The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #776
rolandftw
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
Funny you've mentioned that, I was ready to come up with the possible reasons why we lost had we actually lost this game, like for example, the error by Workman, the stab he took at the ground ball by Iglesias that resulted in an infield hit, the walks by Morales, etc, etc...
It's baseball man, we all run into misfortunes and that's just part of the game...
Really don't have a fight in this, as I'm not a fan of the Red Sox or Tigers. Just think that was a big turning point in the game, and a call that Scherzer normally gets.

Red Sox deserve credit for winning and getting the big hits. Two grand slams in key situations, basically won the Pennant
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #777
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,020

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Hope St Louis rips Boston a new one.
St Louis will be lucky if they don't get swept......again. They don't have Detroit's starting pitching, and that's Boston's only kryptonite right now.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #778
rolandftw
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
St Louis will be lucky if they don't get swept......again. They don't have Detroit's starting pitching, and that's Boston's only kryptonite right now.
No DH in the NL, but Cardinals ERA lowest in MLB for the postseason. Might not have the Tigers starting pitching, but they have a significantly better bullpen. Which was really why Detroit lost
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #779
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,679
Default

It going to be very tough series for both team and the team that grinds it out better is going to win it all. I expect it to go 7 with Sox stealing one to win the series.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #780
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer
 
Finger Roll's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,545
Default

I think the cardinals will win it. Just a hunch
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #781
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
St Louis will be lucky if they don't get swept......again. They don't have Detroit's starting pitching, and that's Boston's only kryptonite right now.
Uh, have you seen any of the Cards games? Their pitching has been fantastic.
Wacca was pitching brilliantly, blanked the Dodgers over what, 13-14 innings? Wainwright is a stud. Lynn and Kelly are a little more iffy right now. But the bullpen is fantastic, and as a team the ERA is just 2.34 with a WHIP under 1.

I don't see a sweep coming, but I actually see some low scoring games again.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #782
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,020

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Uh, have you seen any of the Cards games? Their pitching has been fantastic.
Wacca was pitching brilliantly, blanked the Dodgers over what, 13-14 innings? Wainwright is a stud. Lynn and Kelly are a little more iffy right now. But the bullpen is fantastic, and as a team the ERA is just 2.34 with a WHIP under 1.

I don't see a sweep coming, but I actually see some low scoring games again.
You're talking playoffs and ignoring the regular season. That would be a mistake IMO.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #783
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,210
Default

boston in 3.

No way can the little Cardinals hang with a powerhouse like that.

Last edited by bombay; 10-20-2013 at 09:55 AM..
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #784
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
You're talking playoffs and ignoring the regular season. That would be a mistake IMO.
Wacha was pitching studly in the regular season as well. Same with Wainwright.
Heck the Cards elect to keep Shelby Miller in the bullpen, a guy who pitched brilliantly during the regular season.
Kelly was great in the regular season as well. Lynn is solid with good K numbers.
Frankly I don't like Kelly that much and think the Cards should've went with Miller, but too late now.
Not to mention a solid bullpen numbers during the regular season.

And again, it is all about how they are pitching NOW, not 2 months ago. And right now, the Cards are pitching extremely well, as they have all year.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #785
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,020

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Wacha was pitching studly in the regular season as well. Same with Wainwright.
Heck the Cards elect to keep Shelby Miller in the bullpen, a guy who pitched brilliantly during the regular season.
Kelly was great in the regular season as well. Lynn is solid with good K numbers.
Frankly I don't like Kelly that much and think the Cards should've went with Miller, but too late now.
Not to mention a solid bullpen numbers during the regular season.

And again, it is all about how they are pitching NOW, not 2 months ago. And right now, the Cards are pitching extremely well, as they have all year.
I'm not arguing that they weren't good during the regular season. Just arguing that they were significantly LESS good than in the playoffs, which were the numbers you quoted.

And it's also very different pitching to the AL vs NL. The Dodgers have nowhere near the quality and depth of hitting of the Sox from top to bottom.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #786
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,210
Default

It didn't feel like it in early October of 2004, but by the end of the World Series it was kind of obvious: the Cardinals were fairly tired and spent as a team. Defanged.

The numbers looked good, of course, but the reality was that the offense had started to scuffle just a bit. Edmonds was sore. Womack got hurt in the playoffs. Worse was the pitching. Carp was shut down. Morris, Williams, Suppan, Marquis gave the Cardinals 4 guys who couldn't miss a bat if they tried. Instead of nutting up and sticking Dan Haren in there to see what he could do, they relegated him to the bullpen in long relief (thankfully a mistake TLR and Duncan learned from for 2006 and beyond). Boston's grindy lineup put the Cardinals pitching through a wringer. The injured offense--after losing a heartbreaker in game 1 (thanks Julian Tavarez!) never again would even leave the first inning of a series game where they weren't behind the rest of the way. It was over.

More of the same this season. boston in 3.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #787
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer
 
Vegas_Bronco's Avatar
 
Fear is a lack of preparation.

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Now 64 Yards Out
Posts: 5,027

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1
Default

St Louis in 6. Get ready to hear the name 'Allen Craig' again as the DH. Shane Robinson will be replacing John Jay (I hope) which will provide solid play in the center of the outfield.

Boston is no joke, but the Cards have played near flawless - machinelike baseball and have a team batting average of under .200 AND STILL WINNING...how that happens, is with phenomenal pitching.

If cardinals start hitting behind this pitching, could be over quickly. This could be one of the best postseason pitching crews in MLB history. I don't see Boston going grand slam 'red sox magic' in any of the games.


The Cards boasted the NL’s best offense this season matched up against a phenomenal Red Sox pitching crew. Watch for Yadier Molina to expose the REd Sox pitching for the team...Cards will find the weaknesses in the Sox bullpen for consistent wins.
Attached Images
 
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #788
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,024
Default

Jim Leyland won't return as manager of the Detroit Tigers next season, a decision the team will announce in a Monday morning news conference, according to multiple reports.

Leyland, 68, told the team he was stepping down after the Tigers' Game 6 loss to the Boston Red Sox in the AL Championship Series, Fox Sports reported.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #789
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,024
Default

I'd like to see the Tigers hire Dusty Baker as their next manager.

They need a manager that knows how to deal with big stars and veteran players and Dusty Baker would fill that role perfectly.

Dusty Baker is 64 years old, so that might work against him....but I don't see that as an issue.

The current teams has a 3 to 4 year window and then they'll start rebuilding and spending a lot less money.

Kirk Gibson has been mentioned, but I don't see him leaving Arizona, as he's still under contract with the Diamondbacks.

It would be cool to see Kirk Gibson back with the Tigers, but I'm not sure how his personality would mesh with all of the veteran players.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #790
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,210
Default




At seven!
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #791
crawdad
IL Oldest Bronco Maniac
 
crawdad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 5,052

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
St Louis will be lucky if they don't get swept......again. They don't have Detroit's starting pitching, and that's Boston's only kryptonite right now.
Are you effing kidding me! Have you seen Wacha or Wainright pitch?
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #792
crawdad
IL Oldest Bronco Maniac
 
crawdad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 5,052

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
boston in 3.

No way can the little Cardinals hang with a powerhouse like that.
3 what?
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #793
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,020

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
Are you effing kidding me! Have you seen Wacha or Wainright pitch?
Yup, not saying they`re not good, just not AS good a unit as detroit. And detroit did it in the AL.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #794
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,659

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

On my mother's side, the whole family is from the Boston area. Got to go with the Red Sox. Normally, I would always root for the National League, but as a lifelong Dodgers fan, F the Cardinals!
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #795
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I'm not arguing that they weren't good during the regular season. Just arguing that they were significantly LESS good than in the playoffs, which were the numbers you quoted.

And it's also very different pitching to the AL vs NL. The Dodgers have nowhere near the quality and depth of hitting of the Sox from top to bottom.
This screams of homerism. I mean, seriously.
I mean, you want to throw out what the pitching staff is doing right now, looking at the regular season, which was still damn impressive.

Then, you want to say the Dodgers lineup was terrible.
Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, Hanley Ramirez, Puig, plus add in decent depth with Uribe, Ellis, Young, etc.
The Dodgers have a good solid lineup, and the Cards shut it down.

I just find it fascinating you expect the Red Sox to just steam roll the Cards.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #796
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,020

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
This screams of homerism. I mean, seriously.
I mean, you want to throw out what the pitching staff is doing right now, looking at the regular season, which was still damn impressive..
Nope. Not throw out the post season. I was ADDING regular season for context when it was originally being ignored completely in the original post that I responded to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Then, you want to say the Dodgers lineup was terrible.
Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, Hanley Ramirez, Puig, plus add in decent depth with Uribe, Ellis, Young, etc.
The Dodgers have a good solid lineup, and the Cards shut it down..
Nowhere did I say it was terrible. C'mon now. I said it wasn't as good or as deep as the Sox. And it's not. Are you really arguing that?

They scored 200 fewer runs than the Sox this season and were ranked 17th in the league. The very definition of average.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
I just find it fascinating you expect the Red Sox to just steam roll the Cards.
To be honest, I don't. But I would be a lot more shocked if it took them 7 games than 5 or 6. I really just think Detroit was a tougher matchup for us on paper.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #797
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
3 what?

I had no idea that boston was such a powerhouse. But since I found out, can't imagine it'll take 'em 4 whole games to dispatch the poor Cardinals. Probly only 3.

Think of me as Keith Law in '06. He predicted the tigers in three. I think it was just to emphasize how the Cardinals have no shot.

Last edited by bombay; 10-22-2013 at 02:34 PM..
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #798
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,020

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
I had no idea that boston was such a powerhouse. But since I found out, can't imagine it'll take 'em 4 whole games to dispatch the poor Cardinals. Probly only 3.

Think of me as Keith Law in '06. He predicted the tigers in three. I think it was just to emphasize how the Cardinals have no shot.
Finally...the voice of reason.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #799
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,210
Default

Low 34°

Showers Early
Chance of Rain:40%
Wind: W at 8 mph
Humidity:74%
Sunset: 5:50 pm
Moonrise: 9:15 pm
Moonphase:Waning Gibbous

A few showers in the evening with clear skies overnight. Low 34F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Tomorrow's weather in that ****hole.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #800
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,020

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Yup...folks are gonna earn it tomorrow. Could be sleeting on and off.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Denver Broncos