9
Old 03-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #55
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
An interesting post from screen name Marino on the King Article... food for thought, although I think the Pats screwed to dog on this.... but its was at least a well thoughout reasoning....

Give the Pats credit for this: They recognized that running the same offense they've been running with Welker as the focal point wasn't getting them where the want to be. At a certain point, getting the band back together year after year is pointless if the band isn't getting the job done.

Some franchises that come close but fall short keep trying the same thing over and over, thinking next year it'll work. It rarely works. The Pats have tried this offense for six years. It wins a lot of regular season games and then it has a bad day in the playoffs and that's it. Look at the point totals in their recent playoff losses: 14, 21, 17, 13. Welker wasn't the problem, but an offense based on him catching a ton of short balls clearly wasn't the solution, either. Teams that have won it all recently have all had effective vertical passing games.

They'll miss him at plenty of times, and they might not find whatever it is they do need, but they're not wrong to try something else and try to get more dynamic.

well that's wierd....no mention of the mediocre defenses the patriots try to win with every year.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #56
B-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post

well that's wierd....no mention of the mediocre defenses the patriots try to win with every year.
Good point- somebody else remarked that the money Brady freed up in cap should go to Defense...
Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #57
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
He does make a fair point. But you could argue that the Pats had, to at least a certain extent, the elements for a "vertical passing game" with Brandon Lloyd. Just as Denver does with DT and Decker.

And it's not like the Pats got blown out by Baltimore. The Ravens made a few key plays, the Pats didn't. Not really the fault of their offensive scheme, particularly considering they were missing Gronkowski.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #58
B-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
He does make a fair point. But you could argue that the Pats had, to at least a certain extent, the elements for a "vertical passing game" with Brandon Lloyd. Just as Denver does with DT and Decker.

And it's not like the Pats got blown out by Baltimore. The Ravens made a few key plays, the Pats didn't. Not really the fault of their offensive scheme, particularly considering they were missing Gronkowski.
Yep, that's why I gave the edge to "The Patriots ****ed up"... you simply can't lose a Welker and claim the team is improved... will it force them to be a different offense in some way, sure, but that doesn't mean better either.

I don't know the substance behind Brady struggling with deep balls, but if that is true, Welker gone is gonna hurt....
Old 03-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #59
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Personally, I think it was a win-win for all parties. NE gets amendola, a talented, up and coming guy that has production and time on his side. Denver gets the best slot guy in the game. Amendola hits it relatively big and has Brady--the star maker--throwing it to him. Welker also gets 12 mil out of it and now has the other star maker, Peyton Manning, throwing it to him.

The only loser is that fat welker fan chick on you tube from chowda-land.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #60
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:

So the Patriots are smart for trying to change offensive philosphy by not having Welker as a focal point, so they go out and sign a younger wannabe of him? Do they plan on Amendola streaking down the sidelines for them?
winstoncup bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #61
B-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
So the Patriots are smart for trying to change offensive philosphy by not having Welker as a focal point, so they go out and sign a younger wannabe of him? Do they plan on Amendola streaking down the sidelines for them?
I assume in that instance they would have to draft a long ball kid, a burner who can get deep opposite Brandon Lloyd....

The more I think of that post, the more I think that it is bunk in a sense. The difference in AFC Champinship games and Super Bowls is often a blown coverage, a sack, a fumble, a miraculous play... at least it seems to be in the clsoe games... so if you are that close all the time, meaning the Pats are almost always in it till the end, does changing an offense philosophy really deliver the win next time? Or is just happenstance, you just happen to **** up one less play, or a bounce goes your way??

You could see clearly how much Manning loved having sure-hand stokley around... I just can't imagine Brady go to cat being gone is going to improve them in anyway... it will atke time for Brady to sync up with Amendola, just like it too time for Manning to get Decker and Thomas un****ed.

I don't know, I guess the same can be said for Manning and Welker. I gotta say I pumped welker is here, most Pats fans agree and I know for sure the AFCE East agrees... (welker had over 200 yards per game against the Bills last year... how do you let production like that walk? I mean it was the BIlls, but damn)
Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #62
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

The whole "changing offensive philosophies and Welker didn't fit into it" is a PR move. Nothing more. Think about it. If it were true, they would've told Welker awhile ago and they never would've gone through the back and forth yesterday.

They made him an offer. Lowball or not, you don't do that if you are truly changing to some new system where you have determined that he won't be needed.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #63
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
I never compared the players i compared the media in Boston reacting unfavorably to losing both of them.

You're right, you can't compare a guy who won a Super Bowl MVP to a guy who dropped a Super Bowl
I still think that pass was not placed well and it was too high. Fact is Brady is the one who has been choking in big games of late. He looked tired and hummiliated in the Raven's loss. Good luck with your new set of used china.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #64
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

NE obviously wasn't that interested in re-signing him. I don't really see $1m per season for a guy like Welker as a deal breaker. They were prepared to move on if he didn't accept their fair offer.

All the backdoor politics, I don't know, I don't follow what happens with NE over the past 2 years, or ever really. People have bad blood all the time when changing employers.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #65
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Why?

We didn't want him we had an opportunity to match the 2 years/$12m, i trust Belichick he is the one who has taken us to 5 Super Bowls and won 3 of them.

I'm not a fan who thinks i know more about football than a HOF coach.

10 years in a row of winning 10 or more games, i trust my coach!
You did NOT have an opportunity to match the offer. Welker was the one who, in the end, didn't WANT the Patriots. In the article, it said Welker did not ask the Patriots to match the offer. He wanted out. Face the facts. And now seeing you here throwing him under the bus like that, wow, looks like you have the same loyalty the Pats FO has towards players.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #66
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Well then Broncos fans are deluded because Peyton has a history of choking in the playoffs and playing awful in cold weather and you think he is suddenly going to change?
Great points except this team is stacked. Stronger up the middle, not even sure Peyton gets dirty this year.

But the point is hacks like Johnson and Dilfer won Superbowls and despite the fact Manning seems to regress in the postseason, his worst game is still light years ahead of those guys best. His 80 something passer rating might just be enough to get it done in a team effort.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #67
canadianbroncosfan

Quote:
Why?

We didn't want him we had an opportunity to match the 2 years/$12m, i trust Belichick he is the one who has taken us to 5 Super Bowls and won 3 of them.

You forgot the asterisk
Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #68
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Why?

We? They had you in on the discussions? Belichick didn't. This isn't about the Boston media. Although this article is from the Boston media, articles such as this popped up all over. They didn't with Branch. Maybe because Branch wasn't lied to.

BTW, I love how you've gone from "3 SB's" to 10 years of winning 10 or more games. Tell me, what was the difference between the Chiefs and the Patriots in the SB last year? Not a got damn thing. What I don't get is your disappearing act last year after all your predictions.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #69
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Amendola has played in 65% of his games to Welker's 98% due to injury.
To be fair, the Patriots were lucky that Welker's ACL blowout took place in week 17. Amendola's elbow dislocation was in week 1 and then had later complications.

Amendola seems to be more fragile than Welker, but the numbers have some element of luck in them as well.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #70
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000][I][B]Give the Pats credit for this: They recognized that running the same offense they've been running with Welker as the focal point wasn't getting them where the want to be. At a certain point, getting the band back together year after year is pointless if the band isn't getting the job done.

I'm not buying this. The Patriots may or may not be making a offensive philosophy change, but if they are, replacing Welker with Amendola doesn't offer any proof of it and seems to contradict it. These two guys are clones separated by 6 or 7 years and recent productivity. They play the same position the same way, went to the same college, same size, same draft position, same journeyman episodes, they are (clap hands demonstratively) IIIIIIDENTICAL!

This is a classic Patriots move that I don't think will play out that badly for them. They will find other ways to be productive, or maybe the same way with a new player. Sucks for Welker fans though. I love being able to reminisce on Rod Smith with such "purity"...

I do think that this fell into the Broncos hands in a way that will be more advantageous than say Branch to the Seahawks or Samuels. This is a douse of gravy for the Broncos, without reaching with a huge contract. Welker and Manning are intriguing to say the least.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #71
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Well then Broncos fans are deluded because Peyton has a history of choking in the playoffs and playing awful in cold weather and you think he is suddenly going to change?

I think we will score 35-40 points a game average and will shore up the defense as well................

I also think when Brady retires that you and Bellicheat will become irrelevant just like before .................
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #72
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Chowda trying to spin this is amusing. Welker isn't gone because of football. He's gone because of a personality conflict with his best WR. Meanwhile you now have the Rams WR....good luck with that. mcDaniels ruining your team just like he did ours. His poppy Billy Boy think Boy Wonder knows what he is talking about.

How you can spin losing a 100 catch a yr veteran chain moving slot WR is a joke. And Welker didn't give a chance to match. He made his decision based on what team he thought had a better chance to win. He knows that it's almost over for the pats.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #73
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Why?

So why even talk football then? You just said it plain and clear no matter how bad a move might seem you will say its a great move because you trust Bill Billicheat 100% So why should we even listen to your takes? All you do is say Bill Billicheck can do no wrong, he won Superbowls, so Welker mut not be worth it. Thats crazy. Your coach is a good one but this move seems to be about a personality conflict. Almost like Bill Bellicheck has his rings so he can just afford to hurt the team. He's not super hungry because fans like you still worship him.

Besides Welker went to Denver and passed on the pats offer. He made a choice to go with the better team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-wants-to-win/
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #74
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Sounds like ClamChowdah is butt-hurt that we just took a 5 time Pro-Bowler and 4 time All-Pro and threw him in our slot.
but, but he dropped that pass in the Super Bowl!

His replacement has never sniffed the Super Bowl and won't be able to duplicate Welker's stats.
Chowda comes out crying as probably the only Pats fan ok with losing him over $1 million per year.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote