The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #926
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
He is by far the best pass rusher on FSU..
What did he injure this year, he only played in one game correct?
jebures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #927
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Wow, the 2 guys I had as BPA as non QB's go right off the board back to back. I knew Requiem and Bmore knew their stuff! Really not a good year to be in a weak draft position like INDY.

Oh Well, Nice drafting. this might be the best talent ranked draft I have seen in a while, but value is still suffering mightily which means there are some tremendous bargains on the floor. Time to start trade discussions with anyone still here....
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #928
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I really do like Brandon Jenkins. It may be Nole bias, but I like him. At this point in time -- he is just a pass rusher, which will make him a get for a 3-4 team or someone who needs a rush end in the 4-3. His run defense needs work (POA strength) to become more consistent and his play dropped off as a junior from his sophomore year. He makes a lot of plays behind the LOS, but I wonder how much the talent around him on the FSU defense made that happen. If he goes to a team where he can pin his ears back and just go after the passer, he will be an absolute terror. Will be exciting to see where him and Carradine actually go in the draft because of their injuries. Had Jenkins not been hurt, he would probably be a very high selection.

Not as much length, but reminds me of BC's Mathias Kiwanuka coming out of school -- who unfortunately never lived up to his billing as a pro. I expect Jenkins will.

Last edited by Requiem; 03-09-2013 at 05:32 PM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #929
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Wow, the 2 guys I had as BPA as non QB's go right off the board back to back. I knew Requiem and Bmore knew their stuff! Really not a good year to be in a weak draft position like INDY.

Oh Well, Nice drafting. this might be the best talent ranked draft I have seen in a while, but value is still suffering mightily which means there are some tremendous bargains on the floor. Time to start trade discussions with anyone still here....
I had about 3-4 PMs asking me about Jenkins and if that was the guy I wanted to trade up for, but I have Michael Johnson at least for one more year.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #930
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebures View Post
What did he injure this year, he only played in one game correct?
Broken foot the first game of the season. He already had a sack and three tackles, in that game...
Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #931
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I really do like Brandon Jenkins. It may be Nole bias, but I like him. At this point in time -- he is just a pass rusher, which will make him a get for a 3-4 team or someone who needs a rush end in the 4-3. His run defense needs work (POA strength) to become more consistent and his play dropped off as a junior from his sophomore year. He makes a lot of plays behind the LOS, but I wonder how much the talent around him on the FSU defense made that happen. If he goes to a team where he can pin his ears back and just go after the passer, he will be an absolute terror. Will be exciting to see where him and Carradine actually go in the draft because of their injuries. Had Jenkins not been hurt, he would probably be a very high selection.

Not as much length, but reminds me of BC's Mathias Kiwanuka coming out of school -- who unfortunately never lived up to his billing as a pro. I expect Jenkins will.
He does NOT remind me of Kiwanuka coming out at all. Kiwanuka was LAZY. I watched him play locally in high School at Cathedral and he never applied himself and played all along on talent, not heart.

I think Jenkins will be a very good PRS and maybe a ROLB for a 3-4. Not happy with his Change of direction skills as a LB, but if he was NOT injured I would have taken him at 86.

The reason I have him ranked lower is the Lisfranc injury on a speed player. Not only does it take time to get back to healthy, more often than not its chronic. And, that first step is his greatest weapon coming out and it may be compromised. No way to know, until you draft the guy. We do no get medical reports as Internet drafters, and I learned my lesson awhile ago on getting a player with damaged goods.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #932
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Broken foot the first game of the season. He already had a sack and three tackles, in that game...
must have been a little more complicated than a simple fracture then. 8 weeks max for bone healing.
jebures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #933
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebures View Post
must have been a little more complicated than a simple fracture then. 8 weeks max for bone healing.
He had a Lisfranc fracture. Not good on speed guys as I said before...

Being a Noles fan and all....
Old 03-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #934
Bmore Manning

Quote:

His play slipped as a Junior because he was double teamed, which got Werner recognition thanks to one on one match ups, but I'm sure you knew that!

He still had 8 sacks being double teamed all season too

2010: 13.5 Sacks, 21.5 TFL
2011: 8 Sacks, 12 TFL (Double Teamed Almost All Season)
Old 03-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #935
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
He does NOT remind me of Kiwanuka coming out at all. Kiwanuka was LAZY. I watched him play locally in high School at Cathedral and he never applied himself and played all along on talent, not heart.

I think Jenkins will be a very good PRS and maybe a ROLB for a 3-4. Not happy with his Change of direction skills as a LB, but if he was NOT injured I would have taken him at 86.

The reason I have him ranked lower is the Lisfranc injury on a speed player. Not only does it take time to get back to healthy, more often than not its chronic. And, that first step is his greatest weapon coming out and it may be compromised. No way to know, until you draft the guy. We do no get medical reports as Internet drafters, and I learned my lesson awhile ago on getting a player with damaged goods.
The speed rusher thing is why I drew the comparison. I thought Kiwanuka was explosive with his first step off the ball at BC and so was Jenkins. I didn't know that Kiwanuka was lazy, but maybe that explains why he never made it as a pro. I kind of thought it was because the Giants had Osi, Tuck, etc. and there just wasn't enough PT to go around.

I understand why you had him graded down. With a serious foot injury like that, it could really kill his explosiveness on the LOS which is the premier reason he was able to do so much against his competition. Either way, I think it is solid value for Jenkins and probably where he is going to go. I don't think this draft has a lot of great pass rushers at the end spot, so Bmore getting him here is a good value IMHO, even if it is a little bit of a roll.

From my PMs, I knew he wasn't going to get out of the third round at all, so Bmore was probably right to do his thing.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #936
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Criminal Bengals 2013 Draft

#18 -- Alec Ogletree, LB
#36 -- DeAndre Hopkins, WR
#37 -- Jonathan Cyprien, S
#86 -- Giovani Bernard, RB

Still to come. . .

First of all, I feel really good about this draft. Regardless of me having them in this mock, I think they all have the potential of being extremely good pros in the NFL. They are Day 1 contributors in my mind and some of the best playmakers at their positions in the entire draft. As mentioned earlier, they are all in my Top 50 and in a deep draft like this, I think that is incredible to be able to snag them -- even if I was lucky enough to have the Raiders second rounder because they were silly enough to trade for Old Man Palmer.

I was surprised that RB has been an after thought in this draft. I do have Le'Veon Bell as my highest rated guy (barely), but Bernard was right behind him. Lacy was not one of my top guys and quite frankly, do not think he is going to be that great of a professional. I really thought that some team would have scooped up Giovani by now -- especially teams who need a RB that can also catch the ball out of the backfield. I really don't get how he fell this far. I thought he had a good combine, despite being smaller than advertised.

IMHO -- I got four starters and have enough picks left (and hopefully a compensatory) to end up getting some depth on our roster. There are still a lot of GREAT PLAYERS on board so there should be some guys left in the fifth round. Don't count out the Bengals trying to make another move up for a high target of theirs if the price is right.
Solid draft....4 players who can step right in and make the Bengals a better team right off the bat.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #937
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
His play slipped as a Junior because he was double teamed, which got Werner recognition thanks to one on one match ups, but I'm sure you knew that!

He still had 8 sacks being double teamed all season too

2010: 13.5 Sacks, 21.5 TFL
2011: 8 Sacks, 12 TFL (Double Teamed Almost All Season)
Yes, one of the reasons. The Wake game comes to mind when he had the OG chipping on him all game and he still destroyed them. I think you got a real good player on your hands there. It will be interesting to see if he is still as explosive after the lisfranc injury against Murray State.

Sucked ass that we lost him to a garbage game this year. Really think he would have been the difference in FSU being a true contender. But c'est le vie. As a Noles fan I really hope our young guys step up with Tank, Jenkins and Werner all leaving, not to mention our DTs. Lost a lot of beef this year.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #938
Bmore Manning

I think he's more refined with his pass rushing moves than Werner and Tank.. But Jenkins won't beat anyone on strength. But he has a bevy of moves and I think he will be fine. Reminds me of Robert Mathis.. What you think Med?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #939
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I think he will go higher than this, so he was a good value at 86 or so. If I drafted differently, I would have rolled the dice on him here for sure.

I also like Jenkins, Werner, and Tank coming out. Werner is the only healthy one and that is why he is rated higher. However, they ALL helped each other look better and they had a great back seven behind them as well. FSU can still play defense, and they all deserve to be gone by here. Unfortunately, 2 are seriously injured and that makes a huge difference come draft time....
Old 03-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #940
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I can see it now. . . Denver drops Dumervil. . . gets a Jenkins. . . :O
Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #941
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I think he's more refined with his pass rushing moves than Werner and Tank.. But Jenkins won't beat anyone on strength. But he has a bevy of moves and I think he will be fine. Reminds me of Robert Mathis.. What you think Med?
No, he does not remind me of Robert Mathis, he is 3 inches too tall and 20lbs heavier Mathis is also a 4.5 guy like Freeney and I am not sure he ewas ever that quick.

However, he is a real solid pass rusher and one of the few who can take speed to power naturally and also understand how to set guys up with moves and on stunts. He has a lot of experience for missing a year, and it showed in his game as a junior. As long as he does not lose that explosive first step, he will at least be a PRS in the NFL. Late third is a risk I would not take for that, but before injury I would have late first taken him!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #942
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I was going to move up and get Jenkins but not at the cost of my 4th which is ahead of Req, my 5th (19 picks before Req) and another pick. Lucky for me I was talking with the right people not to trade more.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #943
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

You should see the Game tape of Mathis playing gunner on ST's too. Remember TD on ST's getting his shot with DEN, Mathis used to pummel guys on ST's

No one knew who he was, until he sent, wait for it, VHS tape of him playing at Alabama A&M, to teams in the NFL. Polian never knew who he was coming out and the draft was not as keen on the small school guys back then. I heard John Teerlink tell that story at a coaching seminar once... Still laugh at scouting moments like that.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #944
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I was going to move up and get Jenkins but not at the cost of my 4th which is ahead of Req, my 5th (19 picks before Req) and another pick. Lucky for me I was talking with the right people not to trade more.
Everyone has their price, and I am glad you are happy you did not overpay

The thing about trades, is it has to be fair for both sides. CIN really wanted their guy and either could have been off the board at my pick. I was seriously considering Bernard on value alone and Jenkins right after that. I got what I needed though. Ammo to move around again
Old 03-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #945
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Brandon Jenkins actually strongly reminds me of the other Colt LB, Jerry Hughes when he played at TCU. Not really sure what has happened to Hughes with the Colts though.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #946
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
. . . and at the end of the day the Bengals still have the same # of selections as they did entering the draft, but undoubtedly higher impact players than they would have gotten at their original selections. I'm fine with wheeling and dealing. I am always one of the most active people in these drafts anyways. I am not the GM of a club who needs all the talent they can get.

I'm absolutely thrilled people felt the need to take OL players way ahead of where they should have been taken and am thankful the draft at DT was this deep. Then again, I have a good LT and RT and an All-Pro DT (damn shame Denver didn't draft Atkins like I said they should have!) so it was never a position of need. Which is why I didn't have to include many of those guys in my top rankings as they were luxuries and not needs going forward.

I feel that there are SOME teams getting great value in this draft, but a lot of people wasting it. I can look at over a dozen teams in this draft and have to ask them if they really think some of their top picks will be difference makers in the NFL -- or even starters. When I look at my draft, I know everyone of them IS going to be -- and that isn't even a question. My goal has been and always will be to put starters on the board immediately with my top three picks.

Want my 5, 6 and 7 for your 4th -- cause I'll gladly take another starter.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #947
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Everyone has their price, and I am glad you are happy you did not overpay

The thing about trades, is it has to be fair for both sides. CIN really wanted their guy and either could have been off the board at my pick. I was seriously considering Bernard on value alone and Jenkins right after that. I got what I needed though. Ammo to move around again
Cin did well moving up for his guy, I guess knowing what I know now moving up to screw over Bmore might have been worth it.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #948
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Cin did well moving up for his guy, I guess knowing what I know now moving up to screw over Bmore might have been worth it.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #949
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Brandon Jenkins actually strongly reminds me of the other Colt LB, Jerry Hughes when he played at TCU. Not really sure what has happened to Hughes with the Colts though.
Hughes was smaller coming out and his Defense was geared for him to be a pass rusher schematically. He is actually more like Mathis Physically than Jenkins, just not as smart. He also struggles to convert speed to power like Mathis and Freeney could do in his prime. Hughes is really more suited to INDY's new 3-4 rush scheme too, keeping on the edge more.

Hughes has had to sit behind Freeney and Mathis the last few years, but he will be getting a lot more reps with Freeney gone
Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #950
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Time changes tonight, so srphoenix loses an hour to select

Seriously though, lets get this going!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: