The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #676
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
There's another still on the board that would benefit from a zone.
I have three left on my board

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 03-05-2013 at 08:17 PM..
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #677
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Off-man. That is about it. All his interceptions came in zone scenarios or in off-man coverage where he use his eyes and read the route/QB. Press-man was a no-go for him at NCST. He doesn't have experience in it like Xavier Rhodes does. Which is the debate I had with you earlier. I can link you to forums where Wolfpack diehards say the same thing and even dozens of them saying he would be best at FS.

As I said, he will go to a heavy zone team or end up at FS. Just watch. I'll leave the forums for the year if he doesn't.

I think the thing to keep in mind though is that he's fast, he's big, and he has ball skills. I don't see any reason at all why a good DC couldn't teach him how to play press man. For example, the Jags' new coach. He has all the skills required to be good. Maybe it takes some time, but once he ran a 4.4 at 6'1, 205, it shows he has the size and athleticism to play any scheme.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #678
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Off-man. That is about it. All his interceptions came in zone scenarios or in off-man coverage where he use his eyes and read the route/QB. Press-man was a no-go for him at NCST. He doesn't have experience in it like Xavier Rhodes does. Which is the debate I had with you earlier. I can link you to forums where Wolfpack diehards say the same thing and even dozens of them saying he would be best at FS.

As I said, he will go to a heavy zone team or end up at FS. Just watch. I'll leave the forums for the year if he doesn't.
I took him because the 9ers can use him at S or try him at CB and see how he does.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #679
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
I think the thing to keep in mind though is that he's fast, he's big, and he has ball skills. I don't see any reason at all why a good DC couldn't teach him how to play press man. For example, the Jags' new coach. He has all the skills required to be good. Maybe it takes some time, but once he ran a 4.4 at 6'1, 205, it shows he has the size and athleticism to play any scheme.
If those were the requisites for NFL success, Vernon Gholston would be a 5 time DPOY.

...but maybe Rex isn't a qualified enough defensive mind, eh?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #680
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
If those were the requisites for NFL success, Vernon Gholston would be a 5 time DPOY.

...but maybe Rex isn't a qualified enough defensive mind, eh?
I hear you, and I understand your overall point.

I don't think Amerson compares to Gholston. Vernon was a one year wonder on a good team that blew up the Combine. Amerson's had high production for three years on a bad team, and showed better than anticipated athleticism at the Combine. I think we're safe looking at him in the 2nd Round. I could see him going in Round 1 if he shows good agility at his Pro Day.

Sometimes the prototype athlete at a position does pan out though with good coaching. I'm more optimistic with Amerson than pessimistic in that regard.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #681
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

What the **** BMore!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #682
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
What the **** BMore!!!!
Sorry bro, I fell asleep I am on the East Coast after all... It was late.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:33 AM   #683
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
I think there's a decent chance he gets selected at #33 overall by the Jags in RL. He seems the exact type of CB that Bradley prefers. Banks is in that equation too, but Amerson was so productive in college and he has flawless measureables. Refining his technique shouldn't be too hard.
I don't know. Mayock was on last night saying that Amerson got burned for more TDs last season than any player he's ever evaluated (he didn't give any specific numbers, so that may have been hyperbole). He said he was too eager to go for picks and bit frequently on play-action. Good measurables and ball skills, but it sounds like the high numbers of picks may be the result of wreckless gambling.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #684
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I don't know. Mayock was on last night saying that Amerson got burned for more TDs last season than any player he's ever evaluated (he didn't give any specific numbers, so that may have been hyperbole). He said he was too eager to go for picks and bit frequently on play-action. Good measurables and ball skills, but it sounds like the high numbers of picks may be the result of wreckless gambling.
Well, you should know that he isn't using hyperbole Inferno -- you're a Clemson fan. You don't remember Boyd going off for 5 touchdowns in the air and three on the ground against the Wolfpack? Watkins, Ford and Hopkins (who burned him for 62 yards) all went retarded on the field. Amerson was beat like a drum in that game, and more importantly against Tennessee and Miami this year to start the year when everyone wa saying how great he was. He never recovered -- those games got to him and it showed the whole season.

He was ABSOLUTELY abused in all three of those games. He came into the season as a likely first round selection. His stock dropped considerably and probably went down as low as the third round. That is just this year alone. The same thing happened against Clemson and Louisville in 2011, though he did have two picks (and a return TD) against Louisville, he also gave that up in touchdowns. These are games I watched in full and have marked down has terrible performances by him. That is five games out of 25 in his last two seasons -- and I can't help but assume that there were other bad ones out there, especially with Mayock evaluating every aspect of his game.

He went up against several receivers in this years draft (good ones too) and completely **** the bed. Hopkins, Patterson, Hunter etc. -- he even struggle against some FSU receivers who probably aren't going to amount to anything in the NFL. Some people think I'm making this **** up, but I watch ACC ball and I know how badly he played through the whole year. This isn't 2011 where he played lights out and had thirteen interceptions. He should have went back to school. He NEEDED to go back to school. People will look at his 5 picks this year and assume he had a good year, he didn't.

His own coach (O'Brein) called him out for lack of discipline, being wreckless and not sticking to his assignments because of his off the field issues and even questioned his mental strength of the game. There are few players I got to see as much this year as Amerson, and everything I say is the absolute truth. I don't sugar coat **** because I like a guy off the bat or don't -- I tell it like it is. I want to like Amerson, I really do, but on tape the guy just doesn't do it for me. Not when it matters most and not when it comes to the simple things that make a CB great.

He played like piss this year and I stand by my evaluation that he is best suited in a zone scheme or in off-man coverage (so he can trail) where he can't make his read on the QB and then go after the ball. And at times he even struggled with basic knowledge of where he should be on the field in relation to the defender whether it is Cover 1 or Cover 0 coverage. That is not going to fly in the NFL.

He might have ran a good 40, but he has no recovery speed -- just go and watch the games I mentioned and you will see that. He will never succeed as a press-man corner because he doesn't have a short memory and the way he has played football is likely to never change. His traits are a recipe for disaster on the press. He is a risk-taker who might get you a pick six in a game, but he will blow his basic coverage assignments when trying to go for the big play that will result in points on the board for the other team.

He needs to go zone or he is gonna blow it and be out of the league quickly. I still think he would make a great FS because of his skill-set. He does not have the mentality to be a successful NFL corner and I don't know if he will ever get to the point where he plays the game fundamentally sound. Those are all huge concerns for me. Anyone who takes him in Round 1 better be making him a FS or they are playing with fire.

Once again, my opinion.

Last edited by Requiem; 03-06-2013 at 06:37 AM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #685
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Dallas Thomas is GREAT VALUE at your selection, Ro. One of the guys on my short list for Cincy. Doin' work!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #686
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Dallas Thomas is GREAT VALUE at your selection, Ro. One of the guys on my short list for Cincy. Doin' work!
With Fluker and Thomas I figure that Oline is shored up pretty well on both sides.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #687
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Sam Bradford should never get injured again. Didn't you take a QB though?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #688
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Sam Bradford should never get injured again. Didn't you take a QB though?
Nope.

DJ Fluker, RT
Jamar Taylor, FS
Robert Woods, WR
Dallas Thomas, LG
Old 03-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #689
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Pretty good haul. Can't wait to pick in the third. Who wants to trade down with me so I can work some draft magic?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #690
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

It's funny that the Rams ended up taking Dallas. There was a few sites that compared him to Rodger Saffold.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #691
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Pretty good haul. Can't wait to pick in the third. Who wants to trade down with me so I can work some draft magic?
I'm currently trying to get another pick in the 3rd
Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #692
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I guess I'm looking at a 12 hour wait before I draft.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #693
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
With Fluker and Thomas I figure that Oline is shored up pretty well on both sides.
I almost traded up into the late 2nd to take Dallas. Great pick
Old 03-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #694
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Patton is a great pick for the Jaguars.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #695
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quinton Patton, top 50 prospect. Lots of buzz around him after Senior Bowl week.

Last edited by pricejj; 03-06-2013 at 08:19 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #696
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

He is Top 45 if you think he is better than all the other receivers already taken in this draft. I think he will go pretty darn high.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #697
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Logan Ryan in the third round is also a fantastic pick. Lions just got away with grand theft.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #698
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Patton was the guy I was balancing against Thomas, but I don't think the Rams have lost faith at all in Quick. I've read some local reports that say Fisher has plenty of faith in Brian Quick and wants to bring him along slowly. After all, he did come out of Appalachian State. I imagine the transition for him is tougher than somebody coming out of a bigger program. He's 6'4" and ran a 4.45 forty so I don't think the Rams are panicking for a number one receiver yet. Fisher is a patient coach.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #699
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

at this point can we just say the draft is deeeep top 90 picks? not everybody is "stealing" a guy anymore.

Lots of talent this year 2-3 rounds
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #700
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Im open to moving down from 69.

PM offers if interested.

Display Modes Rate This Thread