The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #26
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

after the draft is likely when we'll see a ton of moves if any. the draft will allow the team to fully evaluate things and shift around needs.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #27
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
I'm not saying he sucks or anything. I love Doom, just not worth the crazy high salary he is being paid. You and I both know he had a tendency to disappear for awhile this season
The way his salary is structured his cap number will go down every year. He is fine he does not need to restructure. I re-watched the Saints/Broncos game again. Champ was on Marcus Colston all night and held him to 3 catches for 29 yards on 7 passes attempt to him. Champ is still a top 5 CB and he is very important to the scheme of the Denver defense.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #28
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
like the past two years, I don't see the broncos as big players in FA
Yeah they're probably only going to go after no-name guys like Peyton Manning...
Old 02-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #29
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
i don't know about that. we just came off a 13-3 year and Peyton's window is closing. it wouldn't surprise me to see us go all out and try for Ed Reed, Welker, Nmandi in an effort to get us over the top.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #30
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
...it wouldn't surprise me to see us go all out and try for Ed Reed, Welker, Nmandi in an effort to get us over the top.
I don't know. Reed doesn't have much left. Welker is probably staying in NE now that Brady has restructured and they're rumored to be letting Lloyd go. Nnamdi? Maybe if he comes for significanly less money than he was making.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #31
bigbucks24
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Guys are restructuring but most are not taking less money. Nobody takes less until they have to that happens at the end of fa.
This is a great point. Most restructures don't result in the player making less money. They just result in changing how the money hits the cap. Most often, it pushes money into later years (by converting salary into bonuses, which can be divided by the years left on the deal). All this really does is push cap money to later in the deal. Then if the player gets cut, the remaining money is accelerated and you end up with a lot of dead money (money that counts against your cap for a player that is no longer playing for you). The Broncos are sitting pretty with the cap. Why push cap money into later years?
bigbucks24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #32
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Pretty much what I was saying yesterday. Not saying Doom is bad. Just not worth $14 million a year.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...website/18693/

Pro Football Focus was not impressed by Elvis Dumervilís 11.5 sacks last year, at least not against his $14 million salary.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #33
Bacchus

Quote:
Pretty much what I was saying yesterday. Not saying Doom is bad. Just not worth $14 million a year.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...website/18693/

Pro Football Focus was not impressed by Elvis Dumervilís 11.5 sacks last year, at least not against his $14 million salary.
And his salary next year is $12 million and the year after that it is $10 million and the final year of his salary is $8 million. He is fine. The only problem with Doom is he has to compete with Miller on the other side to see who can get to the QB first.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #34
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
And his salary next year is $12 million and the year after that it is $10 million and the final year of his salary is $8 million. He is fine. The only problem with Doom is he has to compete with Miller on the other side to see who can get to the QB first.
Again, he is a good player and I'm happy we have him. My only point is he got paid big time, then missed a season with an injury, then had an ok season last season. He has gotten paid BIG TIME the last two seasons and hasn't had big time production. I don't think asking him to take a little paycut is ridiculous so we can be better off come free agency time. Just my opinion.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #35
Mile High Salute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Already well under the cap.
+1. I'll also add that the whole "restructuring" discussion only really works when the player knows that if they don't agree to restructure, they might be cut. There's no way in hell Champ or Doom are going to be cut, no matter what their salary cap number. The whole "hey, we're going to need to ask you to restructure" discussion would be more applicable to someone like DJ, if the Broncos are even interested in keeping him around at all.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #36
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Anyone else happy to see DEN in this kind of financial position?

Everyone else broke the bank and did not get better (read Steelers and Jets) while DEN got younger and smarter. The roster will be changed only because of need not financial neccessity.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #37
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Anyone else happy to see DEN in this kind of financial position?

Everyone else broke the bank and did not get better (read Steelers and Jets) while DEN got younger and smarter. The roster will be changed only because of need not financial neccessity.
Yeah, I really agree with you. That is why I am way hesitant on signing Revis and giving up draft picks. I mean the tema is going good and I would hate to see a High paid CB with a gimpy knee mess everything up.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #38
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
+1. I'll also add that the whole "restructuring" discussion only really works when the player knows that if they don't agree to restructure, they might be cut. There's no way in hell Champ or Doom are going to be cut, no matter what their salary cap number. The whole "hey, we're going to need to ask you to restructure" discussion would be more applicable to someone like DJ, if the Broncos are even interested in keeping him around at all.
I don't agree with this. You are right, that makes it easier but I think sometimes someone like Champ who has made close to $100 million would be fine taking a little less to help get a title. Brady did it.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #39
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
I don't agree with this. You are right, that makes it easier but I think sometimes someone like Champ who has made close to $100 million would be fine taking a little less to help get a title. Brady did it.
Outside of a QB restructuring to help bring in FAs or whatever, I can't think of other players who are not QBs who have done this. Can you provide any examples? I just can't think of any off the top of my head.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #40
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

funny **** for sure.....

Doesn't matter what Dumervil, DJ, or Champ is worth to any of us.....it only matters what they're worth to the Broncos. Calm down....it isn't your money.....

Elway has shown he's a shrewd VP and can get quality players to come to Denver. I think he'll do just as well this year too.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #41
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
why aren't we?

Doom

DJ

Champ
Simply because they dont need to so why should they push money into future years. Every single team who has restructured players so far was over the cap and they needed to do it.

As for DJ Williams, there's no way they're restructuring that deal. He'll either be released, offered near a base minimum deal to stay or traded to some looney bin franchise who's prepared to give a chance to one of the biggest idiots in the league.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #42
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I don't know. Reed doesn't have much left. Welker is probably staying in NE now that Brady has restructured and they're rumored to be letting Lloyd go. Nnamdi? Maybe if he comes for significanly less money than he was making.
Reed has enough for Peyton's window. Welker has been getting the finger from Brady and Belicheat for over a year, he could potentially tell them both to go **** themselves. it was only injuries to Gronkowski, Hernandez and Edelman that brought him back as a focal point of that offense.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #43
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
A very odd statement indeed. Considering the Broncos landed the biggest FA ever last year.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #44
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
This right here.

Doom's salary is a down payment on future value, when all these young guys are going to start needing raises. How nice is it going to be paying Doom only $8-$10M for the heaviest years of Thomas' and Miller's contracts? Real damn nice.

Champ just signed his new deal, he took less than what he probably could have gotten on the open market and is barely in the "elite CB" money, which is where he still rightfully belongs.

DJ restructured in the middle of last season, taking a massive pay cut. He's also very possibly going to get outright dropped in the next few weeks, don't sweat it.

Other shoes will drop, the Broncos just have the luxury of being patient and letting other teams show their cards first. Lets wait and see what everyone else does and see how much the groceries are going to cost before we go to the ATM and start taking out cash.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #45
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
A very odd statement indeed. Considering the Broncos landed the biggest FA ever last year.
The broncos still had plenty of cap room to make more deals last year but still signed guys on the cheap. Manning was the eexception the last three years. I just won't be surprised to see the broncos sit out the first week of free agency again.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #46
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
The broncos still had plenty of cap room to make more deals last year but still signed guys on the cheap. Manning was the eexception the last three years. I just won't be surprised to see the broncos sit out the first week of free agency again.
You're right but it's all about value.

Bunkley earned around $1m in 2011, he earned over $5m last year, his productivity dropped.

Soliai was good in 2011, he got $6m last year and he was average at best.

You see where I'm going with this.

Broncos could've shelled out $25m to Bunkley for 5 more years or indeed $14m to Soliai for 2 yrs. They got Vickerson/Bannan and better production for around $2m last year.

On the other hand I'd argue the case that the likes of Mebane (was worth his big pay day last year) or that Melton or Starks are worth the ones they'll get this year but why drop big money on an average Joe
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #47
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Yeah, I'm not complaining..... the broncos have been far smarter about free agency since shanny left.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote