The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Drafting a Mike early a foregone conclusion? Not necessarily

A lot of people have assumed that we're going to draft a middle linebacker early this year. There are several reasons it wouldn't be a bad idea, including:
  1. Joe Mays, after being paid quite a bit, is coming off an injury. Even before his injury he was not playing well. The Broncos could save a lot of money by just letting him go.
  2. Keith Brooking is ancient. He likely isn't coming back.
  3. Nate Irving hasn't really developed.
  4. The Broncos seem to always take the best player available regardless of need in the draft.
However I was listening to Tom Nalen and Les Shapiro on the radio today and I am beginning to think the Broncos are more optimistic about the Mike position for a variety of reasons.
  1. DJ Williams wants to stay. What? How could he? Well he said he likes the Broncos. He thinks this is his best shot at getting a ring, and he has come forward recently and said while he would like to continue to compete with Woodyard for the weak side linebacker position, he is open to moving to the middle. He said it would be a good way to deal with the loss of speed he is dealing with, and it is not an entirely unfamiliar position to him. If the Broncos want to keep him, it makes the most sense with Miller and Woodyard on either side.
  2. Nate Irving. What? How could he possibly be in the mix? Well word 'round the camp fire is the mental aspect of the game is slowing down for him. There could be a point where if the Broncos staff feels he's finally "got it" that he could compete and even start this next season - and at the very least will receive a good look their during preseason. If Nate does develop well, it could shift concerns during the draft to throw a pick at another position.
  3. Steven Johnson. Who? He was a college free agent that has actually really started to raise eyebrows recently. Apparently some players and coaching staff think he has more than a decent chance to compete for the starting middle linebacker position and his good play is what helped him get onto the final 53 last season. He allegedly grew a lot and many on the staff are excited to see how he'll progress.
So while it might seem "horrible" to us right now, the Mike position has some options. And a couple have been on the back-burner for some time. It would be nice if one of those young guys emerged as a legit starter and that allowed us to dedicate resources elsewhere.

However I am reminded that last year the Broncos said they didn't think their defensive tackle position was thad bad and then proceeded to take one with their first pick. So who knows?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Mediator has been saying all along that a competent MLB can be had in the middle rounds, and i am starting to assume the same. BPA with our first rounder is beginning to look more and more like WR, OL or CB
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Mediator has been saying all along that a competent MLB can be had in the middle rounds, and i am starting to assume the same. BPA with our first rounder is beginning to look more and more like WR, OL or CB
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

no, just no! i want a true MLB that is a pure MLB. no combo, no hybrid, no slide over from.
i want a dude who can beast and turn this defense into even more of a monster.
we have seen how big a really good MLB is in the playoffs.

Andrew Jackson in the 2nd works for me. though he goes against the prototypical Fox LB. normally he likes them 240 or less. Jackson is a 262 lb thumper.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
no, just no! i want a true MLB that is a pure MLB. no combo, no hybrid, no slide over from.
i want a dude who can beast and turn this defense into even more of a monster.
we have seen how big a really good MLB is in the playoffs.

Andrew Jackson in the 2nd works for me. though he goes against the prototypical Fox LB. normally he likes them 240 or less. Jackson is a 262 lb thumper.
In today's NFL they aren't needed. Since so much of the game is played in the nickel, are you really going to be broken up about having to "settle" for Von and Woodyard on the field and an extra DB?

I'm leaning more toward CB now, especially given where we are picking and what is available this draft.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

How could they really draft one early? Unless they reached. How many inside linebackers even go in the first 3 rounds this year? It's a very think year for true-4-3 middle linebackers who can do what all of you want the Bronco MLB to do.

I predict at most 3 inside linebackers in first 2 rounds.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
How could they really draft one early? Unless they reached. How many inside linebackers even go in the first 3 rounds this year? It's a very think year for true-4-3 middle linebackers who can do what all of you want the Bronco MLB to do.

There's also this. It's a bad draft for linebackers and QB's this year. They can't take what isn't there...unless they reach for need, which they haven't done under Elway.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
[*]Nate Irving. There could be a point where if the Broncos staff feels he's finally "got it" that he could compete and even start this next season - and at the very least will receive a good look their during preseason. If Nate does develop well, it could shift concerns during the draft to throw a pick at another position.
This doesn't make sense. This entire part of their argument for not drafting one is based off of Irving "getting it" during the upcoming training camps and preseason, but those things happen AFTER the draft, not before. Unless they have a time machine, this logic is extremely flawed.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

We should just run the Peso Defense as our nickel D. WW paired with Arthur Brown would be awesome.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 02-14-2013 at 03:07 PM..
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
This doesn't make sense. This entire part of their argument for not drafting one is based off of Irving "getting it" during the upcoming training camps and preseason, but those things happen AFTER the draft, not before. Unless they have a time machine, this logic is extremely flawed.
He might have been getting it towards the end of last season, but the kept at status quo because....well because we were killing fools and you don't mess with a streak.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
We should just run the Peso Defense as our nickel D. WW paired with Arthur Brown would be awesome.
Well, I doubt Brown will be there at our second round pick, so that means our first which would be a considerable reach.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
He might have been getting it towards the end of last season, but the kept at status quo because....well because we were killing fools and you don't mess with a streak.
But it clearly says "if he develops well" that it could shift their focus in the draft....not "they liked his development over the course of last year". What development could the team possibly see between now and the draft that would lead them to believe he could take over the starting MLB role?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I think the quick fix would be redoing DJ's deal (gulp extension) and moving him inside. That would allow a BPA to be taken with the 1st pick and save us money on the cap also and allow the young guys to develop behind him.

I don't think DJ would be on the street long if we did cut him.

I would like the middle of our D to be more physical DJ is a good tackler if unspectaular and he can cover better than Mays and Brookings.

Will be fun to see the tweaks we do to get over the hump.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

It's just a language error on my part. However if they feel good about the potential of both Irving, Johnson and DJ stays, they could punt on MLB and grow what they have.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I think if the right MLB falls to the Broncos they will take him, but that's a big if. As for DJ playing MLB, I guess I'll trust the Broncos to make that decision. My understanding is that the last time DJ tried MLB he failed because he couldn't grasp the playbook, not because he can't tackle or shed blocks or flow or whatever.

As for Irving, I'd love for this guy to pan out. He's definitely got the most upside.

As for Johnson, love this guy. He's got fantastic instincts, he's always around the ball. He is a true LBer at heart. That being said, dude is just not very fast. Now, if he's always in position due to his instincts and correct reads, great! But if he missjudges a play or takes a bad angle, seeyah! He's gonna be way behind.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #16
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

That's a well, but if it doesn't work out and we haven't gotten a contingency plan, then shame on he FO
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
But it clearly says "if he develops well" that it could shift their focus in the draft....not "they liked his development over the course of last year". What development could the team possibly see between now and the draft that would lead them to believe he could take over the starting MLB role?
Yeah, I think I adjusted that in my head to "If he's developed well." I wonder how often I read other people's posts through my editing filter?

It would explain a lot of my confusion sometimes.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Well, I doubt Brown will be there at our second round pick, so that means our first which would be a considerable reach.
Well we really just need another safety playing LB. In theory it is a pretty good way to slow down the spread O.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #19
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post

likely 4-5 will go in the first 2. lots of need and there are always risers like Wagner last season.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #20
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
eh, Brown should be there. but after the last MLB from KSU i'm kind of skeptical on drafting him. Pierce's bomb out makes me cynical of KSU.
Granted Brown is a nice talent.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #21
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

They're going to trust DJ not to go out drinking again? Why not just make it easy on yourself? If Minter is there at 28, take him. Problem solved.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

If DJ wants to stay, I'm sure he's willing to restructure too, right? Riiiiiight.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #23
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I really don't see how people think this is a weak draft at linebacker.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #24
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I really don't see how people think this is a weak draft at linebacker.
Agreed.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #25
Bmore Manning

Mauti would be a very nice 5th round pick. He could be a contingency plan if they are going to give Irving a chance to compete for the job.

I really think Te'o makes it to #28..