The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #101
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Evidently the Cardinals are now in the mix. Bidding War, can not wait for KC to trade a couple of picks for Smith.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #102
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Cardinals and the Chiefs....lol

Didn't the Cards throw a boat load of money at last years flavor of the month QB that hardly played for them last year.

Stupid..............
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #103
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Cardinals could use a steadey vet like Alex Smith.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #104
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

This reminds me of when we picked up Plummer. There was no alternative and that's where KC is.

But, as someone said, Smith works best in a good system. Maybe Reid will make it a better system but Smith also depends on a good running game and if Reid passes all the time......
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #105
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
Alex Smith is easily the best choice right now. Geno Smith really scares me, especially after his interview with Mooch where he got confused.

I think Reid is going to go the same route Mike Shannahan did. Don't waste a 1st round pick on an average-at-best QB simply because it's a need. Build the team up with BPA philosophy and trade for a band-aid until you identify your guy in the draft.

And anyone who says Matt Cassel is better than Alex Smith should be shot. Cassel never beat good teams. Ever. He always played like **** and turned the ball over against good defenses.
At least Alex Smith has shown he can beat good teams.

He's an average QB, but he's much better than Cassel.
Cassel looked pretty good on a stacked team. Alex Smith looked pretty good on a stacked team. Seem pretty much the same to me.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #106
Bacchus

Quote:
Alex Smith is easily the best choice right now. Geno Smith really scares me, especially after his interview with Mooch where he got confused.

I think Reid is going to go the same route Mike Shannahan did. Don't waste a 1st round pick on an average-at-best QB simply because it's a need. Build the team up with BPA philosophy and trade for a band-aid until you identify your guy in the draft.

And anyone who says Matt Cassel is better than Alex Smith should be shot. Cassel never beat good teams. Ever. He always played like **** and turned the ball over against good defenses.
At least Alex Smith has shown he can beat good teams.

He's an average QB, but he's much better than Cassel.
Not one person in this thread said Cassell was better than Smith.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #107
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Evidently the Cardinals are now in the mix. Bidding War, can not wait for KC to trade a couple of picks for Smith.
i am going to laugh my ass off when someone drops a Cutler type deal for Smith.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #108
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Are there any other FA qbs out there with starting experience?

Alex Smith doesnt suck, but I would not want to invest very much into him

If the Chiefs arent sold on Geno, they could always pick up a FA and get someone like a Bray or maybe a Tyler Wilson with their 2nd rounder

Frankly Geno looked too much like a system qb for me to be really confident in him, but at the same time it is not like this draft is top heavy with elite prospects
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #109
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
Are there any other FA qbs out there with starting experience?

Alex Smith doesnt suck, but I would not want to invest very much into him

If the Chiefs arent sold on Geno, they could always pick up a FA and get someone like a Bray or maybe a Tyler Wilson with their 2nd rounder

Frankly Geno looked too much like a system qb for me to be really confident in him, but at the same time it is not like this draft is top heavy with elite prospects
That's my plan.

I'll accept Alex Smith if we draft a QB at 34 like Tyler Wilson or EJ Manuel.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #110
Bacchus

Quote:
That's my plan.

Why would you want to spend at least $10 million a year on Smith and then draft Tyler Wilson in the 2nd. Draft Wilson in the second and let him battle it out with Brady Quinn or Kyle Orton or whoever KC has on there team.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #111
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
Cardinals and the Chiefs....lol

Didn't the Cards throw a boat load of money at last years flavor of the month QB that hardly played for them last year.

Stupid..............
What else are they going to do, trot out Ryan Lindley again?

The difference between Alex Smith and Matt Cassel or especially Kevin Kolb is Smith is a proven commodity. You can win with him in the right situation, and you can do so paying him less than ten million a year. For a marginal franchise with QB play as atrocious as Arizona's, that's not a bad bet.

Then again, there's no way I'm trading Smith in the division if I'm the Niners and there are other options available. He doesn't make the Cardinals scary, but you don't need to be scary to steal wins the in the NFL, and then all of a sudden the NFC West looks like a top tier division.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #112
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
That's my plan.

I'd hate it if kc got Wilson.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #113
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Why would you want to spend at least $10 million a year on Smith and then draft Tyler Wilson in the 2nd. Draft Wilson in the second and let him battle it out with Brady Quinn or Kyle Orton or whoever KC has on there team.
It was just reported that Cassel is about to be cut soon and Brady Quinn is a free agent.

I would be very comfortable with Alex Smith and Tyler Wilson. I think Wilson needs to develop a year or two, but he has everything you want.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #114
Bacchus

Quote:
It was just reported that Cassel is about to be cut soon and Brady Quinn is a free agent.

I would be very comfortable with Alex Smith and Tyler Wilson. I think Wilson needs to develop a year or two, but he has everything you want.
Well, Smith is going to want a 5 year $50 million AT LEAST.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #115
FearLanier

Quote:
I'm ok with 5. That's $2.25 million less than Cassel would make.

Chiefs have a lot of money and will have more after restructuring with guys like Tyson Jackson who are scheduled to make $14 million this year.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #116
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
He's on a one year deal, but maybe the Cards/chiefs/stupid team is dumb enough to give him an extension. Let him play out the year.

I'm surprise there is really that much interest in him or the SF front office is blowing smoke. They are not going to pay him $8.5 million to sit on the bench.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #117
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
He's on a one year deal, but maybe the Cards/chiefs/stupid team is dumb enough to give him an extension. Let him play out the year.

I'm surprise there is really that much interest in him or the SF front office is blowing smoke. They are not going to pay him $8.5 million to sit on the bench.
Are the Chiefs and Cards the only teams interested?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #118
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I'd hate it if kc got Wilson.
Same.

I really dig Wilson.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #119
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Are the Chiefs and Cards the only teams interested?

Probably others. Or more like "inquired". Cleveland, Jacksonville, NYJ, Oak maybe even Philly. The GM's there would not be doing the job if they did not at least ask.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #120
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

If Chiefs get him for a 3rd round pick I would have to say that is a great move. Maybe not a we are going to win a superbowl with him good but plenty good to work on other areas with your high picks in the first, 2nd, 4th, 5th etc through the rest of the draft.

Chiefs would be smart to keep building offense around what Charles can do. That means block for him like when Priest Holmes was there.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #121
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
I'm ok with 5. That's $2.25 million less than Cassel would make.

Chiefs have a lot of money and will have more after restructuring with guys like Tyson Jackson who are scheduled to make $14 million this year.
You sign him for 5 years 50 million, you're stuck with him for probably most of that contract.

Cassell part deux!
boltaneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #122
extralife
Ring of Famer

any starting QB that isn't on a rookie deal is going to get ten million a year. as long as you aren't doling out a huge signing bonus you can still cut him basically whenever without killing the cap. I don't think he has the kind of leverage to force a contract that will kill a team if he fails (again).
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:52 AM   #123
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

I think Smith better then Cassel though don't you guys? Not saying he's super exciting player but he can make some throws and doesn't make a lot of mistakes.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #124
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I think Smith better then Cassel though don't you guys? Not saying he's super exciting player but he can make some throws and doesn't make a lot of mistakes.
If I felt Smith was what KC was going to do and I was a KC fan, I'd really just rather draft Geno at #1. You know what you are getting with Smith. Geno could be great, maybe not. Hell, I would take Barkley, Wilson or Landry over Smith. Smith is a conservative Kyle Orton.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #125
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Alex Smith has three (3) career games with >300 passing yards in 77 starts (counting playoffs).

As a starting QB, Alex Smith led teams had exactly one winning season in 5 years... a season with the #29 passing offense and the #4 scoring defense.

Alex smith, at this point, is not a difference maker. He is a care-taker. He can win games with a dominant defense and a stout running game.

I don't see him being successful in an Andy Reid offense that calls on him to make quick reads and get the ball out on time. He does have some mobility which Reid likes.

is he an upgrade over Cassel? i'm not sure. probably, but that's not really saying much.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote