The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 06:43 AM   #26
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
Damn what kind of grocery store do you go to Chris?
It's a Coborn's.

My weekly grocery list consists of the same items. My stroll up and down the store is exactly the same. It is literally a circle. I just grab and go. With kidney disease I have to have minimal protein intake (especially from animals) and a low sodium diet. I try to get organic stuff, but as long as it isn't injected with stuff, I'm fine. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies. No added salt to anything. I stay away from most sauces, dressings, etc. It's pretty bland, but I make a go of it. I have to play the hand I was dealt. Don't have a choice. My sodium intake is less than 1000 mg a day and most people in America eat three times that, which is way over what you should. 2000 mg is ideal for people without issues, but since I have them, I have to cut it in half.

Sometimes I buy meat in bulk, freeze it if need be. I was able to get a pork loin (5-7 pounds I believe) for a great deal and sliced some of that loin into thin slices to make into sandwhiches or even put it with noodles or rice dishes. That is going to last me a while since I only eat meat maybe once a day or every other day.

I get a pound of ground sirlion which is only 4 bucks here and get the non-injected chicken with no added salt for 3.25 or so a pound. Salads, etc. Most of all, I love fish -- but I get it fresh and is usually the most expensive. They do have packaged organic stuff (can't remember the brand) that is usually 7 bucks or so and you get a decent amount. A bag of potatoes (I usually have a potato every other day, I lose a lot of potassium because of my disease so I need to eat potatoes and bananas) alot.

I usually go to the store every two weeks -- but sometimes it is weekly if the deals are good. I usually come out to $35 dollars per trip depending on how much I get. It was a little more expensive this last time around because I got meat in bulk, but why not?

I haven't had fast food in almost a month and am proud to say that. I forgot to pack lunch one day and was out of the field office and snagged a double cheeseburger on my way out of town. Tasted like piss. All I can say is that food in the Midwest is cheaper than it was in Colorado. I remember at Safeway in Winter Park/Fraser it was like 5-6 dollars for a pound of ground beef or something. LAME.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #27
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

YES! SIGN ME UP!!!

Oh, I thought from the thread title this was another secret Omane club...

Carry on.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #28
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Frying food or adding cream is just as easy way to make low quality food appealing without much cooking skill.

It takes a tiny bit of skill and high quality fresh ingredients for normal (ie non binge food - the kind you would eat regularly in the wild) to be delicious.

More importantly than that is if you grow up with these foods the body and brain become addicted. I grew up overseas eating vegetables daily (I also ate mcds) but I'm amazed at the stuff people eat here. Additionally a lot of people I know think " healthy" is having the dullest, ****tiest salad and nothing else. The food education is really poor.

What I find interesting is that when I go to the British specialty store and see all the foods I grew up with I immediately want to eat the ****ty stuff and the candy. I guess I'm lucky too be separated from the products I was conditioned to like as a child.

Last edited by Chris; 02-28-2013 at 07:53 AM..
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #29
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Where did you grow up Chris? Hong Kongggggggggggg?

ni hao baobay
Old 02-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #30
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

****in government holdin a brother down by making a brother eat cheese
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #31
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

I buy healthy, I eat healthy.

....for the most part.

My biggest pet peeve is how much more expensive it is to eat that way. This needs to change. Whole foods should be cheaper on the whole (no pun) than processed.

It's no wonder America is 'fat'. As the economy struggles, eating unhealthy/fatty foods is just easier for most.

Sad.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #32
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post

....for the most part.

My biggest pet peeve is how much more expensive it is to eat that way. This needs to change. Whole foods should be cheaper on the whole (no pun) than processed.

It's no wonder America is 'fat'. As the economy struggles, eating unhealthy/fatty foods is just easier for most.

Sad.
this is my #1 issue with healthy food. #2 would be that I don't enjoy preparing a meal.

oh well. no one lives forever
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #33
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

My wife and I recently did a 28 day paleo cleanse diet, where we cut out all grain, dairy, vegetable oil, sweeteners, and alcohol. The idea is more about restoring your hormone balance which allows you to lose weight without dieting. It's pretty easy - I'm losing about a pound a week without counting calories and eating as much as I want, and I feel great.

It is more expensive to eat this way - we have also switched to organic veggies, grain-fed hormone free beef, and free-range eggs. We are buying all of our stuff from some local farm co-ops, which helps. The way I look at it, this is how much real food costs. The other crap that's cheaper - it's cheaper because it's been engineered to be cheaper.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #34
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
My wife and I recently did a 28 day paleo cleanse diet, where we cut out all grain, dairy, vegetable oil, sweeteners, and alcohol. The idea is more about restoring your hormone balance which allows you to lose weight without dieting. It's pretty easy - I'm losing about a pound a week without counting calories and eating as much as I want, and I feel great.

It is more expensive to eat this way - we have also switched to organic veggies, grain-fed hormone free beef, and free-range eggs. We are buying all of our stuff from some local farm co-ops, which helps. The way I look at it, this is how much real food costs. The other crap that's cheaper - it's cheaper because it's been engineered to be cheaper.
Good work. My best friend did that too and he lost 4" off his waist and like 9 pounds in the month challenge. He also CrossFit's like a muddfuuuuuuaaah so yeaaaah boooy.

I don't have a problem paying more for food if I know it's awesome. In Fargo there was a place called Tochi's which was pretty expensive, but it was super healthy and awesome.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #35
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:

....for the most part.

Sad.
I don't think it is any easier. Easier to get, but the cost is still the same if not more. I remember one time I was going through McDonalds in December around Christmas time a family of five went through the drive through. Their order was still on the menu screen as I drove up and it was over $35.00 for what they got. That is absolutely criminal and stupid that anybody would ever pay that for something made in a drive through.

Food prices are going up, but it really is about lifestyle changes. There are going to be people out there who complain that grocery prices are going up but everyone in their family (a family of 5) has a smartphone, data plan and the coolest gadgets out there that run them hundreds a month. It's about priorities, and most people in America don't have good ones.

Keep up with the Jones', materialistic society. It's pathetic and sad.

I like the poster (along with Meck) who said to go to co-ops and local farmers markets and get your goods there. Supporting local people and getting great stuff.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #36
ghwk
Ring of Famer

DOUBLE JESUS MUTHER EFFERS!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Be Smokin

So I'm going to have to infer from this thread that having skittles and beer for dinner last night was NOT a good thing to do.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #37
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I think that for hundreds of thousands of years human beings didn't get much salt, sugar or fat in their diets, so when this stuff came available (say, fruit in season, bumping into a salt lick somewhere...) they were programmed to gorge on the good stuff. In the modern era, that "good stuff" is available any time you want it.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #38
Johnykbr

For the people here that are equating organic with healthiest, I highly recommend you watch Penn & Teller: Bull****! regarding organic food. You will see that even groceries such as Whole Foods or Trader Joe's also have an agenda as well.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #39
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I think that for hundreds of thousands of years human beings didn't get much salt, sugar or fat in their diets, so when this stuff came available (say, fruit in season, bumping into a salt lick somewhere...) they were programmed to gorge on the good stuff. In the modern era, that "good stuff" is available any time you want it.
Stop lumping "salt" and "fat" in with sugar! Most modern nutrition researchers have basically done a 180 on the first two. Unless you have a very specific set of heart issues, your body deals with huge amounts of salt with basically no real issues. The movement to take salt out of everything just meant everyone started eating really bland food, and that's not good at all.

Fat gets a really bad rap as well. I once had a chat with a fairly prominent nutrition researcher at UCD, who suggested that most Americans aren't getting *enough* fat in their diet. He points to a lot of political issues (yay corn lobby in Iowa!)that caused us to build a national diet that emphasized carbs while vilifying fats from meats and eggs. This guy suggested that current medical research is suggesting more and more that it's preservatives and certain chemicals that are the real issue. They have a real deleterious effect on body chemistry that results in much higher cancer and heart health risks.

He essentially supported the whole food movement. Arguing that the fewer steps you can put between what goes into your body and it's point of origin the better. Food that is naturally well preserved (rice, pasta, etc...) is just fine. TV dinners, frozen foods, and fast food are not ok. To package it up they have to load it down with preservatives and that's really bad for you.

I went on to read "Good Calories/Bad Calories":

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-.../dp/1400033462

It's a fascinating book that makes much of the same argument, while putting *how* we got here into really good context.

I eat red meat a few times a week. Lots of chicken and fish as well. As I get well into my 30's my blood work is consistently really good. Very low cholestrol and blood pressure. I feel great most of the time...
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #40
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Stop lumping "salt" and "fat" in with sugar! Most modern nutrition researchers have basically done a 180 on the first two. Unless you have a very specific set of heart issues, your body deals with huge amounts of salt with basically no real issues. The movement to take salt out of everything just meant everyone started eating really bland food, and that's not good at all.
Not just heart issues, kidney issues. Nobody with kidney diease (which I have) should be eating a lot of salt or much animal proteins. 1000mg sodium a day max and less than 6 ounces of meat a day. It is just too much to process, and most people who had kidney disease cannot filter the proteins properly so it just spills into their urine. . . and then the excess sodium causes you to bloat and feel like poop.

I had a fried chicken breast today at lunch from the local deli and I already gotta poop my brains out.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #41
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

related article from NYT.

a long, but good read.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #42
Anikai
PUP List

Champ Bailey's Beard

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

does anyone else wish Spaghetti-O's just made cans of meatballs
Anikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #43
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:

....for the most part.

Sad.
The reality is that it seems expensive because the ****ty food is subsidised in the US to be cheaper. In other countries, like France for example, people spend a quarter or even a third of their income on food.

When my family wasn't doing well at all financially my mother made a point of keeping up the grocery spending to ensure quality. I ate **** as often as I was free from my parents. I'd eat five Mcds cheeseburgers after school on Fridays (it helped that I was a swimmer) but as I grew older I craved that stuff less and less and now I'm just left with the good stuff, including those veggies I used to hate (I never hated life more than when I had to eat spinach to watch the Muppet Show). The takeaway for me was that no matter how much I **** up my finances building good food habits and a broad palette is essential to long term health in life. Without health... where's the life?

Yes Hong Kong req... let's go with your Chinese

Bing bang

Ching chang chong

Egg foo yong wing bang... wong?

BAAAYBEEEE

Last edited by Chris; 02-28-2013 at 02:40 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #44
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
related article from NYT.

a long, but good read.
Thank you

Here's a quote

Quote:
The public and the food companies have known for decades now — or at the very least since this meeting — that sugary, salty, fatty foods are not good for us in the quantities that we consume them. So why are the diabetes and obesity and hypertension numbers still spiraling out of control? It’s not just a matter of poor willpower on the part of the consumer and a give-the-people-what-they-want attitude on the part of the food manufacturers. What I found, over four years of research and reporting, was a conscious effort — taking place in labs and marketing meetings and grocery-store aisles — to get people hooked on foods that are convenient and inexpensive. I talked to more than 300 people in or formerly employed by the processed-food industry, from scientists to marketers to C.E.O.’s. Some were willing whistle-blowers, while others spoke reluctantly when presented with some of the thousands of pages of secret memos that I obtained from inside the food industry’s operations. What follows is a series of small case studies of a handful of characters whose work then, and perspective now, sheds light on how the foods are created and sold to people who, while not powerless, are extremely vulnerable to the intensity of these companies’ industrial formulations and selling campaigns.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #45
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I wonder how many books are out there that say eat right and exercise and you'll be healthier for it. Just add another one on to this list.

It's supply and demand really. Hard to blame the food too much when everybody wants it. It might be a little addicting but not to the point where it controls your lifestyle and what you choose to eat. If people stopped eating all the crap, or at least cut back on it big time, you would see a change in what foods are made and sold. They're gonna make what sells.

The worst thing ever is when you see really fat kids at the grocery store and a big fat parent with them. I always feel like walking up to the parent and stuffing a carrot in the mouth and tell them the kid has no choice but to eat what you put in front of him. If you want to be a fat heffer that's fine, your choice, but don't turn your kid into one. They don't have a choice.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #46
TD4HOF
Rehabbed Lurker

He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Special Teams

Great responses. I would agree that just simply using common sense, not eating way too much sugar, avoiding fast food and mild exercise is a tremendous boon. For the poster who mentioned his energy level, I'm going go for that. I do have issues sometimes and need to see the food thing through more than 4, 5 days. Ice cream is my nemesis...and the 8, 9 fast food places less than half a mile from my digs.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #47
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD4HOF View Post
Great responses. I would agree that just simply using common sense, not eating way too much sugar, avoiding fast food and mild exercise is a tremendous boon. For the poster who mentioned his energy level, I'm going go for that. I do have issues sometimes and need to see the food thing through more than 4, 5 days. Ice cream is my nemesis...and the 8, 9 fast food places less than half a mile from my digs.
make the commitment for 28 days. just do it.... go completely clean, purge your system of all of that. Think of it as a detox.

Once you do it and start eating "regular" food again, you will notice that it's generally too sweet and salty, as you won't be desensitized any more. that will help you stay on track and keep your diet in check.

Here's how you do it:

Over the weekend, purge your fridge/pantry of everything that you know you shouldn't be eating. When we did that, we ended up giving lots of stuff to the local food banks and friends/neighbors. Go buy the real food that you want to eat. Make sure to buy whatever it is you want to snack on - I ate a ton of nuts (which can be expensive).

Start the cleanse on a Monday. That gives you 5 days of trying to establish good patterns at work where you have fewer temptations. Weekends are tougher - if you can make it through 5 days, it's easier to do two more days before Monday comes again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #48
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Yes Hong Kong req... let's go with your Chinese

Bing bang

Ching chang chong

Egg foo yong wing bang... wong?

BAAAYBEEEE
Merrow yerrow. Forrow wour dreams. Ta ma de.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #49
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I don't find it that much more expensive eating "right". I also grow a lot of my own lettuces, etc at home. So, that makes it much easier.

IMO - it's cheaper, and less time is spent - if you factor in the time to go to the gym, etc when eating crap food.

The cost you're talking about is short term, up front cost. What's the long term $ spent on health?

I'd rather Save on the back end.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #50
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Like Req though - I eat a lot of the same things over and over. Greek Yogurt - Honey, Wheat germ, GMO free beef, chicken, goat, lamb. Lots of produce.

Most of what I make can be salads, tacos, rice dishes - etc. Not exciting in the least - but it works for me.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote