The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #326
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
I don't disagree that there has to be more than just zombies but remember when the show first started and the gang just trying to evade zombies was exciting? That doesn't exist any more. You could get rid of the zombies and it wouldn't even matter at this point. It is simply an end of the world Lord of the Flies show now.

The reason I hate the Governor is because his character should have died when Andrea lured him into the closet full of zombies only so he could capture her later outside the prison. That and the storyline just got stale for that many episodes.
One of the things I didn't like was when the gov went Rambo on his own army and no one shot back.
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #327
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
They talk about the just-aired episode (it's scheduled right after "The Walking Dead") with a few guests... and take questions from the live audience and also online from viewers. Then there's the "In Memoriam" segment where they show clips of every death... zombie or the living... that happened that week. Oh, and they choose a "Fan of the Week" that used the website to "Dead Yourself" (upload a photo and see what they'd look like as a zombie).

It's basically the same thing we're doing here; discussing the show and what we liked or didn't like about it.

Usually they have at least one of the actors and they provide a glimpse of what it's like filming the show... they have to be careful not to give any "spoilers". Sunday evening they had the actors who play Tyreece and Daryl.
I think the reason I keep watching the Walking Dead is because i desperately need to know what people see in it. I think its terribly written television that relies on overused themes and shock value. The characters are terrible, their decisions often implausible, and some of the writing has actually been insulting to the viewer (i always bring up Lori's decision to go into town (in s2, when she gets in the car wreck) to get Rick as the perfect example of this.

i know 12 million people watched the finale last Sunday, i just dont get the appeal. And you can explain it to me and i still won't get it
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #328
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

They need to dead island this biatch up. Just say the virus mutated and now we can see some runners(infected).
Old 04-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #329
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I think the reason I keep watching the Walking Dead is because i desperately need to know what people see in it. I think its terribly written television that relies on overused themes and shock value. The characters are terrible, their decisions often implausible, and some of the writing has actually been insulting to the viewer (i always bring up Lori's decision to go into town (in s2, when she gets in the car wreck) to get Rick as the perfect example of this.

i know 12 million people watched the finale last Sunday, i just dont get the appeal. And you can explain it to me and i still won't get it
Vampires use to be popular but right now Zombies are popular ones and its the only zombie tv series out there. Plus add in the survival craze that is going around. Im pretty sure some one could make a better zombie series.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #330
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncolife View Post
Vampires use to be popular but right now Zombies are popular ones and its the only zombie tv series out there. Plus add in the survival craze that is going around. Im pretty sure some one could make a better zombie series.
It is also based on a comic book so it has that built in audience even though they have broken off from the comic book.

I do think they could make a much better zombie series. The British make the best zombie movies, they would probably make a great series also.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #331
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:

Totally agree that it's because everyone's interested in zombies right now... from Resident Evil to 28 Days later to Shaun of the Dead, people seem to be fascinated by zombies. It helps popularity-wise that there are websites and online video games and the website to "Dead Yourself" so that people can feel like they're a part of the show.

You're right that a lot of the scenes in the show simply don't make any sense (like the scene you described... going off after her husband without any thought whatsoever about where her son was, who was in charge of watching him, or if he was safe... and winding up nearly killed herself). The storyline that I was very weary of... almost impatient with... was Rick's nutty "seeing Lori's ghost" stuff. Guess they kinda resolved that in the finale, but frankly, it sucked. I mean, when the group needed him most, he was wandering off all by himself chasing her ghost. Dumb and lame.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #332
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

DUDE, the Walking Dead this season has been a disappointment. I mean, any season will be better than season 2 ("let's just sit around in this ranch and talk about our feelings for 8 episodes").

My major gripe is that they have basically neutered any fear that the zombies instilled in you. Gone are the days when the zombies can jump out at any corner, the survivors are constantly on the run, and being trapped is a constant fear.

Now, they are holed up in a prison, with barbed wire and guard towers and machine guns. There is no real threat any more from the zombies. Yeah, the Governor is a bad dude. But enough already. Where is the plot line about finding a cure? Where is the plot line about the zombie threat increasing?

Something needs to change so that the zombies go back to being scary and there are fewer encounters with "new" human characters. Example ideas:

-Zombies have suddenly become harder to kill. Eg. blows to the head don't put them down
-Some zombies are showing higher level cognition i.e. can climb fences, break car windows, use makeshift weapons, etc.
-Some zombies are starting to hunt more in packs....maybe there are zombie leaders
-Some zombies are SUPER fast.
-Animal zombies....zombie bears and gorillas
-Rick's son becomes a zombie and he has to kill it
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #333
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontius Pirate View Post
DUDE, the Walking Dead this season has been a disappointment. I mean, any season will be better than season 2 ("let's just sit around in this ranch and talk about our feelings for 8 episodes").

My major gripe is that they have basically neutered any fear that the zombies instilled in you. Gone are the days when the zombies can jump out at any corner, the survivors are constantly on the run, and being trapped is a constant fear.

Now, they are holed up in a prison, with barbed wire and guard towers and machine guns. There is no real threat any more from the zombies. Yeah, the Governor is a bad dude. But enough already. Where is the plot line about finding a cure? Where is the plot line about the zombie threat increasing?

Something needs to change so that the zombies go back to being scary and there are fewer encounters with "new" human characters. Example ideas:

-Zombies have suddenly become harder to kill. Eg. blows to the head don't put them down
-Some zombies are showing higher level cognition i.e. can climb fences, break car windows, use makeshift weapons, etc.
-Some zombies are starting to hunt more in packs....maybe there are zombie leaders

I am not entirely sure if you can have "fast" zombies when you have seen nothing but the traditional zombie since the show started. Its lazy story telling to add that in. I think the show is trying to say that zombies are less scary then "normal" people. The governor is a prime example. People in his care were gunned down by him. The guards with him could have stopped him, the one who tried was shot in the head. That is scarier to me then a walking corpse. The show is demonstrating that its not just the zombies who lost their humanity.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #334
Bacchus

Quote:
An interesting question was brought up on "The Talking Dead" after the season finale.... with bringing in the elderly, infirm people... what if one unexpectedly dies in their sleep? Then there's a new zombie inside the cell block. Do they lock each person inside their individual cells at night? Wouldn't they have to? Even the baby... what if she had SIDS or something?

Still, the people needed someone to help them... they had grown so dependent on the Governor and have no idea how to survive outside of the town... they would have been sitting ducks for the zombies or for any (unscrupulous) living people who wandered in. Abandoning them would have been leaving them to certain death... of course Rick already did that once when he refused to pick up the guy with the backpack. But that was only one guy and he was young and healthy enough to be viewed as a possible threat.
Blue when the Zombies over run the prison it is always nice to have a few elderly people around to ensure your getaway.

My Dad used to say if a bear attacks us I don't have to outrun the bear all I have to do is outrun you.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #335
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontius Pirate View Post

That could all change with 10,000 zombies wondering in from Atlanta and a hole in the fence. Anything can happen and I am sure it will.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #336
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Blue when the Zombies over run the prison it is always nice to have a few elderly people around to ensure your getaway.

My Dad used to say if a bear attacks us I don't have to outrun the bear all I have to do is outrun you.
True... that's kinda what Shane did with Otis. 'Course they already did have Herschel with only one leg and on crutches...

While it's understandable that Rick would be suspicious of any "outsiders", the fact is that possible storylines get limited further with each character that the writers kill off... you're gonna need more "good guys" eventually; no one's gonna be interested in a show about one or two paranoid nutcases taking turns acting mentally unbalanced.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #337
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

I really liked the movie, "Fido".
huh?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #338
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I love that Carl killed that kid. Finally someone from the prison other than Glenn grows some balls. And kid or not the guy Carl killed came to kill the prison group. No room for compassion in that situation, and Herschell can shove that stump up his ass if he disagrees. I applauded when I saw that Andrea got bit, I have hated her character since damn near the first episode I saw with her in it.

My main issue is nothing happened this season
It was all lead up to absolutely nothing.
Glenn is the bad ass. He has really grown into the part. He kicks ass and ****s the Hershell's daughter even as a Korean in the South. Now that is a bad ass.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #339
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
True... that's kinda what Shane did with Otis. 'Course they already did have Herschel with only one leg and on crutches...

While it's understandable that Rick would be suspicious of any "outsiders", the fact is that possible storylines get limited further with each character that the writers kill off... you're gonna need more "good guys" eventually; no one's gonna be interested in a show about one or two paranoid nutcases taking turns acting mentally unbalanced.
Shane is the one that ****ed over Otis.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #340
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Shane is the one that ****ed over Otis.
Yep... Shane was entirely in it for himself and really didn't care about anyone else. He would compromise his integrity in a heartbeat if doing so benefited him in any way. It was... unfortunate... that Carl looked up to him so much because he was too young to see the major flaws in Shane's character.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #341
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The appeal is that it takes a typical movie genre and extends it into a series. Most of the good zombie movies (Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, 28 days/weeks later, etc..) all create this interesting world and then the movie ends. The Walking Dead started out quite well by creating interesting characters and a world that you wanted to see past the normal movie. Where they failed is once they got out of Atlanta they spent way too much time developing characters that frankly we don't care about.

In the end we only end up with a few characters that we care about and they unintentionaly had created characters that we want to die (Andrea anybody?).

They have also borrowed from other series like Lost, Jericho, and Battlestar Gallactica. When a society breaks down from an outside force how does humanity react and adapt to meet the new challenge. How do former values become reduced to nothing Their problem is the handle this in an uninteresting way.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #342
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

No more guard towers at the prison, after being destroyed by an RPG. If Rick was smart, he'd get the military trucks with 50-cal machine guns.

Now that Rick's group has taken on so many people, they will need to figure out a way to generate a lot more food. How did Woodbury do it?

The problem is, the governor knows where they are, and can easily pick-off anyone who leaves the prison walls.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #343
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

In the comic, a lot more time passed at the prison before the conflict with the Governor arose. In that time, they'd started gardening on the grounds. The comic did a better job establishing the prison as a desirable place to hold up in a zombie apocalypse. I was surprised the Prison and Governer storylines weren't finished this season but perhaps with the season break and the new refugees/redshirts, they'll have a time lapse and show some of that being established while the Governor and his henchmen go off and find a new army to come and mess everything up.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #344
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Yep... Shane was entirely in it for himself
Yup. And he took what he wanted.

Shane even took Lori doggie-style in the woods before Rick came back. Shane wants doggie.....Shane GETS doggie.

Doggie-style still rocks, btw.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #345
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
...i just dont get the appeal. And you can explain it to me and i still won't get it.
Pretty simple. It's "different", and no matter how bad it is (and it's not that bad) it's still "better" than 90% of the other TV viewing options.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #346
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Yep... Shane was entirely in it for himself and really didn't care about anyone else. He would compromise his integrity in a heartbeat if doing so benefited him in any way. It was... unfortunate... that Carl looked up to him so much because he was too young to see the major flaws in Shane's character.
But he did buzz his hair after he left Otis for dead so he must have felt guilt...or he was ready to kick ass by all means necessary and was looking the part.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #347
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh?? View Post
I really liked the movie, "Fido".
Fido was awesome.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #348
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
Doggie-style still rocks, btw.
Face down, *** up! That's the way we like to ****!
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #349
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
But he did buzz his hair after he left Otis for dead so he must have felt guilt...or he was ready to kick ass by all means necessary and was looking the part.
The latter sounds more likely to me... if he were feeling guilt, then logic would suggest that he would have wanted to make amends to Herschel's family (for killing Otis) instead of defying Herschel at every turn; from wanting the group to just take over the farm and all of its resources to going in and killing the zombies in the barn with full knowledge that Herschel considered them "still human; just ill". A man who feels guilty doesn't threaten others in the group (like Shane threatened Dale) or plan the murder of his best friend in order to resume an affair with his wife.

It seemed to me that Shane had gotten very good at rationalizing all of the reasons why it should be ok for him to just take whatever he wanted and kill anyone who stood in his way. His character flaws were not all that different from the Governor's... he just wasn't as deranged/mentally unhinged. Both men pretended to be "only doing it for the good of the group" when in reality, what they wanted was unquestioned, unchallenged power of leadership, up to and including the power to determine life or death for anyone who dared to stand up to them.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #350
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

This show sucks
I watched like half of season 1 and actually thought it was interesting

But did not watch after that until about a couple weeks ago
Watched the last few episodes and holy crap I did not know someone could make a zombie apocalypse so boring

Obviously I have missed several episodes but from what I have seen I do not quite see the hype
Br0nc0Buster is online now   Reply With Quote