The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Salt Sugar Fat

anyone read this? looks absolutely fascinating, a huge interest of mine is reading and learning about the junk people willingly eat and give to their families, this seems to hit it on the head.

http://www.amazon.com/Salt-Sugar-Fat...pr_product_top

my next book thats for sure
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

If only we knew eating high calorie foods with little to no exercise was bad for us...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Interesting video.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
If only we knew eating high calorie foods with little to no exercise was bad for us...

everyone knows its bad, but people keep doing it. this goes into the industry practice of HOW they hvae managed to get people to keep eating food that is awful for them, even if they know it is.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

The book title summed up in a photo.

Why, yes... that IS chocolate covered bacon.
huh?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
everyone knows its bad, but people keep doing it. this goes into the industry practice of HOW they hvae managed to get people to keep eating food that is awful for them, even if they know it is.

Quite simply, taste. Natural foods taste good. Processed foods taste better. Sweeter, saltier, more fatty. Portion sizes don't help either.

Also other factors, like price, time saving and availability and our biology. Why cook a meal that will take over an hour to shop for, clean, prepare and cook when you can hit a mcdonalds and be in and out in 15 minutes?

Im guilty of eating ****ty food. Planning on changing it, but it will not be easy because I will crave those foods I need to avoid.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Fast food really isn't that fast.

Get into your car -- drive 5 to 10 minutes. Wait at the drive-thru. Go back home. ~ 20 minutes.

In 20 minutes you can make yourself a great meal. It takes no effort to be a good cook or to eat healthy. It takes willpower.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post

Get into your car -- drive 5 to 10 minutes. Wait at the drive-thru. Go back home. ~ 20 minutes.

In 20 minutes you can make yourself a great meal. It takes no effort to be a good cook or to eat healthy. It takes willpower.
IF and only if you spend 45 minutes going to the grocery store recently....
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Lol. It takes me about 20 minutes to get all my groceries because I make a list before I go. Not that tough to eat healthy. People just want to give excuses. I make excellent meals every day and the most it takes me is 50 minutes -- but then again, that is just waiting for a potato to bake.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

What's bad about me is that even though I only eat maybe 1 or 2 fast food meals a week, my problem is that I cook for taste, not health. And on the few occasions that I let my wife cook, it has to be chicken and rice and the rice needs to be fried with either garlic or cheese mixed in. Otherwise I'm turning on the deep fryer and making some cheddar cheese jalepeno poppers.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Lol. It takes me about 20 minutes to get all my groceries because I make a list before I go. Not that tough to eat healthy. People just want to give excuses. I make excellent meals every day and the most it takes me is 50 minutes -- but then again, that is just waiting for a potato to bake.

Have to say I am sick of potatoes.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:

Fast food is just so damn expensive anymore too. It costs like $20-$30 to feed a family of 4 going to a Wendy's or McDonald's or Sonic. Can cook 2-3 meals for a family at that price.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Fast food is just so damn expensive anymore too. It costs like $20-$30 to feed a family of 4 going to a Wendy's or McDonald's or Sonic. Can cook 2-3 meals for a family at that price.

$20-30 wont cover the cost of meat at my grocery store. Also sucks because the best produce is at City Market in Canon City, and its usually about .30 to a dollar more per pound then the market in Florence...

Stupid ass small towns.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
$20-30 wont cover the cost of meat at my grocery store. Also sucks because the best produce is at City Market in Canon City, and its usually about .30 to a dollar more per pound then the market in Florence...

Stupid ass small towns.

Damn. My little trick is I just go to the section at King Soopers where they mark the meat down because it's about to go bad and either cook it that night or freeze it. It's saved me quite a bit.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Damn. My little trick is I just go to the section at King Soopers where they mark the meat down because it's about to go bad and either cook it that night or freeze it. It's saved me quite a bit.

Big D's (market in Florence) actually has a really good meat counter. But in the past year everything has gone up in price. Even peanut butter. $6 for a small jar. **** that noise.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

I try to eat healthy. I rarely eat fast food. Sometimes I just need to get my fix of the Doritos Locos Taco and Baja Blast from Taco Bell...or the Oreo Overload from Cold Stone. I do go to the gym on a regular basis.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:

Stupid ass small towns.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #18
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
anyone read this? looks absolutely fascinating, a huge interest of mine is reading and learning about the junk people willingly eat and give to their families, this seems to hit it on the head.

http://www.amazon.com/Salt-Sugar-Fat...pr_product_top

my next book thats for sure
I just watched the author on Dr. Oz (no homo). Talked about how the food industry uses these to make their food addictive. Them bastards.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #19
TD4HOF
Rehabbed Lurker

He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Special Teams

Y'know, about 13 months ago, sudden health issues, mainly panic attacks, forced me to give up cigs, booze, pot and caffeine. I battled through all that (20 yrs of habitual use, mid 30s) and beat em after a year. Of course, I put on some weight and finally set out to kick all the bad food (love sweets n fast food), sort of the final frontier of good health.

Cannot even begin to tell you how much more difficult it's been to kick sugar and salt. Also, when I go a few days on a healthy diet, the difference physically and mentally is shocking. I think it trumps all. Stupid bad food is an epidemic getting relatively small attention but which should really be at the very top of the list, next to environmental decay.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #20
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Damn what kind of grocery store do you go to Chris?

I'm with you dirty, I go to Safeway or kings and find the Clarence food. Usually all the marked down food lasts for about 5 days uncooked in the fridge. With $20 I can get 3 rib eyes, 4 filets of fish and some meat for a stir fry. That's enough for 3 solid nights worth of meals and then enough for leftovers another night or two. Add I'm some veggies, acorn squash ($2 for $4) two bell peppers $2, and .5 lb green beans $1 and we are eating good for $30 a week.

I love it when they have the f,ily packs on Clearence, a few weeks ago they had a 12lb hunk of beef, not sure what kind, marked down from $27 to 16 and then another 50% off that. So for $8 I made a stew, a teriyaki crock pot beef bowl, and Indian satay shush kabobs. Love it!
underrated29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #21
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Because it tastes good and humans in general are impulsive and place the present before the future? Why do women tan like mad when it leads to leather skin and cancer later on. Same thing.

Satisfying Now > Unfortunate Future
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #22
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD4HOF View Post
Y'know, about 13 months ago, sudden health issues, mainly panic attacks, forced me to give up cigs, booze, pot and caffeine. I battled through all that (20 yrs of habitual use, mid 30s) and beat em after a year. Of course, I put on some weight and finally set out to kick all the bad food (love sweets n fast food), sort of the final frontier of good health.

Cannot even begin to tell you how much more difficult it's been to kick sugar and salt. Also, when I go a few days on a healthy diet, the difference physically and mentally is shocking. I think it trumps all. Stupid bad food is an epidemic getting relatively small attention but which should really be at the very top of the list, next to environmental decay.

Yeah dude it's crazy. I used to only eat fast food. Didnt want to cook, didnt care to, didnt know how. I never felt sick or weak or tired or anything, but now that I eat healthy, it's like a completely new world. It's so weird. You just feel lighter or something, like a little bit of movement goes a long way. And the energy part is nuts. Like I said I never lacked energy, but now that I am healthy it's like Heroin. I've got all kinds of energy all the time and rarely need rest breaks. Comes in handy so much when we go to Vegas. Obviously nothing is healthy in Vegas, but I'm always going strong and recover do much. Better.
underrated29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #23
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
I try to eat healthy. I rarely eat fast food. Sometimes I just need to get my fix of the Doritos Locos Taco and Baja Blast from Taco Bell...or the Oreo Overload from Cold Stone. I do go to the gym on a regular basis.
Gave up Fast food for lent. Well, except on Friday and the fish deals going on. Carls Jr is pretty good. I should lose some lbs giving it up for 40 days.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #24
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
It is when you have kids.

We try not to eat fast food very often, but sometimes you get tired, or bored with your home menu, or mostly busy running from daycare, to kung fu, to baseball practice, to pick up the car at the shop, etc. "Let's just go to Wendy's it's on the way."
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #25
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

http://www.wisebrother.com/tcs/story/54818