The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
Bacchus

Default Pats to target Bowe or Wallace?

Tom Brady contract might allow Patriots to target big wideout

By Ian Rapoport Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network

2) Brady deal frees up cash for Pats to spend. The conversations between the Patriots and Brady's representatives had been going on for some time, and Brady's focus was always on more than money. As he told one close friend late in the talks, "There's no wing in the Hall of Fame for who made the most money. It's about Super Bowls." This person also pointed out that while many say it's not about the money for them, Brady is living this idea. He left a ton on the table to help his team, taking a modest $3 million raise. There are two factors to consider. First, he'll give the team at least $20 more million to spend in free agency. Second, Brady always looked at older quarterbacks like John Elway and Dan Marino, noting how their increased salaries led to some late-career awkwardness. He doesn't want anything to taint his legacy. He's eliminated that possibility for himself.

3) Will New England make a play for a big wideout? We mentioned earlier in the week not to rule out a long-term deal being reached between Wes Welker and the Patriots. Brady's new contract ramps up the anticipation even more. I was told it wasn't wrong to link the Patriots' new salary-cap space with a possible resolution to the Welker situation. But I would be surprised if that was the only signing the team made during the free-agency period. There is still a thought that Brady, Welker and Co. need a big receiver on the outside, which has actually been a need since Randy Moss left. With the work that Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez (and maybe Welker) will do in the middle of the field in 2013, an outside threat would help immensely. Dwayne Bowe could still hit the market, and Mike Wallace has always garnered Bill Belichick's praise. Things just got interesting.

For rest of article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...t-mike-wallace
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Spaghetti, meet wall.

Also wtf does he mean with that jab at Marino and Elway? What does "awkward" even refer to?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Bowe isn't going anywhere. We're gonna tag him over Branden Albert if we can't get a deal done, especially with guys like Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher being available in the draft.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Spaghetti, meet wall.

Also wtf does he mean with that jab at Marino and Elway? What does "awkward" even refer to?
it's piss poor reporting......simple throwing in a jab and hoping no one either remembers or was alive when they played to prove him wrong.

Elway restructured many times at the end.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Brady's focus was always on more than money. As he told one close friend late in the talks, "There's no wing in the Hall of Fame for who made the most money. It's about Super Bowls." This person also pointed out that while many say it's not about the money for them, Brady is living this idea. He left a ton on the table to help his team, taking a modest $3 million raise.
Easy to say and do when your wife is worth a couple of hundred million dollars.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
SlyEli

do they really have enough cap room to resign welker and sign a guy like Wallace or Bowe? I mean they have guys on defense they need to worry about re-signing like talib.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #7
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

And if/when they do, cue up the "OHMYGOD, THE PATS ARE SO SMART, LOOKATALLTHATTALENTTHEYKEEPSIGNINGUNDEFEATED" talk that gets them through the regular season before fizzling out in the playoffs once again.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

They need secondary help. If the Chiefs tag Bowe, I would love to steal Brandon Albert from them.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Wasn't Elway playing for just about the Vet minimum at the end just so the team could make moves like the Pats are only talking about?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Tom Brady contract might allow Patriots to target big wideout

By Ian Rapoport Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network

2) Brady deal frees up cash for Pats to spend. The conversations between the Patriots and Brady's representatives had been going on for some time, and Brady's focus was always on more than money. As he told one close friend late in the talks, "There's no wing in the Hall of Fame for who made the most money. It's about Super Bowls." This person also pointed out that while many say it's not about the money for them, Brady is living this idea. He left a ton on the table to help his team, taking a modest $3 million raise. There are two factors to consider. First, he'll give the team at least $20 more million to spend in free agency. Second, Brady always looked at older quarterbacks like John Elway and Dan Marino, noting how their increased salaries led to some late-career awkwardness. He doesn't want anything to taint his legacy. He's eliminated that possibility for himself.

3) Will New England make a play for a big wideout? We mentioned earlier in the week not to rule out a long-term deal being reached between Wes Welker and the Patriots. Brady's new contract ramps up the anticipation even more. I was told it wasn't wrong to link the Patriots' new salary-cap space with a possible resolution to the Welker situation. But I would be surprised if that was the only signing the team made during the free-agency period. There is still a thought that Brady, Welker and Co. need a big receiver on the outside, which has actually been a need since Randy Moss left. With the work that Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez (and maybe Welker) will do in the middle of the field in 2013, an outside threat would help immensely. Dwayne Bowe could still hit the market, and Mike Wallace has always garnered Bill Belichick's praise. Things just got interesting.

For rest of article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...t-mike-wallace
Brady is a douche. That awkwardness allowed the team to bring in a Neil Smith and sent Elway into the sunset with back to back rings.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
They need secondary help. If the Chiefs tag Bowe, I would love to steal Brandon Albert from them.
then what? stick him at guard or RT and kick Franklin inside?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibroncofan View Post
do they really have enough cap room to resign welker and sign a guy like Wallace or Bowe? I mean they have guys on defense they need to worry about re-signing like talib.
Rumor has it in the local circles that they're going to let Talib and Brandon Lloyd go. Their ideal scenario is to go with the younger guys at DB that have been drafted recently and then grab Ed Reed to shore up the back end, sign Welker and then sign a Bowe or Wallace.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Rumor has it in the local circles that they're going to let Talib and Brandon Lloyd go. Their ideal scenario is to go with the younger guys at DB that have been drafted recently and then grab Ed Reed to shore up the back end, sign Welker and then sign a Bowe or Wallace.
i really hope that their bull**** treatment of Welker pissed him off enough that he tells them to go **** themselves and sign a moderately priced deal for another AFC contender.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

lol at the pot shots at Marino and especially Elway. I remember those years pretty well and Shanahan was all about bringing in FAs and paying them well. Elway was a big help in that department, he restructured his contract a few times.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #15
DENVERDUI55

I think the best hope is that Miami prices those WR at a very high salary. I expect them to get at least one of them. They have the money, players would pocket more money there and every athlete's dream is to live in Miami. They could hang with LeBron and spread their seed to all the hot women there.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #16
Johnykbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
it's piss poor reporting......simple throwing in a jab and hoping no one either remembers or was alive when they played to prove him wrong.

Elway restructured many times at the end.
Hell, Elway was making around 300k in his last season.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #17
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
then what? stick him at guard or RT and kick Franklin inside?
Ideally you could have one or the other at either position. And maybe let Kuper move to Center. I guess it depends on how Kupe's rehab goes.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

People have to remember that Bill Belichick invented modern day football and Tom Brady is his poster child.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #19
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I think the best hope is that Miami prices those WR at a very high salary. I expect them to get at least one of them. They have the money, players would pocket more money there and every athlete's dream is to live in Miami. They could hang with LeBron and spread their seed to all the hot women there.
FL has no state income tax too - that's like a 5-8% bonus.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #20
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
That is why I said more money in their pockets. I don't know what MA taxes are but probably sky high like any liberal state.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
That is why I said more money in their pockets. I don't know what MA taxes are but probably sky high like any liberal state.

It all evens out in the end IMO. What one state lacks in income tax, they make up for in real estate tax or some other tax. There's no escape from taxes.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #22
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
It all evens out in the end IMO. What one state lacks in income tax, they make up for in real estate tax or some other tax. There's no escape from taxes.
Sales taxes are 6 percent here in St Johns county (differs by county, Jacksonville/Duval Co is 7%, don't know what Maimi-Dade is), but I can control how much I spend (or make purchases where I'm not subject to tax). Real Estate taxes can be controlled by how much house you buy and where. Income taxes for your regular income are tougher to get around.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Sales taxes are 6 percent here in St Johns county (differs by county, Jacksonville/Duval Co is 7%, don't know what Maimi-Dade is), but I can control how much I spend (or make purchases where I'm not subject to tax). Real Estate taxes can be controlled by how much house you buy and where. Income taxes for your regular income are tougher to get around.
Disagree. Just like you can control how little you spend or how little of a house you buy and where, you can also control how little you make and where. AND there are deductions you can take advantage of to reduce your taxable income to the point where it can get to zero or close to it. It's not as clear cut an advantage as you think.

On top of all that, most of the taxes you pay, you don't even know about. The local government will call them fees or something else to avoid calling them taxes.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #24
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Disagree. Just like you can control how little you spend or how little of a house you buy and where, you can also control how little you make and where. AND there are deductions you can take advantage of to reduce your taxable income to the point where it can get to zero or close to it. It's not as clear cut an advantage as you think.

On top of all that, most of the taxes you pay, you don't even know about. The local government will call them fees or something else to avoid calling them taxes.
I'm not saying you can't just that it's tougher. We moved from Oregon almost 4 years ago - no sales tax, 9.6% income tax and high property tax - to Florida - 6% sales tax, no income tax and about half the property tax (twice the size house, same $$ paid, so about 50% less in prop tax). OR there wasn't much you could do to minimize your income tax hit. I'd take FL for the taxes without hesitation, and that's not taking into account some high locale like in the NE.

Again, I'm not saying there aren't tradeoffs, just that the best trade off for me seems to be having no income taxes.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #25
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Somewhat but not when making the money that these guys are talking. Look at California taxes. The whole reason the heat pulled off the big 3 was no state income tax. Look at Mass for example little over 5 percent income tax and slightly lower property tax than Florida. Let's say you made 10 million a year you would save a ton of money by living in Florida. There is a reason so many super rich people/athletes like Tiger and MJ live there.

Last edited by DENVERDUI55; 02-27-2013 at 10:33 AM..