The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #51
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Call me when Clady gets paid like an elite left tackle. Until he does, he isn't.
Name one guy (drafted outside the top 5) that got paid like an elite anything before he performed on an elite level and became a FA. By definition, guys on rookie contracts can't get paid elite money UNTIL they perform that way.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #52
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Franchising Clady could be risky. Clady, if he is angered by this could holdout every off-season workout, training camp, and well into the season. This happens all the time.
All the time? No way. I'll bet you couldn't even name 5 in the last 5 years. And, as has been mentioned, the new CBA has made it even more difficult to do so. The best he can hope for is to negotiate a clause into the agreement so that he can't be franchised again next year.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #53
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Name one guy (drafted outside the top 5) that got paid like an elite anything before he performed on an elite level and became a FA. By definition, guys on rookie contracts can't get paid elite money UNTIL they perform that way.
By definition Clady will not be getting an elite contract this year either.

Now I know most folks here dislike chef fans and try to discredit them for the crappy ownership.

Maybe they are. But I suspect that the new FO staff there is going make beating them a hell of a OL harder than ever before.

Y'all might want to watch what your posting. As it probably will come back to bite you in the butt.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #54
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
All the time? No way. I'll bet you couldn't even name 5 in the last 5 years. And, as has been mentioned, the new CBA has made it even more difficult to do so. The best he can hope for is to negotiate a clause into the agreement so that he can't be franchised again next year.
They can be franchised for at least three years in a row. Each time the % escalates. Which may still be cheaper than giving him 12,000,000.00 + per year long term. Tying up 10% of the salary cap on an injury prone guy that is a finese player long term may not be the wisest move.

Tagging him year after year does not tie up long term funds nor create any dead money should he crap his pants. Think of him as a rental. Instead of buying the farm.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #55
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
By definition Clady will not be getting an elite contract this year either.
Yes, but I think we can all agree that it's only because of his injury.

Quote:
Y'all might want to watch what your posting. As it probably will come back to bite you in the butt.
I assume this is directed elsewhere, but I'm not sure who.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #56
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
They can be franchised for at least three years in a row. Each time the % escalates.
Ummm, ok. This is all well known. What I was referring to was the clause that many tagged folks are now asking for. Many will sign the tag quickly if the team agrees that they won't tag them again the following year. That IMO is the best Clady will be able to do for himself right now.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #57
Bacchus

Quote:
Getting the tag is not getting paid.

Getting paid is getting a long-term deal with a big signing bonus and guaranteed money.

Albert's deal is basically done with the Chiefs, it was announced yesterday.
Branden Albert, OT, Chiefs. Age: 28.
Branden Albert's a solid left tackle when he's in the lineup - he surrendered just one sack in 11 starts this year - but his issue is that he suffers from chronic back spasms. He can't be counted on to play 16 games.

Back spasms can be chronic your whole career.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #58
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Anyone remember when Ca$$el became elite when he signed for all that $$$? Yeah, we're still laughing about that.

And franchised players just don't sign the contract then they aren't holding out. As long as you haven't signed, you don't have to report but the money isn't guaranteed and the franchise tag can be repealed at any moment. Clady could hold out for free until the season starts or throughout most of the season but I've seen no indications that he plans to do so.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #59
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Franchising Clady could be risky. Clady, if he is angered by this could holdout every off-season workout, training camp, and well into the season. This happens all the time.

There are a lot of quality T set to be FA's this year. If Denver does not want to pay him maybe they should just sign one of these cheaper guys and let Clady go.

IMO and most will agree here we have no choice with him coming off a shoulder injury...........if Clady cannot understand the obvious then that is on him, not the Broncos !
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #60
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
guys on rookie contracts can't get paid elite money UNTIL they perform that way.
Glad to see you admit Clady is not elite!
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:29 AM   #61
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Yes, but I think we can all agree that it's only because of his injury.

I do not agree it is because of injury.

The team does not have room as we speak for a 12 million per year guy. Especially those year.

Tagging him year after year saves money and long term commitment.

Especially for a guy that has a knee issue and and now a shoulder problem.

I have said in numerous posts that tag him and draft his replacement, that having an elite OLT is no longer as big a deal as it was when everyone was using 5-7 step drop passing attacks.

When most of the under center snaps are for handoffs or quick passes pass protect is not a big deal. Then you have the shotgun snaps even less so.

Sorry but as much as y'all love the guy he is not needed as much as you want to beleive.

I said that DJ would not be back next year and that his playing time after his suspension would likely be slim and none.

Yet everyone thought he would be sorely missed so far have been absolutely correct on that one.. A few more days and he will be released as he is sucking hind teat for playing time and with his contract they need the 6 million just to fill it the roster. Hell signing Woodson will take 4 mil and we still have a few extra for collie.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #62
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Ummm, ok. This is all well known. What I was referring to was the clause that many tagged folks are now asking for. Many will sign the tag quickly if the team agrees that they won't tag them again the following year. That IMO is the best Clady will be able to do for himself right now.
He does not have to sign the tag at all. He will because he knows they have him over a barrel. He has no ther options. Hell he will probably be On PUP until TC anyway

No other team will give him more than the tag value without seeing if he has recovered form.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:22 AM   #63
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
He does not have to sign the tag at all.

He has no ther options.
By definition, both of those statements cannot be true.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #64
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Any thoughts on whether Denver should go exclusive rights or non-exclusive for Clady? IAOFM makes an interesting case for the latter...

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...nt-bruton-back
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #65
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

honestly I'd rather he just be locked up long term. He's been consistently awesome no matter what injury hes had to deal with. Plus if you're paying your QB 15 some million or more, you better be sure that your just as equally elite tackle protecting him is locked up.
srphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #66
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by srphoenix View Post
honestly I'd rather he just be locked up long term. He's been consistently awesome no matter what injury hes had to deal with. Plus if you're paying your QB 15 some million or more, you better be sure that your just as equally elite tackle protecting him is locked up.
Ehh.. he's solid so I'd like them to resign him rather than take a chance that he can be replaced but I definitely think he's got a reputation that lingers from his rookie year. I wouldn't personally call him elite though he wouldn't be many stages beneath it.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #67
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Any thoughts on whether Denver should go exclusive rights or non-exclusive for Clady? IAOFM makes an interesting case for the latter...

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...nt-bruton-back
No reason to use exclusive rights, there are several tackles in free agency this year and I doubt any team would want to burn 2 first rounders and a huge contract that they risk getting matched.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #68
ShutDownPoster
raging lurker

JUSTICE is served!!

Nobody has posted this yet?

"There's no way I'm going to be in minicamps this year because I won't be ready shoulder-wise (even) if I do get a deal done by then," Clady said. "In other words, I'm planning for (shoulder rehab), so I'm not going to be there, regardless if I don't get a deal done still. Even if I get a deal done, my chances are I probably wouldn't do much in training camp. About that time, I should be just about 100 percent around July or August -- in that area."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ix-month-rehab

Good luck getting a long term deal done this year...
ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #69
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownPoster View Post
Nobody has posted this yet?

"There's no way I'm going to be in minicamps this year because I won't be ready shoulder-wise (even) if I do get a deal done by then," Clady said. "In other words, I'm planning for (shoulder rehab), so I'm not going to be there, regardless if I don't get a deal done still. Even if I get a deal done, my chances are I probably wouldn't do much in training camp. About that time, I should be just about 100 percent around July or August -- in that area."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ix-month-rehab

Good luck getting a long term deal done this year...

Yep. Like 5-6 months of rehab. I don't blame the FO for being cautious if he doesn't get back to 100
Old 02-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #70
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

He just said he would sign the tender eventually if they don't work out a deal but would prefer to get a long term deal. I imagine they will get something done at about 90% of what Joe Thomas is making...
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #71
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Probably me.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #72
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
I do not agree it is because of injury.

The team does not have room as we speak for a 12 million per year guy. Especially those year.

Tagging him year after year saves money and long term commitment.

Especially for a guy that has a knee issue and and now a shoulder problem.

I have said in numerous posts that tag him and draft his replacement, that having an elite OLT is no longer as big a deal as it was when everyone was using 5-7 step drop passing attacks.

When most of the under center snaps are for handoffs or quick passes pass protect is not a big deal. Then you have the shotgun snaps even less so.

Sorry but as much as y'all love the guy he is not needed as much as you want to beleive.

I said that DJ would not be back next year and that his playing time after his suspension would likely be slim and none.

Yet everyone thought he would be sorely missed so far have been absolutely correct on that one.. A few more days and he will be released as he is sucking hind teat for playing time and with his contract they need the 6 million just to fill it the roster. Hell signing Woodson will take 4 mil and we still have a few extra for collie.

I would really love for you to actually watch any of our games from this season and tell me how many times Manning either takes a 5 step or more drop and or holds the ball long enough to go through multiple progressions before he throws.

Tebow was a 1st option guy or run. If you look at the Baltimore loss you will see PM taking deeper drops and holding the ball forever trying to find an open receiver. If we just had some dude back there Manning would retire before his head got torn off.

I know I have told you this before, just watch the play that should have been a Tuck call that Manning was ruled fumbling on. He took at least a 5 step drop, scanned the field at least twice while adjusting inside the pocket before Kuper (I believe, I know it came from his side and I haven't watched it since) could not hold up his block and allowed his man to attack from the inside and get to Manning. The whole time this was going on Clady had his guy one on one totally kept out of the play. Manning got sacked a couple times in that game but it was not off Clady.

I implore you to rewatch one of our games and then rethink your stance.

Our O is totally different from the fast break O that the Pat's run. Brady gets the ball out much quicker than we do because their whole scheme is around throwing the ball at or near the LOS and allowing the receiver to make a move on a guy and pick up YAC, much like a long hand off. They use the deep ball to keep teams honest or when they start seeing the D break down. Brady is very good at finding the holes in the Zone and communicating with his receivers.

Our O is more down field, we go to the under stuff for check downs, If you noticed we only ran that WR screen thrown to the LOS once in that game, in a situation where we baited the Ravens into it working because of the downfield routes during that drive. We don't throw to the slot at the LOS and expect Stokely to pick up YAC on 1st down. We have been throwing to the Slot and TE's DOWN FIELD in pure passing situations which requires having great protection for the routes to come open. Think about that TD to Stokely or any of Stokely's great 3rd down receptions during the year. Everyone knows it is coming but the protection is so good that Stokely has the time to get open and make a move 8-15 yards downfield.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #73
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Haha. Albert is going to get paid before Clady.

Albert > Clady
Chiefs | Branden Albert receives franchise tag
Mon, 04 Mar 2013 13:15:11 -0800

The Kansas City Chiefs have placed their franchise tag on impending free-agent OT Branden Albert.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2MbrBtgOP

Blob, mouth cashing checks his ass can't back since 2004.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #74
Bacchus

I do not understand why they franchised him. He is above average, I guess they want the franchise for a year to see how his back holds up. They would have been better franchising Bowe.