The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #501
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I'm no A-Rod apologist, but I think he's got a right to fight this suspension, as he's kind of getting the shaft.

If Ryan Braun only got 60+ games, there's no way A-Rod deserves almost a year and a half.
Braun at least failed a test. How he was able to beat it is a failure and a slap in the face to MLB. I don't agree with MLB breaking its own rules to suspend a player longer because it has an agenda.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #502
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I'm no A-Rod apologist, but I think he's got a right to fight this suspension, as he's kind of getting the shaft.

If Ryan Braun only got 60+ games, there's no way A-Rod deserves almost a year and a half.
We don't know the details but what if they have records of ARod selling them to the other players? What if he was a mule or middleman? If he wants to appeal, there will be a lot more coming out concerning AFraud. Also, he has admitted to using with the Rangers.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #503
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Braun at least failed a test. How he was able to beat it is a failure and a slap in the face to MLB. I don't agree with MLB breaking its own rules to suspend a player longer because it has an agenda.
MLB has lawyers, bro. So clearly they have a lengthy case and considerable evidence against him or they wouldn't have done this. Might MLB lose the appeal? Yes. But they're not going into this fight without weapons. Did you even bother to read Selig's statement?

Quote:
MLB commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement that Rodriguez's punishment will begin Thursday and cover the rest of the 2013 regular season, the 2013 postseason and the 2014 regular season and was covered under the drug program's protocols and based on Rodriguez's "use and possession of numerous forms of prohibited performance-enhancing substances, including testosterone and human growth hormone, over the course of multiple years."

"Rodriguez's discipline under the Basic Agreement is for attempting to cover-up his violations of the program by engaging in a course of conduct intended to obstruct and frustrate the Office of the Commissioner's investigation," Selig said in the statement.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/95...k-yankees-2014
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #504
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
MLB has lawyers, bro. So clearly they have a lengthy case and considerable evidence against him or they wouldn't have done this. Might MLB lose the appeal? Yes. But they're not going into this fight without weapons. Did you even bother to read Selig's statement?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/95...k-yankees-2014
I read it the first time it was posted, but feel free to post it many more times. I don't care about the MLB's lawyers. They have rules they put in place. If they have prior failed drug tests from ARoid then that is one thing. All this looks like is a butt hurt Selig because he couldn't bust ARoid in the first place.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #505
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I read it the first time it was posted, but feel free to post it many more times. I don't care about the MLB's lawyers. They have rules they put in place. If they have prior failed drug tests from ARoid then that is one thing. All this looks like is a butt hurt Selig because he couldn't bust ARoid in the first place.
There's plenty of information out there about the general allegations and evidence against Rodriguez. Again, maybe MLB's punishment is out of line and won't be upheld by an arbitrator. But it's not like A-Rod is some innocent victim in all of this.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/enter...driguez/67552/

Here's a pretty good read on one possible reason MLB may lose (but, we don't know what other/further evidence MLB has against him beyond the Melky Cabrera precedent):
http://www.businessinsider.com/melky...t-a-rod-2013-8
Old 08-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #506
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I hope Afraud goes down hard but at least he is screwing the Yanks for his contract this season. To make it extra special, I hope he flops with a .222 average with 4 homeruns in the next 2 months.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #507
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
There's plenty of information out there about the general allegations and evidence against Rodriguez. Again, maybe MLB's punishment is out of line and won't be upheld by an arbitrator. But it's not like A-Rod is some innocent victim in all of this.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/enter...driguez/67552/

Here's a pretty good read on one possible reason MLB may lose (but, we don't know what other/further evidence MLB has against him beyond the Melky Cabrera precedent):
http://www.businessinsider.com/melky...t-a-rod-2013-8
Unless it says in there that the MLB can make up suspension lengths for PED users in the CBA I don't want to hear it. I don't care if ARoid ever plays again or not. I care about MLB making up its own rules to punish whoever they want as long as they want for whatever BS reason they want.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #508
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Unless it says in there that the MLB can make up suspension lengths for PED users in the CBA I don't want to hear it. I don't care if ARoid ever plays again or not. I care about MLB making up its own rules to punish whoever they want as long as they want for whatever BS reason they want.
CBA allows the commissioner to decide the length of the suspension. The player has the right to appeal to agreed outside arbitrator
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #509
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Unless it says in there that the MLB can make up suspension lengths for PED users in the CBA I don't want to hear it.
as has been mentioned, it's not just for using PEDs.

think of it this way, if someone is arrested in the real world for a theft as well as tampering w/ witnesses or obstructing justice, their punishment then will likely encompass all 3 crimes and chances are that punishment may be greater than the punishment reserved for simple theft--especially if that person is found guilty after passing on a plea deal.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #510
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
CBA allows the commissioner to decide the length of the suspension. The player has the right to appeal to agreed outside arbitrator
Not for drug rules.

Major League Baseball may try to suspend Alex Rodriguez under its collective bargaining agreement instead of its drug rules, which would eliminate any chance of delaying a penalty until after the case goes to an arbitrator, The Associated Press has learned.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...#ixzz2b8qW7U8Z
Old 08-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #511
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
as has been mentioned, it's not just for using PEDs.

think of it this way, if someone is arrested in the real world for a theft as well as tampering w/ witnesses or obstructing justice, their punishment then will likely encompass all 3 crimes and chances are that punishment may be greater than the punishment reserved for simple theft--especially if that person is found guilty after passing on a plea deal.
It's not the real world and it's not up to ARoid to make the MLB's job easier when it comes to him getting caught cheating.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #512
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Report: Melky Cabrera used fake website to create explanation for positive drug test.

Melky Cabrera was straightforward with the public this week, quickly admitting to a positive testosterone test and apologizing to the Giants and their fans before accepting a 50-game ban that ended his regular season.

A report from the New York Daily News on Sunday morning, however, alleges that the San Francisco Giants outfielder probably didn't have much choice after failing to deceive the league with a phony website that was created during the appeals process.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...3610--mlb.html

Why didn't he get anymore games?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #513
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
It's not the real world and it's not up to ARoid to make the MLB's job easier when it comes to him getting caught cheating.
as to the bolded, I agree but imo the analogy is pertinent.

to the latter, obstructing an investigation and tampering with evidence is different than simply not cooperating.

as far as why Cabrera didn't get the same punishment, I don't know nor do I care. Maybe he cooperated and took a deal as Rodriguez was rumoured to be given a plea deal after he was cught. Don't know and don't really care. I was just trying to explain how I see it as far as MLB punishing Rodriguez outside the scope of the CBA's drug rules. The arbiter will likely sort it out and I already don't look forward to the media scrutiny there.

I'm already sick of hearing about this story and was just trying to flesh out how the MLB decided this was beyond just a drug ban.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 08-05-2013 at 07:19 PM..
Old 08-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #514
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
as to the bolded, I agree but imo the analogy is pertinent.

to the latter, obstructing an investigation and tampering with evidence is different than simply not cooperating.

as far as why Cabrera didn't get the same punishment, I don't know nor do I care. Maybe he cooperated and took a deal as Rodriguez was rumoured to be given a plea deal after he was cught. Don't know and don't really care. I was just trying to explain how I see it as far as MLB punishing Rodriguez outside the scope of the CBA's drug rules. The arbiter will likely sort it out and I already don't look forward to the media scrutiny there.

I'm already sick of hearing about this story and was just trying to flesh out how the MLB decided this was beyond just a drug ban.
Sorry man this just reminds me of the bounty gate. They claimed to have a mountain of evidence, then when it came to present it they had nothing. This is all about ARoids contract and how to help the Yankees IMO.

Ps I hope he gets suspended in the long run. I just think 211 games is too long.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 08-05-2013 at 07:41 PM..
Old 08-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #515
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

The Tribe were up on the Tigers 2-0, going into the 9th inning, but the Tigers scored 4 runs, including Alex Avila's 'Earl Weaver Special', to give the Tigers a 4-2 win.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #516
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
that requires them to have top FA's the sign and their main needs are pitching. which almost every top tier guy has been re-signed by his club, Hamels,Kershaw,Verlander,Hernandez.

Garza and Johnson are the best available in 2014, i doubt Texas lets Garza walk. Scherzer? maybe but i can't imagine the Yanks will pay the contract he'll land.
Quote:
...a suspension lasting as long as has been proposed would save the Yankees about $34 million. More than just saved salary, that money wouldn't count against the team's luxury tax threshold. That could open the door for the Yankees to aggressively pursue a variety of high-priced players, ranging from re-signing Robinson Cano and Hiroki Kuroda to courting free agents like Shin Soo-Choo, Jacoby Ellsbury, Matt Garza, Carlos Beltran, Brian McCann, Hunter Pence, and others. They could also look into trades for high-priced players the way the Dodgers did last summer (or more likely, something not quite that ambitious). As things stand, the Yankees have only seven players under contract for next season, including Rodriguez, with a total committed payroll of about $89 million — not counting multiple other players under team control who'll be eligible for arbitration or renewals. Ditch A-Rod's salary and you could, say, pay full freight to outbid L.A. and other potential suitors on Cano, bring back all or most of your team-controlled players not under long-term deals, and still fill out the rest with quality talent … all the while ducking under next year's $189 million luxury tax, thus saving tens of millions of dollars, now and in the future.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...is-suspensions
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #517
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

The Tigers have won 10 games in a row and 14 out of their last 15, beating the Tribe again 5-1 tonight.

That opens up a 5 game lead in the division.

Miggy drove in his 100th RBI on the season, despite being hobbled the last few weeks with a hip flexor.

Justin Verlander looks like he might be getting back in a groove, with his second solid outing in a row: 8 IP 4 hits 1 ER 0 BB and 7 Ks.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 08-06-2013 at 08:00 PM..
Old 08-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #518
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
that requires them to have top FA's the sign and their main needs are pitching. which almost every top tier guy has been re-signed by his club, Hamels,Kershaw,Verlander,Hernandez.

Garza and Johnson are the best available in 2014, i doubt Texas lets Garza walk. Scherzer? maybe but i can't imagine the Yanks will pay the contract he'll land.
Max Scherzer is currently signed through 2014, so he won't be a free agent until after the 2014 season....I'm hoping Detroit finds a way to extend his deal, but they've got a lot of upcoming contracts to deal with in the next few seasons.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #519
bombay
Ring of Famer

Cardinals finally win a game. The Dodgers had won something like 15 consecutive road games going into this one. Cards are 20 over .500
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #520
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Interesting read on the lengths MLB went to investigating the Biogenesis scandal.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/95...ts-report-says
Old 08-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #521
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

The Tigers beat the Tribe 6-5 in 14 innings for their 11th win in a row and 15th win in their last 16 games.

Lead in the division is up to 6 games.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #522
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

The Tigers take all 4 games in the series and sweep the Tribe on the road.

Max Scherzer ups his record to 17-1 on the season.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #523
bombay
Ring of Famer

Mitchell Boggs should just turn around and throw the ball into the gaps and save everyone some time.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #524
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Yanks get it done in the 10th against the Tigers after Mo blew a strong outing by Ivan Nova. A-Fraud goes 0-4, striking out 3 times and getting booed at home.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #525
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

The Yankees stopped the Tigers' winning streak at 12 games.

Miguel Cabrera even took Mariano Rivera deep with a 2 out, 2 run HR in the 9th inning to tie the game 3-3.

Link to the HR:

http://wapc.mlb.com/play?content_id=29566263

The Yankees ended up winning 4-3 in 10 innings, but that was an epic blast off the best reliever of all time.

Miggy might not catch Chris Davis in HRs to win the Triple Crown again....especially if that hip flexor keeps bothering Miggy the rest of the season.

Miggy's still having an incredible season....a .360 average with 34 HRs and 108 RBIs....and he's only played in 106 games.

Chris Davis has 41 HRs....his batting average keeps dipping, but he keeps hitting HRs and is tied with Miggy at 108 RBIs.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 08-09-2013 at 11:24 PM..