The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #351
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
This show sucks
I watched like half of season 1 and actually thought it was interesting

But did not watch after that until about a couple weeks ago
Watched the last few episodes and holy crap I did not know someone could make a zombie apocalypse so boring

Obviously I have missed several episodes but from what I have seen I do not quite see the hype
I think you have hit the nail on the head actually. Take a step back and the show sort of blows at this point. It's just cliche.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #352
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

My kids can't get enough of this series. I've watched maybe a dozen episodes and honestly, it's not really about zombies any more. It's a television study of what happens when the veil of civilized behaviour is torn away.

The kids enjoy, and fear the zombies. I like the study of human behaviour. There's a lot of truth in this series.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #353
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Totally agree that it's because everyone's interested in zombies right now... from Resident Evil to 28 Days later to Shaun of the Dead, people seem to be fascinated by zombies. It helps popularity-wise that there are websites and online video games and the website to "Dead Yourself" so that people can feel like they're a part of the show.

You're right that a lot of the scenes in the show simply don't make any sense (like the scene you described... going off after her husband without any thought whatsoever about where her son was, who was in charge of watching him, or if he was safe... and winding up nearly killed herself). The storyline that I was very weary of... almost impatient with... was Rick's nutty "seeing Lori's ghost" stuff. Guess they kinda resolved that in the finale, but frankly, it sucked. I mean, when the group needed him most, he was wandering off all by himself chasing her ghost. Dumb and lame.
Zombie movies have always had good to great interest,from dawn of the dead(1st version) to resident evil. Horror flicks,especially zombie flicks have a built in following. There's no TV series out there that compares to it. They're trying with shows like revolution &defiance but they're not even close.
The walking dead wouldn't have lasted past the second season if every episode was just running & killing one zombie after another. That would've gotten old & cliche.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #354
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Zombie movies have always had good to great interest,from dawn of the dead(1st version) to resident evil. Horror flicks,especially zombie flicks have a built in following. There's no TV series out there that compares to it. They're trying with shows like revolution &defiance but they're not even close.
The walking dead wouldn't have lasted past the second season if every episode was just running & killing one zombie after another. That would've gotten old & cliche.
True... they have to do some "adjusting to the new reality of life" focusing on character development. But those in charge of directing the storyline also have to avoid making it seem like "which character is going to freak out and go nuts this week"? Struggling with ethics questions/making tough decisions for the group is one thing; but for the group's leader/protector to be leaving the group (including his young son and newborn daughter) to fend for themselves while he goes randomly meandering off into zombie-infested fields and forests chasing a ghost just isn't reasonable or rational and it makes the viewer question Rick's mental/emotional state which hurts his credibility as the group leader. The group in general is as strong or as weak as its leader; an emotionally/mentally weak leader who's going nuts and chasing ghosts would get them killed; he would not have the correct focus on "what needs to be done" to keep them alive while he was putting his delusions ahead of everything else.

It's also going to be challenging because with each human survivor they kill off, the "personal interactions" storyline possibilities become more limited... and bringing in new characters is tricky because of the obvious distrust they'd have of any other human survivors, with the risks of exposing the women and children in the group to possible danger from "outsiders". There are a lot of possibilities with the refugees from the Governor's town... but considering that everyone who was even possibly capable of carrying a gun had been conscripted into the Governor's army, the remaining people from the town will be liabilities, not assets. And having become used to having amenities in the town, they're likely to be whiny with having to suffer hardships. "Whiny + unable to assist in defending the prison" is going to = "an annoying drain on the group's limited resources". They did need to find a way to bring in new human characters to keep the show interesting though.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #355
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
True... they have to do some "adjusting to the new reality of life" focusing on character development. But those in charge of directing the storyline also have to avoid making it seem like "which character is going to freak out and go nuts this week"? Struggling with ethics questions/making tough decisions for the group is one thing; but for the group's leader/protector to be leaving the group (including his young son and newborn daughter) to fend for themselves while he goes randomly meandering off into zombie-infested fields and forests chasing a ghost just isn't reasonable or rational and it makes the viewer question Rick's mental/emotional state which hurts his credibility as the group leader. The group in general is as strong or as weak as its leader; an emotionally/mentally weak leader who's going nuts and chasing ghosts would get them killed; he would not have the correct focus on "what needs to be done" to keep them alive while he was putting his delusions ahead of everything else.

It's also going to be challenging because with each human survivor they kill off, the "personal interactions" storyline possibilities become more limited... and bringing in new characters is tricky because of the obvious distrust they'd have of any other human survivors, with the risks of exposing the women and children in the group to possible danger from "outsiders". There are a lot of possibilities with the refugees from the Governor's town... but considering that everyone who was even possibly capable of carrying a gun had been conscripted into the Governor's army, the remaining people from the town will be liabilities, not assets. And having become used to having amenities in the town, they're likely to be whiny with having to suffer hardships. "Whiny + unable to assist in defending the prison" is going to = "an annoying drain on the group's limited resources". They did need to find a way to bring in new human characters to keep the show interesting though.
Addressing your issue with rick,you seem to be upset that rick isn't being portrayed in the typical fashion. Rick would be a pretty boring character if he was just like every other TV hero/leader usually portrayed on TV or in movies,perfect,never flinching. That would be Cliche. I find it refreshing that he's being portrayed as a great but flawed leader. Everything isn't black or white, which is a strong positive for the show. Like the decision on whether to turn mishon over to the gov.,to the hiker they drove by and ignored. Character development IMO, has been a driving force in the shows success. I'll admit season 2 dragged on a little but
Overall gave the show a stronger foundation in fans getting to know the characters.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #356
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Addressing your issue with rick,you seem to be upset that rick isn't being portrayed in the typical fashion. Rick would be a pretty boring character if he was just like every other TV hero/leader usually portrayed on TV or in movies,perfect,never flinching. That would be Cliche. I find it refreshing that he's being portrayed as a great but flawed leader. Everything isn't black or white, which is a strong positive for the show. Like the decision on whether to turn mishon over to the gov.,to the hiker they drove by and ignored. Character development IMO, has been a driving force in the shows success. I'll admit season 2 dragged on a little but
Overall gave the show a stronger foundation in fans getting to know the characters.
I'm not "upset"... just didn't think it was a good storyline to turn the leader/protector of the group into a (temporarily) self-absorbed nutjob who was absent instead of doing the things that the rest of the group were counting on him to do. I'm not alone in finding that particular "segue" to be incredibly lame and annoying. "Flawed" is something anyone in that situation would be... but "insane" is something else entirely and his (scripted) behavior did cross the line into "unhinged".
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:50 AM   #357
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories

This one's for Pat!

Anyone still watching this? What do you think they have in store for the season finale next week?
DenverBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:09 AM   #358
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound View Post
Anyone still watching this? What do you think they have in store for the season finale next week?
Yeah,but have Recorded the whole season, I'll watch it in a marathon this weekend.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #359
Navy Broncos Fan
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I still watch it weekly. Cannot wait for next week. Not sure what Terminus has in store, but it can't be good. I never read the comics but have heard tales of a possible group of cannibals.
Navy Broncos Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #360
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

shut up Navy! Jeeeez man give It away why don't ya....

Anyways, retarded show, just stupid. But I can't stop watching it every week now that I'm into it. If you haven't started it yet, don't do it.
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #361
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST SHOW ON TV IN A LONG TIME!
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #362
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Terminus is:

rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #363
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Yeah, it's an idiotic show and the writers assume the audience is idiots... but I also keep watching for some reason. They do have good episodes occasionally... the show is nothing if not inconsistent. Both in quality and with the way the logic of the fictional premise is applied in the story (sometimes gunfire attracts surrounding walkers... sometimes it doesn't.... sometimes the characters think about that... sometimes they don't... pretty much the rule is only used when it is convenient for the plot and it's ignored when it isn't).
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #364
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontius Pirate View Post
DUDE, the Walking Dead this season has been a disappointment. I mean, any season will be better than season 2 ("let's just sit around in this ranch and talk about our feelings for 8 episodes").

My major gripe is that they have basically neutered any fear that the zombies instilled in you. Gone are the days when the zombies can jump out at any corner, the survivors are constantly on the run, and being trapped is a constant fear.

Now, they are holed up in a prison, with barbed wire and guard towers and machine guns. There is no real threat any more from the zombies. Yeah, the Governor is a bad dude. But enough already. Where is the plot line about finding a cure? Where is the plot line about the zombie threat increasing?

Something needs to change so that the zombies go back to being scary and there are fewer encounters with "new" human characters. Example ideas:

-Zombies have suddenly become harder to kill. Eg. blows to the head don't put them down
-Some zombies are showing higher level cognition i.e. can climb fences, break car windows, use makeshift weapons, etc.
-Some zombies are starting to hunt more in packs....maybe there are zombie leaders
-Some zombies are SUPER fast.
-Animal zombies....zombie bears and gorillas
-Rick's son becomes a zombie and he has to kill it
One of my favorite horror movies, TO THIS DAY, is the original "Night of the Living Dead". That's a good example of a credible threat, from zombies. I don't know if this series comes close to that kind of feeling, or not. I stopped watching it very early on...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #365
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
Terminus is:

. Agreed, but how? Poison? Gang of thugs like the ones that Daryl is hanging with now. Or just over run when a hoard of walkers come by. Or my favorite would be that Mary is Mary Yar. The great great great great great grandmother of Tasha Yar.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #366
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
One of my favorite horror movies, TO THIS DAY, is the original "Night of the Living Dead". That's a good example of a credible threat, from zombies. I don't know if this series comes close to that kind of feeling, or not. I stopped watching it very early on...
The show really isn't a horror show. More of a Sci-Fi/morality play than anything.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #367
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
. Agreed, but how? Poison? Gang of thugs like the ones that Daryl is hanging with now. Or just over run when a hoard of walkers come by. Or my favorite would be that Mary is Mary Yar. The great great great great great grandmother of Tasha Yar.
I think it could be a multitude of things. In terms of demand the biggest commodities would be: Sex, food, sport, entertainment, protection, and maybe reproduction.

Based upon the qualities of each in the group I'm assuming they could be used for different things. Maybe Glenn for sporting/entertainment for death pit of zombies, Maggie for sex/repro, Tyrese for protection, the baby for food (think veal), the list goes on and on.

The other route is scientific experimentation with zombies to create a cure/hybrid route. Think Woodbury miles beyond combined with Res Evil.

I would be interested for a third unique approach yet to be determined.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #368
Nickstixx
Mile High til I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Terminus is a village of cannibals... at least that is what I was hearing.
Nickstixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #369
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I have to rewatch last nights episode I was playing a Sit-and-go tourney on my phone and got locked into a epic come from behind chip battle and all I remember is the chick at the end.

I did win the table tourney, I was down to 880 chips and the other player had 3k. I waited for good cards and threw away trash until I was able to be the table bully and eventually win. In the past I would have got bored and thrown all in to end it but I have been taking my game to the next level recently and have been coming from behind more often. I forgot how much I enjoyed playing and now have something to do with my smart phone.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #370
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I have to rewatch last nights episode I was playing a Sit-and-go tourney on my phone and got locked into a epic come from behind chip battle and all I remember is the chick at the end.

I did win the table tourney, I was down to 880 chips and the other player had 3k. I waited for good cards and threw away trash until I was able to be the table bully and eventually win. In the past I would have got bored and thrown all in to end it but I have been taking my game to the next level recently and have been coming from behind more often. I forgot how much I enjoyed playing and now have something to do with my smart phone.
Playing online for cash?
91BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #371
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Did anyone find it ridiclous when Beth tried liquot for the first time and it was moonshine and all she did was say it was gross?
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #372
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
Did anyone find it ridiclous when Beth tried liquot for the first time and it was moonshine and all she did was say it was gross?
Yep...and moonshine is an instant panty remover
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #373
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
Yep...and moonshine is an instant panty remover
Even for people who drink a lot moonshine can be rough.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #374
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
Par for the course with this show. The frustrating thing is there's moments that are pretty inspired, like the juicy ethical paradox Carol faced in the previous episode. But those happen maybe once or twice a season... the rest is filled with an almost anti-Darwinist "survival of the stupidest" take. Like how police academy dropout Tara survived a year plus of the apocalypse holed up in an apartment with her family, apparently never once trying a headshot on the zombies roving around the building even though they kept getting up and trying to eat her.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #375
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Watching True Detective and then watching this is like reading the Art of War before switching to a Berenstain Bears book.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote