The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
Bacchus

Default Owning a gun is not for everyone

I think people need to realize owning a gun is going to mean that gun is much, much, much more likely to be used killing someone you know or someone you love, or you, than any stranger that comes into your home to steal something.

If you have a volatile relationship with your wife don't get a gun. If you are or you expect your wife of cheating on you don't get a gun. If you have very young kids don't keep a loaded gun. If you have teenage kids do not have a gun.

Everyone can rip this post but EVERY single day someone is shooting their spouse out of rage or a teenager accidently or on purpose gets parent's gun and shoots someone.

I have three guns all unloaded all up in the attic. If someone comes in my house I'll just pound the **** out of them with my massive fists.

People say that "well, if they did not have a gun they would have just stabbed her" and that is not true. Most of the gun shootings are instant rages and most people do not have the stomach to stab someone or to choke someone. Shooting someone is very easy. I shot my dog one time because she was hurt and it is veryu instantaneus. I immediatley regretted it.

Just something to think about. I wish everyone to be safe and not fall victim to another senseless killing.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Owning a motorcycle is not for everyone

Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
If you have teenage kids do not have a gun.
That's gonna be kinda tough considering that's around the time when they'll be learning how to shoot.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
houghtam
Ring of Famer

I wonder why when you look up "police burglary prevention tips", they almost never mention owning a gun. I wonder why the tips are generally directed at how to prevent your home from being burgled when you're not there.

I wonder if it's because the vast majority of burglars have cased your home to determine whether you're even home, and have no interest of entering if you are. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that there's no statistical evidence that supports the statement that owning a gun prevents burglaries. I wonder if it's because when a burglar enters an occupied home, they are usually there and gone before anyone can take action. I wonder if it's because staging your firearm in such a place that it's readily accessible during a burglary is more likely to harm your own family than the burglar.

Nope.

It's because Obama's coming for your guns.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
That's gonna be kinda tough considering that's around the time when they'll be learning how to shoot.
Yeah I agree with that.

I guess if you have teenagers just keep the guns locked up.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

If my budget for this month comes through like I expect I will be buying an assault rifle soon. Want to get one before they get made illegal by THE OBAMANATION.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

How many people know someone shot by a gun in an accident?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I know two people, both were in my neighborhood when I was a child. Well, one in high school, the other when I was in elementary. I also had two peers kill themselves with a gun, one in 8th grade who was a classmate and one in 10th grade who was a friend. Additionally, a member of my civil war reenacting group who has a CCL lost his 9mm in camp...while spectators (families, mostly, with young kids) were walking around.

Little wonder I am so adamant about reasonable gun control and mandatory gun safety.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
I know two people, both were in my neighborhood when I was a child. Well, one in high school, the other when I was in elementary. I also had two peers kill themselves with a gun, one in 8th grade who was a classmate and one in 10th grade who was a friend. Additionally, a member of my civil war reenacting group who has a CCL lost his 9mm in camp...while spectators (families, mostly, with young kids) were walking around.

Little wonder I am so adamant about reasonable gun control and mandatory gun safety.
I knew two kids who killed themselves via garage/car/CO. A couple others killed themselves via intentional crash. One did pills.

In my mind, suicide is completely off the table as a rationale for control. There are simply too many ways to effectively hurt yourself if you've decided to do so.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
I knew 2 people that drowned in a boating accident and over the years there have been several others on that same lake. Everyone that gets near a boat should be required to take mandatory boat safety class and that includes anyone going on a cruse ship.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
Meck77

It's interesting to see the brainwashing of America happening little by little.

Guns bad...guns bad...don't own a gun....guns bad.....

Meanwhile our government is arming themselves more than ever.

Guns are good! Get one today! Protect yourselves and your family.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Cool thread bro.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
If my budget for this month comes through like I expect I will be buying an assault rifle soon. Want to get one before they get made illegal by THE OBAMANATION.
Good luck with that.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:

Sounds like you should get treatment for PTSD.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:

Interesting, thanks for sharing. It shows how someone personal experience shapes how they feel on a topic. They become biased.

One of the few things I am good at in life is music. The other is writing questions for voir dire and depositions. The atty would ask you the question you just answered. You would then be ejected from the jury pool in any gun case lol.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Sounds like you should get treatment for PTSD.
Its why people who get emotional about what happens to them personally arent to be trusted when it comes to real issues. The PTSD sounds like a real possibility. It would explain all his crazy posts.

After are you are a doctor. Also I have taken a lot of drugs so its almost like I am a pharmacist.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Reasonable gun control and gun safety measures. Let me show you them.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #18
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Interesting, thanks for sharing. It shows how someone personal experience shapes how they feel on a topic. They become biased.

One of the few things I am good at in life is music. The other is writing questions for voir dire and depositions. The atty would ask you the question you just answered. You would then be ejected from the jury pool in any gun case lol.
Great, but what's the lol for? I wouldn't want to serve on a jury for a gun case to begin with for that reason. I stepped down from a DUI case because of a bad experience I had with a cop once in a similar situation.

Unfortunately though, if you don't know the difference between judicial process and legislative process, I can't really do anything for you. Applying law as it is written to a certain case is not the same as determining what the law should be in the first place.

If no prior personal experience were a prerequisite to working on legislation, not only would we never get anything done, what little actually got done would be completed by morons. Which is what happens when we have people like Todd Akin and Ted Cruz on the science committee.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontius Pirate View Post
That's LABF territory.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Great, but what's the lol for? I wouldn't want to serve on a jury for a gun case to begin with for that reason. I stepped down from a DUI case because of a bad experience I had with a cop once in a similar situation.

Unfortunately though, if you don't know the difference between judicial process and legislative process, I can't really do anything for you. Applying law as it is written to a certain case is not the same as determining what the law should be in the first place.

If no prior personal experience were a prerequisite to working on legislation, not only would we never get anything done, what little actually got done would be completed by morons. Which is what happens when we have people like Todd Akin and Ted Cruz on the science committee.
I agree politicians let personal feeling cloud judgement. Thats why i try and stay analytical on things and I don't let some burned babies sway me.

Logically I don't see how the gun control proposed by liberals would actually save any lives. So then why should i give up target shooting with an AR-15 if its not going to save lives?

i can agree gun control is important if liberals will agree a rifle having a pistol grip has nothing to do with how lethal it is. Its just that when i hear Fienstien talk about bayonets I have to laugh. How many people have been killed by bayonets on an assault rifle or because it had a pistol grip?

The clip size i would think you could barter on. You say 10, we say 30, compromise at say 15 or something. The bullets squirt out so fast you are talking about a guy having to take 3 seconds to pop a new magazine in. Its not that big of a deal and will only matter in severe firefights with police which are pretty rare.

Show me some gun control that really works. Like use a gun in a violent crime and get sent to a work camp making boots for the military for 25 yrs. Get tough on violent crime where those people never get out. Lighten up on all drug offenses to make room.

But making it tough for honest Americans to own guns, hoping that trickles down into the criminal element is a reach. Hoping that it changes when a crazy person goes crazy even a further reach. They will just use a rifle with no pistol grip and a 10 round magazine. Better yet they will probably just use 2 or 3 handguns all loaded up like most people do.

i understand people want to see it stop. They want our country to be safer. I just think its a pipe dream. The only way to make it work would be to say no one can have a gun. They are now illegal. You get caught with one its 10 years in prison period. You use one in a crime its 25 yrs etc etc. Make the law so draconian even criminals are like hmmm since no one has guns we can just strong arm people.

But then we are left to survival of the fittest. Strongest and meanest can just rob you and you can't defense yourself.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #22
nyuk nyuk

That's nice.

Owning a car isn't for everyone, either, and people are far more likely to die driving a car than they are owning a gun.

I'm not remotely interested in this renewed wave of anti-gun hysteria.

More people are injured and killed annually in accidents related to natural gas pipelines every year than are killed by "mass shooters." Let's ban natural gas pipelines NOW! EVERY LIFE COUNTS.

HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF YOUR CHILD WAS KILLED IN A NATURAL GAS PIPELINE ACCIDENT? HUH! YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR FACE RUBBED IN THE VICTIMS OF NATURAL GAS THE NEXT TIME YOU TURN ON YOUR STOVE, YOU SELFISH BASTARDS.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #23
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
I agree politicians let personal feeling cloud judgement. Thats why i try and stay analytical on things and I don't let some burned babies sway me.
I think it's more that media-driven mass hysteria is being captured to push an anti-gun agenda the Left has held for decades.

Quote:
Logically I don't see how the gun control proposed by liberals would actually save any lives. So then why should i give up target shooting with an AR-15 if its not going to save lives?
It won't, and they know it. That's why they let the last "assault weapons ban" expire to begin with, and it's also why they haven't released any data since then to show "it'll work this time." They don't bother, because such data simply doesn't exist. This is about cashing in on public hysteria to advance an agenda, and facts need not apply.

Quote:
i can agree gun control is important if liberals will agree a rifle having a pistol grip has nothing to do with how lethal it is. Its just that when i hear Fienstien talk about bayonets I have to laugh. How many people have been killed by bayonets on an assault rifle or because it had a pistol grip?
Bayonets and pistol grips are simply aesthetic characteristics that make it a BIG SCARY GUN LIKE IN THE MOVIES. Feinstein and her crowd are dirty b****es. Further and most importantly, Mother Jones Magazine published a study last summer on "mass shootings" which showed that on average for 30 years, approximately 30 people were injured or killed in such shootings, and of those 30 people, an exact 7.5 average per year were hurt or killed by so-called "assault weapons." In spite of this paltry number, we are told, it is of key import to ban these weapons because 7.5 is an unacceptable number, in spite of that for example drunken drivers kill over 10,000 per year and nobody is thinking of applying the laws they wish toward guns to booze.

It's hysteria, it's politics, it's white knighting hysterical voters.

Quote:
The clip size i would think you could barter on. You say 10, we say 30, compromise at say 15 or something. The bullets squirt out so fast you are talking about a guy having to take 3 seconds to pop a new magazine in. Its not that big of a deal and will only matter in severe firefights with police which are pretty rare.
Nothing to barter on here. There is no compromise. Give in to the 15 limit like the house libs in Colorado are currently trying to shove down our throats, and guess what? Next time an ass hat abuses a 15 or 10 round magazine, they'll be coming after those, too. If you think they're going to stop, you're sadly mistaken.

Quote:
Show me some gun control that really works. Like use a gun in a violent crime and get sent to a work camp making boots for the military for 25 yrs. Get tough on violent crime where those people never get out. Lighten up on all drug offenses to make room.
If they're not going to apply these "gun control" laws to other things that kill far more people, such as alcohol, then these anti-gun maniacs have showed their hand. This isn't about saving lives, it's about trying to disarm the people - piecemeal. After all, why then ignore things that kill far more people if the concern were really saving lives? Why? It isn't about saving lives, at all. It's about pushing the limits of the 2nd Amendment and piecemeal banning guns. They simply use the corpses and the maimed survivors as props to gain sympathy.

Quote:
i understand people want to see it stop. They want our country to be safer. I just think its a pipe dream.
Free societies have risks. Life has risks. Again, if these booze sippers aren't going to restrict their beloved booze the way they want to restrict guns in spite of that their booze takes far more lives, they're lying their asses off. Mass shootings are very rare and the media are selectively and manipulatively inflaming reports on the subject while ignoring other things. Why? Political agendas and mass manipulation via propaganda as news.

Drunken driving kills far more than mass shootings by thousands and thousands of times over, yet they hardly utter a peep about drunken drivers, let alone do they go sniffing for every example of it and then offer it up with headlines such as, ANOTHER DRUNKEN DRIVING FATALITY.

Last edited by nyuk nyuk; 02-23-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Old 02-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #24
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
I wonder why when you look up "police burglary prevention tips", they almost never mention owning a gun. I wonder why the tips are generally directed at how to prevent your home from being burgled when you're not there.
Oooh, anecdotes!