The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #76
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Feel free to minimize Von's game to speed rushing. I've seen him power rush tackles for sacks on several occasions.

They absolutely compliment each other.

Only on the mane can you find hate for a guy the regularly breaks 10 sacks a year.

I guess that's the effect an Elway has when he takes the front office. Nothing he can do is wrong, and everyone will find anyway they can to justify it while minimizing others' accomplishments.

Please tell me why, if this is a financial move, why it would make sense to package Doom for Revis and the contract he will command?
Atwater His Ass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #77
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Feel free to minimize Von's game to speed rushing. I've seen him power rush tackles for sacks on several occasions.

Only on the mane can you find hate for a guy the regularly breaks 10 sacks a year.

I guess that's the effect an Elway has when he takes the front office. Nothing he can do is wrong, and everyone will find anyway they can to justify it while minimizing others' accomplishments.

Please tell me why, if this is a financial move, why it would make sense to package Doom for Revis and the contract he will command?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #78
Drunken.Broncoholic

With manning I expect the broncos to play with a lead. That happened alot last year. Playing with a lead means the other team runs less passes more. I'd rather have a pass rushing weapon than a run stopper the way this team is built right now. The plan was for manning to put the team in the lead so Von and doom can pull the ears back and sack a passing QB.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #79
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Old 03-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #80
Drunken.Broncoholic

What I don't understand is why some are worried and want a run stopping DE instead of a game changer. Broncos were 3rd in the league against the run.

3rd in the league is fine with me. How did they end up ranking 3rd with a "horrible" run stopping DE?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #81
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
What I don't understand is why some are worried and want a run stopping DE instead of a game changer. Broncos were 3rd in the league against the run.

3rd in the league is fine with me. How did they end up ranking 3rd with a "horrible" run stopping DE?
I agree. Cannot believe how short sided some people are on this issue.

Wanting to get rid of at MINIMUM 10 gaurenteed sackes a year. MINIMUM.

....and then completely ignore his effect on a guy like Miller's play....
Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #82
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post

Who is hating?

They don't Compliment each other. They do the same thing. One does it significantly better than the other. Doom rushing one tackle does not make Vonn better. Vonn will make Doom better because he is the focus. Doom is good at what he does and if not for Vonn would be the backbone of our Pass Rush.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #83
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

I'm not shocked. Elvis is not worth the cash and can be replaced.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #84
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Wonder who they have in mind to fill in for him. Its doubtful Wolfe is ready and there is no one else to put opposite Miller.

This is what I am thinking. Doom came out like gangbusters but Wolfe showed he is not quite ready to jump into his shoes. Free agency at half the price?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #85
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
If he's not willing to restructure his gigantic contract, I'm not really sure what the organization can do. His contract is too big for a situational 10 sack guy, who's best in a 3-4. I'd prefer they trade him, rather than cut him outright, but again, if he won't redo his contract, what can you do?
Situational guys don't play more than 1000 snaps in a season, like Doom just did.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #86
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

How long we're we all complaining for a pass rush? This move seems stupid, I won't overreact til it happens but man I hope they keep doom. The older vets listed in this thread don't bring what he will
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #87
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
I'm not shocked. Elvis is not worth the cash and can be replaced.
Agreed. The other thing we have to remember is Peyton talking to Freeney about becoming a Bronco weeks ago so this is probably something that management has been planning for some time now. I wonder what people would say if we cut Elvis and somehow landed Freeney, Revis and Steven Jackson. Certainly would be fun to watch.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #88
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
FYI- If Dumervil is really worth the cash then we will be able to trade him and won't have to cut him.
why? what team would give up draft picks if they knew we were just going to cut him?

besides the chiefs, I mean.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #89
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Agreed. The other thing we have to remember is Peyton talking to Freeney about becoming a Bronco weeks ago so this is probably something that management has been planning for some time now. I wonder what people would say if we cut Elvis and somehow landed Freeney, Revis and Steven Jackson. Certainly would be fun to watch.
so you want to save the 8 million that cutting Doom would save, and then spend at least 25 million on those three players. through magic, I presume?
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #90
yerner
Ring of Famer

This is really the first move under Elway I just don't agree with at all. You just can't let guys of this impact hit the free agent wire and get nothing in return. I don't care who they bring in from the free agent market, they will have taken a huge step back losing a player of this caliber.

This reminds me of New England thinking they could easily replace Seymour. They've won alot of games, but they've been searching for his replacement since every year.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #91
spiralism

On the other hand, imagine if we cut him, Revis goes somewhere else and we sign Mendenhall? This place would hit meltdown and probably deservedly so.

Elway and co would want to be careful. There's only so much good fan karma for a 1 and done season, however successful.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #92
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
so you want to save the 8 million that cutting Doom would save, and then spend at least 25 million on those three players. through magic, I presume?
If we lose Doom the Broncos will be spending big money elsewhere, not sure where but listening to everyone melt down over losing one guy that bull rushed into a huge OT and had no impact during our playoff game is silly. Have some faith in Elway the team will get better.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #93
R-Mac

It's so easy to replace Dumervil, a Pro Bowler with 63.5 sacks in 6 seasons. I mean you just have to invest in the draft like in 2007 when the Broncos selected Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder. Problem solved. Dwight Freeney, clearly a proper replacement. A 33-year old dude with 12 tackles and 5 sacks in 14 games as a starter. Now that's a motor. He must be waiting for retirement collecting his checks and doing an occasional spin move.

Dumervil probably had his best season against the run (as noticed by Tom Nalen and Mark Schlereth) and that's why he led the defensive line in snaps. Even in the Divisional Round against the Ravens he played hard and did his job. McKinnie could not move Dumervil and also Dumervil put pressure on Flacco several times, forcing a scramble or a quick throw and sometimes being held though there was no flag.

If you have Game Pass or a copy of the game, watch it one more time and see how Dumervil was one of the guys that showed up to play, unlike that cornerback that will make $10.5 million in 2013 after giving the game away.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #94
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

If Doom is cut the Broncos have 3 options to replace him: FA, the draft, hope Hunter or another guy on the roster can fill the void.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #95
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
I wonder what people would say if we cut Elvis and somehow landed Freeney, Revis and Steven Jackson.
I calculate that the Broncos will have $121M in active contracts and dead money heading into FA...AFTER they cut Dumervil, DJ, and Mays. This figure also assumes they sign Bruton and Vickerson to modest deals.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #96
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
why? what team would give up draft picks if they knew we were just going to cut him?

besides the chiefs, I mean.
If you are going to pay him that anyway. You would want to ship the picks to be sure you get him. There will be many teams he could sign with. He would not willingly go to say Cleveland. But if they can't get Kruger
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #97
R-Mac

Oh and by the way: when the Broncos make a substitution and remove Dumervil from the field for the first time, replacing him with Ayers, Flacco drops back without pressure and T. Smith burns Toast Bailey on the 1st TD pass. Ayers was there trying to figure out what to do push the pocket, wondering if he will need 11 seasons to produce 11 sacks.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #98
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Mac View Post
Oh and by the way: when the Broncos make a substitution and remove Dumervil from the field for the first time, replacing him with Ayers, Flacco drops back without pressure and T. Smith burns Toast Bailey on the 1st TD pass. Ayers was there trying to figure out what to do push the pocket, wondering if he will need 11 seasons to produce 11 sacks.
I agree I'd like Doom to stay, but I'm not sure the Baltimore gameis the best example of why we need to keep him.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #99
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I calculate that the Broncos will have $121M in active contracts and dead money heading into FA...AFTER they cut Dumervil, DJ, and Mays. This figure also assumes they sign Bruton and Vickerson to modest deals.
You're also the same guy who doesn't know the difference between re-sign and resign.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #100
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
You're also the same guy who doesn't know the difference between re-sign and resign.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote