The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #176
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I didn't get all the love for Kruger. 4 years in the league. Rode pine for most of 2, averaging 7 sacks the two years he's started. He's not a premier pass rusher by any stretch.
he's playing OLB and most think he'd do better as a straight DE(even though he struggled as a DE in the 3-4 and had to revert back to OLB).
he's still developing overall and the thought is that that 9.5 sacks will only get better.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #177
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post

Wasn't he still in the top 10 in the league in sacks?
Nope, but his salary was definitely in the top 10.

His 11 sacks ranked 14th in the NFL last season.....his 2012 salary ranked 2nd overall in the NFL and for defensive players

His salary was $18.9 million.....Manning was just behind him at $18.

Last edited by errand; 03-12-2013 at 06:13 PM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #178
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Question stands... would you rather have Peyton at $20 or Rodgers at $10?
Is this a rhetorical question? Anyone would take Rodgers. But I'm not sure what your point is with this? Rodgers is up for a huge raise. Should the Packers let him walk?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #179
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Is this a rhetorical question? Anyone would take Rodgers. But I'm not sure what your point is with this? Rodgers is up for a huge raise. Should the Packers let him walk?
I think you missed the comment where someone said Peyton's MVP talk made the decision arguable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:21 AM   #180
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,055
Default

WTF is this about Peyton's contract?

Two years ago we were paying Orton+Tebow close to $18 million to combine and suck.

That alone makes Peyton's salary worth it.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #181
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
WTF is this about Peyton's contract?

Two years ago we were paying Orton+Tebow close to $18 million to combine and suck.

That alone makes Peyton's salary worth it.
Brady only makes $8 million a year.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #182
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Brady only makes $8 million a year.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-engla...ots/tom-brady/
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #183
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Brady only makes $8 million a year.
And I guaran-damn-tee you that Brady is an unpopular man with his union and a lot of players because of that. It's easy for people to say, "Hey, that greedy bastard Manning doesn't need the money! Why doesn't he take a pay cut for the good of the team like Brady!" I'm certain players like Manning and Brees feel a certain duty to maximize market value on their contracts because it effects the future pay scales of their peers. If every top player starts taking discounts "for the good of the team" then that starts to trickle down and eventually will have a negative impact on the pay of other players, most of whom aren't as rich as Manning, Brees, et al. It's easy for for fans to armchair stuff like this, but there's more to it than players just being greedy.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #184
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,581

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

I fell asleep during the Summit League Championship for NCAAM last night. Doom still on the team?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #185
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
And I guaran-damn-tee you that Brady is an unpopular man with his union and a lot of players because of that. It's easy for people to say, "Hey, that greedy bastard Manning doesn't need the money! Why doesn't he take a pay cut for the good of the team like Brady!" I'm certain players like Manning and Brees feel a certain duty to maximize market value on their contracts because it effects the future pay scales of their peers. If every top player starts taking discounts "for the good of the team" then that starts to trickle down and eventually will have a negative impact on the pay of other players, most of whom aren't as rich as Manning, Brees, et al. It's easy for for fans to armchair stuff like this, but there's more to it than players just being greedy.
Yeah I'm sure if the players union wants anything it wants a bunch of endorsement king QBs eating up a quarter of their teams' salary caps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #186
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco
 
cousinal11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 1,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I fell asleep during the Summit League Championship for NCAAM last night. Doom still on the team?
No new news.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #187
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
WTF is this about Peyton's contract?

Two years ago we were paying Orton+Tebow close to $18 million to combine and suck.

That alone makes Peyton's salary worth it.
The moron brigade led by chief moron BroncoBeavis are/were suggesting that you can't win the Super Bowl with elite QB's because they take up too much of your salary cap. So it's mostly PM's fault that the Broncos didn't/can't win the Super Bowl. But the argument is slowly shifting as the realization sets in just how ridiculous their position is. So it could be a completely different argument by now.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #188
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Yeah I'm sure if the players union wants anything it wants a bunch of endorsement king QBs eating up a quarter of their teams' salary caps.
First off, there are only a handful of elite QBs in the league that can command top dollar for the position. So it's not like all 32 teams are pressed against the cap limit because of their QB.

Second, even the teams that do pay top dollar can structure deals so that the cap figures are small even as they make big pay-outs up front (see Flacco's deal that only counts $6.8 million against the cap this season). Granted, those contracts will eventually come home to roost (see Flacco's third year cap number of $29 million), but you can always restructure if need be (or release the player if he's past it).

Third, any top player entering the free agent market will find a team with available cap space willing to pay him top dollar. The Ravens can't afford to pay Ellerbe top dollar because of Flacco (though Baltimore's cap issues actually have nothing to do with Flacco's new deal)? No problem; Miami is there with the cap space and cash waiting. There is no evidence that the pay scales of top QBs are harming the value of players at other positions.

And, finally, as regards the Broncos, despite Manning's high cap figure, they still have plenty of cap space to make moves (which they've already started doing). In Doom's case, they've simply decided that they don't believe he's worth a $12 million pay-out this season. They've got the cap and cash resources to pay him (see Vazquez's $13 million dollar guarantee yesterday), but they simply don't think he's worth that value. It doesn't have a thing to do with Manning's contract.

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 03-13-2013 at 06:37 AM..
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #189
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,476

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I fell asleep during the Summit League Championship for NCAAM last night. Doom still on the team?
Nothing new, other than Atwater His Ass completely losing his **** last night and obsessing.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #190
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
The moron brigade led by chief moron BroncoBeavis are/were suggesting that you can't win the Super Bowl with elite QB's because they take up too much of your salary cap. So it's mostly PM's fault that the Broncos didn't/can't win the Super Bowl. But the argument is slowly shifting as the realization sets in just how ridiculous their position is. So it could be a completely different argument by now.
The argument only shifts when you decide to change up which scarecrow you want to put on display. I didn't say you 'can't win' I said the huge salaries are obstacles. Ones that rarely get overcome. It's a team game, and having the best QB in the league doesn't win you a championship. Especially if you pay him like the best. The rest of the team, by definition, gets paid less. This is not that hard.

Be honest now. If we were paying Peyton $12 a year instead of $20, do you think we'd be looking at outright cutting our best (pro bowl) guy on DL?

Brady's restructured his contract each of the last two years to save his team cap money to keep other pieces on the field. But apparently he's just a moron (like Elway) because Big Tony says it don't work like that.

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 03-13-2013 at 07:13 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Denver Broncos