The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #26
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Steven I know you are a big space cas.....errrrr... guy, so check this picture out. I love it. After a long day at work I think I'll lay down and look at Earth.

I'd hit that - hahahaha
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #27
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I'm waiting for mankind to explore Mars, find a 50,000 year old science facility and then find out Pluto is actually a giant mass effect drive that will propel us out unto the universe.

This
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #28
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

So many good nebula pictures, the eagle, horsehead, crab, orion. Many earthrise pictures were taken from the moon, some of them are truly amazing.

Not a lot of things I would die for, but I would take a one way trip into space.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #29
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I'd hit that - hahahaha
especially with no gravity
Old 02-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #30
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
I'm as big a space nerd and junkie as they come but I don't see what's so amazingly great about this picture you're calling the 2nd best ever. There are plenty of pics with the earth and moon together.

I'll have to give this image here a nod over yours. You got the earth, the atmosphere, an eclipse going on and you can see the milkyway center also.

BTW I said "Possibly" in the thread title, surprised so many over looked that one word.

Plus I am glad that others contributed their favorites and gave valid arguments to support their choices.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #31
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

BTW Pez has a ton of great shots of the stars that he has shared on facebook over the years if your looking for terrestrial based photography.

http://www.facebook.com/Pezpix?fref=ts
Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #32
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Thanks for sharing Steven. GodbLESS! (voice from Happy Gilmore crazy man!!!)0665
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #33
ak1971
uhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
http://colchrishadfield.tumblr.com/p...planet-we-have

I think the 1st is "Earth Rise" from Apollo 8 but this is up there!

Check out Earth Rise and tell me that we should keep destroying the only place in the universe we can live.

Just glad you didn't post a picture of Uranus.
ak1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #34
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1971 View Post
Just glad you didn't post a picture of Uranus.
One would think NASA would be rife with midgets in space, the capsules, suits, landers would be smaller and require less fuel...

Hmmm maybe I should send another letter to them, this could change the whole space flight paradigm!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #35
ChrisToker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
As in you don't believe any other place can sustain life or we're stuck here because the lack of technology?
Yeah it sucks! Cosmic roadblock. We will most likely kill ourselves. Possibly extinction from non man-made event. Maybe if we are really ****ing lucky we fly off of this rock maybe get as far as a Jupiter moon w/ in next 500yrs.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #36
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

One of my faves.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #37
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisToker View Post
Yeah it sucks! Cosmic roadblock. We will most likely kill ourselves. Possibly extinction from non man-made event. Maybe if we are really ****ing lucky we fly off of this rock maybe get as far as a Jupiter moon w/ in next 500yrs.

So you dont think that man, that went from riding horses and sailing on boats in 1513 to traveling to the moon and sending vehicles to mars by 2013 will make an equivilent jump between now and 2513?

Last edited by Archer81; 02-20-2013 at 10:59 PM..
Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #38
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

Syzygy. May have been the teen tournament.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #39
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
So you dont think that man, that went from riding horses and sailing on boats in 1513 to traveling to the moon and sending vehicles to mars by 2013 will make an equivilent jump between now and 2513?

Nope. It's like a fat person who can lose 100 pounds easy but when somebody in shape wants to lose that last 10 pounds it's a MF'er. hahaha

Seriously though, who knows what will happen. The 2 main things we need to master, IMO, are fusion and magnetic fields. Fusion for the energy to propel you through space at light speed and the magnetic fields to protect you from radiation and micro asteroids. You've got to be able to generate pseudo gravity, atmospheric pressure, water generation, food supply. And you've got roughly a few million years to get it done because our Sun will most likely be going into Red Giant phase by then.

I love this crap man, one of my favorite past times. We should have a sticky all offseason long with fun discussions on this topic.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #40
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Nope. It's like a fat person who can lose 100 pounds easy but when somebody in shape wants to lose that last 10 pounds it's a MF'er. hahaha

Seriously though, who knows what will happen. The 2 main things we need to master, IMO, are fusion and magnetic fields. Fusion for the energy to propel you through space at light speed and the magnetic fields to protect you from radiation and micro asteroids. You've got to be able to generate pseudo gravity, atmospheric pressure, water generation, food supply. And you've got roughly a few million years to get it done because our Sun will most likely be going into Red Giant phase by then.

I love this crap man, one of my favorite past times. We should have a sticky all offseason long with fun discussions on this topic.

From what I understand, the sun's increasing luminosity will destroy the atmosphere, evaporate water and bake the earth's crust to the point continental drift will no longer be possible. A billion or so years after that, the sun eats up the last of its fuel, turns into a red giant, and then ultimately a white dwarf.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #41
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
From what I understand, the sun's increasing luminosity will destroy the atmosphere, evaporate water and bake the earth's crust to the point continental drift will no longer be possible. A billion or so years after that, the sun eats up the last of its fuel, turns into a red giant, and then ultimately a white dwarf.

I've always loved looking at these 2 images. Really gives you a sense of the magnitude of size on some of these stars. You see how small earth is compared to our Sun. Then you see how tiny the Sun is compared to some of the monsters out there. You can understand why, when these hyper giants go hypernova billions of light years away from earth, how they could be brighter then entire galaxies just millions of light years away.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #42
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I'm waiting for mankind to explore Mars, find a 50,000 year old science facility and then find out Pluto is actually a giant mass effect drive that will propel us out unto the universe.

1000x this. I'd jizz in my pants.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #43
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Not a picture, but a memory.

On an early December night in 1990 I was on Parris Island for BWT, 10 days in the woods around this abandoned airfield. This was during Desert Shield, so all military bases were blacked out at night. I was assigned gear guard duty while my platoon did a midnight hump.

As I'm sitting alone in the middle of a runway I look up and see a long line of clouds crossing the sky. I thought, "Great probably gonna rain on me." Then I saw it for what is was. It wasn't a cloud, it was stars packed so tightly together it looked like a cloud. I was seeing the Milky Way for the first, and so far, only time in my life with the naked eye. It's cliche to say it took my breath away, but it really did.

Some day I'd like to find a nice quiet spot away from the light pollution and see it again. Really tough to do on the east coast.

Never will forget that night.
Attached Images

Broncomutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #44
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncomutt View Post

On an early December night in 1990 I was on Parris Island for BWT, 10 days in the woods around this abandoned airfield. This was during Desert Shield, so all military bases were blacked out at night. I was assigned gear guard duty while my platoon did a midnight hump.

As I'm sitting alone in the middle of a runway I look up and see a long line of clouds crossing the sky. I thought, "Great probably gonna rain on me." Then I saw it for what is was. It wasn't a cloud, it was stars packed so tightly together it looked like a cloud. I was seeing the Milky Way for the first, and so far, only time in my life with the naked eye. It's cliche to say it took my breath away, but it really did.

Some day I'd like to find a nice quiet spot away from the light pollution and see it again. Really tough to do on the east coast.

You can see the Milky Way with the naked eye if its dark enough. I was up in Sedona AZ and my wife and I went to this star gazing thing. The guy had a pretty good telescope. He pointed at a point in the Milky Way area. Through the telescope was stars every where. He said that every "star" was actually between 300-500 more stars. It's was pretty cool.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #45
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
You can see the Milky Way with the naked eye if its dark enough. I was up in Sedona AZ and my wife and I went to this star gazing thing. The guy had a pretty good telescope. He pointed at a point in the Milky Way area. Through the telescope was stars every where. He said that every "star" was actually between 300-500 more stars. It's was pretty cool.
I have seen it a couple times while at my Grandma's farm up in Michigan after sitting outside and talking in the dark, we just looked up and it was there the 1st time. I had to work at it more the next couple times.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #46
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncomutt View Post

That's a great story Mutt! It reminds me of the time I was down on Lake Powell in Souther Utah. The night sky was so clear that you could easily see the Milky Way. One night I was just laying there staring up at the night sky and I see this tiny, little star just moving in a straight line across the sky. It was a damn satellite! It was just moving in a straight line across the sky.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #47
g6matty

http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/...-moons-origin/

water found on moon
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #48
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

http://science.time.com/2013/02/20/t...-the-universe/

Telescope to Hunt for Missing 96% of the Universe

Read more: http://science.time.com/2013/02/20/t...#ixzz2LbP6ycfL
Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #49
g6matty

i like the stuff u post broncosteven
Old 02-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #50
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

A little lengthy but a good video none the less.