The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #76
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
From what I remember, Beadles looked pretty good with Tebow and Clady wasn't 100% that year either.
Does Kuper upgrade Beadles or Walton on talent?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #77
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Does Kuper upgrade Beadles or Walton on talent?
A 100% Kuper, yes.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #78
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I personally would send Kuper his walking papers save his salary and draft a starting G in this draft.
I've mentioned cutting Kuper several months back. I could see the team draft a replacement and cut Kuper at the end of next season. Too much money there, but they will probably bring him back for a year.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #79
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

All this cut Kuper crap is getting a bit old. How many guys now have said some form of "wait, I said cut Kuper too, maybe ___ months/years ago!" It's not a badge of honor, it's self-flagellation. Why? Because Chris Kuper is you, Chris Kuper is me. He's the perfect everyman, a big lug who thawed out of an arctic childhood, looked past the experts who said he'd go undrafted, listened, learned and made it to the top. Shanahan gave him a couple of big lug kicks in the rear at first, but he kept his head down and made himself a $25 million dollar man.

Besides, even though he's been named to a few All-Pro teams, he has to go to at least one Pro Bowl, cause I have the perfect title for his autobiography: "From Alaska to Hawaii: How I traded in my arctic youth for a millionaire's life on the beach."
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #80
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Besides, even though he's been named to a few All-Pro teams
Kuper hasn't been named to any All-Pro teams.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #81
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
From what I remember, Beadles looked pretty good with Tebow and Clady wasn't 100% that year either.
To preface, I think Tebow got and is still getting a bit of a raw deal ... too many unimaginitive, conformist offensive coaches. But that said, it must've been really frustrating to block for him, especially for a prototype pass-protecting OT like Clady ... and apparently Franklin too, he graded the #2 pass-blocking RT. And Beadles to the Pro Bowl? Just a 2nd alternate, but that basically makes him the 5th best OG in the conference? You might say popularity contest, but most players take their voting very seriously (I remember Steve Watson yelled and almost swung at a guy who looked at his ballot ... Mike Haynes and Raymond Claiborne).

No surprise how much better the linemen are this year ... Manning might be the best ever at pocket presence and awareness, and release. Whereas you kinda never knew where TT would be.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #82
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Kuper hasn't been named to any All-Pro teams.
What part of "Chris Kuper is you, Chris Kuper is me" don't you get?

Quote:
• Named a first-team All-Pro selection by The Dallas Morning News (Rick Gosselin) in 2011 after starting all 16 regular-season games and helping the Broncos lead the league in rushing with a team-record 2,632 yards.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/ro...4-8930baa7bc7b

It's not AP, but it's something right?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #83
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
What part of "Chris Kuper is you, Chris Kuper is me" don't you get?

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/ro...4-8930baa7bc7b

It's not AP, but it's something right?
There are three "official" All-Pro Teams—one each named by the Associated Press (AP), Pro Football Writers Association (PFWA), and Sporting News

The Dallas Morning News can do what they want I guess, but it carries about as much official weight as an OMane All-Pro Team, if we decided to start one up.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #84
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

You're right, we all remember Peter King naming Ryan Harris 1st-team All-Pro ... I'm not sure he started 10 games after that.

But look at the money ... $28 million is alotta scratch for a guard, he must be doing something right.

Look closely at this picture, my fellow BB,
and tell me once again ... when exactly
did you say "Let's cut Kuper!!"

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 02-25-2013 at 12:07 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #85
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:

Look closely at this picture, my fellow BB,
and tell me once again ... when exactly
did you say "Let's cut Kuper!!"
When Kaylore came on here and posted that Kuper wasn't circumsized. Oh, crap, wait a sec......
Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #86
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
There are three "official" All-Pro Teams—one each named by the Associated Press (AP), Pro Football Writers Association (PFWA), and Sporting News

The Dallas Morning News can do what they want I guess, but it carries about as much official weight as an OMane All-Pro Team, if we decided to start one up.
Out of curiosity...what makes them "official"? Does the NFL hand out and actual award based on those?
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #87
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Out of curiosity...what makes them "official"? Does the NFL hand out and actual award based on those?
They are the longest running (50+ years) and poll what are considered to be the largest and most knowledgeable groups of "experts". The others you may hear about seem to be simply one or a handful of people coming up with their own lists and they haven't been around for very long in comparison.

I don't believe the NFL actually has any actual partnership with the "official" all pro lists.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #88
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
All this cut Kuper crap is getting a bit old. How many guys now have said some form of "wait, I said cut Kuper too, maybe ___ months/years ago!" It's not a badge of honor, it's self-flagellation. Why? Because Chris Kuper is you, Chris Kuper is me. He's the perfect everyman, a big lug who thawed out of an arctic childhood, looked past the experts who said he'd go undrafted, listened, learned and made it to the top. Shanahan gave him a couple of big lug kicks in the rear at first, but he kept his head down and made himself a $25 million dollar man.

Besides, even though he's been named to a few All-Pro teams, he has to go to at least one Pro Bowl, cause I have the perfect title for his autobiography: "From Alaska to Hawaii: How I traded in my arctic youth for a millionaire's life on the beach."
I will help with the "unofficial" autobiography... I have to laugh at how 12 mos completely changes some of the people on this board. I don't even take it personal because for some people it's the only place that anyone will even lend any credence to what they write/say because in real life they can't even get in and out of their car without hurting themselves. I would not bet against Chris coming back and being as good or better than he has ever been. I'm not sure many guys have been nominated "All Pro" after playing only 5 complete games in the season. I am pretty sure that those guys have forgotten more about football than pretty much ALL of us myself included. Then when I see guys like Cutthemdown if not praise the way he has played for the Broncos at least temper his criticism I know I'm on the right track. To his credit he has been one of Chris' biggest critics over his career but has been able to at least put together decent rationale for his criticism. As far as the 28 mil... he earned that money the first 6 years of his career by being a good team guy and playing well for relative peanuts compared to others. That and knowing how much he has suffered this last season (for those that thrive on revisionist history, his first ankle injury occurred on Jan1,2012) I would be livid if they asked him to give back anything although knowing what a good guy he is I'm sure he would do it if he felt it would help the team. I feel the same way about Champ, and others who have put their time in and sacrificed their future for the team's present. Anyway thanks to the people who have supported him this past year+ (you know who you are) and "Fack you" to those who hide behind their keyboards and throw daggers at people who kill themselves for your entertainment.
kupesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #89
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

For the record, I said that Kuper only needed to be replaced if he does not bounce back from injury. I think everyone here HOPES that. As someone who got to see Kuper play at UND (I went to NDSU, so it wasn't a far trip) -- it was pretty cool to see him become a Bronco. Very few guys from UND/NDSU make it to the pros.

How is his rehabilitation going?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #90
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupesdad View Post
I will help with the "unofficial" autobiography... I have to laugh at how 12 mos completely changes some of the people on this board. I don't even take it personal because for some people it's the only place that anyone will even lend any credence to what they write/say because in real life they can't even get in and out of their car without hurting themselves. I would not bet against Chris coming back and being as good or better than he has ever been. I'm not sure many guys have been nominated "All Pro" after playing only 5 complete games in the season. I am pretty sure that those guys have forgotten more about football than pretty much ALL of us myself included. Then when I see guys like Cutthemdown if not praise the way he has played for the Broncos at least temper his criticism I know I'm on the right track. To his credit he has been one of Chris' biggest critics over his career but has been able to at least put together decent rationale for his criticism. As far as the 28 mil... he earned that money the first 6 years of his career by being a good team guy and playing well for relative peanuts compared to others. That and knowing how much he has suffered this last season (for those that thrive on revisionist history, his first ankle injury occurred on Jan1,2012) I would be livid if they asked him to give back anything although knowing what a good guy he is I'm sure he would do it if he felt it would help the team. I feel the same way about Champ, and others who have put their time in and sacrificed their future for the team's present. Anyway thanks to the people who have supported him this past year+ (you know who you are) and "Fack you" to those who hide behind their keyboards and throw daggers at people who kill themselves for your entertainment.
It's a message board. We talk football, I don't see why we cannot talk about Kuper's contract as opposed to other players. A hundred people on this board are trying to get rid of Doom. It is nothing personal and I do not hide behind my keyboard. Kuper has a high cap number and he has what appears to be a possibility of a chronic ankle injury. I'm sure the Broncos are discussing his cap number like we are. And I can see you are taking it personal, so at least admit that.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #91
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
For the record, I said that Kuper only needed to be replaced if he does not bounce back from injury. I think everyone here HOPES that. As someone who got to see Kuper play at UND (I went to NDSU, so it wasn't a far trip) -- it was pretty cool to see him become a Bronco. Very few guys from UND/NDSU make it to the pros.

How is his rehabilitation going?
I know, I understand that it's a business and have no problem with anything you have said. I'm sure you can pick out the ones I'm talking about. He just got into his 2nd cast for another 6+ weeks of no weight on it but he is doing good... he gets to spend a lot of "quality time " with his kids and is getting ready to go to Baltimore to pick up the "Ed Block Courage Award" in 10 days. He doesn't have a terrible life by anyone's definition. But when he is my age, I'm sure he will feel it.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #92
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
I know, I understand that it's a business and have no problem with anything you have said. I'm sure you can pick out the ones I'm talking about. He just got into his 2nd cast for another 6+ weeks of no weight on it but he is doing good... he gets to spend a lot of "quality time " with his kids and is getting ready to go to Baltimore to pick up the "Ed Block Courage Award" in 10 days. He doesn't have a terrible life by anyone's definition. But when he is my age, I'm sure he will feel it.
I didn't even hear he won that award. That is an honor.

Thank you for the update as well. Glad to hear he is getting to spend time with his family.

Take care!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #93
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
It's a message board. We talk football, I don't see why we cannot talk about Kuper's contract as opposed to other players. A hundred people on this board are trying to get rid of Doom. It is nothing personal and I do not hide behind my keyboard. Kuper has a high cap number and he has what appears to be a possibility of a chronic ankle injury. I'm sure the Broncos are discussing his cap number like we are. And I can see you are taking it personal, so at least admit that.
You don't know anything about his injury. As far as whether it's chronic or not... you probably need to get off of the "chronic" since one season does not a chronic make. You can talk about anything you want, that's in the constitution. You also have the right to look silly and I've seen you exercise that as well. As far as the cap, it is what it is. But if you are looking strictly at cap numbers as well as becoming the team doc by knowing whether someone has a long term injury or not knock yourself out but please note my statement about looking silly. There are a lot of guys with knee injuries on the team that have more chance of being chronic than an ankle that may not have been fixed correctly the first time.. Walton had the same injury as Chris and the same surgery, just a different doc and procedure than Chris had the first time due to the fact that this procedure was fairly new when Chris got injured.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #94
Bacchus

Quote:
You don't know anything about his injury. As far as whether it's chronic or not... you probably need to get off of the "chronic" since one season does not a chronic make. You can talk about anything you want, that's in the constitution. You also have the right to look silly and I've seen you exercise that as well. As far as the cap, it is what it is. But if you are looking strictly at cap numbers as well as becoming the team doc by knowing whether someone has a long term injury or not knock yourself out but please note my statement about looking silly. There are a lot of guys with knee injuries on the team that have more chance of being chronic than an ankle that may not have been fixed correctly the first time.. Walton had the same injury as Chris and the same surgery, just a different doc and procedure than Chris had the first time due to the fact that this procedure was fairly new when Chris got injured.
and LIKE I said this is a message board. He re-injured his ankle and ankles have lots of little bones and healing can take a lot of time and they can get re-injured easier. Again this is a message board where **** gets thrown against the wall. If he comes back healthy great, he is Denver's second best lineman. Elway has said basically the same thing in the Denver Post. Kuper was injured and we do not know how he will come back from it. He said that himself, paraphrasing of course.

Not very many relatives post on message boards or at least make their name known I imagine because a lot of the stuff they read makes them feel defensive.

He has a high cap number and he played in only 6 games last year due to multiple injuries. ON ANY team that makes you a target for message board discussion.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #95
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
and LIKE I said this is a message board. He re-injured his ankle and ankles have lots of little bones and healing can take a lot of time and they can get re-injured easier. Again this is a message board where **** gets thrown against the wall. If he comes back healthy great, he is Denver's second best lineman. Elway has said basically the same thing in the Denver Post. Kuper was injured and we do not know how he will come back from it. He said that himself, paraphrasing of course.

Not very many relatives post on message boards or at least make their name known I imagine because a lot of the stuff they read makes them feel defensive.

He has a high cap number and he played in only 6 games last year due to multiple injuries. ON ANY team that makes you a target for message board discussion.
That's the diff between you and Elway...He has enough info to know what the **** he's talking about... I didn't see the part where he said the injury was chronic... must have missed that dream.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #96
Bacchus

Quote:
That's the diff between you and Elway...He has enough info to know what the **** he's talking about... I didn't see the part where he said the injury was chronic... must have missed that dream.
He never said it was chronic and NEITHER did I. I said it COULD BE chronic. Again message board. Discussion. But Elway did say they are interested in drafting OL because of injuries. It has been discussed Franklin should move to guard. I am not making this up and it is all about discussion. What I or anyone else on this board type has no bearing on what happens at the Broncos Complex.

You are the only one paying attention to me. Instead of getting all defensive just put me on ignore. It does work very well.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #97
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Bacchus. Ten minutes in the corner. Dunce hat on. No posting.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #98
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Bacchus. Ten minutes in the corner. Dunce hat on. No posting.
Why, because a players dad gets upset that we are talking about injuries, cap figures and possible cuts? Ok, I am done.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #99
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Why, because a players dad gets upset that we are talking about injuries, cap figures and possible cuts? Ok, I am done.
Since Chris is a Denver Broncos player and Mr. Kuper posts here -- you could be in trouble for family smack on Chris.

JK.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #100
Drek
Ring of Famer

Kuper doesn't make that much by starting OL standards. He's making less than half the franchise tag, so pretty average for a long time starter.

He's also the elder statesman of the OL at just past 30.

When he was healthy the OL was clearly far better, and most importantly Franklin played his best football having an experienced vet next to him.

Spending draft picks to replace a guy of his caliber and at a relatively young age for the position is much more expensive in terms of opportunity cost than the $4.5M he'll make next season. Drafting a young interior OL guy to groom and challenge Beadles, Walton, and Kuper long term? Sure, in the middle rounds. But the early picks need to be focused on defense and giving Manning more weapons (RB and WR), not backfilling a hole we created to save a few sheckles.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote