The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Default Stupid crap Phil Simms says

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
Or, as Phil Simms would say, "He threw it so well that it just kept going."
This post, made in this thread, is just one example of Simms acting as a Patriots apologist, making excuses for them at every possible moment. Apparently Brady didn't simply overthrow his WR...he threw the ball so perfectly that it traveled 5 yards farther than intended. It also reminded me of another ridiculous thing Simms said during the broadcast:

I believe it was when NE punted on 4th and 16 from the Denver 39 on the first play of the second quarter. Simms was talking about how they could have kicked the 57 yard FG, because in the Denver elevation, it's more like a 45 yarder. The altitude adds 12 yards to kicks? Are you kidding me? Just another dig at Denver and how we presumably have such an advantage by kicking in Denver 8 games per year. Simms really says some stupid ****.
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Ya when I head that I could only shake my head. The media bias towards the patriots is ridiculous.

Edit: towards Brady as well.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I liked how when Julius (I think it was him?) got mugged on that pass in the end zone early in the game he was basically saying it was his fault for not being more physical. So, yes, the defender clearly grabbed the receiver in obvious violation of the rules, but the receiver should have been more physical and not let it happen. Never mind that the ****ing official should throw the flag!
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Phil's problem is that he has to have some complex answer for everything. How about just say, wow Brady over threw him on that one, just a bad throw, it happens. But alas, he's got to say something totally stupid like a perfect throw will go further then you intended, as if you weren't trying to make the best throw you could, lol.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
BroncsCheer
Scrappy, cerebral poster

There is no dark side on the moon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny T

I tweeted him after the game (and 10 beers) basically telling him I thought he and Jim needed to quit next year, please.

Responded with, 'you made a conscious choice to watch football. Don't blame me for how it turned out.'

I realized that I probably wouldn't get anywhere since it's twitter and I was hammered

I think he probably thinks he 's got **** that doesn't stink, and he dislikes the broncos
BroncsCheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Simms is firmly entrenched in the BB's camp as he was the Giants DC for their super bowl runs when Phil was on the team. He came off way biased. It was hard to listen to.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
g00fyfoot
Seasoned Veteran

eem (him)
g00fyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

Simms was unbelievable to be honest. The same 2 incidents stuck out for me and I was yelling at the TV!

Trying to blame Thomas for a blatant blatant PI right in front of a ref that almost certainly turned 7 points into 3?? Huh?? It got so bad the Nance actually finally went after him on it. What was Simms thinking?

And then when Brady overthrew an open receiver by 5 yards his analysis is that it was because he threw it so well?? To quote The Princess Bride - "inconceivable!".

It really was a performance of idiotic proportion.
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #9
steeledude
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's not media bias, had the roles been reversed he would have been a Broncos apologist. The announcers have to make the game seem like it can turn around at any moment so people don't stop viewing. He did it to us when the Chiefs were behind and I doubt he is a closet Chiefs fan, but I've heard him say great things about the Broncos plenty of times. Phil Simms is not anti Broncos--Dan Marino? Maybe. And he's way worse in his disdain for the organization, but Phil Simms does a great job.

I remember sometimes I felt like he was the only other guy out there who supported Jake the Snake as much as I did, haha.

Last edited by steeledude; 01-20-2014 at 08:15 PM..
steeledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Getting this up just to get it out of the way because we know it was coming.

ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #11
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I think what he was trying to say is he threw such a tight spiral that the ball cut through the air better than it normally would. You also have to remember that there's two producers and a director constantly feeding him lines to say, and this is true with almost every broadcast (certainly that i'd ever been apart of). Usually the best guys just do a good job of taking thoughts a producer feeds them and turning it into something that sounds "right".
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #12
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

I wish Dick Enberg was still calling our games.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #13
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

I'm still dumbfounded that he claimed the mile high air would cut 12 yards off of a FG kick. It came off as such a dig to the Broncos. Jackass.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #14
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
I wish Dick Enberg was still calling our games.
God yes. I love re-watching my DVD of SB XXXII partially due to Enberg as the announcer!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #15
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

You could name just about any commentator around here and it would be a hate fest. You guys are over thinking it.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #16
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
Simms was unbelievable to be honest. The same 2 incidents stuck out for me and I was yelling at the TV!

Trying to blame Thomas for a blatant blatant PI right in front of a ref that almost certainly turned 7 points into 3?? Huh?? It got so bad the Nance actually finally went after him on it. What was Simms thinking?

And then when Brady overthrew an open receiver by 5 yards his analysis is that it was because he threw it so well?? To quote The Princess Bride - "inconceivable!".

It really was a performance of idiotic proportion.
I was laughing...He is so scripted with his story and wants it to play out exactly that way...almost biased to his own little world:

"What did we sayeee before the gayme, Jeem? RUNNEENG, RUNNEENG, RUNNEENG THE BALL..."

He does well but certainly is not my favorite and is quick to point out the obvious reason his favorite isn't doing well instead of why the opponent is owning/smashing them.

Last edited by Vegas_Bronco; 01-20-2014 at 09:41 PM..
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #17
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Phil hates the Broncos because we didn't treat his son that well when he played here for those couple of seasons.
long beach bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #18
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

You people (yes, I am using those words on MLK day) are such hyper-sensitive children sometimes. One comment about a throw and it's 20 posts about a nation-wide conspiracy.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #19
long beach bronco
Ring of Famer

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Whadda you mean "you people."
long beach bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:27 PM   #20
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:48 PM   #21
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You people (yes, I am using those words on MLK day) are such hyper-sensitive children sometimes. One comment about a throw and it's 20 posts about a nation-wide conspiracy.
Coastal bias in not a conspiracy theory, it is a media reality. That is where the ppl are and so they pander to the viewer count. It is good for biz. It is no mystery. Having said that, a good to great announcer would have integrity and not kneel down to the numbers. And Simms was on his knees. Just saying.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:53 PM   #22
bases055
Rookie!

Insert Lombardi Image Here

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Xavier Omon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
Wow I guess I'm still young. I didn't know women used to wear panties on the outside of their exercise outfits. We should bring that back.
bases055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #23
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Wow - men's perms were in style once...what a confused society.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:24 PM   #24
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
You could name just about any commentator around here and it would be a hate fest. You guys are over thinking it.
I think we can all agree Charlie Jones and Dick Enberg were class (and possibly Broncos fans--Jones especially)
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #25
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeledude View Post
It's not media bias, had the roles been reversed he would have been a Broncos apologist. The announcers have to make the game seem like it can turn around at any moment so people don't stop viewing. He did it to us when the Chiefs were behind and I doubt he is a closet Chiefs fan, but I've heard him say great things about the Broncos plenty of times. Phil Simms is not anti Broncos--Dan Marino? Maybe. And he's way worse in his disdain for the organization, but Phil Simms does a great job.

I remember sometimes I felt like he was the only other guy out there who supported Jake the Snake as much as I did, haha.
You know I might buy this if he had been at least rational. Comments about prior Pats comebacks, Brady under pressure, stuff like that. But (1) trying to justify blatant holding that eliminates a very likely TD is irrational and biased and has nothing to do with him trying to keep fans interested, and (2) claiming that a blatant overthrow by Brady is because he throws so well is also irrational and biased and has nothing to do with him trying to keep fans interested.

So why I agree that networks want announcers to always highlight why comebacks are possible in lopsided games, it just does not apply here.