The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Default N Korea detonates nuclear device.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91B04820130212

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned North Korea's test, saying it was a "clear and grave violation" of U.N. Security Council resolutions.

South Korea said the size of the seismic activity indicated a nuclear explosion slightly larger than the North's two previous tests at 6-7 kilotons, although that is still relatively small. The Hiroshima bomb was around 20 kilotons.

The U.S. Geological Survey said that a seismic event measuring 5.1 magnitude had occurred on Tuesday, with North Korea later confirming the nuclear test.

"It was confirmed that the nuclear test that was carried out at a high level in a safe and perfect manner using a miniaturized and lighter nuclear device with greater explosive force than previously did not pose any negative impact on the surrounding ecological environment," KCNA said.

The test prompted the U.N. Security Council to call for an emergency meeting later on Tuesday and came as China celebrated the lunar new year, potentially increasing embarrassment for Beijing, the North's sole major economic and diplomatic ally.

Are we worried about this yet? They have a missile that went far enough to hit the USA and they have nuclear weapons. Eventually they put it on a warhead but i read that is actually pretty hard to do. So they could still be 3-5-10 years away who knows? If they did have a nuclear missile are they crazy enough to launch it? How far should Obama or a future US president be willing to go to stop them?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

China's ongoing support of North Korea illustrates that they continue to be the number one enemy of a free and secure world. Hang with the outlaws and you are an outlaw.

Last edited by Rohirrim; 02-12-2013 at 11:26 AM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

I'm more concerned about the Iran-Syria-NK alliance. Given NKs nukes with Iranian missiles and Syrian bio/chem weapons and Israel proximity, and their collaborative finessing on the world stage and we are in for "some interesting times".
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Has anyone blamed this on Obama yet?
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

The interesting thing to watch here will be China's response and if they support any meaningful sanctions.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
Has anyone blamed this on Obama yet?
It's only his fault if he does nothing about it these next 4 yrs. Unfortunatley for Obama, and maybe the world, he is the one this stuff is timing out on. We don't have 5 yrs to wait before iran has a bomb. They will have it in the next couple yrs. We don't have time to wait on N Korea anymore they have the missile and the nuclear device. They only lack a smaller warhead to put on a missile. That could only take a few more years.

If Obama does nothing, and Iran tests a nuclear device, then yes it becomes a huge blunder for him.

His job now is to make a deal with China to deal with N Korea. Iran he will have to bomb.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
The interesting thing to watch here will be China's response and if they support any meaningful sanctions.
N Korea already so poor how do sanctions work? Iran we can still stop, N Korea we may have to deal with China and just try and contain them. I just can't see the Korean war part duex being anything our country has the stomach for right now. It's really not an option to use the military on N Korea. Iran though we can still bomb them back into the stone age and ruin all their nuclear facilities.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
It's only his fault if he does nothing about it these next 4 yrs. Unfortunatley for Obama, and maybe the world, he is the one this stuff is timing out on. We don't have 5 yrs to wait before iran has a bomb. They will have it in the next couple yrs. We don't have time to wait on N Korea anymore they have the missile and the nuclear device. They only lack a smaller warhead to put on a missile. That could only take a few more years.

If Obama does nothing, and Iran tests a nuclear device, then yes it becomes a huge blunder for him.

His job now is to make a deal with China to deal with N Korea. Iran he will have to bomb.
What possible deal with China could he make that he wouldn't be vilified for? I don't disagree with with you if we can put partisanship aside, but he will get a$$ raped by the right for political purposes with any deal.

China on its own warned N. Korea and voted to condemn the action. N. Korea is poor but still receives meaningful aid from China so what I am interested to see if China will stand behind their rhetoric and do something that matters.

Right now since Korea craves legitimacy the best thing Obama can do in the short term and publicly is not say anything at all.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
What possible deal with China could he make that he wouldn't be vilified for? I don't disagree with with you if we can put partisanship aside, but he will get a$$ raped by the right for political purposes with any deal.

China on its own warned N. Korea and voted to condemn the action. N. Korea is poor but still receives meaningful aid from China so what I am interested to see if China will stand behind their rhetoric and do something that matters.

Right now since Korea craves legitimacy the best thing Obama can do in the short term and publicly is not say anything at all.
We may have to back them for some oil rights around those disputed islands. We tell China we will back you getting some of what you want in exchage for helping us with N Korea. I don't know though really ghwk its a very bad situation and it will take the biggest countries in the world working together to solve N Korea.

Iran I don't see being as big of a threat because we can still stop them from getting nukes. I agree though that this would be a good issue to shelve the partisan bickering on.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
I'm more concerned about the Iran-Syria-NK alliance. Given NKs nukes with Iranian missiles and Syrian bio/chem weapons and Israel proximity, and their collaborative finessing on the world stage and we are in for "some interesting times".
What alliance?

First I've heard of it ---
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
We may have to back them for some oil rights around those disputed islands. We tell China we will back you getting some of what you want in exchage for helping us with N Korea. I don't know though really ghwk its a very bad situation and it will take the biggest countries in the world working together to solve N Korea.

Iran I don't see being as big of a threat because we can still stop them from getting nukes. I agree though that this would be a good issue to shelve the partisan bickering on.
Are you talkking the Senkaku Islands that China is in dispute over with Japan?
We are an ally of Japan and a trading parner with China, I don't see how we can get in the middle of that without backstabbing Japan. Plus if we do intervene then China has us over a barrel to keep giving more so that they will do more with N Korea. It's the same stall tactic that Iran is using while everyone in the right mind knows they are working on nukes.

I really don't see any way out of this without a lot of people dying if the goal is to prevent these countries from getting a delivery system for their weapon. I'm no expert on either of these countries but I do wonder that if you ever called N. Korea's bluff that they would back down if you gave them a way out to save face. Remember they have Unicorns for crying out loud.

If the threat is having no country at all after a huge bombing I sort of think that they will do ANYTHING but start a war they will lose. We never have to put a boot on the ground in this case, but crap the casualties would just be enormous if they didn't take some sort of deal.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

GHWK its alot more then just the Senkaku actually. They have disputes with japan, china, vietnam, philipines and Korea. Obviously they don't get it all. In reality Japan not strong enough to protect the islands themselves and either are any of the other countries.

China getting some of what they want is a foregone conclusion IMO based on their superior military firepower and economic might.

Maybe though China can be persuaded without that just because a N Korean govt stirring up the pot not good for business.

i agree a war with n korea would leave S korea in ruin and kill a ton of people. It's almost not an opition unless they actually attacked or really went crazy trying to send nuclear missiles to other countries.

Iran though i think Obama has to bomb within the next 4 yrs. Or he has to make some huge deal where they give up nuclear ambitions like Libya did. Although the fact obama turned back on Gaddaffi after he did that will not lend Iran to think its a smart deal. My biggest problem with Obama is he seems to just have the idea you can let whatever happen happen. Liberals seem to love that approach but I think its dangerous.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

The US is firmly behind Japan and the Philippines -- and against China in this dispute -- which is about oil.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
The US is firmly behind Japan and the Philippines -- and against China in this dispute -- which is about oil.
But you agree some carrot will have to be extended to China. Hell China may be happy with just a promise to only print so much money a year lol. I agree though we haven't shown any hint of wavering from our support of Japan and Philippines on those islands.

And obviously its all about the natural resources of gas and oil. Thats no secret.