The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #126
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 7,991
Default

I think if we bolstered DT spot this year would of helped free up Doom more. I love Doom and wish he would retire a Bronco.

What moves would we make keeping him vs losing him. How will it be better and worse without him. What impact or not will our FA class have or not its hard to tell. Maybe we'll be worse rushing passer and better in other areas with more different pieces added we'll have to see. 2013 season will tell us more. Even if our FA class isn't what we hoped for maybe we'll get surprised at production in 2013 that is most important for our team.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #127
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Agree with that. That's why I want us to go after SJ and precisely why Bush shouldn't be a target. He was a small frame, one that makes him a liability blocking for Manning. Lets say we sign Bush, get rid either of KM or WM. Now, the one that stayed gets injured... you want a backfield of Bush/Hillman/Ball protecting Manning in passing situations?
Dude, all's i am saying is that Bush could make the team an offensive powerhouse, and he fits the mold of a Manning offense RB.
and i would expect DEN to draft another late round RB to also be solid in pass pro as well.
Bush would not be a liability for Manning. Bush is not bad at pass pro, like Ball or Hillman, he just isnt as good at it as someone like McGahee.
Bush is 6-0ft 205lbs. Slowshon is 5-11 200lbs. Slowshon is an excellent pass protector. Bush, who already isnt bad at pass pro, has the size and weight to be just as good.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #128
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Were any of them in a win now mode with their aging QB?
The Favre Vikings shouldda cut Jared Allen and built through the draft.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #129
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Losing Doom doesn't mean that the defense is going to take a significant step back. With the exception of the QB position, football isn't like basketball where one player is the difference between a quality team and a poor team. It all depends on what kind of plan the front office has in mind to replace him. Is there risk with that approach? Sure. But I prefer to see what they have in mind before I start the hand-wringing.
DEs and pressure are key in this league. There's a reason the position is second only to QB in salary. Everyone in the league (except maybe us) understands how valuable that pressure is.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #130
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
DEs and pressure are key in this league. There's a reason the position is second only to QB in salary. Everyone in the league (except maybe us) understands how valuable that pressure is.
Then why is Baltimore not lifting a finger to re-sign Kruger (they finished 15th as a team in sacks, FYI)? What doesn't Detroit have even a good defense when their DL personnel on paper is outstanding (Avril, Suh, Fairley)? Or Buffalo for the matter (Mario, Dareus, Kyle Williams)? It's a lot more complicated than painfully simplistic axioms like 'DEs and pressure are key in this league."
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #131
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Yeah I can't think of any other Super Bowl contenders that are paying their franchise QB big $$$...
Any of them won it all while paying a QB $20 mil?

Flacco was making Peanuts.
Eli was making $13.
Rodgers was at $7.
Pretty sure Brees made under $10.

I don't think you can argue that PM is better than most of these guys at this stage in his career.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #132
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Then why is Baltimore not lifting a finger to re-sign Kruger (they finished 15th as a team in sacks, FYI)? What doesn't Detroit have even a good defense when their DL personnel on paper is outstanding (Avril, Suh, Fairley)? Or Buffalo for the matter (Mario, Dareus, Kyle Williams)? It's a lot more complicated than painfully simplistic axioms like 'DEs and pressure are key in this league."
They're in full disassemble mode now. You can thank Joe Flacco. Only reinforces what I'm saying. They're so fundamentally screwed now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #133
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,616
Default

This Beavis clown is seriously going to make an argument against paying franchise QB's big $$$. And we're supposed to engage him in a conversation about NFL football?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #134
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Any of them won it all while paying a QB $20 mil?

Flacco was making Peanuts.
Eli was making $13.
Rodgers was at $7.
Pretty sure Brees made under $10.

I don't think you can argue that PM is better than most of these guys at this stage in his career.
Will probably see the same thing happen to SF with Kaepernick and seattle with Wilson. That's just the nature of it being the best and most important position. You have to throw money at that spot. Alot of it
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #135
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 22,978

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
This Beavis clown is seriously going to make an argument against paying franchise QB's big $$$. And we're supposed to engage him in a conversation about NFL football?
Rep.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #136
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
This Beavis clown is seriously going to make an argument against paying franchise QB's big $$$. And we're supposed to engage him in a conversation about NFL football?
Just curious why Elway was taking damn near vet minimum at the end. Was John a moron?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #137
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Just curious why Elway was taking damn near vet minimum at the end. Was John a moron?
So what's your position here? The best organziations in the league should cut their franchise QB's? So they can compete and win Super Bowls? That's your argument? And you wonder why I'm laughing at you?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #138
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,967

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Just curious why Elway was taking damn near vet minimum at the end. Was John a moron?
Yes, because salaries and cap numbers and rules are exactly the same as they were in the late 90's.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #139
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
They're in full disassemble mode now. You can thank Joe Flacco. Only reinforces what I'm saying. They're so fundamentally screwed now.
You failed to address 1) how Baltimore was able to win a SB with mediocre pressure (15th in the league in sacks) and 2) why teams with excellent DL personnel on paper like Detroit and Buffalo nevertheless have horrible defenses. Any thoughts on any of that?
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #140
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
You failed to address 1) how Baltimore was able to win a SB with mediocre pressure (15th in the league in sacks) and 2) why teams with excellent DL personnel on paper like Detroit and Buffalo nevertheless have horrible defenses. Any thoughts on any of that?
Not only did they have mediocre pressure, but who were there starting 3 CB's?
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #141
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
So what's your position here? The best organziations in the league should cut their franchise QB's? So they can compete and win Super Bowls? That's your argument? And you wonder why I'm laughing at you?
I'm not a Flacco fan, but it is a pretty stupid argument to suggest that teams would be better off dropping franchise QBs.

You think New Orleans would be better off with Chase Daniels starting so they could spread the money around a little bit more, Beavis?
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #142
BroncosfanGuy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Any of them won it all while paying a QB $20 mil?

Flacco was making Peanuts.
Eli was making $13.
Rodgers was at $7.
Pretty sure Brees made under $10.

I don't think you can argue that PM is better than most of these guys at this stage in his career.
he was a historical Adrian Peterson season away from winning the NFL MVP last year, dude. The argument can be made.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 03-12-2013 at 11:24 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #143
Old Dude
Super Moderator
 
Old Dude's Avatar
 
Consultant

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DIA Tunnels
Posts: 14,756
Default

If true, this is sad. Pass rushers aren't easy to come by. But I'm going to assume the front office knows what it's doing.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #144
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
So what's your position here? The best organziations in the league should cut their franchise QB's? So they can compete and win Super Bowls? That's your argument? And you wonder why I'm laughing at you?
I think you know real argument (vs your straw erection) because Elway knew then what everyone still knows now (Doom is exhibit A). League-leading QB compensation means sacrifice elsewhere on the field.

You say it's a QB driven league. So when exactly was the last time the highest paid QB in the league (or at least near it) hoisted a Lombardi?

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 03-12-2013 at 12:42 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #145
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
he was a historical Adrian Peterson season away from winning the NFL MVP last year, dude. The argument can be made.
You're telling me, all loyalty aside, you'd rather have 37 YO Peyton Manning than Aaron (2011 MVP) Rodgers?

Let's be honest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #146
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
I think you know real argument (vs your straw erection) because Elway knew then what everyone still knows now (Doom is exhibit A). League-leading QB compensation means sacrifice elsewhere on the field.

You say it's a QB driven league. So when exactly was the last time the highest paid QB in the league (or at least near it) hoisted a Lombardi?
Your argument is silly because most of the league's top teams have elite QB's, which suggests the obvious. Yes, it does require "sacrifice", but clearly not to the extent of ruining your playoff chances. Not having an elite level QB does that.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #147
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
You're telling me, all loyalty aside, you'd rather have 37 YO Peyton Manning than Aaron (2011 MVP) Rodgers?

Let's be honest.
Well according to your logic we shouldn't want either. Too expensive. We should bring back Kyle Orton on the cheap so we have the money to sign other players.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #148
MagicHef
Ring of Famer
 
MagicHef's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,306

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
You failed to address 1) how Baltimore was able to win a SB with mediocre pressure (15th in the league in sacks) and 2) why teams with excellent DL personnel on paper like Detroit and Buffalo nevertheless have horrible defenses. Any thoughts on any of that?
1) Much like Flacco, Baltimore's defense turned it on in the playoffs.

2) Those teams have great DTs, and ok DEs. I am of the opinion that DTs tend to not matter much in today's NFL.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #149
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
You say it's a QB driven league. So when exactly was the last time the highest paid QB in the league (or at least near it) hoisted a Lombardi?
Talk about a straw man argument. QBs generally become among the highest paid at the position after establishing their creditials as a Super Bowl winning QB (Vick is the only counter-example I can think of).

I ask again, what is the alternative for a team with a franchise QB with an expiring contract? Would New Orleans have been better off starting Chase Daniels and spreading around the money they gave to Brees? Is that really your argument?
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #150
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis
They're in full disassemble mode now. You can thank Joe Flacco. Only reinforces what I'm saying. They're so fundamentally screwed now.
Oh, and back to this point for a moment. Flacco's cap charge for 2013 is $6.8 million (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...2013-and-2014/), well below market value for a starting QB, let alone a QB who just won the SB. In short, they are not letting Kruger and others walk because of Flacco's new deal.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Denver Broncos