The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #101
Bmore Manning

I'm wondering if one of my favorite late round prospects Cooper Taylor could play MLB..?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #102
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"Alec Ogletee charged with DUI

Former Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree, a likely first-round pick in the 2013 draft and one of the top prospects at inside linebacker, was arrested recently for DUI.

It’s not the first red flag on Ogletree’s record. During the 2012 college football season, Ogletree was suspended four games by the Bulldogs after a positive drug test."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rged-with-dui/
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #103
schaaf

You son of a b****
Old 02-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #104
pricejj
jungle

Klis -

"The Broncos won't be looking for a middle linebacker, even though Brooking is a free agent and Joe Mays is coming off a season-ending injury. The plan is for Nate Irving and Steve Johnson to compete for the starting job at that position, with Irving having the edge because of experience. Irving was Denver's third-round draft pick in 2011 and was hurt as much as any player by the NFL lockout that year, but he flashed ability in 2012. Johnson was an undrafted rookie last season."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...eiler-will-pay

Rack 'em and stack 'em.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #105
schaaf

That would be perfect if one of these two have shown enough to make the coaches believe theyre the future
Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #106
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

He's still better than Mays of course King Tut's mummy is as well it trips up more RB's.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #107
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Klis -

"The Broncos won't be looking for a middle linebacker, even though Brooking is a free agent and Joe Mays is coming off a season-ending injury. The plan is for Nate Irving and Steve Johnson to compete for the starting job at that position, with Irving having the edge because of experience. Irving was Denver's third-round draft pick in 2011 and was hurt as much as any player by the NFL lockout that year, but he flashed ability in 2012. Johnson was an undrafted rookie last season."

Rack 'em and stack 'em.
Smokescreen!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #108
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I don't like Miller coming off the field so much. I think with Von and Woodyard, MLB is a two-down spot here, meaning I'm less concerned than I was last year.

That said, Teo could fall to us ... couldn't say no to that.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #109
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Smokescreen!!!
Inclined to believe this, especially when you consider that Klis will write whatever they tell him to write.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #110
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I don't like Miller coming off the field so much. I think with Von and Woodyard, MLB is a two-down spot here, meaning I'm less concerned than I was last year.

That said, Teo could fall to us ... couldn't say no to that.
How so?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #111
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

How. That how.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #112
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Plus like I said, I don't like Miller coming off the field so much, doesn't make sense to me. Unless it's physical, is it? DJ and a hopefully developing Irving seems pretty good, I'm thinking a RB or that North Carolina guard in Round 1.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #113
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

How. That how.
Quote:
Plus like I said, I don't like Miller coming off the field so much, doesn't make sense to me. Unless it's physical, is it? DJ and a hopefully developing Irving seems pretty good, I'm thinking a RB or that North Carolina guard in Round 1.
So you think in the nickel Miller is a coverage LB?

When was the last time you caught a Bronco game?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #114
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Really cooled on Te'o I hope he isn't a Bronco.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #115
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Klis -

Rack 'em and stack 'em.
hard to know if this is bs or not. The Broncos said last year they were ok with their DTs for the most part and they didn't really do anything of note in FA to address this. Then they drafted Wolfe in the 2nd round.

My gut instinct tells me the Broncos will take the BPA at their #28 pick and that could be a DT, an ILB, a RB, an offensive line, or a CB or Safety. All I can say with confidence is that it probably won't be a QB.

But with the depth at DT, I'm thinking they will go with DT. It's really hard to say. I hope the draft Minter in the first and a DT in the second.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #116
Bmore Manning

I really like the later round MLB prospects.. I think Ogaltree is best suited for OLB, and Minter in a 3-4. Brown could certainly play MLB or OLB, but I'm not sure he will be the best player available at #28. I really only think Te'o is a first round MLB, and that's difficult to say because I like Brown alot..
Old 02-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #117
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
So you think in the nickel Miller is a coverage LB? When was the last time you caught a Bronco game?
Where to begin? First, I said nothing like that. Miller in coverage on passing downs? That notion (if it even qualifies as a notion) was yours alone. No, Woodyard is nails in coverage, in fact they're really a prototypical SLB-WLB pair, I'd like to see both of them on the field for as many downs as they can manage. I don't like to see either one pulled.

Now, slow down ... before you respond, ask yourself: Do you really want to have another Von Miller debate with me? Before answering, think back, try to remember how the last one turned out ... opening night 2011? MNF v Raiders? Allow me to refresh your recollection: An hour or two before kickoff, Von's first game in the league. I'm snacking away, can't wait for Opening Night of the VON-DOOM SACK-TACULAR. I throw on my rose-colored glasses and exclaim "Von will lead the league in sacks this year!"

"You're insanely insane!" you bellowed as you rallied the nay-sayers. In a few short moments I was being pressed from all sides, "how many sacks will he get Buff?" "Yeah Buff, how many?" I paused for a moment, considered all the factors, and predicted "Realistically, 12 sacks."

That sent you right through the roof, "WHAAT?! "You call 12 sacks realistic?!" Of course it was realistic. Or more accurately, it was CORRECT rounded to the nearest whole integer. Should point out mine wasn't the only well-reasoned forecast in that thread. My gear-jammin' good buddy's Spidey-sense prompted him to predict, "two seasons from now, people could be talking about Von Miller as the best defensive player in the NFL."

But by this time you were too far gone to appreciate any of that. Not sure what got you started that day, honestly I don't think it was me. You are a man of the cloth, maybe you were mad at the camel jockeys, maybe it's the Hebes, Northern Ireland, it's none of my business. I just wanted to get back to my popcorn.

No such luck ... you eagerly pounced on an off-hand comment I had made, wondering how Miller's body would hold up to the pounding of a long season, said he's not a "huge guy." At that moment your every single-minded obsessively-fueled goal became discrediting my notion (and it barely qualified as a notion) that Von Miller was on the small side for his position. You feverishly typed out every.single.SLB.in.the.league.and.his.weight (conveniently omitting the larger SLBs on 3-4 teams, something I hadn't done), then compared Von to your list and PRESTO! Von was an above-average size at his position! "I TOLD YOU BUFF!"

Only problem was (well, not the only problem, but the biggest of several problems) was you used the wrong weight for Miller. You used a 245 figure from who knows where. The Denver Broncos officially list Von Miller at 237. So then, of the 16 SLBs on your list, there were just 6 lighter than Miller ... and 4 of them were just one to three pounds lighter. Add in the 3-4 SLBs I never intended to omit, and next gust of wind might carry poor Vonnie off! He's among the 7 or 8 lightest starting SLBs in the league.

So long story short, that's why you should maybe think before joining another Von Miller debate with me.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #118
Bmore Manning

Quote:

How. That how.
That was the perception I had too. I think the FO knew Mays was a 2 down MLB, same thing with Brooking, though he played many snaps in Nickel. But good QBs will recognize the two down thumper and exploit that with the quick pass.

So I agree that because of our Nickel use a MLB isn't a huge priority, but that could also be because a true 4-3 three down MLB are few and far between. That's the only reason to let Irving/Johnson compete. It's either a smoke screen or the honest truth that we won't search for a MLB. But if a Te'o was there at 28 or Brown in the second, how could you not take one and upgrade the position..?
Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #119
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Doesn't Miller usually play LDE in nickle? How would getting another LB affect Miller or Woodyard being on the field in nickle?
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #120
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Klis -

Rack 'em and stack 'em.
I wasn't quite sure we would draft MLB early, but now I am pretty certain it will be MLB and DT in rounds 1 and 2.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #121
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
That was the perception I had too. I think the FO knew Mays was a 2 down MLB, same thing with Brooking, though he played many snaps in Nickel. But good QBs will recognize the two down thumper and exploit that with the quick pass.

So I agree that because of our Nickel use a MLB isn't a huge priority, but that could also be because a true 4-3 three down MLB are few and far between. That's the only reason to let Irving/Johnson compete. It's either a smoke screen or the honest truth that we won't search for a MLB. But if a Te'o was there at 28 or Brown in the second, how could you not take one and upgrade the position..?
Can't say no to Te'o at 28, unless somebody else falls.

I think you're right, good QBs should recognize a 2-down thumper and exploit him on passing downs. But you also mentioned how Brooking took lots of nickel snaps, and we had the #3 defense in football.

I think there's more to the whole picture. Guys who really know football intricacies, Rev SoCal Khan eddie mac Drek, whomever ... I get the suspicion there's too much certainty there. All kidding aside from the post above, but I keep remembering a very long story I read waiting at O'Hare couple summers ago. The thesis, and numerous coordinators and coaches chimed in agreement, is the #1 thing they do is deception, trying to disguise, "trick" their opponent to a degree. They said nearly every play includes elements of it, and they're preoccupied with it during the game. I think this aspect of the game is underappreciated.

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 02-17-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #122
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by misturanderson View Post
Doesn't Miller usually play LDE in nickle? How would getting another LB affect Miller or Woodyard being on the field in nickle?
That's correct, it would mean less LBs on the field and usually more DBs. It's a 4-2 alignment or 3-3. When we see in those sub packages it de emphasizes MLB and puts 2 coverage LBs on the field.. Since we have Woodyard and Trevethan that normally do that. It doesn't mean we could use a MLB for that. But it takes away the dire need for a three down MLB.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #123
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I wasn't quite sure we would draft MLB early, but now I am pretty certain it will be MLB and DT in rounds 1 and 2.
That would mean smoke screen. And when Elway was speaking about Te'o I thought, they really want him and just want to put the perception out there that this guy has issues a front office would be silly to draft him.

It makes sense your theory.. The prospects we looked at were third round and back.. Cyprien/Thomas better 3rd round value.. Winter G 4th.. Gooden OLB 5th... But come combine and draft day all bets are off..
Old 02-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #124
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Inclined to believe this, especially when you consider that Klis will write whatever they tell him to write.
I really have no opinion one way or the other. It may be a smokescreen or it may be true. I'm just hoping they aren't making the same judgment error with Irving and/or Johnson that they made with Mays.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #125
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Where to begin? First, I said nothing like that. Miller in coverage on passing downs? That notion (if it even qualifies as a notion) was yours alone. No, Woodyard is nails in coverage, in fact they're really a prototypical SLB-WLB pair, I'd like to see both of them on the field for as many downs as they can manage. I don't like to see either one pulled.
I cant fathom someone watching football as long as you have and being this ignorant of it.

BECAUSE VON RUSHES THE PASSER is why we need another coverage linebacker in the nickel, you annoying ****ing twit.