The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Bacchus

Default Under Radar FA Broncos should look at

These Under-the-radar Free Agents Should Be on the Denver Broncos' Screen

Team Won't Have to Break Its Budget with a Few Choice Additions

Yahoo! Contributor Network
By Ken Pomponio | Yahoo! Contributor Network Tue, Feb 19, 2013 4:36 PM EST

Yes, free agency is upon us, and while signings won't officially start until March 12, franchise players can be tagged, salary-cap figures can be juggled and player-acquisition plans can be formulated.

It's what's been going down in every team's War Room since their respective 2012 seasons came to an end.

And while the Ed Reeds, Steven Jacksons and Wes Welkers are high on many a free-agent wish list, there's value to be found and big bucks to be saved in targeting some of the league's lesser lights -- the under-the-radar (and under-the-salary cap) players -- who still can have a big impact on the field come next fall.

After wisely franchising Pro Bowl left tackle Ryan Clady, the Denver Broncos can set their sights on plugging some of the few gaps they have following a 13-3 season that ended with a double-overtime, divisional-round loss to the eventual Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens. And while signing a Reed or Welker could very well be in the Broncos' future, here are some comparatively bargain-basement signings that could put Orange-and-Blue crew over the top in 2013:

WR Austin Collie

This could be a no-brainer of the bunch: Bringing aboard Peyton Manning's old Indy compatriot, who was cut loose by the Colts on Feb. 15, and signing him to a short-term, low-dollar, incentive-laden deal and then perhaps adding an insurance slot man in the draft.

At 27, Collie nearly is a decade younger than 2012 Broncos slot receiver and current free-agent Brandon Stokley, but he's accumulated some nasty injury baggage over his four NFL seasons, including -- most alarmingly -- four concussions, thumb surgery and a torn patellar tendon that limited his 2012 season to a single game.

Still, in Collie's two Indy seasons with Manning (2009-10), the two did some definite damage, hooking up for 118 receptions, 1,325 yards and 15 TDs in only 25 games.

RB Chris Ivory/RB Jonathan Dwyer

The Broncos should zero in on one of the two here.

Both backs currently are restricted free agents, meaning it likely would cost a low-round draft choice to sign either, but one -- most likely Dwyer -- or both could be unrestricted by the time the cash-strapped New Orleans Saints and Pittsburgh Steelers get their own priorities in order.

Both are young -- Ivory is 24 and Dwyer, 23 -- and just entering their primes and have been saved a typical NFL back's wear-and-tear by playing in running back-by-committee situations. As a result, Ivory has 256 career carries, while Dwyer has only 181.

Still, both are hard-running, tough runners who have put up some eye-catching numbers despite their limited work.

The well-built Ivory (6-0, 222) has averaged 5.11 yards per carry which ranks fourth in the league over the past three seasons among backs with 250 or more carries.

Meanwhile, the 5-11, 235-pound Dwyer -- a Georgia Tech teammate of current Broncos' wideout Demaryius Thomas -- is the the between-the-tackles workhorse the Broncos need, and he led the Steelers in rushing with 623 yards on 156 carries this past season.

S William Moore

True, the 27-year-old Moore isn't exactly a lesser light as one of the top-five available safeties, but that could change if the Atlanta Falcons decide to place their franchise tag on the former Missouri Tiger.

The 6-foot, 220-pound Moore is a physical presence who has registered at least 54 tackles in each of his three pro seasons, but what makes the former second-round pick so appealing is his play-making penchant which has resulted in 11 career interceptions -- one of which came against Manning in Week 2 this past September -- and five forced fumbles.

By comparison, Broncos safeties have combined for eight picks over that span, and needless to say, the Denver "D" can use all the turnovers it can get with a cumulative minus-22 team takeaway-giveaway differential over the past three seasons.

DT Desmond Bryant

The 27-year-old Harvard product isn't generating as much free-agent buzz as DT counterparts Henry Melton, Randy Starks or even former Oakland Raiders teammate Richard Seymour, but he possesses the pass-rushing ability the Broncos desperately need from the interior of the D-line.

At 6-6 and 311 pounds, Bryant can bring the heat as evidenced by his 10.5 sacks over the past three seasons, which rank eighth among all NFL defensive tackles and ahead of such notables as B.J. Raji (9.5), Gerald McCoy (9) and Vince Wilfork (8.5).

According to Advanced NFL Stats, Bryant had a combined 16 sacks and QB hits in 2012 - more than double the combined total (7) of the Broncos' primary DT duo of Kevin Vickerson and Justin Bannan, both of whom are free agents.

TE Delanie Walker

With Jacob Tamme and Joel Dreessen coming off productive seasons, a tight end is far down Denver's list of needs, but if the 28-year-old Walker avoids the franchise tag in San Francisco, the do-it-all veteran's versatility may be too irresistible to pass up.

Walker can catch, block, split out wide and even play some fullback. And even at 6-1 and 241 pounds, Walker can stretch the field as his career postseason 17.3-yard-per-catch average attests.

Rest of article here and the always interesting yahoo comments: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/under-r...0251--nfl.html
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Bacchus

I really like Dwyer, I cannot believe Pittsburgh would part with him.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

That's a really good list; but aside from Collie, I don't see any of them agreeing to sign for chump change.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

That is a good list. I'm concerned about some of Bryant's antics, but who knows how much of that is a product of his environment.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
That's a really good list; but aside from Collie, I don't see any of them agreeing to sign for chump change.
Yeah I'm trying to figure out just how Walker is under the radar.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Collie is a concussion machine. When sportswriters do articles about you entitled, 'Why is Concussion Prone Austin Collie Still In The NFL?', that ought to be a red flag for any team looking to sign you.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...s-like-his-dad
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
kdissette
Seasoned Veteran

IN VON WE TRUST!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

ivory would be a realistic option....we do need to find a DT somewhere but i think it will be in the draft...moore will be tagged....walker too....collie i would only sign for the lowest amount of money allowed.
kdissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Considering all i've heard about DT's is that it takes a while to learn the position, i dont wanna rely on drafting a DT to start. Gimme some vets, draft a DT (in a deep class) in the 2nd or 3rd. I want an impact player with the first pick.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Collie is a concussion machine. When sportswriters do articles about you entitled, 'Why is Concussion Prone Austin Collie Still In The NFL?', that ought to be a red flag for any team looking to sign you.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...s-like-his-dad
Collie is a low priced high reward type player.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
mellow mood
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Walker and ivory please

Don't know much about that DT or S

No to collie and Dwyer
mellow mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
BroncosfanGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
or Moore who is coming off a solid season too
Old 02-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow mood View Post
Walker and ivory please

Don't know much about that DT or S

No to collie and Dwyer
I like Ivory a lot but would live to see Dwyer in Denver. Bring some power and fresh legs as a perfect compliment to Hillman
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

How is Will Moore under the radar?

He's a ****ing probowler, for god's sake.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #14
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
How is Will Moore under the radar?

He's a ****ing probowler, for god's sake.
Ken Pomponio doesn't own a television and lives in North Korea.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
Swedish Extrovert
President of the Universe

Formerly known as mightysmurf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bruton

Dwyer deserves a look.
Swedish Extrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #16
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Same with Moore. He had a great year. I'd love for him to continue it this year...in Denver.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

I would love to get Ivory in a bronco uni.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
extralife
Ring of Famer

I like Ivory a lot. I want Bradshaw, but Ivory would obviously be cheaper if that doesn't happen.

Walker really ought to stay in SF.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote