The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #1451
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Thoughts on Akeem Spence to HOU, Mr. Mediator?
Honestly, I missed him still being on the board after this weekend

I thought he had been taken already, but no big deal for me. Already got my HOSS!

I agree Buchanon and Spence struggled mightily this year, not sure it was scheme related though. It had more to do with the team not believing in what they were doing, because they liked the freeedom in the last scheme more. It was hard to grade both those guys based on that, but the talent is there.

The fit is what I like Most. He is a natural one gap DT. That being said, he only had 3.5 career sacks playing next to Corey Liuget, Buchanon, and Mercilus! It's a good thing he plays the run on the way to the QB!

I think he could be a solid rotational NT in the Wade Phillips 3-4 and allow Earl Mitchell to play DE more than he did last year when he spelled Shaun Cody at NT.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #1452
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I read an article where Spence came out and said a lot of the guys (especially the back end of the defense) were struggling because they were running different coverages and concepts that they were not used to and felt that was one of the primary reasons for their epic meltdowns on defense this year. Not sure if it was an excuse or what, but either way, that defense performed terrible. . . And I'm glad you think it is a good fit.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #1453
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
You are too kind. I hope my signing bonus is in meth.
What if you were offered some kind of stock option equity plan? With this kind of promotion you could have as many as 4 people working under you.

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #1454
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I really like Micah Hyde the player. I have some close Iowa Ties, and they continually put out some quality DB's in the later rounds. Very few playmakers or gamechangers, but he grades higher on film due to his versatility than a late fifth round pick to me. Sanders Commings was much better value, but I like Hyde's Game to the NFL.
Thanks. Commings was a target of mine there until you grabbed him. Hyde has some similar versatility.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #1455
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

If we speed this thing up I will be able to make my pick before heading out of town for work tomorrow morning.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #1456
Conklin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
If we speed this thing up I will be able to make my pick before heading out of town for work tomorrow morning.
Put together a 1-10 and keep it on you, I can text you the recent picks when you are on the clock if needed ;-)
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #1457
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

You will never believe me if I told you... I DO NOT HAVE TEXTING lol.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #1458
Conklin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
You will never believe me if I told you... I DO NOT HAVE TEXTING lol.
still living in the Broncos Super Bowl years I see.
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #1459
phibacka31
Ring of Famer

Leggo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Pick will be in VERY shortly. Trying to get a hole of SSJ to confer on our pick
phibacka31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #1460
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phibacka31 View Post
Pick will be in VERY shortly. Trying to get a hole of SSJ to confer on our pick
He PM'd me saying your box was full and to go ahead and draft that kicker you guys talked about.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #1461
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Don't like Ray Graham. Not before the 7th Round. Injury history, including ACL. Runs extremely slow. Looked pretty bad this year, so you're hoping his quickness comes back after more time from the injury. I think he replaces Reggie Bush only in his wetest dreams. He's a versatile guy whom follows the Pittsburgh mold, but there were better options left. He needs his quicks to have a chance to make it in the NFL, especially with 4.8 speed. He didn't have them this season. Pretty risky pick with some of the massive value that has slid in this draft.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #1462
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Draft value on Goodwin is probably okay at this point, though I'm not overly high on him. Texas never used him. He caught about 30 balls a year from his Freshman through his Senior season. And he only returned a handful of kicks each season as well. He just wasn't used. The fact he is being drafted at all is entirely based on his Senior Bowl and Combine along with the hope that perhaps Texas didn't know what they were doing. His small stature doesn't help either. Selection would have made more sense to me if a team that didn't have Randall Cobb drafted him.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #1463
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Don't like Ray Graham. Not before the 7th Round. Injury history, including ACL. Runs extremely slow. Looked pretty bad this year, so you're hoping his quickness comes back after more time from the injury. I think he replaces Reggie Bush only in his wetest dreams. He's a versatile guy whom follows the Pittsburgh mold, but there were better options left. He needs his quicks to have a chance to make it in the NFL, especially with 4.8 speed. He didn't have them this season. Pretty risky pick with some of the massive value that has slid in this draft.
Agreed, didn't even have him on my board at)...small...slow...and coming off injurirs
jebures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #1464
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebures View Post
Agreed, didn't even have him on my board at)...small...slow...and coming off injurirs
"Small, slow, and coming off injuries is no way to go through life, son."

BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #1465
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I knew Goodwin would have to go pretty soon. If Al Davis was still around, he wouldn't get past the second round. Some team will roll the dice on his speed, but you have to wonder about everything else.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #1466
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I am still a little upset that Dmitri took DJ Hayden. I thought for SURE no one would gamble on the kid until the sixth round and then Mayock went and put him at number 3 on his CB rankings.....

The more I watch this kid on film, he looks smoother and more comfortable in coverage. He can play press or off equally well. He even tackles well. He is also damn efficient with his situational football. Making tackles before the first down is made in both run and passing games. He has to be the best player in this draft no one really knows, because of the vein rupture. Yes, his medical is going to be paramount in his selection value for this draft.

However, people who evaluate the draft on the internet rarely really understand how teams actually grade injuries. This particular injury is unknown of in the athletic field, because it is a vein trauma. However, the people who have survived this injury, mainly from Combat trauma, have not only made full recoveries, but have no lingering effects. That he has survived and is already working out means he is physically on his way to recovery.

The only 2 issues you have with this kid are level of competition and mental recovery. I believe surviving this kind of injury and being a young kid will only make him stronger mentally. It will also make him hungrier to be the best CB he can be. I only slightly downgrade him due to level of competition, because we have seen some other small school DB's come into the NFL and more than hold their own against their various large school overrated prospects.

Oh well, I have only got one player I really wanted in this draft full of amazing depth. I really wanted this Kid Dmitri, so nice job and I currently hate you a lot
Old 03-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #1467
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quanterus Smith is a very interesting selection. Would have rather seen the Broncos take him than Gholston. Has the frame to put on more weight if needed. Will fit in well in a 34 defense at current weight. Small school at Western Kentucky but flashed against better competition such as Alabama. Not sure where he fits with Baltimore having Suggs, Dumervil, and Upshaw, but you can never have too many pass rushers.

Biggest issue is the torn ACL and whether he'll be able to offer much impact this season. Might be an IR stash that pays dividends down the road.

In terms of draft value, this is about right to me. He was probably the most explosive pass rush prospect remaining on the board.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #1468
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I am still a little upset that Dmitri took DJ Hayden. I thought for SURE no one would gamble on the kid until the sixth round and then Mayock went and put him at number 3 on his CB rankings.....

The more I watch this kid on film, he looks smoother and more comfortable in coverage. He can play press or off equally well. He even tackles well. He is also damn efficient with his situational football. Making tackles before the first down is made in both run and passing games. He has to be the best player in this draft no one really knows, because of the vein rupture. Yes, his medical is going to be paramount in his selection value for this draft.

However, people who evaluate the draft on the internet rarely really understand how teams actually grade injuries. This particular injury is unknown of in the athletic field, because it is a vein trauma. However, the people who have survived this injury, mainly from Combat trauma, have not only made full recoveries, but have no lingering effects. That he has survived and is already working out means he is physically on his way to recovery.

The only 2 issues you have with this kid are level of competition and mental recovery. I believe surviving this kind of injury and being a young kid will only make him stronger mentally. It will also make him hungrier to be the best CB he can be. I only slightly downgrade him due to level of competition, because we have seen some other small school DB's come into the NFL and more than hold their own against their various large school overrated prospects.

Oh well, I have only got one player I really wanted in this draft full of amazing depth. I really wanted this Kid Dmitri, so nice job and I currently hate you a lot
To be fair to the guy that drafted him (Dmitri apparently), he took him before Mayock made that change. That happened a day or two after.

I'm still sketchy on whether this condition is behind him. There has never been an individual that dealt with this that went into a profession where his body would take a violent beating daily. I understand the Armed Forces has combat training and extensive cardio, but in football, he's going to be asked to absorb violent collisions often. That's where this is unchartered territory. I don't think the cardio and the strain concern doctors as much as the blunt force trauma he is going to be taking early and often for the next however many years.

And I agree that Lotulelei's issue is very concerning as well. I haven't looked into exactly what is going on with him, but Gaines Adams did pop into my mind as well.

I think my policy would be to just avoid heart issues altogether, along with pretty much any other serious injury where there is long term risk.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #1469
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I knew Goodwin would have to go pretty soon. If Al Davis was still around, he wouldn't get past the second round. Some team will roll the dice on his speed, but you have to wonder about everything else.
You don't have to wonder about his ability to blow up defenders. Goodwin is lined up on the outside at the top of the screen.

Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #1470
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
To be fair to the guy that drafted him (Dmitri apparently), he took him before Mayock made that change. That happened a day or two after.

I'm still sketchy on whether this condition is behind him. There has never been an individual that dealt with this that went into a profession where his body would take a violent beating daily. I understand the Armed Forces has combat training and extensive cardio, but in football, he's going to be asked to absorb violent collisions often. That's where this is unchartered territory. I don't think the cardio and the strain concern doctors as much as the blunt force trauma he is going to be taking early and often for the next however many years.

And I agree that Lotulelei's issue is very concerning as well. I haven't looked into exactly what is going on with him, but Gaines Adams did pop into my mind as well.

I think my policy would be to just avoid heart issues altogether, along with pretty much any other serious injury where there is long term risk.
With Hayden its important to understand his is a tissue injury, not the actual system injury that is the biggest concern with heart related issues. Technically, its not a heart issue at all, and Lotulelei's will forever be a heart issue and need constant monitoring.

If you know Ranger training, its not even close to low impact! These guys do combatives training, IE mixed martial arts every week, and take very physical blows during combat tours and pre-deployment buildups such as parachuting. The military also has a very strict and capable medical clearance system, that destroys the team centered crap the NFL uses to clear players to play.

I am very confident Hayden will not only get full clearance quickly, he will be ready to go at the first OTA since it will be low impact.

Have you watched Hayden play any more since last time? I really think he is a top 5 CB in this draft talent wise, and I love his game. One of the more complete CB's skills set wise and has real solid mental game to go with it.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #1471
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quanterous Smith is a real interesting pick. Like Josh Chapman last year, Tank Carradine and Brandon Jenkins this year, he is a great talent with a potential year ending injury. The question is talent versus utility in making a pick here. Signing Dumervil, this makes a lot more sense as its a talent stash on IR pick like INDY did with Chapman last year.

Tharold Simon on the other hand scares me coming out. He is one of those guys whose circumstances dictated he come out early and he is nowhere near ready in any aspect of the game to play next year. Only a one year starter, his tape shows ability and some minor flash, but more often than not its a mess. He needed more technique work, more situational work, and alot more experience in NOT grabbing when he got beat out of breaks. I am not sure he understands route recognition at all either.

Personally, I would have to move him to safety and only rely on him on ST's right away and keep it simple with him. In a year or so with solid film work and a ton of offseason technique work he might be able to play in defensive situations. Right now, I just could not trust him to even backup a CB.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #1472
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

I have spent a massive amount of time on Tharold Simon, and he's one of my favorite prospects in this draft. I like him as a person, and I think he's one of the best pure CB talents this draft has to offer. I think he compares favorably to Xavier Rhodes. I expect him to go in the 3rd Round probably just before or after Logan Ryan. This was one of the best selections in this entire draft.

Simon is raw. He's been a CB for three years. He's improved massively every year. He's better than Tyrann and he'll be drafted higher. His upside is exponentially higher. His biggest issue is refining his technique and getting stronger to be more effective at press.

He's fluid in transition. He has good hips. He has the size and speed to be a prototype NFL CB. He has a tremendous personality. He's a very intelligent individual and a student of the game. He's going to be a phenominal NFL starter in three years.

If the Bengals needed a CB, I would have traded all my remaining selections to get him. I expect the hype on him to start building massively as the draft approaches.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #1473
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I have spent a massive amount of time on Tharold Simon, and he's one of my favorite prospects in this draft. I like him as a person, and I think he's one of the best pure CB talents this draft has to offer. I think he compares favorably to Xavier Rhodes. I expect him to go in the 3rd Round probably just before or after Logan Ryan. This was one of the best selections in this entire draft.

Simon is raw. He's been a CB for three years. He's improved massively every year. He's better than Tyrann and he'll be drafted higher. His upside is exponentially higher. His biggest issue is refining his technique and getting stronger to be more effective at press.

He's fluid in transition. He has good hips. He has the size and speed to be a prototype NFL CB. He has a tremendous personality. He's a very intelligent individual and a student of the game. He's going to be a phenominal NFL starter in three years.

If the Bengals needed a CB, I would have traded all my remaining selections to get him. I expect the hype on him to start building massively as the draft approaches.
I see the flashes, but I totally disagree on the mental side of the game and his football intelligence.

He made way too many inexperience mistakes and he failed way too often to read routes properly. If anyone needed another year in school its this kid as Raw is an understatement. He has a kid and I get wanting to come out so he can support the family, but he is doing a tremendous disservice to an NFL team by coming out early IMHO. He needs experience, and he will NOT get any at the next level.

So, it would take 3 years to get to starting caliber instead of maybe one if he stayed in school. That fact alone will drop him, not make him rise up boards IMHO.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #1474
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
With Hayden its important to understand his is a tissue injury, not the actual system injury that is the biggest concern with heart related issues. Technically, its not a heart issue at all, and Lotulelei's will forever be a heart issue and need constant monitoring.

If you know Ranger training, its not even close to low impact! These guys do combatives training, IE mixed martial arts every week, and take very physical blows during combat tours and pre-deployment buildups such as parachuting. The military also has a very strict and capable medical clearance system, that destroys the team centered crap the NFL uses to clear players to play.

I am very confident Hayden will not only get full clearance quickly, he will be ready to go at the first OTA since it will be low impact.

Have you watched Hayden play any more since last time? I really think he is a top 5 CB in this draft talent wise, and I love his game. One of the more complete CB's skills set wise and has real solid mental game to go with it.

My issue with Hayden is the medical. If that checks out, then I think he goes in the mid round area. If not, he goes undrafted. I do downgrade for level of competition, I have Robert Alford in the same range. More often than not, small school guys do not work out regardless of their production and tape. I like to play the historical odds. But there are some success stories (Lardarius Webb and Brandon Carr come to mind).

Also, draft history shows small school CBs don't get drafted until the 3rd Round at best. I could see Hayden go that high because of his prototype size/speed if he checks out medically. The last time a small school CB was drafted before the 3rd round (and this is not counting Janoris Jenkins), was 2008, when Leodis McKelvin (Troy) and Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie (Tennessee State) went in the 1st Round. That didn't turn out that well for the Bills and Cardinals. Draft history can't be the end-all, be-all for draft value purposes, but it is an important tool.

But, again, my main issue is the medical and what I've heard reported about his condition. You're saying those reports (along with internet research) are erroneous. I'm skeptical because I don't know your qualifications to make that assessment, though I certainly understand the logic you are connecting to do so. Those reports and concerns could be overblown and you could well be right, but then again, you might not be. I am very interested to see some doctors sign off on Hayden. To my knowledge, they have all been reluctant to do so because of the unknown nature of this injury combined with football.

I'm not really overly invested with him as a prospect. I think he's interesting, but I don't love him. I've watched his tape to the degree available. He looks strong against lesser competition and flashes excellent athleticism, but to me, that combination means 3rd round at best before medical concerns. I'm getting repetitive with that, but that's all I've really got to say on him. We'll see how it all unfolds.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #1475
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I see the flashes, but I totally disagree on the mental side of the game and his football intelligence.

He made way too many inexperience mistakes and he failed way too often to read routes properly. If anyone needed another year in school its this kid as Raw is an understatement. He has a kid and I get wanting to come out so he can support the family, but he is doing a tremendous disservice to an NFL team by coming out early IMHO. He needs experience, and he will NOT get any at the next level.

So, it would take 3 years to get to starting caliber instead of maybe one if he stayed in school. That fact alone will drop him, not make him rise up boards IMHO.
He's raw, but not uncooked raw. He was stellar the last two years, and this year he drew #1 WRs and acquitted himself pretty well. He's a big student of the game, his film study is top notch, though he needs more effort in the weight room. He has a huge slow southern cajun drawl, so I can understand the intelligence hesitation, but he's thoughtful and thorough in all the interviews I've listened to. And he has a really nice mix of being humble and extremely confident at the same time. I like that. He models his game after Richard Sherman and claims one of his standout traits is his aggressiveness and that he's a tackling machine.

He's not coming out because he has a son. That's NFL.Com conjecture, he's coming out because he thinks he's one of the best CBs in this draft, and regardless of where he's drafted, that will come to bear in the NFL. Again, he points to Richard Sherman's situation. Peter Schaffer is his super-agent, so that probably didn't help with that opinion either.

I agree with you that he needed another year, but so do a lot of ultra-talented players that come out. He's a three year project that has the skillset, size, motivation, and work ethic to succeed. I'm not sure another year would have been enough to get him as seasoned as he needs to be, it would have gotten him drafted in the first or second round, but he might need NFL coaching to really round into form. He said his mentor, Patrick Peterson, told him he's ready to go pro now, and that he was influenced by the entire LSU defense turning pro and the comraderie they all share. Probably not the greatest thing that he's prone to peer pressure apparently, but this guy is a diamond in the rough in terms of upside. And I think he's a pretty safe bet to reach it.

One of the top prospects in the entire draft for me that won't go in the first two, possibly even three, rounds. I feel really strongly he's going to be an absolute stud down the road. He'll be a career I follow.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: