The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,355
Default Mendenhall, Knighton, DRC, Freeney & other potential targets

Four players to keep an eye on with respect to the Broncos according to various sources.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ague-year-lard

Last edited by TonyR; 03-12-2013 at 08:49 AM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,480
Default

Not a fan of Mendenhall but if the price was right on those other 3, I'd be ecstatic (say the money saved from cutting DJ, Hanie, and hopefully Mays).

Freeney's a shell of his former self but if you brought him in on 3rd downs, he could give you some good reps.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,386
Default

Knighton should be a no brainer deal that gets done quickly.

Mendenhall is an idiot. Stephen Jackson > Reggie Bush > draft. That should be the RB acquisition hierarchy right now.

DRC is a worthwhile option for #2/#3 CB. We need someone solid to go legitimately three deep at CB, Carter is a good dime, ok nickel, if injury pushes him into the starting two we're in trouble.

The whole 'cut Doom, sign Freeney' bull**** sure makes you feel like this team turned into the Denver Mannings last year doesn't it?
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
The whole 'cut Doom, sign Freeney' bull**** sure makes you feel like this team turned into the Denver Mannings last year doesn't it?
I suppose to an extent. But I'd expect Freeney to be part of a rotation that "replaces" Doom, not remotely a direct replacement.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 22,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh
Default

Knighton, DRC = good signings

Freeney = no, but he will be a part of rotation. Go after Osi.

Mendenhall = lukewarm on him.

Knighton, DRC and Steven Jackson. Maybe someone nobody is talkign about. Call it a rap. Get the jimmy hats.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
kent156
King of the Ants
 
kent156's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Paradise lost
Posts: 735
Default

so who is covering the tight ends again?
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
Bmore Manning
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Knighton/Hill, DRC/Lewis, Jackson/Bush, Bennett/Osi, Mikell
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent156 View Post
so who is covering the tight ends again?
Dude from Cleveland.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,355
Default

More thoughts on Doom, and a Freeney/Ayers rotation replacing him, here:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...nd-the-broncos
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I suppose to an extent. But I'd expect Freeney to be part of a rotation that "replaces" Doom, not remotely a direct replacement.
Yep. I'd imagine Ayers (who, by the way, looked excellent in his limited snaps last season), Malik Jackson and Hunter will compete for the starting job, and they'd use Freeney as a situational player.

Fans don't like the unknown. "How can the let Doom go, Ayers sucks!!!111!!" But that's the trick with being a GM. Sometimes you have to trust your player evaluations and roll the dice on the unknown in order to be cost effective. You just can't keep Doom at a $12 million base salary. Call it being "cheap" if you want, but I doubt any team in the league would keep him at that number. So, why not just restructure? Well, players don't lose money in a typical restructure. There have their base salaries converted into bonuses/guaranteed money to help with the cap, and you just kick the costs down the road. Denver obviously doesn't want to make another expensive long-term commitment to a guy closing in on 30. Are we going to have a single player step in and replace Doom's production as a pass rusher? Doubtful. But we've got a couple of promising young players (unproven though they may be), and if we add a vet to the mix, maybe we can replicate the production in a more cost-effective platoon (and probably improve the run defense). And then we can use the savings to improve other areas of the club that would otherwise have to go neglected or filled with unappealing options. I like Doom as much as anyone, but I understand the business side. You can't keep him at $12 million. And from Doom's perspective, he's got a chance to get what will probably be his last chance at a big payday with big guaranteed numbers.

It'd be nice if chicken-littles would try to look at the bigger picture.

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 03-12-2013 at 06:50 AM..
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #11
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 22,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh
Default

JDR has always liked Ayers. Ayers and Jackson please. Get rid of Jason Hunter for real.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #12
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco
 
eddie mac's Avatar
 
Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 16,824

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Was speaking to Knighton last night on twitter. He wouldn't exactly be drawn on where he was going but he lol when I said he'd love the Rockies.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Yep. I'd imagine Ayers (who, by the way, looked excellent in his limited snaps last season), Malik Jackson and Hunter will compete for the starting job, and they'd use Freeney as a situational player.

Fans don't like the unknown. "How can the let Doom go, Ayers sucks!!!111!!" But that's the trick with being a GM. Sometimes you have to trust your player evaluations and roll the dice on the unknown in order to be cost effective. You just can't keep Doom at a $12 million base salary. Call it being "cheap" if you want, but I doubt any team in the league would keep him at that number. So, why not just restructure? Well, players don't lose money in a typical restructure. There have their base salaries converted into bonuses/guaranteed money to help with the cap, and you just kick the costs down the road. Denver obviously doesn't want to make another expensive long-term commitment to a guy closing in on 30. Are we going to have a single player step in and replace Doom's production as a pass rusher? Doubtful. But we've got a couple of promising young players (unproven though they may be), and if we add a vet to the mix, maybe we can replicate the production in a more cost-effective platoon (and probably improve the run defense). And then we can use the savings to improve other areas of the club that would otherwise have to go neglected or filled with unappealing options. I like Doom as much as anyone, but I understand the business side. You can't keep him at $12 million. And from Doom's perspective, he's got a chance to get what will probably be his last chance at a big payday with big guaranteed numbers.

It'd be nice if chicken-littles would try to look at the bigger picture.
Ayers was a 1st round pick right? Time to step up, and prove it.
Mayock said Ayers had the most upside of any player in that draft i believe.
I just cant see how in the world DEN could pay Doom 12 mil. for 1 year.
Thats just plain nuts, and isnt happening.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #14
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,233

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
JDR has always liked Ayers. Ayers and Jackson please. Get rid of Jason Hunter for real.
He is a free agent and I really wouldn't expect him back.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #15
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I suppose to an extent. But I'd expect Freeney to be part of a rotation that "replaces" Doom, not remotely a direct replacement.
Any rotation we put together will be be a significantly inferior pass rush thread, which is the big thing we need from our weakside DE opposite Miller.

And I say this as probably the biggest Robert Ayers promoter on this board. If they believe in Ayers' future then give him more time in rotation with Doom and Wolfe.

This franchise spent a decade in pass rush HELL during Shanahan's tenure. He stumbled on Doom in the middle of the '06 draft and since then Doom has been the one consistent producer from our front seven. Now that we're finally building around him and Miller it would be a step back any way you slice it to drop him.

Get Knighton, make Wolfe put on 10-15 pounds to play primarily at DT, let Ayers and Jackson split time with Doom at weakside DE while also sharing all the snaps on the strong side. Problem solved and we're likely a better front four as a result.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #16
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 18,457

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

We needed to cut doom to sign knighton, drc, and mendenhall?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #17
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
And I say this as probably the biggest Robert Ayers promoter on this board. If they believe in Ayers' future then give him more time in rotation with Doom and Wolfe.
If you're paying Doom $12 million, he's got to be on the field for 3 downs. You can't justify that salary for a situational pass rusher, which is probably how Denver would prefer to use and pay him at this point.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #18
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 22,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh
Default

I see the Negative Nancy Dumervil crowd is up bright and early, serving up their morning brew. . . yawn.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
If you're paying Doom $12 million, he's got to be on the field for 3 downs. You can't justify that salary for a situational pass rusher, which is probably how Denver would prefer to use and pay him at this point.
Yup. Others have already posted it, but this article (if you agree with their analysis) tries to help at least partly explain why Doom isn't worth $12 million in the Broncos' scheme.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ush-repertoire
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #20
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 18,457

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I see the Negative Nancy Dumervil crowd is up bright and early, serving up their morning brew. . . yawn.
I'm not even against cutting him. I'm just wondering if the three above will be THAT expensive And is joe mays still on this team?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #21
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
If you're paying Doom $12 million, he's got to be on the field for 3 downs. You can't justify that salary for a situational pass rusher, which is probably how Denver would prefer to use and pay him at this point.
That isn't how they played Doom last season though. You can't argue that he should get paid less because he should be in a situational role when you just used him as a three down DE for the entire last season.

He's getting paid for the job you've got him doing. In 2014 that goes down to $10M, and in 2015 it goes down to $8M. There's accounting for moving him into a situational role and age related decline built into his contract already.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #22
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I see the Negative Nancy Dumervil crowd is up bright and early, serving up their morning brew. . . yawn.
I understand the disappointment about losing Doom. People just need to realize that he's a little overrated and a bit of a luxury at $12 million. I'd love for him to take a pay cut and stay but it's extremely doubtful that will happen.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #23
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I'm not even against cutting him. I'm just wondering if the three above will be THAT expensive And is joe mays still on this team?
I think Mays will either take a huge pay cut or get released. No way they're keeping him at $4 million.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #24
Elway 4 Life
Pass rushers apply here!
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,823

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

I like all those options except mendenhall. He is a fumbling tool. Replace him with S Jackson in this rumor mill and ill be happy as a fat kid with cake and ice cream.
Elway 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #25
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
That isn't how they played Doom last season though. You can't argue that he should get paid less because he should be in a situational role when you just used him as a three down DE for the entire last season.
Of course that can be argued. If they've decided since the end of the season that he'd be better used as a situational pass rusher rather than a 3 down player where his run D is a liability, then they can certainly ask him to adjust his salary accordingly. And they have. Doom, of course, has every right to refuse (and has). That's the business.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Denver Broncos